Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,059 members, 7,818,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? (9631 Views)

Orphanage: Lagos Ministry Relocates 25 Children To Unknown Destination / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / Men That Want Their Women Pregnant Before They Can Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 08, 2013
Bottom Line; Kids should be Allowed to make their own choice to reduce unnecessary expenses .
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by chessguru1(m): 7:09pm On May 08, 2013
Chie see rules wey seun dey slam us with b4 we post shocked
By the way waiting be all this blue collar, white collar, purple collar stuff una dey talk for here.
The color of the collar is a function of the color of the shirt nah tongue
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 08, 2013
jidegirl12:

Come on now, I don't think it's a problem, in Nigerian context every available choice requires money anyways so what's the difference?? The only free choice is armed robbery / politics and I doubt it's easy to join either.

I'm not surprised at the oyb's guy responses, he's just jealous and it's normal , I felt that too when my dad secured him a job right away after service,while I was sent abroad to further my education in a freezer angry the guy takes his family around the world for vaca just warming the bank executive seat and making calls. His wife treats me like a queen.

I recalled this guy that came on NL for tuition fee ? Could he have served a purpose of his choice if he had chose to train as a mechanic instead of thriving for education at all possible ways? something to think about.

Hmmm......If your kid were being raised in the naija of the 80s you'd have a different opinion on his desire to be a pianist? My point is that people think that education is the only way out as mymz pointed in her post. There are lotsa folks who clearly have no aptitude for academics but could give Honda engineers a run for their money when it comes to cobbling parts together. As far as they are concerned, the only way to 'make it' to use the naija parlance is via a certificate.

Na only God sabi wetin dey worry dis Seun boy! I am sure I am not the only one ignoring his ten commandments undecided

2 Likes

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 08, 2013
adefesoj: This question is so stupid! And I cant imagine that such a question will ever be on a social blog as this. Are you implying that people should ever remain ignorant?!

So everybody wey you see for unilag is intelligent literate ? grin

Naijababe I thought we are discussing 2013 not '80s.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 08, 2013
jidegirl12:

So everybody wey you see for unilag is intelligent literate ? grin

Before nko? grin

Unfortunately and I say this shamefacedly, the 80s mindset is still very prevalent in Naija sad

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by armyofone(m): 7:34pm On May 08, 2013
Aj, I'm going to agree with you here. In the US, most middle class children take care of their education themselves. You see many of them working menial jobs and taking student loans. Some go for handwork or getting certification in something that will bring in money in 24months.
Everyone is going to school in Nigeria, not a bad thing but why not do handwork?
I did my first year at UI and it was funny seeing students going about with spoons in their pocket, can't pay fees, being sent out of class etc.
If you are smart and can get scholarship ( wink cheesy) great.
if your parents can afford it, great.
But we should not put unnecessary hardship on parents by taking the little they get by on.
all fingers are not equal.

Learn a trade, save up if possible and see yourself through school. College if not for everyone nor is it a sure ticket to better life.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 08, 2013
I think parents should observe thier children, cos children who are academically inclined should be encouraged by all rightful means to purse further education irrespective of thier parents economical standing.

Good education should not be for the rich and those who can afford it , but for those who have the flair. Blue, white and yellow collar has nothing to do with it, jeeze!

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 08, 2013
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 08, 2013
OYB!!!! O ju gbogbo eleyi lo now sad

@ armyofone, I agree with you completely, you want it you must be willing to pay for it.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 08, 2013
naijababe: OYB!!!! O ju gbogbo eleyi lo now sad

fixed smiley
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

fixed smiley

High 5 eh jare cool
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by cecegorz(m): 9:09pm On May 08, 2013
oyb:

probably not - though i think the issue here may be others expecting you to assist in what essentially is a wasted investment. someone comes to me to ask that i help pay his kid's school fees. it is clear the kid is not particularly smart [ its quite possible that this may be due to environment etal] - so do i throw good money after bad?

i experienced a lot of this growing up, as my dad spent a lot of money sending disadvantaged relatives to school.
I don't think it's a problem if your dad had the means as long as it wasn't at the expense of his own immediate family.
I actually plan to do same when I get the means but I'll put a stringent KPI. The students must be book smart and MUST maintain above 3.5 GPA @ every semester.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 9:32pm On May 08, 2013
cecegorz:
I don't think it's a problem if your dad had the means as long as it wasn't at the expense of his own immediate family.
I actually plan to do same when I get the means but I'll put a stringent KPI. The students must be book smart and MUST maintain above 3.5 GPA @ every semester.

