Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (33379 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Pidgin English' A Case Study. / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:14am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:

smart at what? making money or writing chemical equations?
if a drug dealer is not careful, it's the graduate that would siphon the money he stashed into another account located thousands of miles away.

That's what you think, bro... You need to be able to separate real life from the four walls of a classroom... How many graduates have been able to transfer all the tosh we all get indoctrinated with in school to real life situations??
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by RealMccoy2(m): 1:16am On Apr 08, 2013
I worked with Japanese and chinese engineers that could only understand the word "food" and "Dollars" without using their translation device at work yet their production utility was higher than a Nigerian that studied English in a Nigerian university. Who cares about spoken english these days?

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 1:17am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:
That's what you think, bro... You need to be able to separate real life from the four walls of a classroom... How many graduates have been able to transfer all the tosh we all get indoctrinated with in school to real life situations??

plenty of them.....
the opportunity to showcase those acquired skills are few and far in between. so let's separate the opportunity to display the acquired skills from the ability to transform what was learnt into real life situations!

Real-Mccoy:
I worked with Japanese and chinese engineers that could only understand the word "food" and "Dollars" without using their translation device at work yet their production utility was higher than a Nigerian that studied English in a Nigerian university. Who cares about spoken english these days?

where's this company? english-speaking country?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:18am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Rastafarians are more intelligent than most university lecturers, quote me on that as well...
smiley
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:19am On Apr 08, 2013
emmatok:

Sorry, ENGLISH IS A LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION, if you live in Francophone country you will read, write and communicate in French.
How do you think an English Professor will perform in Portugal.

That is why Mathematics, and other scientific courses has universal standard irrespective of language.

Well, if one lives in a Francophone country, and one claims to be educated and intelligent, it is expected that one should be able to communicate effectively in French. . .which is the language in which one learnt all he knows or claims to know. Then again, even mathematics and other scientific courses are taught in specific languages that require comprehension skills to assimilate, and communicative skills to teach or explain. It doesn't matter if it is English, French, Portuguese, Arabic, or Mandarin. The fact remains that it is inexcusable to have a poor grasp of a language in which you received all your formal education - from primary school to tertiary level. In that case, it will be difficult to convince anyone that you know what you're doing.

However, like I mentioned earlier, it is possible to be a genius in other areas (numeracy, street-smarts, business acumen, etc) in spite of one's poor language communications skills. I am only suggesting a point of view that is widely held and certainly plausible.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 1:22am On Apr 08, 2013
pro01:

Well, if one lives in a Francophone country, and one claims to be educated and intelligent, it is expected that one should be able to communicate effectively in French. . .which is the language in which one learnt all he knows or claims to know. Then again, even mathematics and other scientific courses are taught in specific languages that require comprehension skills to assimilate, and communicative skills to teach or explain. It doesn't matter if it is English, French, Portuguese, Arabic, or Mandarin. The fact remains that it is inexcusable to have a poor grasp of a language in which you received all your formal education - from primary school to tertiary level. In that case, it will be difficult to convince anyone that you know what you're doing.

However, like I mentioned earlier, it is possible to be a genius in other areas (numeracy, street-smarts, business acumen, etc) in spite of one's poor language communications skills. I am only suggesting a point of view that is widely held and certainly plausible.

you have nailed it!

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:22am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:
plenty of them.....
the opportunity to showcase those acquired skills are few and far in between. so let's separate the opportunity to display the acquired skills from the ability to transform what was learnt into real life situations!

How do you mean "plenty of them?" For every educated id.iot with all the paper-qualifications in the world - I'll give you a Bill Gate, or 50cent... Also, we don't even need 90% of the tosh we get indoctrinated with, yet they still force us to learn these things...

Personally, I don't judge people's intelligence based on their pencraft - I judge them based on what they've got up there and how they can communicate effectively...
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:25am On Apr 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
smiley

I've met super-intelligent rastas... Benjamin Zephaniah is one of them... tongue

Benjamin Zephaniah vs. any educated writer with a Ph.D... wink
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 1:32am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:
How do you mean "plenty of them?" For every educated idiot with all the paper-qualifications in the world - I'll give you a Bill Gate, or 50cent... Also, we don't even need 90% of the tosh we get indoctrinated with, yet they still force us to learn these things...

bill gates and 50 cent didn't go to school? what are you talking about?
that they dropped out of school does not mean they never received any formal education all their lives. people tend to get it wrong when they mention bill gates like he's a complete illiterate. no he's not - he got into havard(scored 1590 out of 1600 in SAT).

