Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? (9629 Views)

Orphanage: Lagos Ministry Relocates 25 Children To Unknown Destination / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / Men That Want Their Women Pregnant Before They Can Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

the alfa that was teaching us arabic when we were in secondary school is now a lawyer. i remember this because my mum contributed some money towards his schooling

If I were to go by AJ's original post, he should not have gone to school at all because his folks could not afford it undecided He should have taken the 50-50 chance route.

2 Likes

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by ow11(m): 3:05pm On May 08, 2013
damiso: I kinda understand it comes from an innate parental impulse to what your kids to better than you.Though i kinda see the point being raised by the OP.
Sorry but let me throw another curveball,what of white collar workers who clearly cannot afford some high fee paying schools (primary or secondary) but still insist on sacricing for their kids to attend those school.E.g A family income of 1.2M a yr spending 700-800 thousand on schl fees yearly?Am asking cos there is a current dispute in my family where someone advised another"You cant keep doing this(running around at the beggining of every term cos its clear your income cant afford this school.Cant you withdraw and take them to a cheaper school?".They are currently not on speaking terms.

Isn't this the same reason Nigerians in the US and UK still send their kids to private primary schools? Even though it is PRIMARY SCHOOL! and the state run ones are probably in the same class and FREE
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 08, 2013
esere826: *sighs deeply*

Both sides of the argument make fine points
This is one of those times I'd rather sit on the fence

there are so many factors to be considered
With the relatively cheap cost of schooling in Nigeria,
I'd rather that parents scrape to send their kids to uni

Looking at things from a crime perspective in Nigeria and throwing away morals
an educated jobless youth could fit into a white collar crime with little or no blood on their hands
an uneducated and jobless youth on the other hand could more easilly fit into cold blooded highway robbery

*Back to sitting on the fence I go*

Please sir,

Clear a spot for me on the fence, I am definitely sitting out this one.

*Grabs Notepad and pen, sits beside Esere826, and start taking notes*
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

If I were to go by AJ's original post, he should not have gone to school at all because his folks could not afford it undecided He should have taken the 50-50 chance route.

things have changed a lot from our parents' time.

my dad was from a poor background - but state schools were much better back then, and so were universities. that was a good time for everyone. as you come out of school, you get car loan , etc.

the dynamics have changed since then
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

things have changed a lot from our parents' time.

my dad was from a poor background - but state schools were much better back then, and so were universities. that was a good time for everyone. as you come out of school, you get car loan , etc.

the dynamics have changed since then

My dear, things have changed everywhere. Up until 1997, tertiary education was free in the UK. The govt not only paid your fees but you also got subsistence grants to cover some of your living costs. Things are different today, you could get free education in Scotland but will have to borrow what was previously given out as grants. And could end paying as much as much as £9000 per year in fees if you chose a school in England.

The way I see, some of 'us' live in bubble and expect others to make tough decisions easily.

Let me throwback AJ's question differently. If you as a 'comfortable' Nigerian know that your child has little or no aptitude for academics, would you take them out of school and make them learn a 'trade'?

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 3:46pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

My dear, things have changed everywhere. Up until 1997, tertiary education was free in the UK. The govt not only paid your fees but you also got subsistence grants to cover some of your living costs. Things are different today, you could get free education in Scotland but will have to borrow what was previously given out as grants. And could end paying as much as much as £9000 per year in fees if you chose a school in England.

The way I see, some of 'us' live in bubble and expect others to make tough decisions easily.

Let me throwback AJ's question differently. If you as a 'comfortable' Nigerian know that your child has little or no aptitude for academics, would you take them out of school and make them learn a 'trade'?

Well, I have a personal experience like that, which I won't post on NL.
But nobody said anything about making anybody do anything. If you cannot afford it is the issue here. If you can, who cares what you decide to do with your children? They are yours after all.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well, I have a personal experience like that, which I won't post on NL.
But nobody said anything about making anybody do anything. If you cannot afford it is the issue here. If you can, who cares what you decide to do with your children? They are yours after all.

Herein lies the problem. Both scenarios paint a picture of 'school' not being the right track but one decision appears to be easy to make for economic reasons undecided
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 4:12pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

Herein lies the problem. Both scenarios paint a picture of 'school' not being the right track but one decision appears to be easy to make for economic reasons undecided

Well, my argument is not about school being the right track. I am only saying, if you no fit afford am, you no go find something else to do? Is that an excuse for not doing anything?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Edoboy1(m): 4:18pm On May 08, 2013
Nor worri.....wen u sef born, tell dem say sch nor gud. Make dem learn work
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 08, 2013
@op, I disagree totally. Anything in this life can be achieved if strived for, including a carrying parent sending their Ward to school.
Naija is not a place lacking cement block carriers and wheel barrow pushers.
A plethora of physically strong individuals already clamour for even those sorts of "jobs".
I would want a better life for my children too. We need more educated thinkers.

