Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,390 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! (10245 Views)

Mbaka, Catholic And Politics: Nigerian Tweets Interesting Facts / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver / Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 3:29pm On Aug 24, 2013
Hmmm, sniff sniff. smiley

Well, for the benefit of people honestly assessing the facts, even the Roman Catholic Church admits to the word "catholic" in the small 'c' adjectival sense. It does so in no less than its own Catechism to start with! wink

Again from one I made earlier https://www.nairaland.com/1104124/problem-catholism-an-introspection/22#15211441

830 The word “catholic” means “universal,” in the sense of “according to the totality” or “in keeping with the whole.” The Church is catholic in a double sense: (795, 815-816)

First, the Church is catholic because Christ is present in her. “Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.”307 In her subsists the fullness of Christ’s body united with its head; this implies that she receives from him “the fullness of the means of salvation”308 which he has willed: correct and complete confession of faith, full sacramental life, and ordained ministry in apostolic succession. The Church was, in this fundamental sense, catholic on the day of Pentecost309 and will always be so until the day of the Parousia.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 3:35pm On Aug 24, 2013
Oh and by the way, the Eastern Orthodox Church aka the Orthodox Catholic Church also throws a 'smackdown' concerning "catholic" in the small 'c' adjectival sense. smiley

Yet again from one I made earlier https://www.nairaland.com/1254965/eastern-orthodox-church-orthodox-catholic#15210581

270. Why is the Church called Catholic, or, which is the same thing, Universal?

Because she is not limited to any place, nor time, nor people, but contains true believers of all places, times, and peoples.

The Apostle Paul says that the Word of the Gospel is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit (Coloss. i. 5, 6), and that in the Christian Church there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, barbarian nor Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. Coloss. iii. 11. They which be of faith, are blessed with faithful Abraham. Gal. iii. 9.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by DEGREE2466(m): 3:59pm On Aug 24, 2013
ENIGMA QUOTING YOUR CRAP WRITEUP IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME BUT I THINK YOU ARE THE MOST JOBLESS ANIMAL I HAVE EVER SEEN!

GO AND GET LIFE AND READ THE BIBLE AS THOUGH IT FELL FROM HEAVEN OR WAS COMPOSED BY YOUR GRANDFATHER!!

THIS IS WHAT LACK OF CONFIDENCE CAUSE HAD IT BEEN YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN WHICHEVER CHURCH YOU ATTEND YOU WOULD NOT HAVE COME OUT TO VOMIT THIS TRASH!!!

1 Like

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 4:02pm On Aug 24, 2013
^^^^ grin grin grin

Where is that Idi Amin gif when you need it? smiley

Edit: found it!

[img]http://.net/i/476.gif[/img]
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 24, 2013
Enigma, you can argue with yourself all you like.

THE FACT REMAINS THAT YOUR MINISTRY DID NOT COMPILE THE BIBLE. IT WILL ALWAYS BE OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH COMPILED THE BIBLE AND THAT IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH.

FUNNY HOW THESE PROTESTANT CHRISTIANS THAT ALWAYS CLAIM TO BE LIVING IN THE RIGHTEOUS PATH OF CHRIST CAN NOT ACCEPT SIMPLE TRUTH grin grin grin
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 6:38pm On Aug 24, 2013
^^^^

[img]http://.net/i/476.gif[/img]

cool
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by bizmahn: 6:57pm On Aug 24, 2013
Logicboy03: Enigma, you can argue with yourself all you like.

THE FACT REMAINS THAT YOUR MINISTRY DID NOT COMPILE THE BIBLE. IT WILL ALWAYS BE OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH COMPILED THE BIBLE AND THAT IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH.

FUNNY HOW THESE PROTESTANT CHRISTIANS THAT ALWAYS CLAIM TO BE LIVING IN THE RIGHTEOUS PATH OF CHRIST CAN NOT ACCEPT SIMPLE TRUTH grin grin grin
Protestants should accept SIMPLE TRUTH from you.Are you capable of telling any truth even if you flex all your muscles.We are all used to it.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by PastorAIO: 4:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
Logicboy03: Enigma, you can argue with yourself all you like.

