Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service (23792 Views)

BBC To Launch Pidgin And Yoruba Service / Photo: Who Is "Chimaokoro63", And What Don't We Know About The Kuje Bomb Blasts? / Hausa, Igbo Or Yoruba, Which Ethnic Group Controls Nigeria's Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 7:31am On Apr 12, 2013
because Hausa is not a NIGERIAN language and hausas are not Nigerians but niger and chad
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by deols(f): 7:31am On Apr 12, 2013
Have you been to some places where people ask you if you are Nigerian and then start to speak wv u in hausa?

I need to learn that language sef
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by ignis: 7:32am On Apr 12, 2013
Orikinla: Unlike Igbos and Yorubas, majority of Hausas don't understand English.
You spoke my mind.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 12, 2013
Ola Johnson: You want to start another e-tribal war? Hausa, unlike Igbo and Yoruba, is spoken in all the West African countries except Cape Verde. Besides the BBC is not a Nigerian government owned media house for any Nigeria to question the British government's rationale for having BBC Hausa Service as its only service of any Nigerian language. The poster of this thread only reminds me of the protest of some Igbo actors against DSTV for having AM Yoruba and AM Hausa only, and excluding Igbo.
AND SEE HOW YOU YOURSELF IS DIVERTING ATTENTION TO,INSTIGATING EVERYONE NOW AGAINST THE IGBOS, IS THIS FAIR? AT LEAST THE IGBOS BRINGING THAT POINT TO DSTV IS FAIR ENOUGH,ITS THE SAME WAY WE, THE NIGER DELTANS, FEEL WHEN WAZOBIA IS MENTIONE OR WHE GSM COMPANIES,ETC RENDER SERVICES IN THE SO CALLED THREE MAJOR LANGUAGES OF THE SO CALLED THREE MAJOR TRIBES WHO ARE ADRIFT AND SURVIVING SOLELY ON THE RESOURCES COMING FROM THE SO CALLED MINORITY,DAMM! MR OLA JOHNSON, I REALLY DON'T WANNA SAY THIS,BUT YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING ME SAY IT,HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE NORTHERNERS CALLING FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE BBC HAUSA SERVICE ANCHOR SOME YEARS AGO SIMPLY BECAUSE THE DUDE IS ACTUALLY A YORUBA MAN WHO IS VERY FLUENT IN THE LANGUAGE,HOW?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 12, 2013
To those who say the BBC has Hausa Service because Hausa people don't understand English, you've only shown how low your reasoning ability is and your little understanding of the power in the Hausa language. For your information, while the Fulani in the early 19th century jihad were able to conquer the Hausa politically, the Hausa conquered them linguistically; hence the Fulani rule as sultan and emires today but don't speak Fulfude, instead speak Hausa.
In the Nigerin Army and the armies of some West African countries, Hausa is used as a means communication. This was started by the Germans during the First World War.
To those that claim Hausa people are not educated, you may be right to some extent, but any Hausa that studies up to, say, the University level is not just a graduate but educated. This is unlike the Igbo that produce some iliterate graduates. A visit to any NYSC camp during orientation will prove this. Last year three "graduates" from ESUT were rejected by their PPA for not being able to write, mention the capitals of any four states, etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by DrSadikMagaji(m): 7:46am On Apr 12, 2013
50calibre: Because our colonial masters trusted the savages called Hausas and handed the reins of power to them while regarding other tribes (especially Igbos) as rebels because they knew we wouldn't be subservient to them.

Even when on the two occasions the queen visited Nigeria, she only went to the north. Now they are learning the hard way.

