Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (33380 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Pidgin English' A Case Study. / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by calcal: 12:13am On Apr 08, 2013
If the Prof. from Harvard Business School is smart he wouldn't be there on paycheck to paycheck.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by trolling(m): 12:13am On Apr 08, 2013
Ain't no such thing as good English that language is bastardized... A language that is regarded as defiled by scriptures... You'll be surprised that those language is dedicated to pagan deities
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by emmatok(m): 12:14am On Apr 08, 2013
pro01:

Therein lies the defect in your argument. English doesn't "just happen to be" the language of instruction. It IS the language of instruction for just about any course in Nigeria - including "scientific" and professional disciplines. If you cannot communicate effectively in the language in which you learnt whatever you claim to know, then it is difficult to convince anyone about how you managed to gain such knowledge (considering that it was taught in the same language that you struggle to communicate in).

Having said that, I subscribe totally to the Theory of Multiple Intelligences (Howard Gardner), especially in terms of the idea of a wide range of cognitive abilities. Language and communication skills/ability is only one aspect of intelligence; there are several others - all of which can make an individual successful in their chosen careers, regardless of deficiencies in other areas.

Sorry, ENGLISH IS A LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION, if you live in Francophone country you will read, write and communicate in French.
How do you think an English Professor will perform in Portugal.

That is why Mathematics, and other scientific courses has universal standard irrespective of language.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ygenius: 12:15am On Apr 08, 2013
my brother can solve any algebraic mathematics but cant read................i see wonder but there is that natural intelligence in him

CFCfan: Speaking/writing good English is a sign of an educated person, not necessarily an intelligent one. For instance, a PHD holder may not know how to preserve cooked food, while someone who only has a WAEC certificate may know such.
CFCfan: Speaking/writing good English is a sign of an educated person, not necessarily an intelligent one. For instance, a PHD holder may not know how to preserve cooked food, while someone who only has a WAEC certificate may know such.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Abrantie: 12:17am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx: Lmao... Good English is overrated as fvck hence why certain folks have embraced verbosity and stupidity just to impress less-intelligent people with their fvckery... Perhaps, that's why most people from my school of thought think intelligence itself is overrated, to be honest...

Mastery of the English language is about how direct and precise you're and, also your ability to be able to communicate and get your message across... Anything else is just utter tosh!!

What!?

Doesn't anyone get the point? It doesn't matter for squat that what Shymexx considers a fair shake, the rest of us consider a repressive, humiliating, culture-stripping experience. What's far more relevant is that I wouldn't waste my time trying to counteract the subtle but pervasive social message that says that the ancient Egyptians used psychic powers to build the pyramids if Shymexx's diegeses weren't parroted by so many impertinent draffsacks.

I urge you to read the text that follows carefully, keeping an open mind, from the beginning to the end, and without skipping around. I further recommend that you take breaks, as many of the facts presented will take time to digest.

Far too many people tolerate Shymexx's biases as long as they're presented in small, seemingly harmless doses. What these people fail to realize, however, is that we are at a crossroads. One road leads into the light of a bright, shining future in which treasonous, incompetent big-mouths like Shymexx are thoroughly absent. The other road leads into the darkness of larrikinism. The question, therefore, is: Who's driving the bus? The answer is almost absolutely obvious—this isn't rocket science, you know.

The key is that Shymexx claims to have donated a lot of money to charity over the past few years. I suspect that the nullibicity of those donations would become apparent if one were to audit Shymexx's books—unless, of course, "charity" includes Shymexx-run organizations that put a drossy spin on important issues. In that case, I'd say that Shymexx has been ruining people's lives.

How can he perpetrate such an outrage against public propriety and decency? I'll tell you what I think the answer is. I can't prove it, but if I'm correct, events soon will prove me right. I think that if he is going to talk about higher standards then he needs to live by those higher standards.

