Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency (20329 Views)

‘we’ll Occupy Kogi If Faleke Is Not Declared Governor-elect By Jan 10’ / I Will Hand Over If I Lose, Says President Jonathan / Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by clint77ng: 11:24pm On May 17, 2013
Haba. Why r some human beings difficult. The senate said there is no state of emergency yet cos he president has not transmitted to them a gazette that will aid in their debate and subsequent approval and that the presido has not breached any law cos there is no specific time for transmission of gazette. GEJ may chose to transmit by 2015. pls una go get high BP where this man dey oooo. Make una leave this man alone and go una normal business. Power is from God alone and for now, he gave it to an Ijaw Nigerian, GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by vanbonattel: 11:41pm On May 17, 2013
The senate just woke up from a deep slumber, goom morning honourable senators, its 4pm!
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by VolvoS60(m): 12:49am On May 18, 2013
We have to make up our minds. Laws exist for a reason. They govern how we relate with one another. A country without laws, or a country which chooses not to enforce its laws, is nothing but anarchy dressed up in princely robes.

This thread is a depressing one because it has shown several of us up as people who do not have standards or principles - people who change their positions like bulbs of mercury in a home thermometer.

I do not care much for the OP. I consider him/her to be an overly aggressive individual who habitually attacks anyone who criticizes the overrated, hypocritical LASG and the venal party which produced it. However, my personal opinions are nothing where weightier matters like the laws of the Republic are being discussed.

On this SOE matter, the OP is right. The president has NOT complied with the laws of the Republic concerning the proclamation of a state of emergency. Full stop. That is all there is to it. GEJ broke the law, simple.

Instead of defending the indefensible, we would be better served insisting that our representatives (in both the executive and the legislature) should repeal all Nigerian laws which we do not like, or which (in our view) do not pass the common sense test. Until we do this though, we must obey (to the last man) the laws as they currently stand.

We cannot have it both ways.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by VolvoS60(m): 1:00am On May 18, 2013
naptu2: It's not a big deal. The same thing happened when Obasanjo declared emergency rule in Plateau State. The National Assembly stated that the President does not have the constitutional powers to unilaterally declare a state of emergency. The National Assembly must vote to declare a state of emergency before it becomes legal.

However, the PDP controls both the executive and the legislature. The National Assembly will eventually vote in favour of emergency rule. They just want to be respected.

When Obasanjo subsequently declared emergency rule in Ekiti, he made it clear that it would not take effect until the National Assembly voted in favour of the measure.

^^^^

I beg to disagree sir. It IS a big deal. I am sure you know the dangers of a rubber-stamp legislature. Even more relevant is the question: what happens if the president's party does not have a majority in the upper and lower legislative houses? What happens when lawmakers do not simply 'want to be respected' and they oppose the proclamation of an SOE on principled grounds? If the president unilaterally declares a state of emergency (and does not transmit the gazette to lawmakers for approval as required by law) and the lawmakers refuse to accept this, what happens next? Is this not the beginning of a crisis? If you have determined lawmakers, could this not form a basis for impeachment?
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by slimxcoded: 1:08am On May 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

I'm really not sure what your problem, but you definitely sound like a Jonathan dullard because nothing was said about corruption, but guilty conscience took over your cassava bread brain.

This is a public forum you lazy and incompetent thinker and this is not where your clueless president gets advise and pointers from, he gets it from the incompetent people he hired as ministers and advisers that you are paying tons of taxpayers money to advise your clueless president.

I know many of you either are too dull to understand basic social studies or they just don't teach it anymore in your village elementary schools, but you people really need to shut sometimes and quit polluting the internet with your ignorance because it's really embarrassing...

Grow up bro.....stop acting like a kid

3 Likes

Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by VolvoS60(m): 1:08am On May 18, 2013
chronique: So after all he said,He ended with this:

"Despite the seeming violations, Mr. Ndoma-Egba insisted the president did nothing wrong and was acting in line with the laws.

“There is nowhere in the constitution where the president is required to publish the gazette within a specific time,” he said, before asserting that “For now, no provision of the constitution has been breached and there is no constitutional crisis.” "

Am I the one who doesn't understand english or what? The whole epistle is meant to convey the message that "Jonathan hasn't followed due process",yet He says the president did nothing wrong and is acting in line with the constitution which technically means the president is right as there's no sitting on the fence when it comes to interpreting the constitution;so why bring up the matter in the first place? What type of lunatics do we have at the senate?

^^^^
As the street slang goes: "your head dey there!"