Personally, I don't judge people's intelligence based on their pencraft - I judge them based on what they've got up there and how they can communicate effectively...

you have to go to school and receive some formal education before you can even have anything upstairs. sit a child down at home to eat and drink......no exposure at all then come back and tell me how that child would show any form of intelligence - na yam?

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:37am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

I've met super-intelligent rastas... Benjamin Zephaniah is one of them... tongue

Benjamin Zephaniah vs. any educated writer with a Ph.D... wink
.. then you must also be a guardian reader grin. I've only read his articles on there and when I have the chance. I appreciate his clarity. I wonder what you, the real life not-so-"shy-me", could have discussed upon meeting him?

I grew up living with Rasta's ya know. Very conscious people that shaped my early years smiley.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:38am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:
bill gates and 50 cent didn't go to school? what are you talking about?
that they dropped out of school does not mean they never received any formal education all their lives. people tend to get it wrong when they mention bill gates like he's a complete illiterate. no he's not - he got into havard(scored 1590 out of 1600 in SAT).

We judge a person's level of education based on the qualifications they attained... and since Bill Gates and 50cent, never went beyond the G.E.D level; they're both basically "illiterates." Whatever he got in SAT is irrelevant here - that won't get him a top executive job in a Fortune 500 company!

you have to go to school and receive some formal education before you can even have anything upstairs. sit a chils down at home to eat and drink......no exposure at all then come back and tell me how that child would show any form of intelligence - na yam?

Intelligence has nothing to do with all that... Language is means of communicating with one another, you can't use it as a pretext to ascertain a person's intelligence...

What about dyslexic people??
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:41am On Apr 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
.. then you must also be a guardian reader grin. I've only read his articles on there and when I have the chance. I appreciate his clarity. I wonder what you, the real life not-so-"shy-me", could have discussed upon meeting him?

I grew up living with Rasta's ya know. Very conscious people that shaped my early years smiley.

Lmaoo... I'm an avid Guardian reader and also a big fan of Benjamin...

Anyway, I'm about to change my handle to "ShymexxLion" to support my rasta brothers!! Jah bless!! cool
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:44am On Apr 08, 2013
Show me you're intelligent with content like: Katsumoto, Egba_girl, eGuerilla etc.. I honestly don't care about how many irrelevant multi-syllable words or verbose you inject into your style of writing, to be honest..
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 1:46am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:
We judge a person's level of education based on the qualifications they attained... and since Bill Gates and 50cent, never went beyond the G.E.D level; they're both basically "illiterates." Whatever he got in SAT is irrelevant here - that won't get him a top executive job in a Fortune 500 company!

that would be the same bill gates that reached the sophomore year in havard, scored 1590/1600. an illiterate cannot read and write therefore 50 cent or bill gates cannot be illiterates. that argument is washed up. you need 300 credits to graduate from college. you completed yours and i completed 295 of mine. you graduated and i did not - are you trying to say 5 credit points is the difference between the literacy and the illiteracy levels between us? come on - it cannot be!

Intelligence has nothing to do with all that... Language is means of communicating with one another, you can't use it as a pretext to ascertain a person's intelligence...
What about dyslexic people??

if you cannot grasp the command of any language you were taught from your childhood to adolescence then you are not intelligent - it's as simple as that. dyslexic people have an ailment. you are throwing another matter into debate bringing that up!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:48am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Lmaoo... I'm an avid Guardian reader and also a big fan of Benjamin...