Because of Shymexx's obsession with moral relativism, he has not yet been successful at gagging free speech. Still, give him some time, and I'm sure he'll figure out how to do something at least that manipulative, probably more so. In any event, if I had to choose between chopping onions and helping Shymexx pilfer the national treasure, I'd be in the kitchen in an instant. Although both alternatives make me cry, the deciding factor for me is that I realize that some people may have trouble reading this letter.

Granted, not everyone knows what "thymolsulphonephthalein" means, but it's nevertheless easy to understand that I fully intend to tell the truth about Shymexx. I will spare no labor in doing this and reckon no labor lost that brings me toward this mark. Even so, some jejune schmucks are actually considering helping Shymexx use "pressure tactics"—that's a euphemism for "torture"—to coerce ordinary people into forcing women to live by restrictive standards not applicable to men. How quickly such people forget that they were lied to, made fun of, and ridiculed by Shymexx on numerous occasions.

That's all I have to say about Shymexx so I guess I'll stop writing now. Oh, and Shymexx: Before you start formulating a smart reply, don't bother because I'm just not interested. grin grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ITbomb(m): 12:20am On Apr 08, 2013
With these reasoning , Chinese would be the most backward people on earth
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ocheejemb: 12:22am On Apr 08, 2013
hunkydory: Speaking good english is an undisputable sign of erudition.

*English *indisputable *erudition is an overkill to use.

A primary school pupil could speak perfect English, does that make them erudite?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by trolling(m): 12:22am On Apr 08, 2013
Zephaniah 3:9 KJV
For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by olapluto(m): 12:23am On Apr 08, 2013
I dont believe in 'good english'. Communication is the 'koko'. If you are good in English and go to Germany, you will still look uneducated as you are not literate in German terms.

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by maclatunji: 12:23am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?

Speaking good English has little to do with your accent. Kofi Annan and Wole Soyinka don't speak with foreign accents but do speak good English.

Talking about speaking good English as an indicator of quality education or intelligence, I have to say that in countries where English is the language of instruction in schools, this is largely true. For example, I can tell fairly accurately how intelligent one is just by reading their 'English' on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by illicit(m): 12:27am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva:

I beg to disagree. It's not like we go to school to learn english. We go there to learn different subjects. English just happens to be the language of instruction. I've seen people who are very good in Maths and the sciences but are deficient in communicating well in English. Does it mean they're less intelligent than someone who speaks impeccable english but is horrible at maths and other subjects? I believe that if a Yoruba person from Ogbomoso or an Igbo person from Ohafia are taught in the language they understand perfectly(Yoruba and Igbo), they will do better than another Nigerian that was taught in English. It can be difficult learning something with a language that you're minimally conversant with.
afam may ur days be long as u just spoke my mind, i do always tel any1 dat som students fail maths simply dey dnt even get d language of instruction, put d same question to dem in dia native tongue and dey give u ur answer b4 u even finish it, dis myt be odd, but i heard God answers u faster wen u cal Him n say prayers in ur native tongue...
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by logica(m): 12:27am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?
Guy, why not learn to speak without that strong Igbotic accent eh? So they can think you are intelligent... grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by maclatunji: 12:28am On Apr 08, 2013
ITbomb: With these reasoning , Chinese would be the most backward people on earth

It is all about the language you were taught in. For the Chinese, speaking good Chinese would be an indicator of quality education and/or intelligence.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by illicit(m): 12:29am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva:

I beg to disagree. It's not like we go to school to learn english. We go there to learn different subjects. English just happens to be the language of instruction. I've seen people who are very good in Maths and the sciences but are deficient in communicating well in English. Does it mean they're less intelligent than someone who speaks impeccable english but is horrible at maths and other subjects? I believe that if a Yoruba person from Ogbomoso or an Igbo person from Ohafia are taught in the language they understand perfectly(Yoruba and Igbo), they will do better than another Nigerian that was taught in English. It can be difficult learning something with a language that you're minimally conversant with.
afam may ur days be long as u just spoke my mind, i do always tel any1 dat som students fail maths simply dey dnt even get d language of instruction, put d same question to dem in dia native tongue and dey give u ur answer b4 u even finish it, dis myt be odd, but i heard God answers u faster wen u cal Him n say prayers in ur native tongue...
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by NoobSaibot1: 12:34am On Apr 08, 2013
maclatunji:

Speaking good English has little to do with your accent. Kofi Annan and Wole Soyinka don't speak with foreign accents but do speak good English.

