Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

10 Myths About Introverts - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Myths About Introverts (28399 Views)

Problems Only Introverts Will Understand / Top 10 Myths About Africa / Top Ten Myths About Introverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 11:33am On May 18, 2013
You try
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Htown64(m): 11:34am On May 18, 2013
maclatunji: Top ten myths about introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney.

http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts?1d4ef638/
PROUDLY ONE!!!!!! grin
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by AtheistD(m): 11:34am On May 18, 2013
inurmind: Op I think we will have to accept something, that sometimes some, not all, but some of those myths are true. It's just that nobody is an absolute. You can't always like to be quiet, or to stay indoors, or to be alone, the same way an extrovert cannot always like partying, or being with people, or talking, he also wants his alone time. No one is an absolute, we are a mixture of temperaments. Sometimes we feel this way, other times we feel that way. In fact I remember when someone described me, he said ''he could be very friendly when he wants to, but when he wants to be alone, he's alone''. Although some people are more extreme than others, they could want more alone time, but generally nobody is an absolute, just in different shades of grey.smiley

By the way, although I am an introvert, I am a thrill seeker, love extreme sports, only the ones connected to natural sites though. There's also Dean Potter, he's an introvert but see what he does:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/daredevils/episode-guide/series-1/episode-2

He also climbs cliffs without any safety equipment. That's who I call the baddest boy mehn! cool
So you see, some introverts could actually be adrenaline junkies, they just do their thing in mother nature's blossom.
Apart from this misconception, nice post. smiley

Some people are more extreme than others and some are borderline.

Personality testing (like myers-briggs etc) will determine ones personality and fully explain aspects to a persons character. A lot of employers carry out these tye of tests prior to employment.

maclatunji:

Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

Yes they can change. People develop and change based on their surroundingss etc, it is most likely mild and rare but it can happen. I changed cheesy.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by adahib: 11:34am On May 18, 2013
As hard as I've been trying to make people understand that I'm no introvert,this write-up clearly describes me.very few friends,indoors most of the time,hate wasting my time talking or arguing,totally enjoy my time alone,they say I'm rude and all
@OP,you are spot-on.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by indoorlove(m): 11:37am On May 18, 2013
Is being a while i read a personality( temperament) write up that portrayed me in totality. Kudos!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by BarryX(m): 11:37am On May 18, 2013
#Team Extrovert repping, You guys are some weird breeds of people that's why the Myths still hold sway no matter how hard you try and debunk them.
#FACT
Introvert dudes are always late starters as it relates to babes-chasing skills, in other words, poor 'inter-babe' communication skills which is not good for the relationship market on the long run
FACT
Every Mammal (Homo Sapiens inclusive ) have some "so-called Introverted traits" in them. Please don't make it seem as if you guys are some special breeds of the Homo sapien specie. *smiles*

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Sijo01(f): 11:39am On May 18, 2013
So on point.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by maclatunji: 11:41am On May 18, 2013
SLIDE waxie: it's amazin that whenever u are not trying to defend some kind of a primitive religion, we are alwys on d same page!

Then, you should check again because I am a product of my religion not an aberration.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by kalufelix(m): 11:42am On May 18, 2013
DJDOLA: Nawa ooo...so everbody in nairaland don turn 2 introvert just now
wha kinda person do yhu expect sm1 who takes solace in NLandin 247 and other online activities to be...wen there is an offline world to enjoy
I think we have a lot of them here
@op so on point lyk a d|.c.k head...

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 11:45am On May 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
Church means Gospel means Truth

*shocked*....are you a Christian at all? Church is where Christians worship in.

who taught you the 'quoted' ?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Raypawer(m): 11:47am On May 18, 2013
koonbey: this post is a dumb,a collection of personal sentiments and assertions which the OP is trying to pass off as Fact

story! Oya write your own mak we see na?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Iceslizer(f): 11:49am On May 18, 2013
Perfectly describes me..
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by ARareGem(f): 11:49am On May 18, 2013
kalufelix: wha kinda person do yhu expect sm1 who takes solace in NLandin 247 and other online activities to be...wen there is an offline world to enjoy
I think we have a lot of them here
@op so on point lyk a d|.c.k head...

Why are you hating? Jealous?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by kpozite(m): 11:50am On May 18, 2013
koonbey: this post is a dumb,a collection of personal sentiments and assertions which the OP is trying to pass off as Fact
What you don't know about why not learn? Or keep quite instead of exposing your ignorance? Just so u know we don't enjoy knowledge of your ignorance.
Op is so on point on points 1 to 10 I wish people around me knew these points about me.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by thelonestranger: 11:50am On May 18, 2013
maclatunji: Top ten myths about introverts

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney.

http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts?1d4ef638/

Absolutely correct! The worst introverts are Aquarians ... especially me. smiley
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by maclatunji: 11:51am On May 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:

You should be the one to tell us the characteristics of an intorvert !

