Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,160 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? (9630 Views)

Orphanage: Lagos Ministry Relocates 25 Children To Unknown Destination / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / Men That Want Their Women Pregnant Before They Can Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 11:17am On May 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

It's almost pointless to dispute the bolded. But just how many 'professional' courses are available for study in the university, for study?

my dictionay is messing with my spellings
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 11:32am On May 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

It's almost pointless to dispute the bolded. But just how many 'professional' courses are available for study in the university, for study?

Medicine, engineering and some other courses are thought in the unis and polys, are these not proffesional courses?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 11:41am On May 10, 2013
phoinix:

Medicine, engineering and some other courses are thought in the unis and polys, are these not proffesional courses?

Medicine/medical sciences, engineering, law, accounting/finance/banking, are the so-called 'professional courses'.

Did you by any chance study any of those, and have you been able to easily 'evade poverty' as a result?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 11:59am On May 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Medicine/medical sciences, engineering, law, accounting/finance/banking, are the so-called 'professional courses'.

Did you by any chance study any of those, and have you been able to easily 'evade poverty' as a result?

lol, my life is kinda complicated, besides, I said abject poverty, I believe poverty has gradations.

I have friends who came from poorer backrounds and are better off now, just because they strived with resolve through school in the face of finacial difficulties.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by maclatunji: 3:44pm On May 10, 2013
onegig:

Ok...i need a job in the civil service mac. grin grin

Like the proverbial saying It's easier to pass a camel's head through the eyes of a needle than to secure a job in the civil service. Why do you see most youth opting for bank jobs and other enslaving jobs if positions in the civil service where job security is a bit guaranteed are available like you said.

I never said it is easy, that is why I said "after a few years" when I initially referred to the civil service. I say compared to other relatively secure jobs in Nigeria, the civil service is easier to get into if you are willing to do the job and wait until you get it.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by maclatunji: 3:48pm On May 10, 2013
phoinix:

lol, my life is kinda complicated, besides, I said abject poverty, I believe poverty has gradations.

I have friends who came from poorer backrounds and are better off now, just because they strived with resolve through school in the face of finacial difficulties.

That is the point. It is all about placement in Nigeria. People seek to acquire degrees for placement not knowledge. Very few people actually "learn" in the University or other tertiary institutions. They just go there to obtain certificates and start demanding for jobs with certain entitlements. For many, a job is all about salary and entitlements in Nigeria, nothing else.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 10, 2013
maclatunji:

That is the point. It is all about placement in Nigeria. People seek to acquire degrees for placement not knowledge. Very few people actually "learn" in the University or other tertiary institutions. They just go there to obtain certificates and start demanding for jobs with certain entitlements. For many, a job is all about salary and entitlements in Nigeria, nothing else.

I believe education is not an end in its self, must people go to school so they can work and live decent lifes. It's up to the universities to make sure their graduates hold certificates that are based on merit.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 13, 2013
@OP consider sending dis thread to the FP https://www.nairaland.com/1289490/dont-let-kids-study-majors
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by WhiteOne(f): 3:29pm On May 14, 2013
Better from a poorer or middle class back ground, then all those spoiled brats from rich families! Those children do not have a sense what live is all about and go to university for ages . . .
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by WhiteOne(f): 3:53pm On May 14, 2013
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by ow11(m): 2:55am On May 15, 2013
WhiteOne: A managing director came from aboard to set up a new business in Nigeria. He came with a large amount of capital to invest. He did not tell anybody who he was just went to his business site and started working alongside the workers he got his hand very dirty. He did that for one month and then he got ride off all the people who did not worked hard as he did. He kicked out the family friends, the people with degrees and masters. He keep only the people how had proven their worth to him. That man was blessed in any way, his business increased, his family prospered and his children/family know he does not have time or money to waist on any one
I have to report their where same people with degrees, which did well under him.
I asked him, why he did that, he just say “I am training my own children that it means to be a business owner.” My sons have to understand the value of hard work, he travelled a lot and that was the lesion he learned himself.