Talking about speaking good English as an indicator of quality education or intelligence, I have to say that in countries where English is the language of instruction in schools, this is largely true. For example, I can tell fairly accurately how intelligent how one is just by reading their 'English' on Nairaland.

You have laid bare my mind!
You succinctly hit the nail on the head!
Gracias!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ocheejemb: 12:36am On Apr 08, 2013
In my opinion, knowing how to speak good English is a sign of having had a good primary and possibly secondary school education. Also a sign you come from an enlightened, privileged background.
It doesn't mean you are intelligent or anything, especially when you actually went to good schools and your parents speak good English because they also went to good schools and their parents also spoke good English because etc etc.
If I meet you, as a fellow Nigerian, and you are there making all sorts of grammatical errors and what not, then I automatically think, you learnt English relatively late in life as a second language, probably because you went to a village primary school. Of course, this has nothing to do with your intelligence levels.

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 08, 2013
Intelligence is a vast concept and can be applied to any form of knowledge application

Some people are good at mathematics more than language..... Won't they also be considered intelligent?

Some people are good at art, are exceptionally good @ musical instrument.....Won't they also be considered intelligent?

Mastery of language can also be considered a form of intelligence, but people shouldn't put too much significance to

it... Most people are good orators and can speak English with great fluency, it's not a guarantee that they will be excellent at other things.

However, speaking good English could indicate that you went to school and attained a level of formal education.

I won't judge a prospective partner based on her fluency in English if she has other tangible qualities she would bring to our relationship....

You can always get better at speaking any language and like I said, too much emphasis shouldn't be placed on it..

P.S Our local languages are dying as we all join this frenzy delusion of who speaks the best English... It ain't our language and I fear our own languages could become extinct...
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Tinyemeka(m): 12:39am On Apr 08, 2013
Louis Pasteur, Niels Bohr, Archimedes, etc were all highly intelligent and educated men, who I'm very certain, could not even speak English. So where lies the validity of your question?

I've seen several people who speak so-called "phonee" English (TV and radio presenters inclusive) but are knowledge deficient and terrible spellers of those same English words when called upon to deliver. So can you then conclude that they are educated? I'd say yes to an extent.

The ability to speak fluent and perfect English is not a determi ant of ones intelligence or knowledge.

Most of the English language, accent, intonations, are learnt off of the TV these days. undecided
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by illicit(m): 12:39am On Apr 08, 2013
I ve me folks dat speak impecable queens english but cant write simple job applications, even their handwritting na quarell
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 08, 2013

This thread is NOT about intelligence and wisdom, its about the knowledge of English as a measure of Education.

Knowledge of English is a pre-requisite needed to access other body of intelligence and knowledge. There is nothing one can actually achieve without adept knowledge of English words, letters and lexicon as a means of communication and induction. Yes, I concur that speaking good English is an indication that one is properly lettered and is capable of being more educated than other inglorious mediocres.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by masterkey11: 12:43am On Apr 08, 2013

Jessinta speaks the best english in my class but tell her to write down any of those grammars,gboge go start,oga @ d top was a graduate but couldn't xpress himself properly nor understand simple question.Same as GEJ,he's passed through many levels of education,but his xpresions can't b compared 2 dat of fashola or tinubu,check his interviews.. So I think d answer to your question is YOU CAN'T BE GOOD @ everything,good xample is d@ of a goood mathematician that can speak eng fluently.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ak47mann(m): 12:49am On Apr 08, 2013
If you command good English you can enter places any where in the world,be it government officials,business interactions, top jobs,even if you command good English as a black man in london the law will treat you with max respect,e.i police immigration officials,royal majesty,H.M customs, court of law will always treat you differently... cool cool
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:00am On Apr 08, 2013
maclatunji:

Talking about speaking good English as an indicator of quality education or intelligence, I have to say that in countries where English is the language of instruction in schools, this is largely true. For example, I can tell fairly accurately how intelligent how one is just by reading their 'English' on Nairaland.

