Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (87361 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations And How To Handle Them / Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Shegbe: 11:03am On Nov 18, 2008
I feel ur pain brother. that COAT is not useless oh. You may reduce the size and use it 4 subsequnt interviews
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by oluwdashmi(f): 11:11am On Nov 18, 2008
Cheesy I had similar experince when i went for a interview, i was shaking within me. a question was ask what is the past tense of undertake out of fear i answer under-went. bro & sis i maintained eye contact with the interviewer. He repeated the question i answer the same thing. he score me 4 , i came out laughing at myself. what i know i could not answer again because of fear.
@ ijeuzo

You made me laugh so much as I remembered I once had the same experienced.

I went for an interview and along the line I was asked the past participle of GO, i immediately said GONE. Then I was asked EAT and said EATEN. Then one of the interviewer said I should use EATEN in sentence, I said HE HAS BEEN EATEN. The head of the interviewer then said do I mean the boy was eaten by a lion, I replied that no I mean he has taken his food. I should have said HE HAS EATEN, which I knew very well but wouldn't know how I said it.

Funny enough, having realised my mistake, I even tried to argue with them so as not to loose but later kept quiet and remained bold. I guess I scaled through due to my boldness.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by tkb417(m): 11:16am On Nov 18, 2008
You are a disgrace to the Nigerian workforce.

Ashame.
dnt count your chicks before they harsh.
c as u destroyd d engish language.
r u a janitor?
lol

i wonder why everybody suddenly wanna stray away from the original idea of this thread.
Kindly post ur experience and forget the bad grammar from the posters part

as for u mr lecturer, is that what you call queens english?
he who lives in a glass house dont throw stones! u havent heard that b4?
now u know. so run and read some brighter grammar b4 posting next time grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Makavelis(m): 11:18am On Nov 18, 2008
what about self employment grin
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by oluwdashmi(f): 11:37am On Nov 18, 2008
@Poster

I threw up on the Director and the HR Manager conducting the interview

@ Method-Man
WOW shocked shocked shocked shocked more than an embarrassment.

yeah back to the issue about feeding well

one dude came 4 an interview in my coy, after passing tru the written tests in flying colours,

as he was finalizing issues with the GM, he collapsed n fainted!!!,

my

sry i got cut off, my GM nearly heart a coronary that day.
fortunately the dude was revived n a tin of peak milk was administered 2 him,
he then confessed that he was on 7days fasting in his local church.[not sure if he said that 2 save face, or he was serious]

but at the end of the day,,,,he failed to snag the job!!, guess his fainting spell played a major role 2wards his failure,

so guys please please eat well n dree properly before an interview.

4 the dude asking about suits,

yes suits are a must if u are going 4 a banking/fin house interview.

4 oil n gas, it aint mandatory,

@ earthrealm

Too funny grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

All these posts are bone cracking
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by BANKY77NG(m): 12:20pm On Nov 18, 2008
I remember an interview i had with an oil servicing firm, everything went well, the position was for a rig rustabout (trainee engineer on rig) towards the end of the interview, when i was already looking successful, i could sense from the tone of the interview, he decided to ask one final question, id didnt know it was a trap.

Q. Would you mind another position in our HSE Department that will not require you been on rig ?

A. (Foolish me) I was quick to say Yes , I never knew the real meaning of the question was that "do I really want this rig Job."

That was the final word.

We must be careful and think before we answer every question, sometimes a 2 second pause does not mean you have nothing to say.

6 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ud4u: 2:20pm On Nov 18, 2008
Kudos man, nice post
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Noah69: 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2008
All the people talking about self-employment, God bless you, but know that every day in self-employment can be like a job interview. I've gone for many pitches (I'm in the design industry) and it feels like a job interview every day. If you're running away from interviews, self-employment is not for you!!

About the poster's grammar (not grammer), it's important to note that grammar, diction and spelling are also part and parcel of the employers' decision-making process. While the suit and co are important, it's also really important for you to inspire confidence in the employer or interviewers' board.

Remember that a new hire is a reflection on the employer's decision-making ability. Therefore, if the employer feels s/he'll look like an idiot hiring you, you won't get hired.