Mumu!!! D only tribe they trust and can be trusted are the Hausa/Fulani
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by DrSadikMagaji(m): 7:49am On Apr 12, 2013
Rotimi47: yoruba is also spoken in benin reopublic, part of togo,cote ∂ ,brazil,cuba etc so what are you saying?
[color=#000099][quote author=Rotimi47]yes. U are right but by the only yahoo bois living there
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 7:49am On Apr 12, 2013
Rexxie:
AND SEE HOW YOU YOURSELF IS DIVERTING ATTENTION TO,INSTIGATING EVERYONE NOW AGAINST THE IGBOS, IS THIS FAIR? AT LEAST THE IGBOS BRINGING THAT POINT TO DSTV IS FAIR ENOUGH,ITS THE SAME WAY WE, THE NIGER DELTANS, FEEL WHEN WAZOBIA IS MENTIONE OR WHE GSM COMPANIES,ETC RENDER SERVICES IN THE SO CALLED THREE MAJOR LANGUAGES OF THE SO CALLED THREE MAJOR TRIBES ADRIFT AND SURVIVING SOLELY ON THE RESOURCES COMING FROM THE SO CALLED MINORITY,DAMM! MR OLA JOHNSON, I REALLY DON'T WANNA SAY THIS,BUT YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING ME SAY IT,HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE NORTHERNERS CALLING FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE BBC HAUSA SERVICE ANCHOR SOME YEARS AGO SIMPLY BECAUSE THE DUDE IS ACTUALLY A YORUBA MAN WHO IS VERY FLUENT IN THE LANGUAGE,HOW?
They have every right to but it behoves the BBC, knowing full well it is not a Nigerian owned property to either or otherwise yield to them.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by DrSadikMagaji(m): 7:52am On Apr 12, 2013
jmoore: Because BBC is not owned by the Nigerian government.
Thank you!! If only you can understand what this gentle man is saying.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by mosquitoNet(m): 7:56am On Apr 12, 2013
Ola Johnson: To who say the BBC has Hausa Service because Hausa people don't understand English, you've only shown how low your reasoning ability is and your little understanding of the power in the Hausa language. For your information, while the Fulani in the early 19th century jihad were able to conquer the Hausa politically, the Hausa conquered them linguistically; hence the Fulani rule as sultan and emires today but don't speak Fulfude, instead speak Hausa.
In the Nigerin Army and the armies of some West African countries, Hausa is used as a means communication. This was started by the Germans during the First World War.
To those that claim Hausa people are not educated, you may be right to some extent, but any Hausa that studies up to, say, the University level is not just a graduate but educated. This is unlike the Igbo that produce some iliterate graduates. A visit to any NYSC camp during orientation will prove this. Last year three "graduates" from ESUT were rejected by their PPA for not being able to write, mention the capitals of any four states, etc.
Mr Ola Johnson thnks for educating this fools that's talking out of ignorance, or hatred rather. Even their grandfathers dey speak Hausa if you investigate.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by folahann(m): 8:09am On Apr 12, 2013
The ignorant OP thought Hausa is a just Nigerian language

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by sniperwolf(m): 8:13am On Apr 12, 2013
Because the illiteracy level is high in Northern Nigeria
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Arsenate(m): 8:17am On Apr 12, 2013
Glad to see the northern peeps on the thread defending themselves...loving it.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by sayusuf(m): 8:27am On Apr 12, 2013
I feel shock whenever i see somebody making proud of a foreign language and culture. chai!
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by sayusuf(m): 8:28am On Apr 12, 2013
sniperwolf: Because the illiteracy level is high in Northern Nigeria
What do you understand by illiteracy?.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 12, 2013
I've come to realize that most of the people on NL don't understand some of the topics on threads. The worse thing that can happen to a man in any academic setting or discourse is not to have a knowledge of what is being discussed but still takes part. The farther he goes the more he disgraces himself. A lot of us have shown how daft we are in our country's geography and history. If I have my way those two subjects will be made compulsory from primary to the higher institution levels. I read History in the university and I don't have regrets. I can take part in discussions on: history, politics, religion, geography, diplomacy, English studies, economy, sociology, philosophy, drama, etc, without you knowing what I read. Bob Marley in "Buffalo Soldier" said: "If you know your history then you will know where you're coming from. You wouldn't have to ask me who the hell do I think I am."
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by eaglechild: 8:36am On Apr 12, 2013
Ola Johnson: To who say the BBC has Hausa Service because Hausa people don't understand English, you've only shown how low your reasoning ability is and your little understanding of the power in the Hausa language. For your information, while the Fulani in the early 19th century jihad were able to conquer the Hausa politically, the Hausa conquered them linguistically; hence the Fulani rule as sultan and emires today but don't speak Fulfude, instead speak Hausa.