I like the second part of your post better. It's not about the expense and the impact on the giver, but the fact remains that, for every kobo wasted on tertiary education for an unsuitable recipient, their is a better candidate that suffers the lack of that kobo.

Note I said unsuitable, not undeserving.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Ardedaryor(m): 11:20pm On May 08, 2013
very very nice thread + beautiful point of views...walahi!!! page bookmarked
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Ardedaryor(m): 11:20pm On May 08, 2013
very very nice thread + beautiful point of views...i dey follow every bit no spanner must lost....walahi!!! page bookmarked
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by ceaz4r(m): 11:49pm On May 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
What's wrong with a child of a blue-collar worker learning a trade, and earning money from an early age?
Or, in the converse, what is right about a blue-collar worker begging, borrowing, and stealing, to ensure their four or five children all attend one higher institution or the other?

Are they playing a lottery with the children? The irony is that, a lot of these children also have to bribe or cheat their way to those higher institutions like a lot of other children. And most of them will probably either not do particularly well at school, and may end up sitting at home unemployed. What happens then?

We should move from the 'you never know' mindset, and try to be a bit more pragmatic in the way we live life in Nigeria, IMO.

Very low-thinking.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 09, 2013
I don't think any child has ever blamed a parent for not pushing them hard enough. But they have beef with their parents for pushing them too much, creating friction in the parent-child relationship, regardless of the outcome. Everything must be done with balance.

A balance of what you know to be best, but without overriding their desires.
E.g Child (adult) says, I want to go to UNIVERSITY to study "Library Sciences" (or some shit). You smile and first of all ask if he wants to hear your opinion on the matter.

If he says yes, advice him otherwise and to instead, go see a professional counsellor to discuss with them or even better, advice him to go and look for alumni of this "Library Sciences" programme to see what they would say about the programme. Young adults respond better to advice from other people with experience on the subject who aren't their parents.

If he says he doesn't want to hear your opinion on the matter, all the best to him, but he should understand that you don't have the money to throw away on courses like that. At least in this part of the world, people have student aid or in anywhere sef, he can work for the money to put himself through school for "Library Sciences". undecided And be sure to say it all with a smile grin

Simple.
In each case, you have respected the adult status of the child and not overridden his will, yet not sunk yourself to depths of stupidity supporting nonsense. He is learning the way of life, about making decisions and about choosing to listen to sound advice. He won't learn these by being controlled and forced into doing or not doing things.

This clears the field, as responding any other way "like yelling and generally trying to control him by saying no" would put the child in a state of spite and he would do what he thought he wanted (but which may not be what he actually wants after rethinking) JUST TO SPITE you. Afterall who are you to dictate the course of his life for him?

Na so God sef dey do us.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 6:54am On May 09, 2013
AjanleKoko: Here is something to think about, albeit a bit controversial.

Why do lower-class blue-collar workers insist on ensuring that their children go to tertiary institutions in Nigeria?
There are many cases I've seen of blue-collar workers, who can ill-afford it, bust their backs ensuring that their children all go to universities. It's noble, but is it really practical?

It`s because they know, first hand, the consequences of living without a uni degree and they want a better life for their children. What's so wrong with that?
Evidently, kids from humble backgrounds are less likely to take the opportunity for granted.

Education shouldn't be for the rich, it should be for the worthy.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Ekowise(m): 8:12am On May 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
What's wrong with a child of a blue-collar worker learning a trade, and earning money from an early age?
Or, in the converse, what is right about a blue-collar worker begging, borrowing, and stealing, to ensure their four or five children all attend one higher institution or the other?

Are they playing a lottery with the children? The irony is that, a lot of these children also have to bribe or cheat their way to those higher institutions like a lot of other children. And most of them will probably either not do particularly well at school, and may end up sitting at home unemployed. What happens then?

