Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,899 members, 7,824,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! (10254 Views)

Mbaka, Catholic And Politics: Nigerian Tweets Interesting Facts / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver / Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:13pm On Sep 01, 2013
i just reread ur earlier post where you said ignatuis described the catholic church as consisting of local church united under her bishops. Are we talking about that catholic church or ur idea of a church without bishops? Or do u love contradicting urself?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:20pm On Sep 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

First of all, I am defending history, not the catholic church. The historical fact is that catholics compiled the bible

Secondly, one cant leave the catholic church

-your baptismal record will always be counted during summations of catholic numbers in the country or worldwide.
-unfortunatelty, the only available burial for me is between a choice of traditional pagan or catholic.........you knoew the preferable choice
-the catholic church has swag....richest of church with many influential peeps.....need it for business connections
not to spoil the flow but if u are a public atheist ie if other know u are an atheist and die with that disbelive, u wont recieve a catholic burial.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 7:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ubenedictus: i just reread ur earlier post where you said ignatuis described the catholic church as consisting of local church united under her bishops. Are we talking about that catholic church or ur idea of a church without bishops? Or do u love contradicting urself?

Abeg, leave me alone bo and just post whatever you like.

By the way you should let your Anglican friend know that you agree that the Anglican Church is not Jesus' Church as your colleague indicated here https://www.nairaland.com/1257440/catholic-catholic-back-catholic/1#17812520

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 7:28pm On Sep 01, 2013
Leave him alone bo...

He cant own up to his contradictions.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2013
^^^ Crybaby don also become run run baby! grin
smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
Enigma:

Abeg, leave me alone bo and just post whatever you like.

By the way you should let your Anglican friend know that you agree that the Anglican Church is not Jesus' Church as your colleague indicated here https://www.nairaland.com/1257440/catholic-catholic-back-catholic/1#17812520

smiley
just as i consider the lutherian church so do i consider the anglican communion. It is simply a christian community.
Weldone on ur contradictions
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by truthislight: 8:08pm On Sep 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

First of all, I am defending history, not the catholic church. The historical fact is that catholics compiled the bible

Secondly, one cant leave the catholic church

-your baptismal record will always be counted during summations of catholic numbers in the country or worldwide.
-unfortunatelty, the only available burial for me is between a choice of traditional pagan or catholic.........you knoew the preferable choice
-the catholic church has swag....richest of church with many influential peeps.....need it for business connections

smh. cool
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 8:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
Proudly Catholic!

Proudly catholic!

Proudly cAtholic!

Proudly caTholic!

Proudly catHolic!

Proudly cathOlic!

Proudly cathoLic!

Proudly catholIc!

Proudly catholiC!

Proudly CATHOLIC!

2000 years.

2 Likes

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by PastorAIO: 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
@Enigma. Please go and brush up on the meaning of Hypocritical.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:16pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ubenedictus: just as i consider the lutherian church so do i consider the anglican communion. It is simply a christian community.
Weldone on ur contradictions

A person who says a "Christian community" is not Jesus' Church is talking of someone else's "contradictions"! lol grin

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by PastorAIO: 8:35pm On Sep 01, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ I will let your "friend" answer you. smiley

E never finish ooo

smiley

How does this change the role that the C(c)atholic church, Roman or whatever, has played in the history of christianity. How does this permit you and others of your ilk to make up stories condemning the RCC falsely one issues such as the use of Relics, the role of the Bible, etc? How does it make RCC the LovePeddler of Babylon? How does this divorce RCC from christianity? while you are the true christian?

I can't remember the last time you actually answered any question that I asked you. I'll try again. What do you understand by 'in my name'?

Enigma:

Nope! wink

Afterall one of y'all "friends" don do me psychoanalogy (or whatever) ----- courtesy of Wikipedia. lol grin

smiley

Na so! smiley

Oh, it's the wikipedia that is doing you, okay I'll give you some other links. But the wikipedia definition is still accurate though and the symptom fits you perfectly.

Freudian Projection

Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, usually to other people. Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting the belief that others originate those feelings.

Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them.

http://isstutter..co.uk/2011/10/freudian-projection.html

From a psychoanalytic viewpoint, projection is an intrapsychic process that creates or shapes a perception (or a collection of perceptions) with reference to an object in the outside world, which, although the subject believes he or she is perceiving it "objectively," is actually being perceived according to the subject's own characteristics; t

http://www.enotes.com/projection-reference/projection-188243

I don't know why no one will ask me to back it up, but I'll go ahead and do at a later date anyway.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:40pm On Sep 01, 2013
Pastor AIO:

How does this change the role that the C(c)atholic church, Roman or whatever, has played in the history of christianity. How does this permit you and others of your ilk to make up stories condemning the RCC falsely one issues such as the use of Relics, the role of the Bible, etc? How does it make RCC the LovePeddler of Babylon? How does this divorce RCC from christianity? while you are the true christian?

