Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland - Nairaland / General (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland (21972 Views)

Concerning Our Catastrophic Loss Of Your Valuable Data / Nairalands New Rules And Regulations, Your Take? / Golden Rules Of Life To Be Considered In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Go Down)

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by greall1: 8:52am On May 09, 2013
IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFY WITH THE RULE

NAIRALAND IS MARKET

Lagos Market does not notice that one trader refused to show up

or do dis way

3 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Yeanks: 8:53am On May 09, 2013
Rule 17 makes no sense, wat were u thinking? Is Islam the only religion in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 8:53am On May 09, 2013
king arizona: I am new on nairaland, how do I comment
lol
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 8:54am On May 09, 2013
I have a serious question....do the moderators get paid by Seun? becuase its like they have an ulterior motive and want to bring the site down by giving him...the retarded advice to keep the rule 17....these moderators know what they are doing....i believe they have a plan....
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 8:54am On May 09, 2013
raqueal:

Seun, who is kidding who? Don't insult our intelligence. The freedom of speech you are trying so hard to preserve has already been violated by you.

Qre there terrorists on nairaland?Are you or any of your moderators under terrorist attack by these people you seek to protect? Has your family members been taken as hostages in case you don't give in to their demands? Is nairaland under threat? Is there a database in your custody that contains sensitive information about nairaland members which could further reveal our identities? Are these terrorists privy to that knowledge and willing to attack and wipe us all out?

Your post reek of fear. Make us understand the exact nature of the threat we face if you accord Christianity the same benefit you accord islam. Thanks

Mactulanji is the person behind all these nonsense, he is the spokesman of boko haram on nairaland

6 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:54am On May 09, 2013
thelonestranger: This is cra.p
Is there anyone interested in becoming moderator of a new forum like Nairaland ? Drop me an email at kekelemu@gmail.com

Lol...think sey na beans? Better don't waste your time and money. Photocopy koo easy
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by thehomer: 8:55am On May 09, 2013
vanitty: Rule 17 should extend to other religion, not only is the rule very patronising to the 'real' Muslims but there is obvious partiality. I for one don't even bother going to the religion section anymore and it was a favourite of mine when you actually pick a thing or two from. Nowadays a very good topic that you can LEARN from becomes a joke after a few minutes all thanks to some atheists and other ignoramus
The other option is create another board for BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS, then another for Catholics, then another, then another etc
As the leader/owner, you must be seen as FAIR.

Wrong. That rule 17 should be struck down and not extended. People should be free to point out the farcical nature of religious ideas.

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by OCTAVO: 8:55am On May 09, 2013
Seun, edit rule No 17 or else NL will disintegrate sooner than you can ever imagine.
You are calling for ultimate fall of NL o.
The GOD of the Christians will fight you for your gross injustice and tyranny. Be warned!
My 2 cents.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by slimyem: 8:55am On May 09, 2013
*yawns*
Rules are meant to be broken anyways. No be today e start..nor be today e go end.
My only problem with the rules is the fact that its all up in our face each time we are to comment. Seun remove them and take them back to where they used to be.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by funkymedina: 8:56am On May 09, 2013
If your a christian or of any other religion THAT sEUN THINKS ITS OK TO INSULT and you give Seun money to advertise here your a fool .. This insult should not be tolorated by anyone .
Do NOT ADVERTISE HERE UNTILL RULE 17 IS REMOVED OR MODIFIED
[size=20pt][/size]

2 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Seun(m): 8:56am On May 09, 2013
Many Muslims don't like rule 17.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Donmichaelz(m): 8:56am On May 09, 2013
Dear seun,

Seun,or what so ever your names maybe,are u highs?did u smokes Tobacco,marijuanas,tombolo,alomo and etc?i am a christians,i laughs,plays and chating silly,but dat 1 nö mean say i nö respect ma faith...if anybody i repeat äny bodys insult CHRIST,CHRISTIANS..... smiley smiley am a man of little word seùn

yours CRITISISM
former nairalander.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by abdulkayus(m): 8:56am On May 09, 2013
NO 17 rule was created cos of d unprecendented attack on Muslims, Islam, Allah and d holy prophet. Some non muslims are very quick to attack muslims at any instance which is painful to d muslim cos dey love their religion fervently. Hardly, u will c any muslim abusin Jesus Christ. Its only atheist dat do dat. Some muslims has try to xplain wat is Islam is all abt bt d ignorant. Intolerant and bigot peeps wil never want to hear dat, dey feel funky wen muslims are abuse.
For me, i think d solution is of two way:
1. No 17 rules shld be change to accomodate d both religions or
2. Both religion forum shld be scrap and any religion thread shld nt be post again.

