Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,780 members, 7,955,982 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:25 PM

Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria (42743 Views)

China Builds First 600-feet High, Glass-bottomed Bridge In The World (photos) / Former Lagos Governor Fashola In Mecca (Photo) / N29billion Lagos Suspension Bridge Is A Huge Fraud!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by dammytosh: 1:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
brodalikeme: This does not look like a suspension bridge to me. I just see cables descending from a tower. The basic structural requirement for a suspension bridge are lacking. Am seeing only one tower, and the cables that hold the weight of the deck are anchored to the bridge itself instead of the end of the bridge.

ACN must add some lies to anything they do. Remember Obama invitation, Remi Tinubu's Donation.

What do we expect from a party whose spokes person is LIE Mohammed. They just have to lie.

With this propaganda, deception , hyper inflated contracts. There is no hope for Nigeria in 2015. It is just a matter of having the same vultures with another logo.

I just wish we divide this nation called Nigeria but if we do, South west will pay toll gate fee till a true revolution happen.

Lekki Ajah ---- 40billion for 40 kilometer road. --- With ur jeep u pay #300 per day , #106,800 a year after paying more than 1.4million tax to the same govt per annum to go to the office everyday and some morons will come here and sing Hosannah for all these useless politicians.

Prosterity will judge Jonathan and all the thieves spread across different political parties.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by anonimi: 1:42pm On Apr 30, 2013
GeneralJ:

About water in cities, what is the fisherman in chief doing, last time i checked wasn't there a ministry of water or something, why are they not doing anything??, where is all the money going ?, Lagos has commisioned about 15 mini water works or something like that in the last 2-3 years, and you are here talking about "half the population don't have access to basics", how do you know that, how do you just arrive at such a conclusion, please show us your research process..when almost every community in Lagos has a waterworks in it.

Please get more informed; the Federal Ministry of Water Resources does not provide pipeborne water for cities. That is the states function according to the 1999 constitution amended to date.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^So can you give any insight into the benefits of a suspension model over what we normally build in Nigeria; try leaving out the abuse this time.......i know it's hard, but try!

PS- and don't consult google either! wink

Maturity
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by crisycent: 2:30pm On Apr 30, 2013
The person that posted this does not know the meaning of a SUSPENSION BRIDGE. From the pictures, this is just a regular bridge like the 3rd mainland and it has a suspension bridge design. Fact is that the so called iron/poles/ropes locking on the concrete bribge is just fashion, it is not holding or stabilizing the bridge in any way!!!!
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Jamesqu(m): 2:44pm On Apr 30, 2013
Kennyblues: Lagos State Governor, Babatunde has finished building the first suspension bridge in
Nigeria. The 1.358km bridge, which will link Ikoyi (Alexander Street) to Lekki (Admiralty Way), cost about N29 billion to build and a toll will be collected to recoup the investment. The

http://sturvs.com.ng/1044866/governor-fashola-builds-first-suspension-bridge-in-nigeria/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

How this bridge is longer than the San Francisco Bay Bridge is a mystery to me...how did JB measure?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by obongtunji: 2:44pm On Apr 30, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^How come GEJ and other governors aren't signing the same papers?

Are they amputees?

Just give credit where it's due, or ignore the darn thread... undecided undecided

Well said sir, GOD bless you fro me.....lop
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by romanlaw(m): 3:12pm On Apr 30, 2013
did i see 29 BILLION? chai!! tinubu don hammer for this one oh!! but when will they build one in Isolo, Ejigbo, Ikotun, Egbeda, Iyana - Ipaja etc......are they not part of Lagos. everything is Ikoyi, Lekki

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Reference(m): 3:17pm On Apr 30, 2013
I am very impressed and happy it is being tolled so that the burden of the enormous cost is shared. I hope this serves as a model to other states and arms of government that if you mean it you will deliver.

I hope the good people of Lagos state name the edifice after Fashola when his time in the public eye is done. He has done very well for the state.