Of course you are a liar! smiley

Find where I said anything about the Roman Catholics and relics, LovePeddler of Babylon or "divorce RCC from Christianity"

Pastor AIO: I can't remember the last time you actually answered any question that I asked you. I'll try again. What do you understand by 'in my name'?

I choose not to teach you what I choose not to teach you. smiley

Pastor AIO: Oh, it's the wikipedia that is doing you, okay I'll give you some other links. But the wikipedia definition is still accurate though and the symptom fits you perfectly.

I have said to you before to do whatever you like with Wikipedia. It is your problem, not mine. smiley

Pastor AIO:
Freudian Projection

Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, usually to other people. Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting the belief that others originate those feelings.

Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them.

http://isstutter..co.uk/2011/10/freudian-projection.html

From a psychoanalytic viewpoint, projection is an intrapsychic process that creates or shapes a perception (or a collection of perceptions) with reference to an object in the outside world, which, although the subject believes he or she is perceiving it "objectively," is actually being perceived according to the subject's own characteristics; t

http://www.enotes.com/projection-reference/projection-188243

I don't know why no one will ask me to back it up, but I'll go ahead and do at a later date anyway.

Nooooo worry! When meself ready I will do your own 'psychoanalogy' for you. wink

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 8:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
Enigma:

A person who says a "Christian community" is not Jesus' Church is talking of someone else's "contradictions"! lol grin

smiley
i said christian community i didn't say christian church. Quit trying to look for fault where there is none
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 9:02pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ubenedictus: i said christian community i didn't say christian church. Quit trying to look for fault where there is none

1. You contradict yourself again of course! How can a Christian community not be a Christian Church? Except in warped Roman Catholic logic of course. lol grin

2. This is what I said before: A person who says a "Christian community" is not Jesus' Church is talking of someone else's "contradictions"! lol grin

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ubenedictus: not to spoil the flow but if u are a public atheist ie if other know u are an atheist and die with that disbelive, u wont recieve a catholic burial.

Fortunately, I am not a public atheist
Reverend fathers can be persuaded.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 8:08am On Sep 02, 2013
Enigma:

1. You contradict yourself again of course! How can a Christian community not be a Christian Church? Except in warped Roman Catholic logic of course. lol grin

2. This is what I said before: A person who says a "Christian community" is not Jesus' Church is talking of someone else's "contradictions"! lol grin

smiley
that is because you simply do not understand the terms i use. A christian community is a coming together of people who believe in christ and are baptised in his name. Like a fellowship. When i use the word church i'm refer to that community under a validly ordained bishop and thus can enjoy the fullnes of the sacraments. As you are aware, i consider most protestant churches of having only valid baptism. I call them xtian communities not 'church'.
So be informed,
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 8:11am On Sep 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Fortunately, I am not a public atheist
Reverend fathers can be persuaded.
why would you even be thinking of a catholic burial when u don't believe in the afterlife
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:12am On Sep 02, 2013
Ubenedictus: that is because you simply do not understand the terms i use. A christian community is a coming together of people who believe in christ and are baptised in his name. Like a fellowship. When i use the word church i'm refer to that community under a validly ordained bishop and thus can enjoy the fullnes of the sacraments. As you are aware, i consider most protestant churches of having only valid baptism. I call them xtian communities not 'church'.
So be informed,

^^^ Of course you can choose to keep contradicting Jesus Christ because you must subscribe to the idiotic argument of the Roman Catholic Church. smiley

A Christian Community is a Christian Church and is Jesus' Church. wink

Jesus did not say His church must be subject to some "pope" or some "ordained" bishop. Thankfully! smiley

cool
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 02, 2013
Enigma:

^^^ Of course you can choose to keep contradicting Jesus Christ because you must subscribe to the idiotic argument of the Roman Catholic Church. smiley

Jesus did not say His church must be subject to some "pope" or some "ordained" bishop. Thankfully! smiley

cool

So, at work, there is a group of christians who sometimes meet and make arrangements to go to camp. Are they a church of co-workers
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 02, 2013
Ubenedictus: why would you even be thinking of a catholic burial when u don't believe in the afterlife

I am not but my family will
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 8:53am On Sep 02, 2013
Enigma:

cool
tell me a new joke. If the church didn't need bishop tell me why christ had apostle and why those apostle seem really interested in making bishop every city.besides u are the one with a quote of how the catholic church is a gatherinp around a bishop.
You take pleasure in contradicting yourself.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:38am On Sep 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

So, at work, there is a group of christians who sometimes meet and make arrangements to go to camp. Are they a church of co-workers

Yes indeed, they are "a church"; indeed, they are "the Church" where they are; they are also part of the universal Christian Church ---- according to the words of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

Go and study the origin and meaning of the word Church. Go and read and study the Bible and see references to the Church that meets in a {your} house etc etc etc smiley

Read also my second or third post on this thread and the explanation of "ekklesia".

Read also the posts of the Anglican friend that I quoted on this thread. wink

Ubenedictus: tell me a new joke. If the church didn't need bishop tell me why christ had apostle and why those apostle seem really interested in making bishop every city.besides u are the one with a quote of how the catholic church is a gatherinp around a bishop.
You take pleasure in contradicting yourself.