We should move from the 'you never know' mindset, and try to be a bit more pragmatic in the way we live life in Nigeria, IMO.
is that the reason for their unemployment in Nigeria or the do not have OGA@ THE TOP? Because you and i know lot of intelligent once with good qualifications and grade but are umemployed after years of graduation. Do we say life has been unfair to them? They lack the power of "oga@ the top? Or they are waiting for their time?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 9:19am On May 09, 2013
"...those whose palm-kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble."
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by esere826: 9:49am On May 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:
...........I was in a situation like that recently. The person was a widow with three children, she was working as a house maid.
My frank advice to the person was to focus on the child that showed the most significant academic promise. For the others, I recommended that they go to trade schools or even get a job, and start supporting their sibling who would school full-time. Needless to say the advice did not go down well with her, and she left discouraged. .........

From the reactions to your post, I bet you have a feel of what played out in the woman's mind
I wont be surprised if she didnt bother analysing it so rigorously as folks have so done in this thread
She might simply have jumped straight to the conclusion that this oga na wicked oga

advises are somethimes like beautiful precious gold rings
they should be given to those who would treat it as precious

(adapted from Proverbs http://bible.cc/proverbs/11-22.htm)
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 11:35am On May 09, 2013
I will use igbo men as a case study. You will notice that some igbo men without college education are more successful than some with college education. Reason being that the former do not mind getting their hands dirty(by dirty I mean menial jobs) while the formal is all boxed up with a feeling of self importance for the certificate acquired and rejects opportunities that are below his educational level.

College education is a type of formal knowledge acquisition which should be applied in the real world by the learner. Unfortunately you see trained lawyers(ie Funke Akindele) leave their profession for another. Thus making college education overrated.

Also college education can be likened to the love of artificial hair by black women :black women wear artificial hair not to be white but it gives them a feeling of importance and wealth similarly college education gives Nigerians a sense of importance and wealth(even when it is otherwise)

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by biolabee(m): 1:50pm On May 09, 2013
onegig: Your question really hit some nerves here.

Had a kinda large nuclear cum extended family structure and my nuclear family struggled to send all of us to school i.e uni. but the other family opted for trade and a mix of uni.

But today, those from the other family who had trade training are doing perfectly okay but we that schooled and did everything are still just strugglling to patch things up.

If i look back I wish I had a technical skill much earlier before proceeding to Uni although I do now. But Speaking from experience, I would say as long as you can afford to give your kids sound secondary/high school education. I.e. ability to read, write and comprehend what goes around them then a little trade training of between 1-2 years should be encouraged before even thinking of proceeding to university. By then they would even be able to subsidize their education themselves and earn little money part time which would aid their schooling.

As a rejoinder most of my elders are still in the lurch trying to acquire more certs with meager resources when they realized that even the B.sc they had have not turned up very positive and my dad is kinda bitter about the situation of things.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by maclatunji: 2:05pm On May 09, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well, we have a lot of cleaners, security guards, office assistants in my company that all go to school part time.
Some attend the NOUN.

There is this chap that was an office assistant when I was working in another company in 2001, and he was doing his OND at the time in Yaba Tech. He has since been to get his HND in Insurance, and now works in an insurance company, a multinational one

In fact a number of us who knew him back then are his clients today.

I wonder why we always think a success story must be an exception in Nigeria. undecided

I think I am getting what you are saying from this post. It is not that children of blue collar parents should not seek higher education, but that they should be willing to find alternative means of financing their education. Is that what you are saying?

I have noticed that it is much easier to get a job in Nigeria at ND level or below. Some even earn better salaries than graduates and you do wonder sometimes if they have not chosen the smarter route. They can then further their education with relatively good financial status.

Your opening post was not it for me, but if what I have expanded on is what you are saying, then, I agree with you. However, each individual and situation is unique. Hence, it might be better to go to school straight and battle the labour market thereafter.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by onegig(m): 2:45pm On May 09, 2013
maclatunji:

I think I am getting what you are saying from this post. It is not that children of blue collar parents should not seek higher education, but that they should be willing to find alternative means of financing their education. Is that what you are saying?