For those globe trotting for foreign investors foolish enough to set up shop in their dump site this is a wake up call. Know this. You call 999 - emergency services when their is hope. You call the morgue when there is none.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by 9icest: 3:24pm On Apr 30, 2013
dammytosh:

ACN must add some lies to anything they do. Remember Obama invitation, Remi Tinubu's Donation.

What do we expect from a party whose spokes person is LIE Mohammed. They just have to lie.

With this propaganda, deception , hyper inflated contracts. There is no hope for Nigeria in 2015. It is just a matter of having the same vultures with another logo.

I just wish we divide this nation called Nigeria but if we do, South west will pay toll gate fee till a true revolution happen.

Lekki Ajah ---- 40billion for 40 kilometer road. --- With ur jeep u pay #300 per day , #106,800 a year after paying more than 1.4million tax to the same govt per annum to go to the office everyday and some morons will come here and sing Hosannah for all these useless politicians.

Prosterity will judge Jonathan and all the thieves spread across different political parties.

See hater cheesy grin. Mein Gotte...All these Ibos are nothing but some bunch of Arschloch grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 3:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
jp philips:

what kinda people hang out here anyways

That is a great question!
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by GeneralJ(m): 3:30pm On Apr 30, 2013
anonimi:

Please get more informed; the Federal Ministry of Water Resources does not provide pipeborne water for cities. That is the states function according to the 1999 constitution amended to date.

It is not a citywide issue, its a country wide issue, my question is WHAT IS THE MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES doing about water in the country
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 3:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
To some of the semi literates on the thread

Make i no vex for you sha.

Did you not see pictures of other suspension bridges with modern construction posted here, which part of modern escapes your cognition?

Obviously, they are changing the designs and construction of architectural engineering concepts, why is that difficult for you to grasp?

Its been stated there are other threads which have discussed current projects in detail and answered questions pertaining to such.

If you people would combine your nollywood viewing with movies from other parts of the world, particularly developed countries, you wouldnt be so dumbfounded all the time!

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 3:35pm On Apr 30, 2013
GeneralJ:

It is not a citywide issue, its a country wide issue, my question is WHAT IS THE MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES doing about water in the country

Was the ministry of water resources responsible for building the bridge, or what does your question have to do with the thread?

Why not table your discussion elsewhere?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Reference(m): 3:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
romanlaw: did i see 29 BILLION? chai!! tinubu don hammer for this one oh!! but when will they build one in Isolo, Ejigbo, Ikotun, Egbeda, Iyana - Ipaja etc......are they not part of Lagos. everything is Ikoyi, Lekki

That is how development comes. Sorry to say so but Lekki and Ikoyi are more important than some of those places you mentioned.

It doesn't take rocket science to deduce that you invest more where you earn more. Am sure the government is looking at its tax receipts and earnings futures and seeks to secure that. Whenever I get to Lagos and watch the daily mass exodus to and fro the Island/Peninsula I myself wonder but that's the reality. That's where the money is. That's where investors will identify with. That is the show case of Lagos.

Then I drive around Lagos famous for its numerous boutiques both high and low class sparkling with beauty, bright lights, sumptous decor and it gets me thinking. Do these guys who own these places really live like this. Are their homes this flash, no.

Of course not. If you spend more money on your home than your office, factory, farm, shop, etc then you must be a fraudster, robber, typical government philanderer or political jobber. People simply invest their prime dollar where they can get it back.

