Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? (33378 Views)

Whats The Secret Behind Speaking Good English? / Pidgin English' A Case Study. / Ghana Speak Good English More Than Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 08, 2013
MacLovington: .
Even though I think IQ test is overated(too Caucasian-orientated), you are not a dunce!

Some of the smartest people I have seen (Mathematicians, medics, scientists etc) don't speak great English.

IQ is an Eurocentric crap that shouldn't be taken seriously by any sane mind... If testosterone truly improves a person's mentally capability, then black folks should be the smartest people on this planet... Hence why I don't take the IQ crap seriously, to be honest!!

We need to change our school syllabus, make it more Afrocentric, and get white folks to come do our own Afrocentric IQ test as well!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:22am On Apr 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
lipsrsealed [s]singing "if you like it then you could just build ah sp1iff for it"[/s]

I'm not Rastafari. Goodnight grin

Night, my elusive e-love/e-crush... wink
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Obiagu1(m): 2:26am On Apr 08, 2013

Even though I think IQ test is overated(too Caucasian-orientated), you are not a dunce!

Some of the smartest people I have seen (Mathematicians, medics, scientists etc) don't speak great English.

Overrated? Maybe but it's still a good measure of intelligence.
However, using spoken English to judge non-native speakers is completely wrong (though it shouldn't be a bad as Mrs. Jonathans').
So many factors hinder ones' English knowledge development.

For native English speakers, spoken English is never a measure of intelligence or Education, as a result, some verbal tests use critical reasoning as a means of testing ones' intelligence.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by MacLovington(m): 2:27am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:

you would find out majority of these people didn't learn english while growing up as well. this is a different argument. you would be hard pressed to find an english mathematician/medic/scientist that cannot write or speak english.

I am talking of native English speakers. They even went through Oxford/Cambridge. How can they not speak English? What I mean is that they are not excellent English speakers.

They write superb English of course.

OP is talking about spoken English.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:27am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:

for any nigerian living in nigeria, the ability to write and speak english language is a big sign of intelligence. considering the fact that english is a 2nd language for the majority, mastering the language is a huge sign of intelligence.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by 360command: 2:32am On Apr 08, 2013
I have read all your comments but I did like to say you have written well. But I want you to know that some of you have made errors on this subject matter .I strongly believe that The word GOOD goes with the preposition AT and not IN.

Example :

(1)I am poor in maths but good at english

(2)I am bad at igbo too.

(3)Nairlanders are clever at answering questions.

Though I hear educated elites say 'I am not good in maths' . But I believe that the grammertical statement is wrong .
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by MacLovington(m): 2:34am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

IQ is an Eurocentric crap that shouldn't be taken seriously by any sane mind... If testosterone truly improves a person's mentally capability, then black folks should be the smartest people on this planet... Hence why I don't take the IQ crap seriously, to be honest!!

We need to change our school syllabus, make it more Afrocentric, and get white folks to come do our own Afrocentric IQ test as well!! grin

I have said many times before that until they include ways to measure respect for elders, family values, sociability,optimism in the face of challenges, hustling spirit and so on in IQ test, it will remain a measure for Western notion of intelligence. grin

My ancestors who built an advanced and flourishing empire, promoted the arts, dental surgery, textile, architecture, agric, improved war science etc cannot be relegated to dunces, just because they wouldn't have passed all these new-age IQ tests.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 2:45am On Apr 08, 2013
I have said many times before that until they include ways to measure respect for elders, family values, sociability,optimism in the face of challenges, hustling spirit and so on in IQ test, it will remain a measure for Western notion of intelligence. grin

My ancestors who built an advanced and flourishing empire,dental surgery, promoted the arts, dental surgery, textile, architecture, agric, improved war science etc cannot be relegated to dunces, just because they wouldn't have passed all these new-age IQ tests.