As a rule though, just try and stick to the following:
Try and find out about the company you're going to. Do a Google search. If you can't find any specifics on the company, at least find out about the field they operate in. There's nothing more irritating than an interviewee that doesn't know anything about the company.

You can't lose what you don't have. Some previous poster has said this and it's sooooo true. Go in to win, but avoid a "do-or-die" mentality. Determination is attractive, but desperation puts off anyone. So you'll have to show the interviewer that you want their job, but you won't die if they don't give it to you.

Dress Well. All that rubbish about a shirt and trouser is just rubbish. Wear a suit (ladies too). It doesn't kill. Polish your shoes, wear socks. If you find you're overdressed, you can always remove your tie and put it in your pocket. There's nothing more embarassing to find your interviewer is more dressed than you.

Smile. Not a goofy, idiotic smile. Smile a friendly, confident smile. Like you're happy with who you are, and you're happy with the people you're meeting.

Finito

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kennyslim(m): 5:22pm On Nov 18, 2008
kinugo:

nice one men. i like what he said about win or loose and all those good advice, hope ur working now?
Shinatu:

One or two persons already mentioned the grammer issue and from the way many of the responses are contructed one would see that those who are responding to this post (most of them at least) are very much capable of identifying bad grammer when they see one, they have just chosen to ignore that and focus on the main purpose of the post ,that is how they have been able to find this thread funny and they are apparently having a nice time.Maybe you should do the same, not only on this thread but with life generally.

First one: Is that thing GRAMMER OR GRAMMAR? I wld've let it pass, but most of u guys used GRAMMER. So, I thut it might be nice pointing out the difference. Choose GRAMMAR pls
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by GORRET(f): 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2008
@poster

Good to know you learnt a lesson or two from that experience. We learn everyday and i am glad others have also learnt from your job interview experience.

Preparing for and answering interview questions successfully makes you stand out.

When you are asked to talk about yourself,use it as a great opportunity to sell yourself.

Do you have any question concerning job interviews?

send your questions to successfulinterviews@yahoo.com
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 18, 2008
@ BANKY77NG grin grin grin I couldn't have stopped laughing at your post, LMAO
BANKY77NG:

I remember an interview i had with an oil servicing firm, everything went well, the position was for a rig rustabout (trainee engineer on rig) towards the end of the interview, when i was already looking successful, i could sense from the tone of the interview, he decided to ask one final question, id didnt know it was a trap.

Q. Would you mind another position in our HSE Department that will not require you been on rig ?

A. (Foolish me) I was quick to say Yes , I never knew the real meaning of the question was that "do I really want this rig Job."

That was the final word.

We must be careful and think before we answer every question, sometimes a 2 second pause does not mean you have nothing to say.

Guess its kinda important to take note of certain post points on this THREAD.

I bet, this one is a BomB!!!!

Talking about Suits! , grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 18, 2008
@ KennySlim, I supposed you passed thru a SECONDARY SKOOL before accumulating university scores!, That a good one,

I think it's moreorless neccessary we look into the grammatical structures of this thread , cos' i want to believe, this thread is been used by Graduates and experienced scholars who have witnessed one or two interviews before and could possibly want to share their experiences.

I hope i have never not speaking, spoke / spokening a grammertical GBOSA! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 18, 2008
@ BANKY77 NG I guess you were were not quite sure of what you really wanted as per JOB. For you to have rushed and said YES' to that change in job plan, meeen grin it means you are after the chicken which haven't been harshed yet! so please t'is a good lesson for all to learn.

BRB.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 18, 2008
@ Noah69 , Although you got some good tips on this job interview thread, BUT!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked about some of your grammatical faults or do i call it errors or broken English, check your faults,

Noah69:

You can't lose what you don't have. Some previous poster has said this and it's sooooo true.

All that rubbish about a shirt and trouser is just rubbish.