And this leads to the conclusion. Those who will use the bridge are those who are able and willing to use it. Take it to those places you mentioned and risk the 'Arizona' treatment. The funds generated from the tolls can be ploughed into less privileged areas. That model cannot work the other way round.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by vicboss88(m): 3:45pm On Apr 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Nice one! Though i think your thread title could do with a little tweaking, as Fashola didn't build anything (he'd have to be Superman to perform such a feat)......he signed the contract papers for Julius Berger to build it using Lagos tax payers money.
BAD BELLE, ANTI-fashola...he built it and er are proud of him.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by itsme9jaG(f): 3:54pm On Apr 30, 2013
Based on the definition of what a suspension bridge is by Wikipedia i think the bridge qualifies to be called a suspension bridge technically

"A suspension bridge is a type of bridge in which the deck (the load-bearing portion) is hung below suspension cables on vertical suspenders. "

Though one migt say based based on other samples of s suspension bridge its not expected to have pillars. But them JB seems to be the building champion in Nigeria and may not have the cability to deliver a suspension bridge.

All said and one kudos the the Governor, for such a enviable milestone as usual. Very amiable and goal oriented Governor i must say.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 30, 2013
Scarpon: like this post if u support fashola for president

Not only president but Prime Minister of Lagos state.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by anonimi: 4:00pm On Apr 30, 2013
Reference:

That is how development comes. Sorry to say so but Lekki and Ikoyi are more important than some of those places you mentioned.

It doesn't take rocket science to deduce that you invest more where you earn more. Am sure the government is looking at its tax receipts and earnings futures and seeks to secure that. Whenever I get to Lagos and watch the daily mass exodus to and fro the Island/Peninsula I myself wonder but that's the reality. That's where the money is. That's where investors will identify with. That is the show case of Lagos.

Then I drive around Lagos famous for its numerous boutiques both high and low class sparkling with beauty, bright lights, sumptous decor and it gets me thinking. Do these guys who own these places really live like this. Are their homes this flash, no.

Of course not. If you spend more money on your home than your office, factory, farm, shop, etc then you must be a fraudster, robber, typical government philanderer or political jobber. People simply invest their prime dollar where they can get it back.

And this leads to the conclusion. Those who will use the bridge are those who are able and willing to use it. Take it to those places you mentioned and risk the 'Arizona' treatment. [size=13pt]
The funds generated from the tolls can be ploughed into less privileged areas.
That model cannot work the other way round.[/size]

Just like Tinubu & Fashola have been doing for the past 14 years i.e. since 1999.
Abi nor be so

For how many years was Awolowo Premier of the Western region that he transformed in ALL sectors and including the RURAL areas?
For ONLY 4 years was Lateef Jakande and other UPN governors in power before they completely reversed the rot of 13 years of military dictators' maladministration!

Why is it taking the SUPPOSEDLY bright, sharp duo of Tinubu and Fashola forever to fix Lagos with MORE REAL money (adjusted for inflation) including IGR and massive borrowing
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 4:01pm On Apr 30, 2013
crisycent: The person that posted this does not know the meaning of a SUSPENSION BRIDGE. From the pictures, this is just a regular bridge like the 3rd mainland and it has a suspension bridge design. Fact is that the so called iron/poles/ropes locking on the concrete bribge is just fashion, it is not holding or stabilizing the bridge in any way!!!!

its a cable stay bridge which is another form of suspension and the cables are not there for fashion, the cables are integral part of the structure..

That was ignorance on your part...
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
itsme9jaG: Based on the definition of what a suspension bridge is by Wikipedia i think the bridge qualifies to be called a suspension bridge technically

"A suspension bridge is a type of bridge in which the deck (the load-bearing portion) is hung below suspension cables on vertical suspenders. "

Though one migt say based based on other samples of s suspension bridge its not expected to have pillars. But them JB seems to be the building champion in Nigeria and may not have the cability to deliver a suspension bridge.

All said and one kudos the the Governor, for such a enviable milestone as usual. Very amiable and goal oriented Governor i must say.

The suspension cables in this situation seem more like decor though
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 30, 2013
musiwa24: that is not a suspension bridge..

this is a suspension bridge

This was exactly what i was expecting to see... Onitsha asaba bridge is better than the bridge this topic presents.