I wonder what role Apostolic succession, or even any traditional lineage plays in determining whether the RCC is the same as the Roman church that Paul wrote the Letter to the Romans to. Is the issue a matter of when we started calling it RCC or whether it is the same institution regardless of what name it is called.

Hmmm .. The Problem of Identity.

In philosophy, identity, from Latin: identitas ("sameness"wink, is the relation each thing bears just to itself.[1][2] The notion of identity gives rise to many philosophical problems, including the identity of indiscernibles (if x and y share all their properties, are they one and the same thing?), and questions about change and personal identity over time (what has to be the case for a person x at one time and a person y at a later time to be one and the same person?). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_(philosophy)
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 5:15pm On Aug 26, 2013
Sniff sniff "apostolic succession" lol. grin

Edit: oh, and "problem of identity" too! Yeah, just like 'Trigger's broom'. Double lol grin grin
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ishilove: 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2013
Big brova Enigma, still on this catholic issue?? Hian!! Whether Catholic o, catholic o, caTHoliC o, abeg leave them be o jare. To each his own.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2013
Ishi babes, lef me and dem; no separate us oh! grin

More seriously, this particular thread is an old one that seemed to have run its course until someone revived it recently. cheesy
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by PastorAIO: 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2013
So in other words the Church no longer exists.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Tgirl4real(f): 6:20pm On Aug 26, 2013
Enigma: Ishi babes, lef me and dem; no separate us oh! grin

More seriously, this particular thread is an old one that seemed to have run its course until someone revived it recently. cheesy

I think I did. lol grin
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
enigma you can play this game all day and claim that changing the sense of the word catholic from noun to adjective changes the church, that won't make it true. From ancient times the word catholic has been used by christians both as a noun and as an adjective, and never has the word sense implied a change or discontinuity of the church. Your anglican arguement has no base.

1 Like

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:51pm On Aug 30, 2013
^^ The bottom line is that the Church established by Jesus Christ can be found wherever two or three are gathered in His name; and that Church is not subject to the authority of some "pope"!

That Church does not need any other name except "the Church of Christ" or "the Christian Church".

That Church is not bound by or subject to denominations --- whether Roman Catholic or Cutlass Sharp Sharp Ministry etc etc

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 11:03pm On Aug 30, 2013
Enigma: ^^ The bottom line is that the Church established by Jesus Christ can be found wherever two or three are gathered in His name; and that Church is not subject to the authority of some "pope"!

That Church does not need any other name except "the Church of Christ" or "the Christian Church".

That Church is not bound by or subject to denominations --- whether Roman Catholic or Cutlass Sharp Sharp Ministry etc etc

smiley
you quoted ignatius in your op, i recall he didnt share this veiw, or do you quote him only when it seems to suit you? A 'church' without ordained ministry. Weldone!
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 11:07pm On Aug 30, 2013
^^^ So, basically you do not believe what Jesus Christ said --- that where two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.

Just like He was in the midst of all those people who met in houses as we are told in the Bible. They did not have and did not need any "pope". wink

Just as He is there in the midst of those who meet in houses and even in secret in countries where Christianity is not exactly freely allowed. They do not have and do not need any "pope"! Thankfully! smiley

Yet, they are all part of the one Church of Christ. smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by PastorAIO: 5:16pm On Aug 31, 2013
What does it mean to be gathered 'in my name'?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by CarCam: 7:16pm On Aug 31, 2013
Pastor AIO:

What does it mean to be gathered 'in my name'?

@Pastor AIO

Ghenghen! Pastor AIO!! - Jokingly, my fav trouble stirrer !!! grin

You've been on a shabbat?

Anyway FBO others

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2012/08/where-two-or-three-are-gathered-and-other-bad-interpretations/
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 7:20pm On Aug 31, 2013
cheesy

This guy continues his merry-go-round.

Poor you.

When an Anglican ignores the history of the Anglican "church" and focuses on the history of the Catholic Church...

...you know somebody's ashamed of something.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 7:25pm On Aug 31, 2013
^^ Ah, crybaby show face, Pele oh.