Is your English that good, though??
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:00am On Apr 08, 2013
ITbomb: With these reasoning , Chinese would be the most backward people on earth
I swear I was gonna say the same thing. Going by his logic, Asians would be the dumbest people around.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by cantell(m): 1:01am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx: Being smart is about your problem solving skills... It has nothing to do with the mastery of any language - English inclusive... Some of the smartest people on this planet are not even educated...

For example: I'll listen to 50cent talk about business before any Prof. from Harvard Business School, or LSE, to be honest...
You have a good head on ur shoulders but you hardly make good use of it.
If majority of ur posts were like this one, you'd probably be a. . . .i reserve my comment.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:03am On Apr 08, 2013
isn't it funny that most of the loudest voices on this thread who claim to have the ability discern a person's intelligence by the mastery of the language have awful sentence construction skills??
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:05am On Apr 08, 2013
cantell:
You have a good head on ur shoulders but you hardly make good use of it.
If majority of ur posts were like this one, you'd probably be a. . . .i reserve my comment.

Bro., I just clown around on here - nl isn't the best place to display your wit... Most of the clowns on here only worship tribal sentiments, multi-syllable words induced English, and verbosity... wink

Anyway, I'm still a ghetto boy!!! grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 1:07am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx: isn't it funny that most of the loudest voices on this thread who claim to have the ability discern a person's intelligence by the mastery of the language have awful sentence construction skills??

you have to be intelligent to master english language that happens to be a second language for most nigerians. putting the chinese people or the french into this is another argument entirely. for starters, english is not their official language, english is the official language in nigeria so where's the comparison?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 08, 2013
Drug dealers are smarter than most graduates, quote me on that...

Rastafarians are more intelligent than most university lecturers, quote me on that as well...

Word is bond!!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:10am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:
you have to be intelligent to master english language that happens to be a second language for most nigerians. putting the chinese people or the french into this is another argument entirely. for starters, english is not their official language, english is the official language in nigeria so where's the comparison?

Bro, you don't need intelligence for that... English is the official language in Nigeria!!

Personally, intelligence is about problem solving skills - anything outside that is just nonsense!! Intelligence is overrated, anyway!!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 1:10am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx: Drug dealers are smarter than most graduates, quote me on that...

Rastafarians are more intelligent than most university lecturers, quote me on that as well...

Word is bond!!

smart at what? making money or writing chemical equations?
if a drug dealer is not careful, it's the graduate that would siphon the money he stashed into another account located thousands of miles away.

shymexx:
Bro, you don't need intelligence for that... English is the official language in Nigeria!!

but it's not the mother tongue.....
people go to school to learn how to write/read and speak the language - how isn't that intelligence?

Personally, intelligence is about problem solving skills - anything outside that is just nonsense!! Intelligence is overrated, anyway!!

learning any language requires a great deal of intelligence.
people who cannot speak the language would generally run into problems when tasked to communicate in the same language. if you can speak it, you have solved the problem.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:13am On Apr 08, 2013
ola_pluto: I dont believe in 'good english'. Communication is the 'koko'. If you are good in English and go to Germany, you will still look uneducated as you are not literate in German terms.
DISCO!! grin (only if THE OP's question intentionally elated the English language above other languages.. I'm unsure if this is the case here)

A very interesting question @OP. I do believe that effective communication can be a proxy indicator of intelligence; where "intelligence" is measured by all factors that optimise us to live on this earth as humans in modern times.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IMT Student Pays School Fees Only To Find Out Department Doesn't Exist. Photos / DELSU Cut-Off Mark For All Courses 2017/2018 / What Course Can My Ward Choose With This SSCE Result?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.