Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency (20327 Views)

‘we’ll Occupy Kogi If Faleke Is Not Declared Governor-elect By Jan 10’ / I Will Hand Over If I Lose, Says President Jonathan / Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by ayomidefalaye(m): 2:38pm On May 17, 2013
Let national assembly rubbish themselves
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Zet72(m): 2:40pm On May 17, 2013
tongue Let all ACN butt likers go & hugg transformer who cares, state of emergency has been declared & no going back. eko ile,payles, neoxavi u can kill ur self nobody cares

1 Like

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by powerblaze(m): 2:40pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile:

The fact that you don't like what I posted doesn't mean it wasn't constructive.

I'm a Nigerian and I'll voice my views and opinion the way I want, not according to you or to make you feel good about your worthless and incompetent leaders.

It is also not my job to offer constructive advise or any advise to your president, the president hired a lot of advisers and ministers to do that and you are paying them to do that job, not me. Unfortunately, they are all clueless and incompetent just like your president...

If e dey pain you, go spread mattress for Baga.

Sometimes, even the President owes you no explanations. Kill yourself!

1 Like

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by biafranqueen: 2:42pm On May 17, 2013
I know for a fact that aids to leaders read Nairaland you would be surprised
fallingsky:

You think the so called leaders are on Nairaland?? Mumu
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by shizzle11(m): 2:43pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile: Talk about clueless and incompetent president, incompetent and unqualified advisers with lame duck and worthless assembly and senate.

Who is even qualified enough to interpret the Nigerian constitution, uphold and defend the same constitution? Not the Nigerian presidency, not the Nigerian justice minister or presidential adviser, not the Nigerian congress, not the toothless Nigerian Bar Association and definitely not the Nigerian military. The Nigerian military is out there conducting a lawless and unconstitutional military operation while the clueless and unpatriotic politicians fiddles around aimlessly.

What a damn shame...

Rantings of a disgruntled, frustrated dim-wit.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Saliman22(m): 2:45pm On May 17, 2013
Gej didn't violent any constitution ......He is the commander inchief of the arm forces.... screw up mehn
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by chronique(m): 2:45pm On May 17, 2013
So after all he said,He ended with this:

"Despite the seeming violations, Mr. Ndoma-Egba insisted the president did nothing wrong and was acting in line with the laws.

“There is nowhere in the constitution where the president is required to publish the gazette within a specific time,” he said, before asserting that “For now, no provision of the constitution has been breached and there is no constitutional crisis.” "

Am I the one who doesn't understand english or what? The whole epistle is meant to convey the message that "Jonathan hasn't followed due process",yet He says the president did nothing wrong and is acting in line with the constitution which technically means the president is right as there's no sitting on the fence when it comes to interpreting the constitution;so why bring up the matter in the first place? What type of lunatics do we have at the senate?
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by biafranqueen: 2:46pm On May 17, 2013
If you mean ethnicity as in different people speaking different languages and following different culture America has way more tribes then Nigeria..no disrespect
Tstark:

Knucklehead! Nigeria is more complex than america, does America have different tribes? Stop comparing Nigeria to the US!
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by EkoIle1: 2:46pm On May 17, 2013
tallceejay:

You have every right to air your views, And u just did, great! See where we are with that! U r a Nigerian ? And now "my leaders" ?
because the results aren't good ? Where's your patriotism as a Nigerian ? Keep airing those views, "Nigerian"

Patriotism means respecting and upholding your laws and constitution and they all swore to do just that, so far regarding the state of emergency, it is still a non constitutional presdiential order because the Nigerian congress is still in the dark. There is no congrssional resolution or votes authorizing military activation and engagement.

You have no business talking about patriotism because it's very obvious you know nothing about patriotism...
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by EkoIle1: 2:49pm On May 17, 2013
chronique: So after all he said,He ended with this:

"Despite the seeming violations, Mr. Ndoma-Egba insisted the president did nothing wrong and was acting in line with the laws.

“There is nowhere in the constitution where the president is required to publish the gazette within a specific time,” he said, before asserting that “For now, no provision of the constitution has been breached and there is no constitutional crisis.” "

Am I the one who doesn't understand english or what? The whole epistle is meant to convey the message that "Jonathan hasn't followed due process",yet He says the president did nothing wrong and is acting in line with the constitution which technically means the president is right as there's no sitting on the fence when it comes to interpreting the constitution;so why bring up the matter in the first place? What type of lunatics do we have at the senate?

The ignorant nonsense by the people you are quoting is the reason why Nigeria is a lousy mess. It clearly shows that they don't know their job discription..
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by shizzle11(m): 2:50pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile:

I'm really not sure what your problem, but you definitely sound like a Jonathan dullard because nothing was said about corruption, but guilty conscience took over your cassava bread brain.