And i even heard recently that some students from Tai Solarin university and OOU(Onabisi Onubanjo University) are being considered for a nobel price in robotics having received the best training from their "secondary school university" laboratories.
They are also planning on waiving NYSC for students from AdoEkiti University as it has been noticed that a direct entry to PHD program will be more befitting after rigorous "undergraduate" tutoring in Yoruba language.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Jeejile: 8:38am On Apr 12, 2013
Go and learn about West African/African history and know about the most widely spoken languages... you ignorant fool.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by adamu50: 8:41am On Apr 12, 2013
50calibre: Because our colonial masters trusted the savages called Hausas and handed the reins of power to them while regarding other tribes (especially Igbos) as rebels because they knew we wouldn't be subservient to them.

Even when on the two occasions the queen visited Nigeria, she only went to the north. Now they are learning the hard way.

You are a foolish,Don,t you pknow that Hausa is a Language that will be spoken in the heaven?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 12, 2013
eaglechild:

And i even heard recently that some students from Tai Solarin university and OOU(Onabisi Onubanjo University) are being considered for a nobel price in robotics having received the best training from their "secondary school university" laboratories.
They are also planning on waiving NYSC for students from AdoEkiti University as it has been noticed that a direct entry to PHD program will be more befitting after rigorous "undergraduate" tutoring in Yoruba language.
You can't compare any university in South East to any in South West no matter how bad it could be. South West always take the lead. Does it not surprise you that some state-owned universities in the SW are ranked above UNN, a first generation university in the SE?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by eaglechild: 8:56am On Apr 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You can't compare any university in South East to any in South West no matter how bad it could be. South West always take the lead. Does it not surprise you that some state-owned universities in the SW are ranked above UNN, a first generation university in the SE?
According to mama Iyabo rankings?
Pls lets not derail the thread.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by zoomman(m): 8:59am On Apr 12, 2013
D relationship btw bbc nd d hausas av bn existn ryt 4rm d history of indirect rule so it shudnt b a big deal. I dnt c it as a surprise dey r jst tryn 2 modernised it. Who cares anyways. It won't reduce d price of garri in d market.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 12, 2013
eaglechild:
According to mama Iyabo rankings?
Pls lets not derail the thread.
According to Webometric ranking which placed Oba Awon University (OAU) first in Nigeria.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by mathskill: 9:48am On Apr 12, 2013
mmmustapha: n u think english is ur mother fucker language?mtsew
Humble yourself and accept corrections.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 12, 2013
Why so much hate for northerners? Wetin we do una nau? Our crime na cos God decided to create us Hausas Abi? Yeye baggaz. Any muhfucka who can't see that the simple reason is because BBC has a larger listener-base with the Hausas and is going up and down the thread hating and bitchin can come give a hug and plant a kiss on my arse.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by sweetgala(m): 10:02am On Apr 12, 2013
ezeagu:

Hausa is not spoken more than French, Arabic, and English.
None of those are indigenous African languages.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by nagoma(m): 11:01am On Apr 12, 2013
sweet_gala:

we are talking international.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by nagoma(m): 11:03am On Apr 12, 2013
sweet_gala:

At that International level Hausa is not competing with localized forest languages like Igbo and Yoruba but with widely spoken well developed languages on the world stage. You should be proud that Hausa is representing all of you small west African tribal groups.if not you would have to depend on swahili. And I will start a free Hausa lesson for you the primeval on NL.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by alumnidoggz(m): 11:26am On Apr 12, 2013
information is power.
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Iykeponti(m): 11:48am On Apr 12, 2013
kkkp: Bcus if u go 2 Niger, mali, senegal n sum part of Ghana n libya..dey undastand hausa
Those con3 u listed above is where Hausa pple suppose belong......
Re: Why Don't We Have BBC Igbo Or Yoruba Service by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 12, 2013
thats becos hausa and swahili are considered official languages for africa by the western world . was in Germany recently and met so many nigerians from the north working for deutsche welle tv and radio's hausa service.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BREAKING: IGP Deploys Four Commissioners Of Police To Ogun For Elections / Customs Raid Fraisier Hotels, Impound 11 Vehicles / Nigeria Economy Collapsing Gradually, 60 CSO's Tell Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.