The most important thing is what does the person want to do?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well, my argument is not about school being the right track. I am only saying, if you no fit afford am, you no go find something else to do? Is that an excuse for not doing anything?

This is a tough one o because I am just trying to put myself in the same position. Mahn, it is a tough one.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Dreamflyin(m): 4:24pm On May 08, 2013
Okay peeps. Gud opinions, but why should u giv birth to kids u can't train in d university comfortably?
Why must u?
Is dis life or ur kids life a lottery?
Most parents deserve the firing squad!

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Venchy: 4:51pm On May 08, 2013
Nigerian factor, University syndrome, follow follow, well this mindset is totally wrong and it's not bringing out the best in some people by thinking University or college is the only way out.

I love playing football when I was young even up to my secondary school but I recieve the beating of my life from my uncle who's academically inclined but fail to realise we are not the same.

The influence of our NIGERIAN parent and the society at large have a serious effect in our decision making.

I wish I can turn back the time, TRADES FOR LIFE.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 5:09pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

probably not - though i think the issue here may be others expecting you to assist in what essentially is a wasted investment. someone comes to me to ask that i help pay his kid's school fees. it is clear the kid is not particularly smart [ its quite possible that this may be due to environment etal] - so do i throw good money after bad?

i experienced a lot of this growing up, as my dad spent a lot of money sending disadvantaged relatives to school.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 08, 2013
I don't really know oo
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 5:16pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:
i experienced a lot of this growing up, as my dad spent a lot of money sending disadvantaged relatives to school.

How did that turn out for them? Just curious.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

probably not - though i think the issue here may be others expecting you to assist in what essentially is a wasted investment. someone comes to me to ask that i help pay his kid's school fees. it is clear the kid is not particularly smart [ its quite possible that this may be due to environment etal] - so do i throw good money after bad?

Do you know how many of those relatives would have gone to learn a trade if an opportunity to borrow for their own education was presented to them?! Only the ones you really wanted it and that is why I said it is not an easy decision but I can see why one would be loathe to throw good money after bad as you put it.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by mymz(f): 5:34pm On May 08, 2013
Seun, jor farabale na. oboy you mean this your rules o

@topic, blue-collar workers just like workers of the other sectors are banking on what is known to be the sure way to earn a decent living in present day Nigeria - Education. Where education no longer translates into acquiring the mindset that sets you apart and instills in you the right mentality, attitude and ability to create wealth for yourself, by yourself, but now translates into acquiring a certificate (by any means necessary i might add).

This perception is further fueled by the slow but sure death the blue-collar sector faced at the hands of our ignoramus leaders in the late 80's and the 90's. Thus, pragmatism may be one word too many gone amiss in the dictionaries of these humbled parents who just want a better life for their wards, although going about it the not-so-right way.

2 Likes

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 08, 2013
mymz:

@topic, blue-collar workers just like workers of the other sectors are banking on what is known to be the sure way to earn a decent living in present day Nigeria - Education. Where education no longer translates into acquiring the mindset that sets you apart and instills in you the right mentality, attitude and ability to create wealth for yourself, by yourself, but now translates into acquiring a certificate (by any means necessary i might add).

This perception is further fueled by the slow but sure death the blue-collar sector faced at the hands of our ignoramus leaders in the late 80's and the 90's. Thus, pragmatism may be one word too many gone amiss in the dictionaries of these humbled parents who just want a better life for their wards, although going about it the not-so-right way.

You have just nailed my opinion. Well done. 1000 likes
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by adefesoj: 5:54pm On May 08, 2013
This question is so stupid! And I cant imagine that such a question will ever be on a social blog as this. Are you implying that people should ever remain ignorant?!
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

They actually turned out great surprisingly , I have a cousin that got all As in waec and he was the GM in one of those new generation banks now, he handles all my finances at home. I remembered vividly when he came to our house with only what he had on. You know, his mom is my dad's distant cousin cousin undecided just cause they're less privileged doesn't make them dull.

Who doesn't want a sound Education for their kids? rich average or poor, literate or illiterate

I'd say go for it as long as you don't steal , it pays off no matter what. You can't compare a mere handy man who'll uyfix a broken power outlet for $10/hr to electric engineer who will collect admin fee before you get him to check your circuit and pay him $25+tax.

My first child wants to be a pianist and I'd loved her to be a Barrister , she's the church pianist and can fiddle with those keys blindfolded and its dawning on us what the reality is about her path in life <=Now that's choice

Every child deserve a shot unless he/she chose a different path.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 08, 2013
mymz:

NOTED

For the record, Seun might want to take a look at his rules
I do respect the need for order, but make sure the laws are clearly defined,
Most of your laws are vague.

Thank you.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by cecegorz(m): 6:02pm On May 08, 2013
AjanleKoko: Here is something to think about, albeit a bit controversial.