Anyway, I'm about to change my handle to "ShymexxLion" to support my rasta brothers!! Jah bless!! cool
*longest hiss*

Haile Selassie is choking on the dust created when he turned vigorously in his grave cry grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:48am On Apr 08, 2013
Ishsoph: @op u push me to conclude that u wanna use this thread to giv urself a pat at d back 4 all d gbaguans u write/intend to spew on this forum. And possibly use it to redeem ur fast eroding respect nd confidence here too. Honestly how many educated not-so-smarts would use "suggest that" twice in a line of writen sentence? That teeters on lack of choice of words(which ofcourse abound) to dsplace ur "suggest that". Heck! U'd "heard some girls say THINGS like" whoever makes poor choice of words like this ntori Olowun! Whatever happens to atleast "makes STATEMENTS/COMMENTS like this"? Then comes ur "been" in place of "BEING". Obviously this is not an expository essay, but u could have redeem ur image by a good write up seeing that u are talking about "good english(well spoken english), education n intelligence. Abeg am off to my bed. Wont be a contributor in mediocre's thread. Hoping am not ban by morning sha(for sure u'll hide my post).

Well the op is correct, ability to speak good English is not a determinant of someone intelligent. Taking you as a case study ..... You just show us how good you are at speaking and writing English but messed up big time cos u are far from being intelligent, Can't u just correct in a mannerly way instead of bashing the writer??
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 08, 2013
Ishsoph: @op u push me to conclude that u wanna use this thread to giv urself a pat at d back 4 all d gbaguans u write/intend to spew on this forum. And possibly use it to redeem ur fast eroding respect nd confidence here too. Honestly how many educated not-so-smarts would use "suggest that" twice in a line of writen sentence? That teeters on lack of choice of words(which ofcourse abound) to dsplace ur "suggest that". Heck! U'd "heard some girls say THINGS like" whoever makes poor choice of words like this ntori Olowun! Whatever happens to atleast "makes STATEMENTS/COMMENTS like this"? Then comes ur "been" in place of "BEING". Obviously this is not an expository essay, but u could have redeem ur image by a good write up seeing that u are talking about "good english(well spoken english), education n intelligence. Abeg am off to my bed. Wont be a contributor in mediocre's thread. Hoping am not ban by morning sha(for sure u'll hide my post).

Well the op is correct, ability to speak good English is not a determinant of someone intelligent. Taking you as a case study ..... You just show us how good you are at speaking and writing English but messed up big time cos u are far from being intelligent, Can't u just correct in a mannerly way without you bashing the writer??

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by yinkuschua(m): 1:49am On Apr 08, 2013
omicron: Wisdom..... Bring a case of conflict or crime to a wise village elder and he would analyse and resolve it same way an iconic justice from Harvard would have. That is wisdom! He may not be able to learn English or any other language as much as you could, he may not be able to read or write, but he is wise.

Intelligence...ok, both of us are Igbos and we are to learn English. Having been exposed to the same learning condtions, you could speak English better than me. I think you are more intelligent.

Education...you have gone to school or exposed to some specific learning, leading you to acquire certain knowledge or skills that you wouldnt ordinarily have acquired such as reading and writing or solving mathematic equations. You may not be wise, nor must you be so intelligent, but you have got some education. But in the end, the measure of education is the measure sum total of what someone knows and is.

All of them are related though, but we confuse them a lot. Speaking English is not an absolute sign of education since those that speak it as first language do not necesarry need any 'education' to learn it. On the other hand, since the more intelligent people learn better and faster, to some extent, the person who has learnt better is supppsed to be better educated, or learned.

Smartness is a different thing altogether.

You're absolutely right..

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:53am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:
that would be the same bill gates that reached the sophomore year in havard, scored 1590/1600. an illiterate cannot read and write therefore 50 cent or bill gates cannot be illiterates. that argument is washed up. you need 300 credits to graduate from college. you completed yours and i completed 295 of mine. you graduated and i did not - are you trying to say 5 credit points is the difference literacy and the illiteracy levels between us? come on - it cannot be!

However, can he get a top executive, or just a normal graduate job with a blue-chip company - yes or no??

if you cannot grasp the command of any language you were taught from your childhood to adolescence then you are not intelligent - it's as simple as that. dyslexic people have an ailment. you are throwing another matter into debate bringing that up!