Wtf
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by WhiteOne(f): 1:11pm On May 15, 2013
Never mind
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 15, 2013
WhiteOne: Never mind

Hi, would you go out of your way to get a loan so that you can have your child attend college? Or, have him work straight from high school?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 2:36pm On May 15, 2013
naijababe:

If I were to go by AJ's original post, he should not have gone to school at all because his folks could not afford it undecided He should have taken the 50-50 chance route.

if oyb's mother didn't contribute the money nko? The Alfa could have done something else, worked and earned money for some time, and sent himself to school to read law. After all the likes of Awolowo, that is how they earned their degrees.

If you're lucky to find a benefactor, that's all right. But many people just expect that someone will pay the bills or carry the can for their schooling. It's as simple as that. When they finally leave the school, they are back to the benefactor to help them find a job. What comes next after that, help them find a wife?

What poor people need is empowerment, not handouts. That's what Mohammed Yunus preaches, and I 100% agree with him. That you are poor does not make you exempt from paying your way. What you deserve is the opportunity to earn, and not a free pass.

In short, there is a 'needy' culture among us, we like to play victim, and we brand any successful person or entity as 'lucky' or 'favoured'.

4 Likes

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 15, 2013
AjanleKoko:

if oyb's mother didn't contribute the money nko? The Alfa could have done something else, worked and earned money for some time, and sent himself to school to read law. After all the likes of Awolowo, that is how they earned their degrees.

If you're lucky to find a benefactor, that's all right. But many people just expect that someone will pay the bills or carry the can for their schooling. It's as simple as that. When they finally leave the school, they are back to the benefactor to help them find a job. What comes next after that, help them find a wife?

What poor people need is empowerment, not handouts. That's what Mohammed Yunus preaches, and I 100% agree with him. That you are poor does not make you exempt from paying your way. What you deserve is the opportunity to earn, and not a free pass.

In short, there is a 'needy' culture among us, we like to play victim, and we brand any successful person or entity as 'lucky' or 'favoured'.

I am sorry but that Awolowo example is completely irrelevant unless you know anyone wanting to hire a 40 year old graduate. I want people to pay their way but I realise that it is not always possible even if they want to. Unless you can show me a medical student in Nigeria who can combine a job as cleaner with his medical studies undecided

It is all well and good to ask people to pay their way and all but what I'd like to know is what 'we' the 'empowered' do to help them in this capacity? Isn't that what the likes of Sir Alan Sugar do on the Apprentice?!

I don't need a gardner or a driver but I will employ a student as one if they show the will to earn and study.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Ndipe(m): 11:51pm On May 15, 2013
ileobatojo: I would say the question is why not? Nothing wrong with parents wanting a better life for their kids. Even if you feel it's worthless in Nigeria due to lack of jobs, you never know, just one of those kids could be blessed and elevate the rest of the family. Also the education expands their horizon. It's a good move IMO.

Great answer.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Gregopara(f): 5:40am On Jun 16, 2013
AjanleKoko:
Are they playing a lottery with the children? The irony is that, a lot of these children also have to bribe or cheat their way to those higher institutions like a lot of other children. And most of them will probably either not do particularly well at school, and may end up sitting at home unemployed. What happens then?

We should move from the 'you never know' mindset, and try to be a bit more pragmatic in the way we live life in Nigeria, IMO.

You missed it by a mile. If you must know, most students that graduate top of their class are neither children of 'white- collar' folks or the rich.

PS: And being a blue collar worker with low pay doesn't make you lower class. It's just a job like any other job sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Surehome Marriage Seminar: Parenting Styles That Work / Is 6 Weeks Too Much For A Husband To Wait For Wife To Recover After Childbirth? / Pls My Brother In Law Is Hypnotized, How Do I Handle The Scammer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.