Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria (42484 Views)

China Builds First 600-feet High, Glass-bottomed Bridge In The World (photos) / Former Lagos Governor Fashola In Mecca (Photo) / N29billion Lagos Suspension Bridge Is A Huge Fraud!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 4:46pm On Apr 30, 2013
other suspension bridges:

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 4:52pm On Apr 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by CID: 4:55pm On Apr 30, 2013
Who say nah Fashola build the bridge? (As if nah Lagos state project). It was not built using tax payers sweat. That is a project carried out by a private firm, who would have to collect tolls to get back all their investments on it.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 5:07pm On Apr 30, 2013
I've been trying to resist the temptation to repeat posts, but I guess I have to give in to it.

[size=14pt]Lagos to name concessionaire for Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge soon[/size]

Tuesday, 15 January 2013 08:23 JOSHUA BASSEY

Lagos State government is presently working on the appointment of a concessionaire that will be saddled with the responsibility of managing and collecting tolls on the beautifully designed cable-suspended Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge, BusinessDay has been told.

Plans for official opening of the bridge in November 2012 were stepped down owing to issues bordering on the preferred concessionaire to manage it. But a senior official of the state Ministry of Works and Infrastructure told BusinessDay on Monday that this is being resolved as the government is at the point of naming the concessionaire.

Technical details of the cable-suspended bridge said to be the first of its kind in West Africa as obtained by BusinessDay are as follows: total length, 1.358km; height of pylon, 87m from water level; navigational requirement clearance average of 9m above high water level; width of 16m across (8m on both sides); walkway – 4m across (2m on both sides); road works- Ikoyi end, 338.7m while Lekki end is 311.5m.

The official, who spoke anonymously, also said the amount to be paid as toll per vehicle plying the cable-suspended bridge will be arrived at together with the concessionaire, but ruled out the rumour that government was planning to impose a higher sum as toll.

On when it will be officially opened to the public, the official said “that is the exclusive prerogative of His Excellency, the governor. But what is certain now is that work has been completed, and the bridge is ready for handing over as soon as the concessionaire is appointed.”

It is expected that the link bridge will not only further enhance the value of property around the area, but the residents of highbrow Ikoyi, Lekki and adjourning Victoria Island will heave a sigh of relief from daily traffic challenge they face trying to connect either Ikoyi or Lekki through Falomo Bridge, Alfred Rewane Road or Lekki-Epe Road. The bridge will also reduce the current pressure on Lekki-Eti-Osa expressway.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/50230-lagos-to-name-concessionaire-for-lekki-ikoyi-bridge-soon
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 5:13pm On Apr 30, 2013
dammytosh:

Hater ? for speaking the obvious. For your info i am a Yoruba Boy leaving and paying my tax in Lagos. E-diot.

Stating obvious means stating facts and what you spewed was baseless rubbish and rumors..

btw, I don't believe you are a lagosian and that paying tax nonsense..
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by kross01(m): 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2013
eko ilee:

This is a suspension bridge so tell me the difference ...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://web.tradekorea.com/upload_file2/sell/85/S00023185/Steel_Cable_Suspension_Bridge.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.tradekorea.com/sell-leads-detail/S00023185/Steel%2520Cable%2520Suspension%2520Bridge.html&usg=__o6yXJ6TBFRTIvclGlARRgx8w4t4=&h=443&w=704&sz=55&hl=en&start=136&zoom=1&tbnid=kb2XZHnsRVs7bM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=140&ei=ruN_UYHnH5PF8QH50oDQBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSUSPENSION%2BBRIDGE%26start%3D120%26um%3D1%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CEoQrQMwDzh4
with all due respect sir, all through the length of the bridge in the pix u posted that spanned across the water, did you see any column(s) supporting the bridge asides the column handling the suspension cables?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by dammytosh: 5:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
eko ilee:

Stating obvious means stating facts and what you spewed was baseless rubbish and rumors..

btw, I don't believe you are a lagosian and that paying tax nonsense..

Ok so you think everybody rely on crumbs from Tinubu's table.

Tell me the rumor in the stated fact or keep licking your pay master's boot.

Please note that I don't engage politicians on argument that will move the nation forward cos all you know is agenda and loyalty to you f*** up masters.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2013
dammytosh:

Ok so you think everybody rely on crumbs from Tinubu's table.

Tell me the rumor in the stated fact or keep licking your pay master's boot.

Please note that I don't engage politicians on argument that will move the nation forward cos all you know is agenda and loyalty to you f*** up masters.

Tinubu is what you clowns lash on to when you run out of things to say...

Rumor is what clowns like you peddle all over the place and.if your rubbish is not rumors , let us see your facts....

Dumb Reterdeen loser....

