Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service (23791 Views)

BBC To Launch Pidgin And Yoruba Service / Photo: Who Is "Chimaokoro63", And What Don't We Know About The Kuje Bomb Blasts? / Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by IYANGBALI: 9:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
Orikinla: Unlike Igbos and Yorubas, majority of Hausas don't understand English.
that is just the reason and also to enlighten them because they know how dangerous they are to world peace unlike the igbos and yorubas

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by naptu2: 9:47pm On Apr 11, 2013
nagoma:

The widely spoken languages like Hausa remain and have 3 programs daily

Yes, that's what I meant. Language services with lesser listenership figures are being discontinued due to cost cutting measures, therefore they won't add languages like Yoruba and Igbo, which don't have enough listeners.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by nagoma(m): 9:48pm On Apr 11, 2013
1 shortblackboy: Cause yoruba and igbo people can understand english

But can the igbos and Yorubas understand Chinese , French and German ? Hausa programs are aired daily on china , France and german radio as well.The truth is that these other languages are negligible on a world scale of languages , period.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by IYANGBALI: 9:53pm On Apr 11, 2013
Tusky44: Be like say this new mod just dey learn work o. Ikenna this is not how to ban my friend!

So u think banning can flush tribalism away? Mtcheeeeew....abeg make I go Vanguard go comment o jare. NL na ur papa investment?
I tire o
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 11, 2013
otokx: Because Hausa is more widely spoken in Western Africa and indeed Africa second only to Swahili.
Na LIE!
The issue is that those your bloodas prom the north are retardees. If not their indigenous language, na nothing. But the yorubas and the igbos, ofcourse you know now. They are the elites.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by ezeagu(m): 10:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
Hausa is not the second most spoken language in Africa, I guess you guys mean language stemming mostly from Africa?

The reason why there's not Igbo or Yoruba service is because there's no audience for it. If Yoruba and Igbo people really wanted their own BBC service they'd have one.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Siraleeyu(m): 10:06pm On Apr 11, 2013
gmyguy: i think because we are better educated and understand english
lol....nt so brox.......hausa iz more marketable.....dnt b bias......2nd most spoken lang. In Africa........accept d fact...........mayb english na ur mothers tongue
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by realist34: 10:10pm On Apr 11, 2013
Just passing ...
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by naptu2: 10:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
Foreign radio stations that broadcast to West and Central Africa in Hausa include:

1) BBC World Service.
2) Radio France Internationale.
3) China Radio International.
4) Voice of Russia World Service.
5) Voice of America.
6) Deutsche Welle.
7) IRIB

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by zaboy: 10:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
I have a question to those saying its because the Hausa people cannot understand English: BBC also has German, Dutch or French service, does that mean people in those countries dont understand english as well?

Truth is; Hausa is spoken by a larger number of people than other nigerian languages, and more importantly, the Hausa refuse to see their language and culture as inferior to the English.

It always breaks my heart when i see a nigerian that spends most or all their life in Nigeria, and yet, can't speak their native mother tongue, and are quick to dismiss other tribes as ignorant or illiterates because they speak their native languages. Thats the slave mentality...but of course, they won't agree

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Siraleeyu(m): 10:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
mmmustapha: Bakin ciki zai kashe inya muri dodon doya da yarbawa masu kolo kolo.
hahahaha.......abokina ka gane kenan
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Positiveminds(m): 10:32pm On Apr 11, 2013
Are you so dull not to know that UK , using BBC, is major sponsor of terrorism in Africa, especially in Nigeria. Why do you think they amalgamated N and S in the first place? Dull and dumb op.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by bethnals: 10:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
sweet_gala:

Exactly. The Hausa/Fulani language and culture is not exclusive to Nigeria . Chad,Cameroon,Libya and as far away as Ghana have a reasonable population of individuals who can identify with the Hausa /Fulani ethnolinguistic grouping

Fulani language is different to hausa. Hausa/fulani applies in nigeria and Niger. Those other countries fulani's only speak fula lang.
But nigeria has more fulanis than any other country.

hausa has incoporated so many other ethnic groups including fulani that there isn't really a tribe called hausa anymore. But there is a tribe called fulani.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by usayab(m): 10:53pm On Apr 11, 2013
Orikinla: Unlike Igbos and Yorubas, majority of Hausas don't understand English.
May b hausa pple don't have qualitative English teachers,those that can speak very well like madam first lady(patience jonathan)

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by anataala: 10:56pm On Apr 11, 2013
because Hausa is second most speaking language in Africa after swahili language, only in for example Igbo language is spoken only in Nigeria, and yoruba Nigeria nd Benin, But Hausa is still a leading spoken language in Nigeria,Niger,Cameroun,Ghana, and also have presence in chad,mali,gabon and so on, and BBC are intrested on popularity of language
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by anataala: 11:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
hausa is second most spoken language after swahili, you can google and see, the language is spoken in almost most west african countries and some Central African republic countries
ezeagu: Hausa is not the second most spoken language in Africa, I guess you guys mean language stemming mostly from Africa?

