Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31497 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by ZACHIE: 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is classical
Sunny is immortal........who will outlive who?

Sunny Ade is a full course in Music

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ebenezer Obey's songs enthrall me; they make me want to cry even when I don't understand a word of it. I also enjoy Sunny Ade's songs, particularly his earlier ones.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by stedox: 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
I give to sunny ade. Actually depends on wat we appreciate best in music which encompases dance, lyrics... Got atracted 2 sunnys music at a young age cos of his soothing voice, beats and dance while obeys songs were borin and old skulish apart 4rm d likes of gbo temi buh kinda startd apreciatin his lyrics as yrs went by. Suny is proud blah blah blah...it even shows in his dance moves buh dats 1 of d tins dat got me atractd 2 him.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 12, 2013
[size=15pt]CHIEF COMMANDER EVANGELIST DR EBENEEZER OBEY FABIYI[/size]
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by sheymoni(m): 1:15pm On Apr 12, 2013
All I can say is that, these two men are greedy & selfish. they sang all the songs & there's nothing left to sing 4 the present artists apart 4rm sangalo,fonkasibe, e dey pain make I comot am e.t.c.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Gennyz(m): 1:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
Am an Igbo guy,l barely undrstd yoruba,but thn Obey traps me wit his flow,even whn l dnt undrstd the meanin of his lyrics...

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by debetmx(m): 1:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
sheymoni: All I can say is that, these two men are greedy & selfish. they sang all the songs & there's nothing left to sing 4 the present artists apart 4rm sangalo,fonkasibe, e dey pain make I comot am e.t.c.

Laugh wan kill me but seriously what are you high on?
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 12, 2013
sheymoni: All I can say is that, these two men are greedy & selfish. they sang all the songs & there's nothing left to sing 4 the present artists apart 4rm sangalo,fonkasibe, e dey pain make I comot am e.t.c.
You are a funny fellow, but come to think of it, there are a lot of germane things to sing about rather than 'nak you akpako' and 'take banana'
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by woodboi(m): 1:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey anytime any day followed by Orlando Owoh before Sunny Ade...
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77: i find it hard to believe that people would even dare to compare Obey with Sunny - even Obey himself knows that Sunny is better. To be nominated for Grammies twice, na beans? Sunny once starred in a foreign film - Stiggs and Friends or something, can't remember - KSA is known internationally and even performed as recently as last year at the Pre Olympics Music Festival in London. Ask any white man about Sunny and they'll know about him. Obey is not known beyond the shores of Nigeia wink wink wink smiley smiley
its people like u that will say dbanj is better than tuface cos he's "internationally known" forget awards and fame, talk about the music
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Teejayphillip(m): 1:25pm On Apr 12, 2013
Chief Commander Ebenezer obey takes it all....

The man is jus tu gud... I grow up wif his music and am stil listenin 2 it @ dis stage...

Composition of lyrics,d delivery of evry words,hmmmm wat more can i say.... Twaale jaare Baba Obey
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Popolanpo: 1:25pm On Apr 12, 2013
Love the two of them but I listen to Obey more.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by seye4nii(f): 1:26pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing??//??
smiley 2tru talk %
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Tunjman(m): 1:27pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ebenezer Obey all the way! Despite his retirement from stage/secular music, die-hard fans of his still invite him to perform at their events.Today's artistes (both indigenous and hip-hop) adapt his hit songs and make good music out of them. Tuface and ARA recently gave the popular track 'Baby mi jowo' a nice RnB touch and the lyrics induced a feeling of nostalgia in us, Tony tetuila's 'oyinbo repete' is also one of such evergreen songs of CCEO...Many churches sing 'Jesu Olore' today and it was this same maestro who sang it as his first post secular-music single. No KSA Album can sell as much as Obey's 'the man and the horse' album. KSA might have more international recognition but, his music isn't as classic as Obey's...Obey had 'situaion' tracks that can go with the happenings in contemporary Nigeria, one of which is ***t'aba f'owo otun b'omo wi...**. Is it feel good music you want to talk about or cool lyrics of the days when morals were held in high esteem? Ancestral panegyrics of different ethnic group that makes up the yoruba tribe are perfectly sang by chief commander ebenezer obey...He is just one of the few living music legends we have in this part of the world!