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 5:37pm On Apr 30, 2013
kross_01:
with all due respect sir, all through the length of the bridge in the pix u posted that spanned across the water, did you see any column(s) supporting the bridge asides the column handling the suspension cables?

What I posted clearly says suspension bridge so don't bother me with your ignorance and inability to read...

There are other bridges posted with single column and columns doesn't determine anything...

What is your definition of suspension bridge anyway?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 5:59pm On Apr 30, 2013
Where is the man who invented grammar? I don't want to quote his post (I wish he was here to comment on this thread).
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
kross_01:

Alex Fraser Bridge in Canada

(Picture originally posted by "The Man Who Invented Grammar" )
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 6:04pm On Apr 30, 2013
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by jude33084(m): 6:07pm On Apr 30, 2013
baynix: I Wonder How PD-Pigs Go Take Win Lagos By 2015 oo!!

I Just Pray Make The Next Gidi Governor Get Mental Agility And Vision Like Fasho!!

Eko O Ni Baje Ooo!!

OMO THAT BRIDGE IS N500 TO PASS O cheesy

U PASS AM AND FORGET SOMETHING FOR HOUSE NA N1500 O grin
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by olusola200: 6:12pm On Apr 30, 2013
Fashola can do better with free hand and good money to toy with. He is the yoruba precidEntial candidate. Just like okorocha for igbos. Someome should tell the clueless oga at the top GEJ to stop witch hunting.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by okenwa101(m): 6:17pm On Apr 30, 2013
FASHOLA FOR PRESODOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by jude33084(m): 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2013
GeneralJ:

Are you one of the 'oyinbos' that are mounting it?,a lot of gov't building contracts these days in Nigeria are going to indigenious companies, the building materials are usually made in Nigeria, guess where the laborers come from? Nigeria, so how are oyinbos the one mounting it? please explain further on this topic.
About water in cities, what is the fisherman in chief doing, last time i checked wasn't there a ministry of water or something, why are they not doing anything??, where is all the money going ?, Lagos has commisioned about 15 mini water works or something like that in the last 2-3 years, and you are here talking about "half the population don't have access to basics", how do you know that, how do you just arrive at such a conclusion, please show us your research process..when almost every community in Lagos has a waterworks in it.

ABEG BROS NO VEX NA WHERE DEM COMMISSION THE WATER AND WHICH AREA THE WATER DEY SERVE FOR LAGOS?

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by kross01(m): 6:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
shymexx:

ekoilee called me ignorant for disputing this as a suspension bridge even with all the columns from the water carrying the load.please which part of the deck are the cables suspending? I rest my case.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by JustEmmy(m): 6:27pm On Apr 30, 2013
This bridge in question is a cable-stay bridge, which is a modern type and improved form of suspension bridges. Older suspension bridges had two towers or pylons but cable stay bridges have one pylon from where cables descend to carry the deck. What is not in doubt is that a very good and modern bridge has been built. And the cable-stayed section did not have to cover the entire length, just the required section for whatever reason that necessitated it.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by basilo101: 6:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
what type of suspension bridge is this? the bridge piers still have short spans hence the aim of using a suspension bridge is already defeated. those cables suspending the short suspended part of the bridge is virtually of no structural significance since the bridge can still stand without it, it only helps in giving the bridge more aesthetic appeal. the aim of using suspension bridge is to achieve longer spans of the bridge piers and do less work during pile driving
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 6:38pm On Apr 30, 2013
debosky: No one can make a definitive statement about the bridge, however it is very unlikely that the cable supports will be merely for 'fancy'. Based on the video provided on youtube, you have two bridge sections - the full span approach bridge, and the 'full' cable stay (or stayed) bridge supported by the pylon.

@
The Golden Gate bridge is a suspension bridge, which is different from a cable stayed bridge. The spans used in a suspension bridge are much greater than those for a cable stay bridge, reflected by the shorter span for the Ikoyi bridge. They may appear the same to a layman, but are very different.

The bridges you should be comparing to are the likes of the Alex Fraser Bridge in Canada or the Geoga Bridge in Korea

While the bridge sections close to the pylon will be supported by the pylon (i.e. cantilevered), sections further away are supported by the cables. There is no bridge design without some redundancy, and the cables are likely not supporting the entire bridge length (part pylon, part cables).

If, by calling it 'fancy', you mean that this particular bridge design was selected for its aesthetic qualities, then you may be correct. However, the cables are an essential (not aesthetic/fancy) element of a cable stayed bridge.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by firstYS(m): 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2013
let leave sentiment out of this. Most of our leaders lack IDEAS. No Development Competition in them. There suppose to be Whao everyday in them. Let one governor stand up and say ok for one year he wil be paying 2 local government unemployed youths some token amount.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 6:50pm On Apr 30, 2013
kross_01:
ekoilee called me ignorant for disputing this as a suspension bridge even with all the columns from the water carrying the load.please which part of the deck are the cables suspending? I rest my case.