Finito

Sry, i was able to pick up this few faults, may be i'll do more next time. hope we all learn, smiley cool
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by neowelsh(m): 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2008
i can't stop thinking of what happen to me 2003,
whenever i hear people talk of interviews

back then, i applied for the position of a receptionist
a day before the interview i was told i have to dress co-operate by fellow applicants, i saw them ironing suit & similar cloths
but i had a problem with that because am the jeans type.

so i now went and bought a new black material trousers and a white long-sleeve, and met a friend that gave me his bolt-tie

you got to see me, on the day of interview, i was like an america lobby boy.
i was so happy, thinking am cool.

but when i got there,
oh my God,
every 1 was just staring at me oddly, i almost jump out of my self.
my friends started laughing at me(my dressing) that, i have not attended an interview before.

i was so embarrassed, you could imagine
i even had in mind of getting a new girl friend.
but i was bleeped.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by sledge406: 8:55pm On Nov 18, 2008
Posted on: Today at 05:54:53 PMPosted by: brein
Insert Quote
@ BANKY77 NG I guess you were were not quite sure of what you really wanted as per JOB. For you to have rushed and said YES' to that change in job plan, meeen it means you are after the chicken which haven't been harshed yet! so please t'is a good lesson for all to learn.

BRB.

Brein dere's notin worse dan someone trying to correct somebody and yet making a large fool of himself/herself. You aint beta than anybody here looking @ their grammatical faults. Did u mean to say hatched or harshed Think again and just comment rada dan find faults.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by PollMaster: 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2008
tkb417
Ur fish brain is worryin u.
U slowpoke.
Read d first post.
Ul c i ws quoting sum1.
Malu.
Lol.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by tumfulu1: 9:24pm On Nov 18, 2008
lmao!! @ pollmaster
Dnt mind him d guy cnt read
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by solution07: 10:06pm On Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for the tips they are nice tips for interview preparation
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by lolo01: 1:14am On Nov 19, 2008
Damn grin grin grin grin

This is the most hilarious thread I've ever read.

Men I laughed so much I had my ass on the floor.

For the poster, men nothing do you.

@ those guyz concerned with the GRAMMAR(GRAMMER) issue, abeg drop that rubbish. Who be the teacher, see u like say You dey holy pass your brother.

Enjoy the thread and stop being critical about the grammar.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by agina22(m): 6:44am On Nov 19, 2008
Imagine walking into an office for an interview and your knees begin to shake, your palms sweat, your voice begins to quiver making it obvious to the manager that you are not confident! Imagine what it feels like when they tell you to go and that they would contact you soon! After scouting for a job and they invited you for an interview and you just blew it. That's quite bad. Being confident entails that you would have overcome shyness in your life. If you are shy, how can you be confident?
Shyness limits you from doing so many things, apart from going for interviews, even in your relationship with people. You find yourself not doing the things you ought to do because you are shy. If you would like to overcome shyness, then send me an email ikdafabulous@yahoo.com . Just for 5H you get an ebook that will change your life. Hope to hear from you soonest.
Until next time.

3 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ucheo: 11:18am On Nov 19, 2008
Pals l had a similar experience. My first intervw was with a Ist bank, i was doing so well and they askd me what l dislike about their bank, l replied d way some of their staff dresses. The nxt thing l heard is we will get back to u.

My 2nd was also with a bank in d last interview they started insulting my father dat he is a sec sch drop out, n d colour of my face changed and i lost it there.

My 3rd with a bank by then my cofidence level was so low and l needed jod badly. they asked me about Reconsoloditation n I just gave a cork n bull story. It was glaring dat l dont know what am there to do.

My 4th with Oceanic i did nt proof read my Cv. n got dumped out cos companies gives credence to details. Men by then my confidence was at d lowest ebb. I consulted people on how to get it right and it helped me

My nxt one is with the bank am with presently , I got their late filled with confidence, done enuf research n low n behold i came out tops.

My lessons: Do a very good research on d industly n company u want to work in. Know thier history , everything. Dont ever lose ur smile in d cause of an interview, Always say positive things abt the company when asked even if its glaring dat u r lieing. Then be bold, confident, do superb introduction when asked 'can we know u', dress smart, and never loose ur smiles.

Sorry guys hope its nt too long

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Bolarge(m): 1:22pm On Nov 19, 2008
kanayo74:

vi)       when asked how much u will collect just tell them that they have a salary scale with which they pay that they should be in a better position to determine that
I'd give your post a thumbs up but for this highlighted part.
I'll simply advise applicants to do their homework when it comes to appropriate remuneration for the position you're applying for. It doesn't take too much effort to research a lil bit. Otherwise be ready to be underpaid. It's an exploitative world my dear, learn to live with it. What's the point asking for #40,000/mth only to discover less qualified employees are netting #75,000 and above? You've only set the stage for a lifetime of bitterness and rancour at your so much desired new job.