9 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by doctimi(m): 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
Music is not all about dance....though a part of it. Yea sunny ade has the dance steps, but Obey's lyric are way deep, sensational, soulish and inspiring. Well I'll dig the earlier songs of sunny. Obey still stands tall anyday! Especially...''awa l'omo abeokuta, Omo ibadan, Lagos state, epo ila, ara mi ese pele, etc......Always for Obey any day.

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nwunuken(m): 1:41pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry
why abuse? learn to respect others.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Orikinla(m): 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
It is a difficult choice.
I have been a fan of both King Sunny Ade and Rev. Ebenezer Obey for decades now.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by yemmy19(m): 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo: Please, dont compare the two of them.....Obey is class ahead of Sunny.

Sunny has the stage-craft....dancing, that is all he has over Obey!

But when it comes to music composition, arrangement, instrumentation, delivery and timeless evergreen songs....Obey is the real King!
Obey's songs are songs of yesteryears, today and the future. His gentle nature did not allow him to do / say/brag about many things...but if you really know music, you would appreciate that Obey is ahead of Sunny.

If you analyse the timing of their releases, you would realise that Sunny learnt and borrowed a lot of things from Obey's music

Seconded cry
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by seye4nii(f): 1:51pm On Apr 12, 2013
To me there music is mostly for Danfo bus drivers if you understand what I mean.
(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like),,,,,,,,,

I DO? VERY HARD 2 UNDERSTAND.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by seye4nii(f): 1:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
o me there music is mostly for Danfo bus drivers if you understand what I mean.
(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like),,,,,,,,,

I DO? VERY HARD 2 UNDERSTAND OSUPA AND PASO MUSIC,
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by warlei(m): 1:54pm On Apr 12, 2013
Awa omo ondo.my parents introduced us to both artstes but I prefer obey's lyrics they are timeless.
Sweetlipkiss: I love both of them bt i prefer sunny Ade cos hes frm my state.......Awa omo ondo.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by LushGreenz: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2013
OK PEEPS,AS THE ALHAJI JEGA OF THIS THREAD. CLICK LIKE IF YOU THINK CHIEF COMMANDER EBENEZER OBEY IS SUPERIOR

7 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by LushGreenz: 1:56pm On Apr 12, 2013
OK PEEPS,AS THE ALHAJI JEGA OF THIS THREAD. CLICK LIKE IF YOU THINK KING SUNNY ADE IS SUPERIOR

5 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Teephad(m): 2:02pm On Apr 12, 2013
No need of comparing cup with a barrel.....Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fabiyi is an evergreen living legend of juju,baba commander can compose exteporary which is one one his USP above others.What else do you want in his music that you are searching so far,the well meaning and infotainment lyrics,the heavy percussion laced with thick proverbial tenses....I give it to him today,tommorrow and for ever more......"Obey Commander,ma gbohun safefe"

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by tubolancer(m): 2:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ina ran,this generation want to end what their fathers could not finished in time past. Okay continue,as for me and my house we loved the two men. May God bless their soul.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Omega911(m): 2:17pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is simply Philosopical Lyrics and Enjoyable Mild Beats which is suitable for moods and some segments in a party.

I give it to Sunny.
Sunny rocks well, anyday!

(1) Sunny is a complete musician - Lyrics, Composition, Dance, Stage Performance, International Appeal, Funkiness, Slangs

(2) Sunny has variety
- Fast (Let them say...)
- Medium (Ori mi ye o, Easy Motion..., )
- Slow (Mo ti mo...)
- Jazzy (Kiti kiti...) He even has some jazz version of his old tracks (O boy...see composition!)

(3) Sunny's music exhibits core Yoruba Culture (Ogede - 'Ifa ma somi dalakisa jiwini...', Ewi, Proverbs, Ifa)

(4) Sunny makes you like Guitar and Talking Drum

(5) Then, while Sunny was catching up with the trend, Obey couldn't (he started telling stories...O ba millionaire lo, O fe s'odun owo, etc)

3 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Tropilo(m): 2:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is good and does more of Gospel and soul inspiring songs.