Lmao... Tell them bro.. Our ancestors were advanced scientists, not the watered-down superficial/make-believe crap they call; 'Science', today... Even white folks believe the ancient were more advanced, hence why they labelled their achievements: "Wonders of the World." grin

Most of these folks don't even know that the English language is the poorest language, in the world... How can you even judge a person's intelligence based on the poorest means of communication?? That's utterly disrespectful to God!!! grin
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by RealMccoy2(m): 2:53am On Apr 08, 2013
coogar:

plenty of them.....
the opportunity to showcase those acquired skills are few and far in between. so let's separate the opportunity to display the acquired skills from the ability to transform what was learnt into real life situations!

where's this company? english-speaking country?
Cisco systems is world wide . I traveled for work all over the world and these engineers are based in the USA with H1-B visas. Nigerians claim to be grammar professors yet their contribution to world growth is minus 1. Visit Japan or Taiwan and then you will understand that intelligence has nothing to do with English.

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by RealMccoy2(m): 2:54am On Apr 08, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao... Tell them bro.. Our ancestors were advanced scientists, not the watered-down superficial/make-believe crap they call; 'Science', today... Even white folks believe the ancient were more advanced, hence why they labelled their achievements: "Wonders of the World." grin

Most of these folks don't even know that the English language is the poorest language, in the world... How can you even judge a person's intelligence based on the poorest means of communication?? That's utterly disrespectful to God!!! grin
Thanks.......
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Danykooko: 2:56am On Apr 08, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Its a sign of morality....girls with bad english are mostly ashies....
Lol
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by coolzeal(m): 3:13am On Apr 08, 2013
How about the Chinese and Japanese? do they speak English to determine their success and development. Language is powerful and it seems like those who had their mother's tongue as official language progress quickly than the colonize ones. English is not our mother's tongue and does not determine how educated or intelligent we are.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by AjanleKoko: 3:28am On Apr 08, 2013
See discussion. angry
Chai. Black man don fall hand sha embarassed
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 3:40am On Apr 08, 2013
considering english as his 1st/national language, a well articulated speaker may likely be educated
as for saying this is also a sign of intelligence, is absolutely incorrect undecided
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by joyli: 3:50am On Apr 08, 2013
omicron: Wisdom..... Bring a case of conflict or crime to a wise village elder and he would analyse and resolve it same way an iconic justice from Harvard would have. That is wisdom! He may not be able to learn English or any other language as much as you could, he may not be able to read or write, but he is wise.

Intelligence...ok, both of us are Igbos and we are to learn English. Having been exposed to the same learning condtions, you could speak English better than me. I think you are more intelligent.

Education...you have gone to school or exposed to some specific learning, leading you to acquire certain knowledge or skills that you wouldnt ordinarily have acquired such as reading and writing or solving mathematic equations. You may not be wise, nor must you be so intelligent, but you have got some education. But in the end, the measure of education is the measure sum total of what someone knows and is.

All of them are related though, but we confuse them a lot. Speaking English is not an absolute sign of education since those that speak it as first language do not necesarry need any 'education' to learn it. On the other hand, since the more intelligent people learn better and faster, to some extent, the person who has learnt better is supppsed to be better educated, or learned.

Smartness is a different thing altogether.
100likes

Well said!! U find a lot of them abroad thinking they are d best, but na lie oo

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 4:47am On Apr 08, 2013
Reason ti mi ose like lati ma comment niyi. Writing skill mi bad gan! undecided
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by newpaparazzi(m): 4:57am On Apr 08, 2013
So nairalanders are capable of interllectual debates. Nice thread. Keep it coming folks.

im already tired of those worthless gossips.

Mods, beware of bringing thrash to frontpage.

TalkingToYaSelf: Neither

Intelligence is Measured by so many Expansive Vast Variables.

The Common Drug Fiend, who lurks and aimlessly roams various street corners may possibly possess more overall Varied Intelligence than your linear Harvard Grad

As Far as the Former, Not Even Worth Discussing.