Mr Ndoma-Egba should be ashamed of himself. I never yet could trust a man who could speak from both sides of his mouth at the same time.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by tallceejay(m): 12:43pm On May 18, 2013
slimxcoded:

Grow up bro.....stop acting like a kid

Yea, he's got so much clue!
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by ChikezieU(m): 2:29pm On May 18, 2013
payless:

If you agree with what is happening now, then Jonathan is your choice. If you want things to change, then whoever the opposition presents is who we have to go with in order to get PDP out of the way. If we don't give the opposition the chance to change things, how do we expect the country to change? So, we have to try something else to know if it is better than what you have. All eyes on the opposition to do well. Look at the performances of AC Governors in the states controlled by PDP since 1999. The AC governors have out-performed the PDP Governors with what they have done so far within three years.
seems like all you want is to hear PDP dislodged and dissolved, now you prefer Buhari over of GEJ, the main reason why Buhari was droped in the last presidential was it not because of his flaws during his time of rule? I dont think the problem we have in this country is PDP, PDP or opposition party they are the same. mind you ealier jonathan emphazied that BokoHaram is all around him and you expect his intensions to be open. Some of you criticized him for being mild, now he is using force. As for not imforming the senate about the "state of emergency", it should not be used as a tool against him cause doing that would have given bHaram time to adjust there movement then more states will be affected. As for any body opposing state of emergency then you are bokoharam. all he need to do now is to prepare the so called gazett and the senate must approve it or they want the police men to go on more sucide mission or carry the guns them selfs
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by BAMILASSA: 5:18pm On May 18, 2013
THE GOVERNMENT TACTICS AND STRATEGIES ARE ALREADY KNOWN;

1. CONVERTING THE CURRENT SECTARIAN UPROAR TO A FULL BLOWN CIVIL WAR, WITH THE WAR FRONT AT THE NORTH DOORS, KILLING BOTH OUR YOUTH AND COMMUNITY LEADERS E.G EMIRS, TOP POLITICIANS AND UNIFORM MEN OF NORTHERN ORIGIN, IN A BID TO TOTALLY WEAKEN THE REGION SO AS TO EITHER CONTINUE THEIR DEVILISH RULE AGENDA OR SIMPLY DIVIDE THE COUNTRY.

THIS IS A VERY GOOD STRATEGY INDEED,(courtesy Devil MENTOR) IT WORKS IN MANY INSTANCES E.G SYRIA. BUT ALAS, IT WOULD NEVER WORK IN NIGERIA.
B/COS;
THE BRAVE NORTHERN YOUTH IN THE MILITARY WOULD NEVER TOLERATE OR ALLOW THIS.
THE NORTH HAS GOOD FRIENDS( ALIAS) THAT WOULD STAND BY NORTH FOR SURE.
AS USUAL THE YORUBAS WOULD ISOLATE THEMSELVES, LEAVING, ND/IGBOS/MIDDLE BELTANS TO FACE NORTH IF THE PLAN BACKFIRES !

THE STRATEGY FURTHER ENTAILS WIDER S.O.E TO INFLICT MORE DAMAGES, MORE CASUALTIES , BLACKMAIL, ASSASSINATION AND MORE....

ALTHOUGH, THE TACTICS WAS ON FINAL STAGES, NIGERIA IS GODS OWN AS SAID BY MANY WOULD ONCE AGAIN SURVIVE THIS PLOT, THIS AGENDA IS BOUND TO FAIL, B/COS OF ILL EXECUTION OF THE DETAILS ENSHRINED.

LONG LIVE NORTH, LONG LIVE NIGERIA, LONG LIVE FREE AFRICA!
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by omogidi234(m): 7:02pm On May 18, 2013
Joyfullyme:
"may"or may not
"Possible" not a neccesity

In the rule of interpretation, (Law), most times "may" is interpreted "shall".
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by Mogidi: 11:12am On May 19, 2013
JTF will pursue Boko haram and its supporters on land, sea and air with or without approval from legislators. (No shaking)
If I were president Jonathan, these people would all be arrested as part of the on going security crack down : Alhaji Tinubu, Alhaji Fashola, Alhaji Adamu Oshiomhonle, Alhaji Buhari and indeed the muslim led APC leadership.
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by LydiaBI(f): 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2014
Re: Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency by vanbonattel: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2014
Mogidi: JTF will pursue Boko haram and its supporters on land, sea and air with or without approval from legislators. (No shaking)
If I were president Jonathan, these people would all be arrested as part of the on going security crack down : Alhaji Tinubu, Alhaji Fashola, Alhaji Adamu Oshiomhonle, Alhaji Buhari and indeed the muslim led APC leadership.

Even mallam Rochas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Omisore - I Lost Osun Election To Partisan Acts Of Ex-REC Commissioner / Why Were Saraki, Oyegun, Dogara Absent At Tinubu's Colloquium? / Battle-ready APC, PDP Senators Perfect Strategies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.