This is a public forum you lazy and incompetent thinker and this is not where your clueless president gets advise and pointers from, he gets it from the incompetent people he hired as ministers and advisers that you are paying tons of taxpayers money to advise your clueless president.

I know many of you either are too dull to understand basic social studies or they just don't teach it anymore in your village elementary schools, but you people really need to shut sometimes and quit polluting the internet with your ignorance because it's really embarrassing...

Blah blah bla bla....keep ranting like a rabid dogg that you are. Typing plenty words does not make you smart or intelligent, neither does your name calling, you're just a dim witted bone head

2 Likes

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by beordune(m): 2:51pm On May 17, 2013
Dospix: you are more clueless than him because you comment isn't making sense.

I'm sure you're one of those who advise the President wrongly....Contribute sensibly,plz.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by biafranqueen: 2:54pm On May 17, 2013
The President may declare a state of emergency only when "the life of the nation is threatened by war, invasion, general insurrection, disorder, natural disaster or other public emergency" and if the ordinary laws and government powers are not sufficient to restore peace and order that is the law..So my friend in your opinion what is happening in the North is none of what I mentioned
Eko Ile:

Patriotism means respecting and upholding your laws and constitution and they all swore to do just that, so far regarding the state of emergency, it is still a non constitutional presdiential order because the Nigerian congress is still in the dark. There is no congrssional resolution or votes authorizing military activation and engagement.

You have no business talking about patriotism because it's very obvious you know nothing about patriotism...
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by eagleeye2: 3:01pm On May 17, 2013
Saliman22: Gej didn't violent {VIOLATE}any constitution ......He is the commander inchief of the arm forces.... screw up mehn
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by biafranqueen: 3:03pm On May 17, 2013
In seeking to impose the measure across a whole state, Jonathan must first secure the approval of Nigerian legislators, which he pledged to do.

When Obasanjo invoked the measure twice in 2004 and 2006, he removed democratically elected governors and installed appointed administrators to manage the states, both former military officers.

Jonathan vowed that he would not employ that measure.

"The governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities," he said.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Ebenezerk2: 3:14pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile: Lawless Nation with lawless and incompetent leadership...

smh...
can't you read before you say anything, there is no deadline to the publication of gazette, no law is violated
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by NOLONGTIN1(m): 3:23pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile: Confusion As Nigerian Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emerge

The senate’s position is founded on Section 305 of the constitution, which states that “Subject to the provisions of this constitution, the president may by instrument published in the official gazette of the government of the federation issue a proclamation of a state of emergency in the federation or any part thereof.”

The succeeding sub section requires that “copies” of the published gazette be “immediately” sent to the senate and the House for consideration and possible approval. Such approval is expected in two days if the lawmakers are in session, or 10 days, if they are on break

OK!! i'm no lawyer, but if section 305 of the constitution states the above, then the president is not mandated to publish any thing in the official gazette regarding state of emergency - because of the use of the word 'May'.
In my own layman understanding the president 'may' or 'may not' publish shit in the official gazette.

Any Lawyer in the House to educate me?
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Desinuola: 3:24pm On May 17, 2013
dc555: The President is the Chief Security Officer of the Nation and has the Executive power to make Emergency decisions. So if Cameroun invades Nigeria, the President should consult the National Assembly before taking any decision?

The whole reason why it is a democratic state as opposed to an autocratic one is that it is entrenched in the foundations of separation of powers and the rule of law. Where there is no organ of government to supervise the powers of the executive, then it stops being a democratic one. Jonathan, though the head of he executive does not have absolute power to do as he wishes. His powers can always be curtailed by the NASS and the judiciary. It is like saying that the board of directors do not have the power to dismiss a CEO. The power ultimately rests with NASS, as they make the law! If the law is not being followed, the judiciary has the power to find the executive's decision unlawful and if the executive does not abide by the court's ruling, it can be found in contempt of court! Jonathan, is not the alfa and omega and I think he always forgets that. Perhaps because he cannot even read the constitution or someone hasn't explained the limitations to his powers to him.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by FLYFIRE(m): 3:40pm On May 17, 2013
payless:

Glad you confessed Jonathan is a corrupt man. How did you know my internet service is free? I hate to break it to you that there is no part of me that is corrupt. I go to work and get paid. I have small import and export thing I do which I am gladly satisfied with. I am not corrupt, bro.

@Payless, is this your new job after your auto-fail-business? sad sad sad
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by sofat(m): 3:54pm On May 17, 2013
Democracy is government built upon the principle of rule of law. No matter the situation of the country the rule of law must be obeyed. The president must follow due process in the declaration of state of emmergency in any part or the whole country. If the rule of law is not followed by the president in his decisions then a military system of govt will be an alternative.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by dbride: 4:03pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile:

The fact that you don't like what I posted doesn't mean it wasn't constructive.