Bt i thought d xtains where sayin dat dey dont mind wen some1 abuse xtianity and Jesus Christ, y are dey hyperventilatin now. I think u shld even face d atheists cos dey are d one dat always make mockery of Jesus christ and xtainity.

Ma Salam

2 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by naijaswag1: 8:57am On May 09, 2013
Everyone makes rules, the other side of the coin is obeying the rules. You got to protect you business and investment. Strategic planning and reasoning entails mitigating and controlling human excesses and most times human stupidity (halmark of average Nigerians) that these rules are meant to curtail. However, I beg to diverge on some of these commandments

Don't attempt to post censored words by misspelling them.

Firstly, you have got to get a good and wider reaching algorithm to stop such acts. As a programmer and algorist, I guess you might not have a handy solution at this moment.

Cooperate with the moderators, super-moderators, and administrator. Treat them with respect

Respect is reciprocal, these moderator folks sulks most of the time. If they want respect, they have to earn it.

Please post in proper English and spell your words correctly.

I get infuriated when I see Nigerians laying emphasis on the use of so called proper 'english' in this country. In as much as we want to communicate in british tongue, english (am purposely spelling it with small letter) is not our mother tongue and as such, let's become more nationalist than always hinging on the use of english. If someone makes a post in their local dialect, a translation in English should occur automatically. If no translation system exist, pioneer it. This is the No 1 forum for Nigerians and it should be an avenue for every Nigerian, illiterate and literate, traders and working class to express their opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 8:58am On May 09, 2013
What's the Christian name for fatwa? Ooops my bad, Christians don't do such and are the real peaceful people..maybe that's your weakness?

You shouldn't give those terrorists Muslim a inch, sooner or later they will take a yard.and before we know , sharia law will also b adopted.

Kindly review your position and Change that stinking rule(17)

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Nobody: 8:58am On May 09, 2013
Seun: Many Muslims don't like rule 17.

Many Muslims don't like it
Many Christians don't like it

So what is it still doing up there undecided

5 Likes

Why cant i deactivate my account? No deactivating link sad

4 Likes

all hail Ayatolla Seun Osewa!

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by IYANGBALI: 8:58am On May 09, 2013
Debroslink: 17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to Islam, especially in the muslim section.

How about effecting this rule on all religions especially Christianity? I'm so disappointed in you Seun
me too,but I don't blame him the guy na babalawo
ABEG I HAVE BEEN BANNED BY YOUR SPAMBOT FROM THE RELIGION SECTION SINCE YESTERDAY, CAN YOU UNBAN ME. PRECIATE YALL, AND I PERSONALLY HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH CHRISTIANS GETTING BASHED. IT IS EXCITING. ALSO SHOWS CHRISTIANS HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. HOWEVER I AM ADDICTED TO TYPING IN CAPS. SCRAP RULE 11 angry

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Abrakhan: 8:59am On May 09, 2013
Seun: My Fellow Nairaland Members,

Your mixed reactions to the "new" rules have not gone unnoticed. While most people actually liked them, many people had one complaint or the other. To address your concerns, I have modified rules 1,4, 13, 15, and 21. I believe you will be pleased with the changes: https://www.nairaland.com/1026/nairaland-forum-rules-regulations

These rules are not as new as many people think. They are essentially the rules we have been enforcing all along, but they have been expressed in a more compact form to encourage you to actually read them. I created the 1st draft on the 7th of April and my fellow moderators gave me a lot of feedback which I incorporated into the rules before publishing them yesterday.