Why do lower-class blue-collar workers insist on ensuring that their children go to tertiary institutions in Nigeria?
There are many cases I've seen of blue-collar workers, who can ill-afford it, bust their backs ensuring that their children all go to universities. It's noble, but is it really practical?
It's all herd mentality about what worked yesterday, hoping it will keep on working till eternity. Back in the days, University education used to be the silver bullet for a low-income family to join the big league, it may still work for folks from ELDS up North whose slot in the federal character inspired govt parastatals will always remain open.
Down south, almost every family already have 2-3 generation of graduates competing for the few available civil service jobs and the almost non-existent private sector openings.
But then, I will also support a blue-collar parent with clear brilliant kids to ensure they get a UNI education, even if it means breaking their back.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by slyk2(m): 6:06pm On May 08, 2013
[/quote][color=#990000]
AjanleKoko: Here is something to think about, albeit a bit controversial.

Why do lower-class blue-collar workers insist on ensuring that their children go to tertiary institutions in Nigeria?
There are many cases I've seen of blue-collar workers, who can ill-afford it, bust their backs ensuring that their children all go to universities. It's noble, but is it really practical?

That is a typical situation with any person who is average.
Many of them do not understand the real matrix of finance.
All they desire are safety nets, invariably their offsprings remains capitalist slaves.
Check out the theory of families!
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 08, 2013
adefesoj: This question is so stupid! And I cant imagine that such a question will ever be on a social blog as this. Are you implying that people should ever remain ignorant?!

I can see how a degree in library sciences can be enlightening grin

@ Jidegirl, the problem is knowing there is a choice.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

99% wasted investment

the best i can recall is one is a teacher somewhere - it sometimes vexes me still, because all that money could have been used to send abroad instead cheesy tongue
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

99% wasted investment

the best i can recall is one is a teacher somewhere - it sometimes vexes me still, because all that money could have been used to send abroad instead cheesy tongue

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I was beginning to wonder if you and Jide are related since she answered in your stead.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

Do you know how many of those relatives would have gone to learn a trade if an opportunity to borrow for their own education was presented to them?! Only the ones you really wanted it and I guess that is why I said it is not an easy decision but I can see why one would be loathe to throw good money after bad as you put it.

borrow ke?

na dash now

when oyibos dash you money for school [scholarship] you reciprocate by having 3.5 gpa, or you find your way - no story.

that too is part of the issue. if there was caveat - you will pay back with interest - lets see how many relatives will come round

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

borrow ke?

na dash now

when oyibos dash you money for school [scholarship] you reciprocate by having 3.5 gpa, or you find your way - no story.

that too is part of the issue. if there was caveat - you will pay back with interest - lets see how many relatives will come round

This is why I said you must really want it and be willing to pay for it. I'd agree with AJ about some 20 yr old sitting his adolescent ar5e at home while his parents break their backs for something they can ill afford and even he is not sure why he needs/wants it other than to get a job undecided

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

Come on now, I don't think it's a problem, in Nigerian context every available choice requires money anyways so what's the difference?? The only free choice is armed robbery / politics and I doubt it's easy to join either.

I'm not surprised at the oyb's guy responses, he's just jealous and it's normal , I felt that too when my dad secured him a job right away after service,while I was sent abroad to further my education in a freezer angry the guy takes his family around the world for vaca just warming the bank executive seat and making calls. His wife treats me like a queen.

I recalled this guy that came on NL for tuition fee ? Could he have served a purpose of his choice if he had chose to train as a mechanic instead of thriving for education at all possible ways? something to think about.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by onegig(m): 7:02pm On May 08, 2013
Your question really hit some nerves here.

Had a kinda large nuclear cum extended family structure and my nuclear family struggled to send all of us to school i.e uni. but the other family opted for trade and a mix of uni.

But today, those from the other family who had trade training are doing perfectly okay but we that schooled and did everything are still just strugglling to patch things up.

If i look back I wish I had a technical skill much earlier before proceeding to Uni although I do now. But Speaking from experience, I would say as long as you can afford to give your kids sound secondary/high school education. I.e. ability to read, write and comprehend what goes around them then a little trade training of between 1-2 years should be encouraged before even thinking of proceeding to university. By then they would even be able to subsidize their education themselves and earn little money part time which would aid their schooling.

As a rejoinder most of my elders are still in the lurch trying to acquire more certs with meager resources when they realized that even the B.sc they had have not turned up very positive and my dad is kinda bitter about the situation of things.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by ow11(m): 7:08pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe:

I can see how a degree in library sciences can be enlightening grin

Actually, he believes all artisans are ignorant which is why his mechanic and carpenter never outiwit him. . This mentality is the real problem!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can U Marry A Lady That Has A Child / Surehome Marriage Seminar: Parenting Styles That Work / Is 6 Weeks Too Much For A Husband To Wait For Wife To Recover After Childbirth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.