The reason why there's not Igbo or Yoruba service is because there's no audience for it. If Yoruba and Igbo people really wanted their own BBC service they'd have one.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by igboboy1(m): 11:02pm On Apr 11, 2013
gmyguy: i think because we are better educated and understand english

U dey carry english for head no wonder your language would soon be extinct....

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by anataala: 11:10pm On Apr 11, 2013
please tell them, sentiments doesnt have relevance in UK, the would have 1bbc yoruba nd igbo language but the amongst African minority languages in terms of number of people speaking it, and you will quite agree with me that the are hausa professors as US,UK,CHINA,FRANCE,GERMANY citizens so i believe the have seen potential in growth and expansion of the language in Africa beyond human imaginations.
mu2sa2: BBc is owned by the British govt and has been broadcasting in hausa language for over half a century. Whether we like it or not Hausa is an international language, spoken by native speakers across west africa. It is for this reason that BBc chose Hausa. Yoruba and Igbo are local champions - no native indigenous speakers outside nigeria (except maybe Benin republic which has a small yoruba population).
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by alAmin13: 11:11pm On Apr 11, 2013
It is not whether majority of Igbos and Yorubas speak english,it is because of the spread of Hausa as a language spoken in most of west and North Africa.In the whole of Africa, BBC broadcast only in swahili and Hausa simply because of their numerical strength and spread. I see it myopic and so pedestrian for one to argue that majority of Igbos and Yorubas speak english. My problem with some of you is that you easily confuse pidgin with english.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Pecca: 11:26pm On Apr 11, 2013
Eziachi: Because many Igbos and Yorubas understands spoken English and apart from the Nigerian territory or small portion Bein republic, there are no other place you find the Igbos and Yorubas, unlike Hausa language spoken in over 10 countries. Its simple economic. Market audience.

in other words, most of our hausa neighbours do not understand the queen's grammer? No wonder our independence got delayed until 1960...after the enahoro, of blessed memory, syndrom.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by ManirBK: 11:34pm On Apr 11, 2013
Bakin ciki sai ya kasheka Inyamuri Na gaba yayi gaba na baya sai labari

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:42pm On Apr 11, 2013
ezeagu: Hausa is not the second most spoken language in Africa, I guess you guys mean language stemming mostly from Africa?

Haters! Why not go get it and stop hating around this thread? Am a northerner and I know muhfakaz hate to like me and I love it. Cos when I ask "what did I do?" Speechless. Its just cos God chose to create me in northern Nigeria. Make person go fight God abeg!!! Kun ci kutumar ubanku mahassada shegu haka zaku kare aladun banza.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 11, 2013
zaboy: I have a question to those saying its because the Hausa people cannot understand English: BBC also has German, Dutch or French service, does that mean people in those countries dont understand english as well?

Truth is; Hausa is spoken by a larger number of people than other nigerian languages, and more importantly, the Hausa refuse to see their language and culture as inferior to the English.

It always breaks my heart when i see a nigerian that spends most or all their life in Nigeria, and yet, can't speak their native mother tongue, and are quick to dismiss other tribes as ignorant or illiterates because they speak their native languages. Thats the slave mentality...but of course, they won't agree
Help me tell the blocked head garri and snail eating baggaz

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
ManirBK: Bakin ciki sai ya kasheka Inyamuri Na gaba yayi gaba na baya sai labari
Rabu da shegu yan burauba haka zasu kare a hassada.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by ezeagu(m): 11:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
anataala: hausa is second most spoken language after swahili, you can google and see, the language is spoken in almost most west african countries and some Central African republic countries

Hausa is not spoken more than French, Arabic, and English.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by ezeagu(m): 11:46pm On Apr 11, 2013
Justyaxx:
Haters! Why not go get it and stop hating around this thread? Am a northerner and I know muhfakaz hate to like me and I love it. Cos when I ask "what did I do?" Speechless. Its just cos God chose to create me in northern Nigeria. Make person go fight God abeg!!! Kun ci kutumar ubanku mahassada shegu haka zaku kare aladun banza.

Why are you quoting that post?
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 11, 2013
Pecca:

in other words, most of our hausa neighbours do not understand the queen's grammer? No wonder our independence got delayed until 1960...after the enahoro, of blessed memory, syndrom.
And then the hausa neighbors who couldn't speek the queen's grammar took the stewardship of the country and left your Enahoros speaking their grammar by the sidelines.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
ezeagu:

Why are you quoting that post?
And why are you quoting this one?
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
ezeagu:

Hausa is not spoken more than French, Arabic, and English.
Go siddon for one corner joor.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by ezeagu(m): 11:51pm On Apr 11, 2013
Justyaxx:
Go siddon for one corner joor.

You're not making any kind of sense.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 11, 2013
tyadams: Na LIE!
The issue is that those your bloodas prom the north are retardees. If not their indigenous language, na nothing. But the yorubas and the igbos, ofcourse you know now. They are the elites.
Fak off Mr Na-Me-Sabi
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 11, 2013
ezeagu:

You're not making any kind of sense.
You definitely will not identify one cos you got none.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BREAKING: IGP Deploys Four Commissioners Of Police To Ogun For Elections / APC South West Governors Host Femi Gbajabiamila (Photos) / APC Crisis: 13 Governors May Leave Party, Insist On Buni As Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.