Rule 17 is the most controversial rule because it sounds unfair. My fellow moderators have debated this rule at length and it could not be changed. We cannot extend the prohibition against offence to other religions because that limits your freedom of speech, and we cannot remove that rule without jeopardizing security and the safety of lives. Sorry about this.

Best regards,
Seun Osewa.
Seun this is very good but if you can extend the restrictions to other religions will be better because the so called freedom of speech does not means to talk any how you like, even in developed countries that we are 'imitating' let take for example there are terms and conditions to be applied on every 'thing' we do even if its 'party' or 'game'.

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by naptu2: 8:59am On May 09, 2013
How it all started.

[size=14pt]re – why Seun may forbid the discussion of islam on Nairaland[/size]

The good and bad thing about the internet is that a user can just be anybody, anytime and anywhere. This ‘user’ can decide to be a ‘he’, ‘she’ or whatever, since no one sees the typist behind the computer screen. The internet is definitely the definition of the freedom of speech.

As the premier, prime-time, first and foremost online meeting place for Nigerians all around the world, ‘Nairaland‘ is not a stranger to the average internet user – especially in Nigeria. Discussions on various issues all litter the place and its really a Nairaland. I myself just manage to keep up, catch up and read through various discussions etc., and at the end of it all, i’m still far away from the latest gists while I burst into mode: laugh, at least to make my day.

The latest discussion,  one that I read and which bugged my head is from Mr. Nairaland himself, titled: Why I may forbid the discussion of Islam on Nairaland. The question soon crossed my mind whether our brother Seun would be needing a body guard. I believe it hasn’t come to this yet, but maybe………

Looks as if he received some emails that stung and so he had to speak out, at least for his own safety and for the information of all:

[b]On one hand, we have the popular and cantankerous Christians that take delight in speaking against Islam and will continue to do so even though I keep banning them. On the other hand, we have muslims who believe I am personally culpable even though I did not make those posts because I am the only person whose name is associated with this website.

I am not willing to bear the risk of "fatwa", so by the end of this week it will be an offense to talk about Islam on Nairaland. I do not have the time to go through your posts one by one. Even if I had the time, how would I know what is offensive and what is not offensive to these people? I’m not a Muslim (neither am I a Christian) so I cannot judge what is offensive (or not).

That is why it will soon be a terminal offense to talk about Islam on Nairaland. Thanks for understanding.

Quote from: Usman Muhammad
A advice for you
I really appreciate your dedication and skills in designing this website. I write not to praise your exceptional skills but to advice you on just one thing that will inevitable come to you. By birth a Muslim is emotionally reactive to his religion, Nigeria Muslim on the other hand are slightly explosive to any thing they consider blasphemy to Islam and our noble Prophet.

Seun, I respectably urge you to have firm control of your web site. The forum under religion is embodied with lots of abusive, offensive and incisive phrase against Islam. Phrase that is capable of igniting a serious tension and a threat to your own life. I am a Muslim, a moderate Muslim you may say, but I can tell the reaction and counter reaction of an extremist who can easily be offended by contents of your web site. The authors may not be known, but you as the founder, would be easily branded as an abettor and a party to the offence. What I am saying in effect is that, you should edit, delete and choose topics posted on the forum you consider offensive. Imagine phrase calling Prophet Muhammad “evil” “stupid”. No! No!! No!!! Osewa, you should act quickly, or else one day, a fatwa would be issued for you, and then you will be a celebrity under serious police protection. Then you can as well spend your [salary] undercover. These guys that post this thing are trying to destroy what you have suffered to build.

Quote from: Seun Osewa
Hello Muhammad,

Why not mention the specific threads you want me to remove?  How am I to know which threads you find offensive if you do not name them one by one so I can remove them?

Regards,
Seun Osewa.
[/b]

Its not a new story that Nigerians are willing to go any length when it comes to religion. From North to South, the testimonies abound.

I remember, before, I enjoyed reading through any religious headed post I saw, but for some time now, I can say I have abstained. I have abstained because some people just say anything under the sun to back up their own idea/s(right or wrong) to crucify whoever/whatever they wish to speak against. I’m like, God must be a very patient God. If left to these trash-talkers alone, a few slaps on their faces would definitely allow us to know who has said what on Nairaland. abi?