Isn't this an intelligent post?
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by tinnymerit(m): 5:16am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've heard Nigerian people say things that suggest that knowing how to speak good english suggest that one is educated. How's that even possible. You see ladies saying things like "He's a nice guy and speaks very well". He speaks very well means means he speaks good english with a foreign accent and not Igbo or Yoruba. So, Why does speaking Good English translate to one been educated and smart. Can't someone who doesn't speak English be smart?
Dangote speaks nigeria English yet he pays the salary of abt 11000 graduates.Money is not directly proportional wisdom/intelligence and vice versa.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by mike404(m): 5:32am On Apr 08, 2013
jammyng: Sign of good education? Yes! Intelligence? Don't think so!
THREAD CLOSED!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by alexx187(m): 5:47am On Apr 08, 2013
larayat: D truth z...ur being able 2 converse well in english dosnt make u a grammarian....u tongue twist n people actualy tinks...wow.his/her english z good...ok...give such person a pen....n beholds u'l find cracks in d wall...
. Seriously that happens a lot to some people that feel its all about how u speak it but bottom line is can u put all those words in to paper flawlessly.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ektbear: 6:12am On Apr 08, 2013
Yes. Or at least, they are correlated. In general, being good at English/Math/etc is positively correlated with intelligence.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:20am On Apr 08, 2013
omicron: Wisdom..... Bring a case of conflict or crime to a wise village elder and he would analyse and resolve it same way an iconic justice from Harvard would have. That is wisdom! He may not be able to learn English or any other language as much as you could, he may not be able to read or write, but he is wise.

Intelligence...ok, both of us are Igbos and we are to learn English. Having been exposed to the same learning condtions, you could speak English better than me. I think you are more intelligent.

Education...you have gone to school or exposed to some specific learning, leading you to acquire certain knowledge or skills that you wouldnt ordinarily have acquired such as reading and writing or solving mathematic equations. You may not be wise, nor must you be so intelligent, but you have got some education. But in the end, the measure of education is the measure sum total of what someone knows and is.

All of them are related though, but we confuse them a lot. Speaking English is not an absolute sign of education since those that speak it as first language do not necesarry need any 'education' to learn it. On the other hand, since the more intelligent people learn better and faster, to some extent, the person who has learnt better is supppsed to be better educated, or learned.

Smartness is a different thing altogether.

Thanks Omicron, brilliant response! (there's hope for Nigerians yet).

I don't understand why people insist that being good at maths is a better measure of intelligence than being good at english. That's like saying an engineer is more intelligent than a lawyer.

Ultimately, intelligence is the degree to which your mind can discern concepts - be it laws of physics, logic or construction of sentences or understanding tenses. One person`s mind may be more discerning when it comes to the arts, another`s may be better at sciences - this does not mean that one is more intelligent than the other. The IQ tests subject people to a wide scope of concepts and one gets points for intelligence at each of these concepts. In the end, the points are summed up and, naturally, if Mr.A has more “intelligence points” than Mr.B, then Mr.A is generally more intelligent.

However, if I were recruiting any of these for a position in an Engineering department, the person with the higher IQ may not necessarily be the more intelligent to me (as revealed by my tests) because I am going to be measuring his understanding of specific concepts that are relevant to my area of interest.

So, basically, English shouldn't be seen as any less important than Math, they are both callibrations on the intelligence meter since we are subjected to perfecting both in our schools.

People who make the conscious effort to improve their spoken English even though they specialize in other fields, are honing their comm skills (like it or not - English still is our Lingua Franca), and that improves their value to organsations. It doesn't necessarily make you more intelligent but you would definitely be owning a marketable quality. And if you add the knowledge of some other Nigerian language to it, better yet.

3 Likes

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Adolite(m): 6:24am On Apr 08, 2013
Am studying in America presently, Many of white kids do always saying i dont speak good English but in my English class i got A and even A in my Speech class which some white kids got C's,so speaking english fluently does not qualify you as an intelligent or educated person..