Jesus did not and does not require His Church to have "popes" or "ordained" (whatever you mean by that) bishops. Go and read The Didache where it instructs Christian groups to appoint for themselves bishops/elders.

By the way, this is what I first said about Ignatius statement:

First I return to Ignatius who was the one who coined and the first to use the expression "the catholic Church". While Ignatius was a strong supporter of the role of a bishop in worship, he also believed that each individual church was in itself complete and a part of the universal church.

However, even whilst still expounding/extolling the role of a bishop (possibly even questionably somewhat), Ignatius said another interesting thing in his Epistle to The Smyrnaeans:

. . . even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church*

* another translation:
even as where Jesus may be, there is the universal Church
ETA http://www.jhu.edu/gcf/lessons/IgnatiusSmyrnaeans.pdf

Now where have I heard something similar before? Oh, here (Matthew 18:20):

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them

cool
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 11:16am On Sep 02, 2013
A good thing our brother Jero subscribes to St. Ignatius words. Or does he? Let us find out.

Below are Chapters 8 and 9 which contains the quote "where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church" in St. Ignatius' letter to the Smyrnaeans.

LETTER OF ST. IGNATIUS TO THE SMYRNAEANS. Chapters 8 & 9.

Chapter 8. Let nothing be done without the bishop

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.

Chapter 9. Honour the bishop

Moreover, it is in accordance with reason that we should return to soberness [of conduct], and, while yet we have opportunity, exercise repentance towards God. It is well to reverence both God and the bishop. He who honours the bishop has been honoured by God; he who does anything without the knowledge of the bishop, does [in reality] serve the devil. Let all things, then, abound to you through grace, for you are worthy. You have refreshed me in all things, and Jesus Christ [shall refresh] you. You have loved me when absent as well as when present. May God recompense you, for whose sake, while you endure all things, you shall attain unto Him.

End...

It is clear how the hypocrite Jero insists on twisting the clear message of this holy man.

1 Like

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 11:37am On Sep 02, 2013
Crybaby can't read or demonstrate decent comprehension. smiley

Enigma: .....

However, even whilst still expounding/extolling the role of a bishop (possibly even questionably somewhat), Ignatius said another interesting thing .......

And elsewhere:

Enigma: ^^^ Any sensible person can see that: (1) I gave the backround of Ignatius' statement when he spoke about the role of bishops which I said is not even wholly accurate; and (2) that I gave two separate links to two separate translations of Ignatius' full let[t]er......

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 11:52am On Sep 02, 2013
Shhh! Let the holy man counsel you.

"See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father."
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 11:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Let Jesus Christ Himself convict the Roman Catholic "Church". wink

(Matthew 18:20):

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 02, 2013
italo: Shhh! Let the holy man counsel you.

"See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father."
let what the 'holy man' says rhyme with Gods word. Where in the bible does it say we should follow any bishop? We are led by the spirit of God. The pastor or bishop SHEPHERDS the congregation under the guidance of God through his spirit and word.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 12:20pm On Sep 02, 2013
Enigma:

(Matthew 18:20):

smiley

Amen! Amen! We Catholics believe Jesus is present in any community that gathers in his name. But we know that that community is not necessarily his Church.

For how can Jesus say to his "church?": "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"--Matt 7:23.

"I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!"--Luke 13:27.

How can Jesus (the bridegroom) deny knowledge of his Church (the bride)?

How can the head not know the body?

This Jesus you are talking about is certainly not my Jesus...and that "church" is definitely not his Church.

"AWAY FROM ME! YOU LAWLESS PEOPLE!"--Jesus Christ.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 12:26pm On Sep 02, 2013
Back to Jero's beloved St. Ignatius:

"Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop."
--St. Ignatius.

Obviously the man believes there is no Church without Bishop.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
St Ignatius continues:

"Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 12:36pm On Sep 02, 2013
"It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid."--St Ignatius.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 12:40pm On Sep 02, 2013
italo:

Amen! Amen! We Catholics believe Jesus is present in any community that gathers in his name. But we know that that community is not necessarily his Church.

A community that gathers in Jesus' name and in which Jesus is present that is not Jesus' Church! grin

Utterly ludicrous and contradictory Roman Catholic idiocy! wink

italo: For how can Jesus say to his "church?": "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"--Matt 7:23.

"I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!"--Luke 13:27.

How can Jesus (the bridegroom) deny knowledge of his Church (the bride)?

How can the head not know the body?

This Jesus you are talking about is certainly not my Jesus...and that "church" is definitely not his Church.

"AWAY FROM ME! YOU LAWLESS PEOPLE!"--Jesus Christ.

Of course He can be expected to say that to the Roman Catholic "Church" as I have demonstrated here and here

And I can yet produce more samples if/when required. wink

smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Quit Your Job, If It Affects Church? / Imagine A Worldwide Ban On Bibles / "Why Couldn't God Forgive Satan?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.