The writer nailed the topic. I am an ultra-introvert.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by kaboninc(m): 11:54am On May 18, 2013
Permit me to add a few...

Myth #11. Introverts are very humorous! *pls don't ask why....make your research'. They can be as quiet as the word 'quiet' and only come alive when spooked. Try spook an introvert and experience the consequences!

Myth #12. Introverts do not just comment on a thread in 'nairaland' for the sake of 'commenting'.

Myth #13. Introverts know within themselves who they really are and do not 'brag'.

Mind you am not saying I am....am just speaking out of experience.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by CooldudeY2J: 11:56am On May 18, 2013
I'm Cooldude cos am an introvert and i can say d OP is on point although am sometimes shy.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Ololade1999: 11:57am On May 18, 2013
We don't get angry easily but we provoked it is deadly.we can never be predicted that y people take us for granted

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by kalufelix(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2013
Htown64: PROUDLY ONE!!!!!! grin
look at the psychos we talkin abt...u had to quote the whole thread to write this...
Follow the norms for once!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by azeeza(f): 11:58am On May 18, 2013
Capricorn too
Nuzo':
I guess most Libra of the zodiac signs are introverts.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by AbuMikey(m): 12:01pm On May 18, 2013
So true
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by spikesC(m): 12:01pm On May 18, 2013
BarryX: #Team Extrovert repping, You guys are some weird breeds of people that's why the Myths still hold sway no matter how hard you try and debunk them.
#FACT
Introvert dudes are always late starters as it relates to babes-chasing skills, in other words, poor 'inter-babe' communication skills which is not good for the relationship market on the long run
FACT
Every Mammal (Homo Sapiens inclusive ) have some "so-called Introverted traits" in them. Please don't make it seem as if you guys are some special breeds of the Homo sapien specie. *smiles*

Are u jealous tongue

Most introverts are not smooth talkers but they have their way around ladies. We're also fun when need be. And yes, we're some weird special breeds of the homo sapien specie wink

Now, i am inbetween but still proud to be an introvert. I am too dynamic of a temperament grin

#teamIntrovert
#teamPisces
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 18, 2013
are there actually any ambiverts/extroverts on this thread like me? since everyone is trying to claim introversion.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by ARareGem(f): 12:04pm On May 18, 2013
Ololade 1999: We don't get angry easily but we provoked it is deadly.we can never be predicted that y people take us for granted

Ehm, I remember I used to have a temper. Got easily irritated. embarassed But I don change sha. grin
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Ushafaiza(m): 12:04pm On May 18, 2013
This are incontrovertible facts about introverts, because i am one, lot of people misunderstand us, i lost election recently due to this factors, people said am arrogant, dont mix with ppl and hw can they trust me to carry everybody along if am elected their representative, the few that know very well try all they could to counter dis propaganda, but it was too late, now some ppl are regretting because d guy dat was elected worse.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by siddiq202(m): 12:05pm On May 18, 2013
Na wa o

See as everybody is claiming Introvert.

OP good job, you just describe me too grin grin tongue
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by BarryX(m): 12:10pm On May 18, 2013
thelonestranger:

Absolutely correct! The worst introverts are Aquarians ... especially me. smiley
I said it ! Introverts have the highest number of Long post "quoters" on Nairaland, The other time, someone said Libra, another Virgo now "aquarium". Astrology don confuse some people life ni *smiles*
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 18, 2013
Ohibenemma: One truth about introverts, however, is that they don't forgive easily. This, I think, is due to their overt faithfulness, which when betrayed can be seriously injured. I'm seriously working and re-working on myself daily...cos I won't wanna miss the mark because of a DEEP MIND.
what are you saying? Introverts have different temperaments. You can't tie a particular behavior to introverts because an introvert or an extrovert is not defined by his actions/behavior but his visible interaction with people. Get it straight, there is a big difference between personality (introversion & extroversion) and temperament (behavioral and mental traits)

Extroverts can be equally unforgiving..

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:13pm On May 18, 2013
Wow! The author described me to a T! #proudintroverthere!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by dkc(m): 12:14pm On May 18, 2013
Waoh! these describes me except some parts of #6. I don't feel lonely, I have my way of sharing my ideas/thoughts. Besides, my gadgets and infobahn can make my day wink
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by kalufelix(m): 12:15pm On May 18, 2013
ARareGem:

Why are you hating? Jealous?
No am not..
Ah cant jealous wht ah have. Just bored agreein wit the op like every other person.
Wanted to portray in a different dimension...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Banana Experiment / Things You Must Never Do In Public / Ever Help Someone And You Landed Into Trouble?? ... Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.