I'm a Nigerian and I'll voice my views and opinion the way I want, not according to you or to make you feel good.

It is also not my job to offer constructive advise or any advise to your president, the president hired a lot of advisers and ministers to do that and you are paying them to do that job, not me. Unfortunately, they are all clueless and incompetent just like your president...

You have the responsibility to post the whole truth not half truth like you just did just to give a dog a bad name. I repeat, opposition must be magnanimous not suicidal. Criticize when you need to and commend when necessary. It is suicidal to oppose both good and bad!
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by EkoIle1: 4:03pm On May 17, 2013
SECTION 305 of the 1999 Constitution provides for the imposition of a state of emergency in the country or any part of it. The section empowers the president to issue the declaration by way of official gazette.

It added, however, that a two-thirds majority of the National Assembly must ratify the executive proclamation within two days, if the legislators are in session, or 10 days, if they are not.

1. The constitution empowers the president to issue the declaration by way official gazette, but he did so without it. Strike number 1.

2. The constitution also stipulated that the NAS must ratify the proclamation within 2 days when in session and they are in session.

Have they recieved the official gazette? No

Have they ratified the proclamation? No

The NAS can not until the president issues the official gazette..

So what part of the constitution do they not understand?

This is what the senate is sayng and you need to stop listening to the president's yes men...
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by shizzle11(m): 4:05pm On May 17, 2013
And anyone who believes the legislators is a joker. Those guys are a bunch of hypocrites playing to the gallery. As for me, I cannot be fooled. If you think those LEGISLOOTERS have your interests at heart, then you need to have a re-think
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by EkoIle1: 4:06pm On May 17, 2013
dbride:

You have the responsibility to post the whole truth not half truth like you just did just to give a dog a bad name. I repeat, opposition must be magnanimous not suicidal. Criticize when you need to and commend when necessary. It is suicidal to oppose both good and bad!

Please keep quiet and go away..
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 17, 2013
....do we still have constitution in Nigeria?
#FederalLawMakersMyFoot
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by miqos02(m): 4:36pm On May 17, 2013
this legislooters sef, their own too much
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Solozzo(m): 4:43pm On May 17, 2013
What a blunder of the presidency. Especially following the Odi incident in the nigerdelta crisis in obasanjo's time it would be a good idea to follow due process here, in case things get out of hand in the operation later. NASS approval is not mandatory however. As it is the SOE in place now is legal, but approval from NASS strengthens its legality.

So what to do now? Send the published gazette to senate with apologies using NEPA failure as excuse, perhaps, OR forget the senate, bear the risks involved alone? GEJ advisers over to you.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Wabsz: 5:09pm On May 17, 2013
a1solution: As much as I'm yet to support the state of emergency declared because of porous security measures in other parts of the country which the Boko Haram boys may attack if the heat is too much on their end, informing the house before the declaration is not normal cos Boko haram suppoters in the house will vote against it and it will give boko haram clue on what is about to happen and strategies before the approval.
I totally agree wif u
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by olumidazz: 5:17pm On May 17, 2013
That's y I love the flexible and unwritten constitution. Senate will spend the remaining part of the year going back and forth debating the propriety of the move, lawyers also with their too know, they know so much and no one has proffered any meaningful solution to nigeria's numerous problems. The president has an intent and that is enough and therefore should suffice.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by EkoIle1: 5:20pm On May 17, 2013
Solozzo: What a blunder of the presidency. Especially following the Odi incident in the nigerdelta crisis in obasanjo's time it would be a good idea to follow due process here, in case things get out of hand in the operation later. NASS approval is not mandatory however. As it is the SOE in place now is legal, but approval from NASS strengthens its legality.

So what to do now? Send the published gazette to senate with apologies using NEPA failure as excuse, perhaps, OR forget the senate, bear the risks involved alone? GEJ advisers over to you.

The constitution also stipulated that the NAS ----MUST---ratify the proclamation within 2 days when in session and they are in session.

According to the constitution, NASS approval is needed and this is why the word ----"MUST"---was inserted into the constitution.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by KingIOb: 5:28pm On May 17, 2013
Eko Ile: Lawless Nation with lawless and incompetent leadership...

smh...
“For now, no provision of the constitution has been breached and there is no constitutional crisis.”
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by EkoIle1: 5:30pm On May 17, 2013
^^^^^^^^ That quote was uttered for ignorant people with no knowledge of the Nigerian constitution so stop quoting it unless maybe you are ignorant and a slow...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

TB Joshua: I Never Said Orji Uzor Kalu Would Be Nigeria’s Next President In 2023 / Dele Momodu To Wike: No General Fight On Too Many Fronts, Apply The Brakes / Buhari Presides Over Federal Executive Council Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.