Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them (4145 Views)

Help!! I Am Set To Marry But Inlove With Another / Desire To Marry But Still Single For A Reason(s)- Report Here For Assistance / Love Memoir Of This Hausa Boy-by Umar Mash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by Danasco(m): 6:25pm On Aug 16, 2005
He is a Fulani boy and she is an Igbo girl. They both met in the University, and they have agreed to marry. Now, both parents are threating to disown them if they continue with their plans.They are in love with each other, so what has tribe got to do with this?
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by nddy(m): 7:17pm On Aug 16, 2005
if the broda wants the gurl he should go ahead and marry her. Despite the facts their parents are against
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by Latoya(f): 4:33am On Aug 17, 2005
Tribe has nothing to do with marriage. I guess the parents don't understand how they both feel about each other.

They shuld take their time and pray, because marriage without parents blessings in Nigeria is worthless.
All they need to do is talk to the both parents. At least they are in love, and they should stand and be there for themselves no matter what.
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by hotangel2(f): 11:13am On Aug 17, 2005
If they are really inlove and are ready to spend the rest of their lives with each other, I give them a green card. The Parents will get used to it, and if they don't, they can bite their asses.
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by layi(m): 11:55am On Aug 17, 2005
My parents can only advice me as regards choosing a partner. They can't reject or choose a partner for me.
"Na me go wear the shoe. i got to buy my size"

Both of them should talk their parents through. They'll eventually agree especially when they benefit a lot from your friendship

Damn Nigerian customs . I wasnt born a nigerian. I was only born in nigeria. I chose 2 be a nigerian and can "unchoose" it if their wahala too much.
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by ShakaDzulu(m): 12:39pm On Aug 24, 2005
Hi all I am in that situation and no one is going to disown both of us.Both families agree for this bond. Exposure is a problem ,ethnic variety is not an issue.My parents both are not from the same place.My mother is Efik(Christian) and my dad is Hausa(Moslem). angry
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by da808cutie(f): 12:50pm On Aug 24, 2005
tribe has nothing to do with this, those parents have just choesn not to be open-minded. i'd say they shd get married if thats what they both want, or are the parents going to decide who their kids fall in love with and marry? besides its not they parents they wish to get married to is it!?!
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by kazey(m): 12:48am On Aug 29, 2005
this is an old school way of tribalism, and its still alive and still widely practised. it is as simple as it is, parents of any tribe in Nigeria wouldnt like the idea of their children marrying from another tribe, but then with understanding and with the current trends of things, some of those tribalism practices or issues have died down, and there have been  more acceptability. Its more of exposure and getting the right education, and embracing whatever choice your child make.

And I am very sure, that if a thread was to began on marrying outside one's tribe, a lot of Nairalanders would not support the motive. I still recollect the response on the Marrying outside ones religion thread. And the response there, speak's for itself.

I think this problem can only be solved if they bring in people that their parents might respect so much and would probably listen too, to settle the matter in a parent by parent way. Besides that i don't think it is a good idea to go ahead, parents would always mean a lot in their lives, and besides for the fact that, their children would ask later on, where is grandpa, where is grandma?
What would they tell them? they wouldnt want to lie?

One of my cousin was in the same predicament, (she married a Edo guy) but everything eventually had a happy ending, although she was disown for a year,b for getting pregnant and for the fact that the guy was not yoruba, but thats a different issue entirely. They problem was solved, when some respected individual was invited to the matter.

Mind you their parents would never listen to them, if it is just them trying to sort things out. Thats parents , when they are right, they are always right!!
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by Latoya(f): 4:20am On Aug 30, 2005
Happiness is all that counts in marriage
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by nddy(m): 5:22am On Sep 01, 2005
Why would my parents object to the gurl i wanna get married to. They dont feed me. I make my decisions, i wouldnt even mind what my parents say or do as long as i like the gurl. Parents i dunno what to say.
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by papermoon(f): 7:33pm On Jan 25, 2006
from a lot that i have seen in my lifetime(and its been some years and a bit i tell you)
look around you...even marriages that parents."bless" so many break apart...
look within yourselves..is it what you really want?...can you face an "against all odds" kinda thing....
from my own point of view..the most important blessing is GODS blessing.
i know an old couple..she is white,he is black,she was disowned,he was "cursed" by his father(but remember curses causless shall not work or something of that nature)they both didnt kill anyone..they just fell in love....the oyinbo woman just spyed the bush man taking a leak near her fathers garden about 50 years ago in london...she ran up to him and insulted him..he looked at her like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANNOT PISS ON THIS GREEN LAND?"
they kept on arguing...then he got angry and he rode off on his bicycle...but something happened that day...he couldnt get her out of his mind...so guess what?he kept on lurking around that same garden..he finally saw her 4 days later..and she accepted to go on a date with him...in london at that time it was almost unheard of..but they risked it.... TWO weeks later they got married....exactly 50 years on they are still together....their grandchild is dating my best friends younger sister now...
everytime i hear a story similar to love across tribes/race/ethnicity..i remember them...and i know that with love..real true love..EVERYTHING will work...
and NO the curse didnt work...he is a leader in his field of practice in naija...she is a top n.g.o this and that..they have 5 beautiful healthy kids and numerous grandkids..and her parents never spoke to her till they both died..but guess what??THEY ARE THE LOSERS...they missed out on something so beautiful
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by katherinae(f): 9:14pm On Nov 30, 2006
how in hte world did that happen, i mean how did they get together, i have never ever heard of an igbo girl dating a hausa man before, i know its possible but never heard of it before
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by segedoo(m): 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2007
i hope they have enough money and elope. after like 2 years those famlilies of theirs
go dey beg them say make dem come home.

Na naija romeo and juliet?
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by tng(f): 3:22pm On Mar 23, 2007
They should try and convince their parents of their choices.Exposure is the main ingredient lacking here i think.
@katherinae
Its happening especially up north. i have seen a lot of hausa/ fulani marrying ibo nd edo women.
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by orp: 3:49pm On Mar 23, 2007
yesterday and history belong to those parents while today and the future belong to the girl and boy.They shld take up the challenge,stop at nothing to marry one another if the indeed have genuine love for one another.
I am not sayong they shld be confrontational with their parents.They should convince ther parents and if neccessary invite family member who will talk to both parents and will yield.
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by Ezinwannem: 5:02pm On Mar 23, 2007
That's why you have to study your parents, sumthings ask them questions like "if i marry from this tribe nko" what will happen to know their reply then dat can determine who u can date or not. As for ma parents, they dont kare the race of the person as far as u have chosen the person but they are percuilar about education atleast a graduate
Re: Hausa Boy, Igbo Girl To Marry, But Parents Threaten to Disown Them by omaaaf(m): 4:31pm On May 10, 2007
tribe has nothing to do with love nut parental blessings are important in every union even if she is ur chick. so try to convince them to see reasons,
(or u can threaten to be a monk n she will be a nun smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool )

(1) (Reply)

Let’s Discuss: Can A Relationship Survive Without Sex? / Take Alook At What My Fiance Did To Me (viewers Distation Adviced) / Most Hairiest And Most Shaved Pùssy On Nairaland (photos PG 18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.