Is it only one pillar that a suspension bridge is supposed to have
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 4:14pm On Apr 30, 2013
itsme9jaG: Based on the definition of what a suspension bridge is by Wikipedia i think the bridge qualifies to be called a suspension bridge technically

I couldnt agree more with the bolded.

As per the rest of the quote, the architectural designs are changing, new structures are being put in place, and while we're all familiar and more comfortable with the old designs, we're going to have to get used to the new concepts.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 30, 2013
Its NOT Fashola or Lagos State project. The Lekki Bridge is a PPP project financed by a private company.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by kross01(m): 4:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
eko ilee:

its a cable stay bridge which is another form of suspension and the cables are not there for fashion, the cables are integral part of the structure..

That was ignorance on your part...
u mean u can still call that suspension bridge even with the obvious supporting collumns underneath? Look at the second picture that was posted by shymexx
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 4:29pm On Apr 30, 2013
Billyonaire: Its NOT Fashola or Lagos State project. The Lekki Bridge is a PPP project financed by a private company.

The sum of N10 billion has been released by the Lagos State Government to bigwig construction outfit, Messrs. Julius Berger Plc, towards the excution of two major infrastructure development projects in the bustling city.

The projects include the expansion of the Eric Moore-Mile 2 Road (which is the initial leg of the multi-billion-naira, multi-phase Lagos-Badagry Expressway rehabilitation scheme) as well as the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (connecting Lekki Peninsular Scheme I with Osborne Road in Ikoyi).

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905181155.html

Go back to your cassava bread drawing board and try again..

Dullard...
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Venchy: 4:31pm On Apr 30, 2013
Billyonaire: Its NOT Fashola or Lagos State project. The Lekki Bridge is a PPP project financed by a private company.

So who's PPP, foreign company, who offers them the contract, lagos state Government and who's going to bare the cost or signed an agreement with PPP, Lagos state Government and not federal means Mr Fash is responsible, so what are we talking about.?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 4:35pm On Apr 30, 2013
Venchy:

So who's PPP, foreign company, who offers them the contract, lagos state Government and who's going to bare the cost or signed an agreement with PPP, Lagos state Government and not federal means Mr Fash is responsible, so what are we talking about.?

Abi o..

I bet they don't even see the stupidy behind their irrelevant rubbish..
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Drhenrysaint(m): 4:36pm On Apr 30, 2013
the brige is not high enough
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:38pm On Apr 30, 2013
Dr henry saint: the brige is not high enough

The height isn't a problem... Almost all the bridges across the Thames River(in the UK) are lower than that except probably the Dartford bridge...
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 4:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
kross_01:
u mean u can still call that suspension bridge even with the obvious supporting collumns underneath? Look at the second picture that was posted by shymexx

This is a suspension bridge so tell me the difference ...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://web.tradekorea.com/upload_file2/sell/85/S00023185/Steel_Cable_Suspension_Bridge.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.tradekorea.com/sell-leads-detail/S00023185/Steel%2520Cable%2520Suspension%2520Bridge.html&usg=__o6yXJ6TBFRTIvclGlARRgx8w4t4=&h=443&w=704&sz=55&hl=en&start=136&zoom=1&tbnid=kb2XZHnsRVs7bM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=140&ei=ruN_UYHnH5PF8QH50oDQBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSUSPENSION%2BBRIDGE%26start%3D120%26um%3D1%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CEoQrQMwDzh4
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by dammytosh: 4:45pm On Apr 30, 2013
9icest:

See hater cheesy grin. Mein Gotte...All these Ibos are nothing but some bunch of Arschloch grin grin grin grin cheesy

Hater ? for speaking the obvious. For your info i am a Yoruba Boy living and paying my tax in Lagos. E-diot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Peter Obi Reacts To Atiku’s Victory / Osun Election: Nigerians Are Watching Closely – Saraki Tells INEC / Patience Jonathan At The Burial Of Aduko Johnson Okpoko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.