You need to understand that our brains function differently and our ability to grasp things is also different... That's what makes us human because we're all different... So, judging a person's intelligence based on his/her ability to grasp a language and not his/her ability get things done in the real world is just asinine, to be honest...
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by MacLovington(m): 1:54am On Apr 08, 2013
@Afam,

What is good English in the African context? Is it verbosity like the "lugubrious" Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon, putting on a fake accent like some of our "jerry curl" pastors or just fluency?

Oratory is a natural ability which even ancient Romans knew and people went far and wide to polish theirs. Many people who wanted to progress in the cursus honorum even went to Greece to learn it.
Cicero was an orator of note.

If you go to your village frequently enough you will have noticed that certain people speak more in the elders' council because they are good at it. Now such old men, if they had gone to UI in 1949 to study, they might have become very good English speakers irrespective of intelligence.

A lot of Cantab and Oxon products with a D. Phil that I know are not very very good English speakers, even with English as native tongue. So intelligence and education don't mean you will be an excellent English speaker.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:55am On Apr 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
*longest hiss*

Haile Selassie is choking on the dust created when he turned vigorously in his grave cry grin

Err... I was trying to join the rasta movement for you, sis... grin - change of heart.. angry

Gatts act Jamaican for my future Jamaican Queen friend.. lipsrsealed
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 1:59am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
There are people who never went to school but are fluent in English. Does it mean they're educated?

It is absolutely not possible, bro. If someone did not attend school, he or she could be speaking English but the fluency of the English would be lacking.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 2:01am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:
However, can he get a top executive, or just a normal graduate job with a blue-chip company - yes or no??

why not?
he didn't drop out because he is a dullard - he dropped out to pursue his dreams. SAT is a much harder exam to pass than GED and his high score of 1590/1600 shows he's more intelligent than any nigerian graduate that has ever taken the exam. so bill gates wasn't a dullard and there are plenty of jobs he could have gotten without a college degree.....

You need to understand that our brains function differently and our ability to grasp things is also different... That's what makes us human because we're all different... So, judging a person's intelligence based on his/her ability to grasp a language and not his/her ability get things done in the real world is just asinine, to be honest...

even dogs with lower intelligence grasp language not to talk of humans!
any human being that was taught and trained in a particular language for 15 years should be able to grasp a good command of that language. if he fails at it then that human being is not intelligent!

the people throwing asians and germans who cannot speak english into this are just pissing in the wind.....english is not the official language in china, mandarin is! so i would not expect such people to speak english language fluently. however, nigerians are taught A, B, C throughout their lifetime so what's the excuse?

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Obiagu1(m): 2:01am On Apr 08, 2013
I have an IQ of 145 but my written and spoken English is not so good, though I am well educated.
Does it mean I am a dunce?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 2:03am On Apr 08, 2013
Obiagu1: I have an IQ of 145 but my written and spoken English is not so good, though I am well educated.

were you taught to write and speak english language all your life? if yes - i doubt your IQ is 145, it's probably 25. cheesy grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by koruji(m): 2:06am On Apr 08, 2013
Intelligence cannot be measured based on a single subject.
Someone might not learn English very well, but be a wizkid at math.
Those who learn English better are simply more attuned to become "liguists", similarly those who learn math better are likely to understand the sciences better.

Intelligence escapes measure, even the so-called IQ fails woefully.
I like the following response to a question about Einstein's IQ:

Einstein never took an IQ test (they are a fairly recent development) so no one knows what his IQ is. But the fact that he was brilliant in some fields doesn't mean he would have had a high IQ. There are people, called 'idiot savants' who are incredibly brilliant in one field, but hopeless at other things. For some reason, mathematics is often the field of special intensity - they can calculate numbers in their heads that you or I would have trouble entering into a computer, and solve them faster than the computer. They can tell you what day of the week any date in history was, or project it forward into the future. But they may not be able to figure out how to get across town on a bus. So IQ, no matter how high it is, doesn't always indicate brilliance. And your personal IQ can and does vary over your lifetime, so it isn't a set number.

It is used as a guide, however. IQs of under 80 are generally deemed to need assisted living conditions, those with IQs over 135 are MENSA level. These are people who sit around and do math problems for fun and find sudoko and crosswords much too easy.