1 Like

Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:27am On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva:

I beg to disagree. It's not like we go to school to learn english. We go there to learn different subjects. English just happens to be the language of instruction. I've seen people who are very good in Maths and the sciences but are deficient in communicating well in English. Does it mean they're less intelligent than someone who speaks impeccable english but is horrible at maths and other subjects? I believe that if a Yoruba person from Ogbomoso or an Igbo person from Ohafia are taught in the language they understand perfectly(Yoruba and Igbo), they will do better than another Nigerian that was taught in English. It can be difficult learning something with a language that you're minimally conversant with.
Of course being able τ̲̅ȍ use the english language in a manner that distinguishes one •̸№t only shows good language usage but intelligence too.Reminding you also of d fact that d english language also happens τ̲̅ȍ be d unifying language.would ‎u do a multi million naira business with a man who cannot differentiate between past and present tenseWell all said and done I still think well spoken English has a great impact in radiating confidence and success in pple ‎u deal with.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ziccoit: 6:32am On Apr 08, 2013
There is a part of the brain that controls ability to communicate. Anybody that has his well developed would get to communicate well in any Learned as well as his native language . I'm not talking of fluent-washy-washy mode of speaking but refined one.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 08, 2013
Tolexander: actually, a fluent and good spoken english is not an assay for intelligence.
Just like a house with colourful outward appearance, nice exterior design. But when the interior of the house was seen, just an opposite of the exterior.

Though i agree it is a sign of sound education which is a function of the school he went to, the environment he grew up and the kind of parents and family he has.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by nitlad: 6:44am On Apr 08, 2013
Does T.B. Joshua qualify to be described as an intelligent person? He doesn't know English for şhit! undecided

#JustAskıng
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by nitlad: 6:52am On Apr 08, 2013
There are loads of people who don't know what alphabet is formed by placing the bottöm of a bottle in a sand dune, but they make things happen through sheer intelligence!
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 6:59am On Apr 08, 2013
nitlad: Does T.B. Joshua qualify to be described as an intelligent person? He doesn't know English for şhit! undecided

#JustAskıng

Language proficiency does not always have a positive correlation with intelligence.

Examples:
Specific Language Impairment (SPI) - Normal intelligence but delayed or poor language skills.
William Syndrome - Normal or near-normal language skill but low IQ (WS is said to affect 1 in 10,000 people worldwide) shocked

At any rate, none of these conditions apply to T.B Joshua who, like most Nigerians, is fully bilingual.
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 08, 2013
Ishsoph: @op u push me to conclude that u wanna use this thread to giv urself a pat at d back 4 all d gbaguans u write/intend to spew on this forum. And possibly use it to redeem ur fast eroding respect nd confidence here too. Honestly how many educated not-so-smarts would use "suggest that" twice in a line of writen sentence? That teeters on lack of choice of words(which ofcourse abound) to dsplace ur "suggest that". Heck! U'd "heard some girls say THINGS like" whoever makes poor choice of words like this ntori Olowun! Whatever happens to atleast "makes STATEMENTS/COMMENTS like this"? Then comes ur "been" in place of "BEING". Obviously this is not an expository essay, but u could have redeem ur image by a good write up seeing that u are talking about "good english(well spoken english), education n intelligence. Abeg am off to my bed. Wont be a contributor in mediocre's thread. Hoping am not ban by morning sha(for sure u'll hide my post).

U NAILED IT
THERE'S NOTHING ELSE 2 THIS THREAD
ANYBODY WHO IS CONFIDENT IN HIS KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH WONT PUT UP (OR SUPPORT) THIS HORSESHIT
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by ayanfe09(f): 7:10am On Apr 08, 2013
I think we all are mistaking brilliancy for intelligence here.[b][/b]
Re: Good English: A Sign Of Education & Intelligence? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:16am On Apr 08, 2013
Speaking good english has nothing to do with intelligence,, you can stay @home and learn to speak good english just by hearing people speaking after all its a language,

We learn english @school becuz we have to know it to understand what we have been taught in it and most student are not that good in english but are very good in relevant subjects.

Imagine yourself been taught in your local dialect,
You wld understand it better becuz you understand your dialect very well.

Checkout all this advanced countries like japan, china, spain, russia ,Australia. Etc this are countries that don't recognise english, they teach and learn with their local dialects. And we can see how advanced they are.

Speaking good english doesn't make you wise or intelligent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

DELSU Cut-Off Mark For All Courses 2017/2018 / IMT Student Pays School Fees Only To Find Out Department Doesn't Exist. Photos / What Course Can My Ward Choose With This SSCE Result?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.