What about the the pics of suspension bridge with columns all over like like the one in Canada up there?

You are arguing over deigns and not what is or not a suspension bridge.

Don't feed me your opinion, I prefer you come up with your own definition for suspension bridge..
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ekoilee: 6:51pm On Apr 30, 2013
JustEmmy: This bridge in question is a cable-stay bridge, which is a modern type and improved form of suspension bridges. Older suspension bridges had two towers or pylons but cable stay bridges have one pylon from where cables descend to carry the deck. What is not in doubt is that a very good and modern bridge has been built. And the cable-stayed section did not have to cover the entire length, just the required section for whatever reason that necessitated it.

Well said..
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by toshacer: 7:18pm On Apr 30, 2013
No be person build Third Mainland Bridge? No be person build the two Ikeja bridges? (Mike Akhigbe). Which one dem wan kill us for say person build bridge?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2013
tosh_acer: No be person build Third Mainland Bridge? No be person build the two Ikeja bridges? (Mike Akhigbe). Which one dem wan kill us for say person build bridge?

How is celebrating a good thing "killing you"?

There was a commissioning ceremony when Shagari completed the first phase of Third Mainland Bridge, even though he didn't finish the whole bridge. There was another commissioning ceremony when Babangida finished the bridge (remember the image of Rasaki dancing to Sir Shina Peters' music on the bridge?). In fact, there was a party on Third Mainland Bridge! How is that killing you?

What is wrong with building the first cable stayed bridge in West Africa?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by toshacer: 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2013
naptu2:

How is celebrating a good thing "killing you"?

There was a commissioning ceremony when Shagari completed the first phase of Third Mainland Bridge, even though he didn't finish the whole bridge. There was another commissioning ceremony when Babangida finished the bridge (remember the image of Rasaki dancing to Sir Shina Peters' music on the bridge?). In fact, there was a party on Third Mainland Bridge! How is that killing you?

What is wrong with building the first cable stayed bridge in West Africa?

Askology. Maa bimi. LOL. Cable stayed indeed.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 7:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
tosh_acer:

Askology. Maa bimi. LOL. Cable stayed indeed.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by toshacer: 7:44pm On Apr 30, 2013
naptu2:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

Clown
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by kross01(m): 7:50pm On Apr 30, 2013
eko ilee:

What about the the pics of suspension bridge with columns all over like like the one in Canada up there?

You are arguing over deigns and not what is or not a suspension bridge.

Don't feed me your opinion, I prefer you come up with your own definition for suspension bridge..
[b]A suspension bridge is a type of bridge in which the deck (the
load-bearing portion) is hung below suspension cables on vertical
suspenders.Bridges without
vertical suspenders have a long history in many mountainous
parts of the world.
This type of bridge has cables suspended between towers, plus
vertical suspender cables that carry the weight of the deck below,
upon which traffic crosses. This arrangement allows the deck to
be level or to arc upward for additional clearance. Like other
suspension bridge types, this type often is constructed without
falsework.
The suspension cables must be anchored at each end of the
bridge, since any load applied to the bridge is transformed into a
tension in these main cables. The main cables continue beyond
the pillars to deck-level supports, and further continue to
connections with anchors in the ground. The roadway is
supported by vertical suspender cables or rods, called hangers. In
some circumstances the towers may sit on a bluff or canyon
edge where the road may proceed directly to the main span,
otherwise the bridge will usually have two smaller spans, running
between either pair of pillars and the highway, which may be
supported by suspender cables or may use a truss bridge to
make this connection. In the latter case there will be very little arc
in the outboard main cables.[/b] excerpt from wikipedia
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_bridge
i am not arguing over design, my point is that you can not call that a suspension bridge when the supposed deck that are supposed to be suspended by cables are perfectly resting on columns that are bearing the load. Which part of the bridge is being suspended hia please

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tpia5: 8:06pm On Apr 30, 2013
Its a single pylon bridge, also known as cable stayed bridge.

There are different types of suspension bridges.

I believe cables arent only for supporting decks, but also for weight distribution, and this can be done in different ways.

Just guessing here.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by esere826: 8:16pm On Apr 30, 2013
'Cable stayed' bridge it is then'
a round of applause for the proper naming ceremony
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by premium1: 8:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
God bless Fashola andd his generationssssssssss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

IPOB Man Blasted For Threatening Killing, Saying Lagos Is Not Anybody's Property / 'Girls Can Fly': Tolulope Arotile Honoured In Comic Book (photos) / President Buhari Inauguration Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.