Where two or three are gathered in Jesus' name, He is there right in the midst of them. smiley

Oh, and of course they don't need some "pope". wink
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
Small time now, Roman Catholics go begin claim Chrysostom! grin

Enuwe, here is a prayer associated with him:

"Almighty God, you have given us grace at this time with one accord to make our common supplication to you; and you have promised through your well-beloved Son that when two or three are gathered together in his Name you will be in the midst of them: Fulfill now, O Lord, our desires and petitions as may be best for us; granting us in this world knowledge of your truth, and in the age to come life everlasting. Amen"

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:51pm On Aug 31, 2013
Pastor AIO: What does it mean to be gathered 'in my name'?
interesting...
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 7:58pm On Aug 31, 2013
Enigma: Small time now, Roman Catholics go begin claim Chrysostom! grin

Enuwe, here is a prayer associated with him:

"Almighty God, you have given us grace at this time with one accord to make our common supplication to you; and you have promised through your well-beloved Son that when two or three are gathered together in his Name you will be in the midst of them: Fulfill now, O Lord, our desires and petitions as may be best for us; granting us in this world knowledge of your truth, and in the age to come life everlasting. Amen"

smiley
the last time i checked chysostum was an ordained minister, who lead a christian community and excluded heretics, he didn't hold the opinion u are teaching. That brings back pastor aio question, what does it is mean to bet 'gathered in his name'?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
^^^ Right there before you!

Chrysostom agreed with me and more importantly with the Lord Jesus Christ that where two or three are gathered in Jesus' name, He i.e. the Lord Jesus Christ is with them. smiley

Of course Chrysostom did not suggest that they need some "pope" for Jesus to be in their midst. wink

No surprise though, since Chrysostom was not a Roman Catholic. smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 8:14pm On Aug 31, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Right there before you!

Chrysostom agreed with me and more importantly with the Lord Jesus Christ that where two or three are gathered in Jesus' name, He i.e. the Lord Jesus Christ is with them. smiley

Of course Chrysostom did not suggest that they need some "pope" for Jesus to be in their midst. wink

No surprise though, since Chrysostom was not a Roman Catholic. smiley

really, so chysostum also supported the gathering of heretics? Got back and read his writtings and stopt clinging to straws.
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:17pm On Aug 31, 2013
Of course, you cannot handle the prayer of Chrysostom ---- since it is opposed to the Roman Catholic falsehood and nonsense. smiley

Most crucially, it is a promise of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself ---- but of course Roman Catholics esteem their "church" and their "popes" higher than Jesus ------- by their own very words and from their own very mouths (or pens etc)! smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 8:20pm On Aug 31, 2013
Ubenedictus: really, so chysostum also supported the gathering of heretics? Got back and read his writtings and stopt clinging to straws.

By the way, confirm now openly that:

1. The Anglicans are heretics;
2. The Anglicans do not have "apostolic succession", as
3. Anglican orders are "absolutely null and utterly void".

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 8:29pm On Aug 31, 2013
First, the Anglicans broke off from the Catholic Church in their support of open adultery...

...then they so desperately want to validate themselved by being associated with the Catholic Church.

2 Likes

Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Ubenedictus(m): 10:15pm On Aug 31, 2013
and just so i know what i'm discussing about, give a link that attribute the said prayer to chrysostom.
Lastly how do you understand the passage on 'where 2 or 3 are gathered?
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by Enigma(m): 10:19pm On Aug 31, 2013
^^^ I'm not giving you anything! Your choice what you want to do or what you want to discuss or what you want to post.

You don't even have to answer my questions! Although I will continue to ask such questions, make such points, and use "quotations" that I consider to be "of pertinence". smiley

Ah, here is one more question; and you don't even have to answer it, just like you haven't answered the last set.

Thousands of Anglicans will be holding church services tomorrow, some even including 'Holy Communion': will Jesus Christ be in the midst of them?

smiley
Re: From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! by italo: 6:49am On Sep 01, 2013
^^^...will never make them Jesus' Church.

They'll always be King Henry's visa to open adultery.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Covenant Between Salt And Atheist / "Why Couldn't God Forgive Satan?" / Jesus So Powerful, So Useless: The Name Above All Names On Useless List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.