Sunny is more appealing to non-Yoruba's and far more internationally recognized.
I remember former President Bill Clinton mention him on his visit to Nigeria in his speech at the NASS in 1999.

As a non-Yoruba, i prefer Sunny cos he has style and poise.

Have watched him live in England. Dont think i can pay to watch Obey, his prowess not undermind, though. The baba can be boring!

1 Like

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 12, 2013
I prefer sunny obey and ebenezer ade.

2 Likes

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Legit: 2:28pm On Apr 12, 2013
[b][b]Chief Commander Obey.[/[/b]b] Obey's music gives us soothing msg, is like parent guiding their child. KSA is ok, but Obey is the master, remember Obey started b4 KSA. KSA learned frm Obey, Obey is a very humble man, KSA is very arrogant. My 2 pennies. Obey might be touring USA in June 2013 I saw online & heard. One fortunate and good promoter from Atlanta, USA is bringing Obey for USA tour. I cannot wait, Anybody know how to get tickets? I luv Obey's music. I will travel to the performing cities.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by metti(m): 2:35pm On Apr 12, 2013
[quote author=mikeapollo]

Why the abuse? Why the insults?

Well, I am well bred with good home-training, so I dont trade abuses and insults online.
You are free to exhibit the kind of training and upbringing you are made of.

What I wrote about Obey and Sunny are the facts. Obey was the first person to introduce multiple guitars, western drum kits among other numerous innovations, but he does not brag, unlike Sunny. Obey was the one that modernised Juju music before Sunny joined the train!

Who is Alaafin of Oyo in music? What does Alaafin know about music? What authority does Alaafin have in music?
So what happens if Ooni of Ife or any other Oba should just wake up and say some other musician is the king of Juju or Fuji or whatever? Obey avoided calls for him to be crowned as King by other Obas in Yoruba land like the Alake and Ooni.
Dont be deceived by some people who give some spurious awards to their favourite musician.May be you dont know that most of the so-called awards are solicited and arranged by the musicians themselves in order to boost their profile and marketability!Do you know how many 'Kings' we have in Fuji music now?
Well, I dont blame you if you do not know....you have already displayed your level of maturity in your first sentence

Obey is better than Sunny in all aspects of Juju music, except stagemanship and dancing.
What Obey lacks in stage craft, he covers with un-paralled ability in great lyrics, compositions, arrangement,instrumentation, percussions, delivery etc. His songs are timeless.

Obey's kind of musician is very rare...If you do not know, go and ask your elders!

Thanks for not insulting him. Some people on NL are very rude, they can't express themselves without insults Seun has to do something about these people.
Anyway I prefer Obey anytime albeit Sunny music is very fast and He is a wizard on stage. Obey plays very cool music with wise words. So it depends from the angle at which look at the two of them.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by TonySpike: 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
My Kenyan friend heard Ebenezer Obey's song, "Mo f'oro mi le e lowo", just ONCE and he started begging for it. I think Obey's music is more African in beat and rhythm, it captures the soul of African music of his time and even in these modern days. It appeals to Africans who love the excessive use of traditional drums and guitars, irrespective of the inherent language barrier. Sunny Ade, on the other hand, "adjusted" his music to suite international appeal with the use of techno and pop beats. To me, Sunny Ade is a somewhat a traitor to "proper" Yoruba and African music. He adjusted his music to conform to international (actually American and Eurocentric) appeal, no wonder he is known. On the philosophical and logical flow of music story, Obey beats Sunny hands down. Generally, Sunny is mainly a praise singer while Obey is a story teller...
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by metti(m): 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry

What makes him silly? For his views? Haba!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

DJ Barbie Mixtape "Lituation" / Murphy Ijemba Of Brila Fm Is Now With The New Max Fm / Download Full Album: Polo G – The Goat Zip, Rar & Mp3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.