I believe that everybody has a right to his own opinion, and isn’t it right enough that people learn to respect the opinion of others while they stick to their own? Its not by force to accept your opinion, but why condemn me – why condemn my person?

The bashing, insults etc., kinda spoil the whole religious soup on Nairaland, and its a pity -  if these talkers are the youth on which the reins of Nigeria’s future hangs. Some of them might end up becoming religious ministers themselves, yet they can’t see where the lines of right and wrong are crossed – especially in matters of words and thought.

There is a difference between trying to convince and trying to condemn. Majority of Nairaland talkers, especially on religious issues(between Christianity and the Muslim faith) is condemnation back and forth. This same picture cuts across to the political circle. If we can’t agree up to a point on the religious bend, how much more politics.

Nairaland is offered free of charge. Thank you Seun. But why should you allow someone login free of charge and put you into an official problem, considering that in Nigeria, anything can happen.

Yes, a word is enough for the wise, and Mr. Nairaland has said his piece. I would be happier if not only the discussion of Islam is forbidden, the discussion of Christianity should be forbidden to. At least, lets be on playing-level and see what else we can talk about.

Maybe we would be able to see more common things amongst us, rather than a lotta religious differences.

p.s: I’m a Christian, if you care to know

http://naijatechtalk./2008/02/06/re-why-seun-may-forbid-the-discussion-of-islam-on-nairaland/

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Psylas(m): 8:59am On May 09, 2013
MManuel:
Stop being such an ass, are there only 2 religions?
ok, y only islamz?
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by elampiro(m): 9:00am On May 09, 2013
Naiaraland is over censored. I wrote in football section that 'Welbeck is poor in his final ball.s (passes)' behold it was censored to '... 'Poor in final sphere'. It didn't just make sense at all.

Seun look at this.
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by OCTAVO: 9:01am On May 09, 2013
Seun, you have successfully made NL an e-war zone. Your best is yet to come!
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Lokoyen(m): 9:01am On May 09, 2013
much love i have for Seun and Nairaland but this is disappointing.Seun i give you 24 hours to change this rule OR stand CURSED CURSED CURSED..Nairaland will be a thing of the past you can dare me.once this time elapse watch the gradual colapse of this great Forum..
Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by Yeanks: 9:01am On May 09, 2013
I actually find rule 19 funny and unnecessary. Are you going to sue whoever does that? and rule 17 shows ЂO̶̲̥̅̶̷̩̥̊͡ biased you all are, Is Islam the only religion in Nigeria. The rule is actually very annoying..Na wah for you o

1 Like

Re: Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland by IYANGBALI: 9:02am On May 09, 2013
naija_swag: Everyone makes rules, the other side of the coin is obeying the rules. You got to protect you business and investment. Strategic planning and reasoning entails mitigating and controlling human excesses and most times human stupidity (halmark of average Nigerians) that these rules are meant to curtail. However, I beg to diverge on some of these commandments

[size=25[b][/b]pt]15. Don't attempt to post censored words by misspelling them.[/size]

Firstly, you have got to get a good and wider reaching algorithm to stop such acts. As a programmer and algorist, I guess you might not have a handy solution at this moment.

[size=25[b][/b]pt]20. Cooperate with the moderators, super-moderators, and administrator. Treat them with respect. [/size]

Respect is reciprocal, these moderator folks sulks most of the time. If they want respect, they have to earn it.

[size=25[b][/b]pt]21. Please post in proper English and spell your words correctly.[/size]

I get infuriated when I see Nigerians laying emphasis on the use of so called proper 'english' in this country. In as much as we want to communicate in british tongue, english (am purposely spelling it with small letter) is not our mother tongue and as such, let's become more nationalist than always hinging on the use of english. If someone makes a post in their local dialect, a translation in English should occur automatically. If no translation system exist, pioneer it. This is the No 1 forum for Nigerians and it should be an avenue for every Nigerian, illiterate and literate, traders and working class to express their opinion.
seun this guy should be your no 1 moderator

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19)

How Can I Stop Being Soft Hearted As A Guy / Brain Teaser: Guess The Country Names From The Pictures Below / Chad Troops In Nigerian Town For Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.