Some people with high IQs are not especially socially adept, because they can't undestand how other people (with lower IQs) have such trouble understanding things that come naturally to them. Others with high IQs are wonderful, kind and caring people. So there aren't really any generalizations you can make about people with high or low IQs.

omicron: No we don't go to school to learn English but we do English as a subject too. And recall I said after the two people have been exposed to the same learning conditions. I used the illustration simply to suggest that 'intelligence' is the ability to learn...the more intelligent, the better and faster the learning.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by MacLovington(m): 2:07am On Apr 08, 2013
Obiagu1: I have an IQ of 145 but my written and spoken English is not so good, though I am well educated.

Even though I think IQ test is overated(too Caucasian-orientated), you are not a dunce!

Some of the smartest people I have seen (Mathematicians, medics, scientists etc) don't speak great English.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coogar: 2:09am On Apr 08, 2013
MacLovington: .
Even though I think IQ test is overated(too Caucasian-orientated), you are not a dunce!

Some of the smartest people I have seen (Mathematicians, medics, scientists etc) don't speak great English.

you would find out majority of these people didn't learn english while growing up as well. this is a different argument. you would be hard pressed to find an english mathematician/medic/scientist that cannot write or speak english.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:10am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Err... I was trying to join the rasta movement for you, sis... grin - change of heart.. angry

Gatts act Jamaican for my future Jamaican Queen friend.. lipsrsealed
lipsrsealed [s]singing "if you like it then you could just build ah sp1iff for it"[/s]

I'm not Rastafari. Goodnight grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:13am On Apr 08, 2013
danniyal: English language is just a means of communication like any other language on earth.A young lad that is being spoken to in english will grow up to speak good english even without going to school at all.The chinese, russians etc dont speak english yet they are very intelligent people and doing better than us with all our big big grammar.We should judge intelligence based on ones ability to carry out effectively the tasks given to him

I know whites in U.S who English happens to be their first and only language but they can't speak well spoken English. My former Manager is one of these people.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:
why not?
he didn't drop out because he is a dullard - he dropped out to pursue his dreams. SAT is a much harder exam to pass than GED and his high score of 1590/1600 shows he's more intelligent than any nigerian graduate that has ever taken the exam. so bill gates wasn't a dullard and there are plenty of jobs he could have gotten without a college degree.....

And who's going to give him the job without the required qualifications?? I honestly don't believe anyone is a dullard, we all just have different ways of assimilating things and we also function differently... Nas is arguably the most intelligent rapper ever, but he dropped out in the 5th grade because he couldn't cope with education..

even dogs with lower intelligence grasp language not to talk of humans!
any human being that was taught and trained in a particular language for 15 years should be able to grasp a good command of that language. if he fails at it then that human being is not intelligent!

the people throwing asians and germans who cannot speak english into this are just pissing in the wind.....english is not the official language in china, mandarin is! so i would not expect such people to speak english language fluently. however, nigerians are taught A, B, C throughout their lifetime so what's the excuse?

Let me use myself as an example here: I'm the type that doesn't need to read much to be able to grasp things, I just need a normal explanation, and writing down things in my own words... I always end up confused and empty, every time I over-read... However, that doesn't make me more/less intelligent than other people..... There are also people out there who have to read everything in the world to be able to grasp the simplest things... but that also doesn't make them more/less intelligent than other people... And there are people whose brain cells only function when doing practical things, but can't grasp anything that has to do with reading, or anything theoretical... However, that doesn't make them more/less intelligent as well..

We all have different ways of doing thing and we're all different... So, judging intelligent based on how a person's mastery of a language is - is just not it..
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by MacLovington(m): 2:20am On Apr 08, 2013
Those who learn English better are simply more attuned to become "liguists", similarly those who learn math better are likely to understand the sciences better.

This is not entirely true. I do not see myself as superb in English but I have learnt several languages fairly easily that natives doubt if I have been around for only six months! That's because I take a language course and actually speak with natives not minding initial errors. I have been called to interprete many times.

My forte is actually maths/science.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IMT Student Pays School Fees Only To Find Out Department Doesn't Exist. Photos / What Course Can My Ward Choose With This SSCE Result? / I Support Flogging Of My Daughter - Father Of Kwara Islamic School Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.