I have noticed that it is much easier to get a job in Nigeria at ND level or below. Some even earn better salaries than graduates and you do wonder sometimes if they have not chosen the smarter route. They can then further their education with relatively good financial status.

Your opening post was not it for me, but if what I have expanded on is what you are saying, then, I agree with you. However, each individual and situation is unique. Hence, it might be better to go to school straight and battle the labour market thereafter.

Shouldn't even only be about blue collar workers alone but also white collar workers who are finding it hard financing comfortably higher education. There's nothing bad in been independent . No one says getting higher education is bad but seriously they are not yielding the needed results for most. So why continue on that route?

Go to University on borrowed money and struggle to get out. Graduate and you are faced with the endemic unemployment situation and you find that there's a total disconnect between the theory you are taught in school and what applies in real life.

Do you know the average Nigeria youth spends 2-3 years after their high school education before getting admission. Even after getting the admission it might not be their choice courses and most just struggle to get this certificates. Schooling should be about getting educated and enlightened but in Nigeria it's about getting the certificate which might turn out useless in the end.

So tell me is it worth it?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by maclatunji: 2:58pm On May 09, 2013
onegig:

Shouldn't even only be about blue collar workers alone but also white collar workers who are finding it hard financing comfortably higher education. There's nothing bad in been independent . No one says getting higher education is bad but seriously they are not yielding the needed for most. So why continue on that route?

Go to University on borrowed money and struggling. Graduate and you are faced with the endemic unemployment situation and you find that there's a total disconnect between the theory you are taught in school and what applies in real life.

So tell me is it worth it?

Well, for many it is. At least, they can end-up in the civil service after a few years. They may not excel there too but it means that they have a guaranteed monthly income and leave their lives. It is killing the country but it is for most individuals a means to an end.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 8:57am On May 10, 2013
maclatunji:

I meant exactly what I said in the first post.
It is more realistic for people whose parents cannot afford university education to pursue alternative options of empowerment. That could include learning a trade, getting a job to support themselves and pay for future education, or even pursue the ND route you are talking about. The goal should be economic empowerment, not satisfying a need for self-esteem. For their parents, they probably will not be able to sustain their full-time education at that level.

When you move higher up the Maslow pyramid you can start attending to those needs, e.g. the examples of cleaners and office assistants I gave earlier. They satisfied their first basic need for survival by getting employed and earning a living. They then started the pursuit of self-improvement by going back to school. That makes more sense.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 8:59am On May 10, 2013
maclatunji:

Well, for many it is. At least, they can end-up in the civil service after a few years. They may not excel there too but it means that they have a guaranteed monthly income and leave their lives. It is killing the country but it is for most individuals a means to an end.

Wait a minute. There is guaranteed employment in the civil service in Nigeria?
Same civil service that is retrenching by the thousands?
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by maclatunji: 10:25am On May 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Wait a minute. There is guaranteed employment in the civil service in Nigeria?
Same civil service that is retrenching by the thousands?

Don't believe everything you read in the papers.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by onegig(m): 10:39am On May 10, 2013
maclatunji:

Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Ok...i need a job in the civil service mac. grin grin

Like the proverbial saying It's easier to pass a camel's head through the eyes of a needle than to secure a job in the civil service. Why do you see most youth opting for bank jobs and other enslaving jobs if positions in the civil service where job security is a bit guaranteed are available like you said.
Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by Nobody: 11:04am On May 10, 2013
Hey, a university degree in a "professional course" is still the easiest way to evade abject poverty in this country, of course there will be exceptions. I think borrowing by a parent can be justified if her child academics is promising, some courses require full attention and would be affected if mixed with work.

For those who are not so tuned, getting a job would be fine, probably later go for further studies.

1 Like

Re: Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why? by AjanleKoko: 11:10am On May 10, 2013
phoinix: Hey, a university degree in "professional couses" is still the easiest way to evade abject poverty in this country, ofcourse there will be exceptions.

It's almost pointless to dispute the bolded. But just how many 'professional' courses are available for study in the university, for study?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Surehome Marriage Seminar: Parenting Styles That Work / Is 6 Weeks Too Much For A Husband To Wait For Wife To Recover After Childbirth? / Pls My Brother In Law Is Hypnotized, How Do I Handle The Scammer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.