Visit the company earlier than the interview date if you have to and make friends with insiders who can furnish you with handy pieces of information that make you shine big time on D-day. Print-out from their website's such a brilliant idea, kudos to the poster that brought that up.
The fact that u're better equipped with info than you would've been otherwise has a way of bolstering your self confidence.
After having done your part, it does pay to commit the rest to God.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by clemcykul(f): 2:40pm On Nov 19, 2008
my experience is a disheartening one, which i will never forget in a hurry.

there happened to be an interview in one this confectionary producing companies.
actually i was notified by a friend about the interview late, and i made some lousy mistakes i will never forget in a hurry.
*i did not update my CV before heading for the interview as a sales rep.
*i did not quite get the address of the company and had to go on an unplanned sight seeing round the city, asking questions here and there before i could locate the damn company!
and when i eventually got there boi! i was 30minutes late, my face was so oily, i was sweating profusely, to worsen the whole issue i polished my one and only important black shoe with vaseline and to God be the glory it was caked with red sand.
Immediately i entered the silly receptionist looked me up and down, and asked me what i was there for, i was quite embarrased and told her point blank that i was here for the interview.
finally it was my turn to be interviewed, before i got up i realized my lips was dry, my knees where quivering seriously, i was not composed, coupled wid my disheveled looks, all the same i mustered up the little courage i had left in me and entered the interview room and was met wid six personnel's and a sinlge lady amongst them.

i was asked my name, before God and man how my own name excaped my mind i can't tell till tomorrow, i stood there mouth agape, the lady waved her hands before my face, and guess what i did? i smiled like a fool
to end the whole misery i was asked, that if am given this job as a sales rep and maybe while doing a field work, and someone calls me to inform me my that my mother is ill what will i do??
without a second thought i blurted out * i will just run home and rush her to the hospital*

and i was greeted with smiles and the ususal we shall get in touch wid u. when i got home i cried and hated myself that day.

i really don't fancy recalling that day, though it was my first job interview, but am glad am now gainfully employed and doing buoyantly financially kiss

12 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ifelowo(f): 3:08pm On Nov 19, 2008
my embarassing interveiw as when i was looking for a place for my industrial attachment. the person interveiwing me has already giving me the job , all of a sudden, my phone rang then i picked the call in front of the man. immediately he changed his mind. i didnt get the job. then it was my only chance.

lesson learnt:
when going for an interveiw, always switch off your phone
stay positive. beleive every thing works for our good
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by mayrho(m): 4:45pm On Nov 19, 2008
guess what mine is worse I took my resume or wt i thot was my resume. And on demand i passed it to my interviewer. He replies: Is this some kind of joke.
You really don't want to know what was in the paper i passed to her.

A collection of romantic Poems I was putting together

8 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kachiside: 4:55pm On Nov 19, 2008
oh my God, i couldn't hold back my Laughter at the last poster, i had to cover my Mouth so that my Colleagues in the office will not hear me. In fact that was the worst experience i have read, (Polishing your Shoe with vasline, not even giving it to mallam to polish for you)

My first interview was with a Bank, I travelled all the way from the east for that interview in Lagos, i stayed with a friend, i Forgot my Powder and even my weavon brush, though i didn't Know. It was in the monring that i was preparing that i found out and lo and behold my friend doesn't have powder not to talk of weavon brush and ladies you know what that means, any way i left house at Ikeja thinking that b/4 i got to where i was going(VI) that i will see either of them, i didn't see any because that was on a saturtday and i reached the venue very early.

When it was my turn, i went in with all smiles, sat down, they started with tell me abt your self, i recited that one, they asked me the course that i read of what help will i be to them in the bank, i told them what i can, they looked at me and repeated what i said, i didn't talk, they asked me if i have any question for them i said no, they just told me that they will get back to me. The whole thing didn't even last up to 10 mins.( upon all the cramming i did abt the bank and other things, i was not given that opportunity) I know there and then that i didn't impress them and there was nothing for me.

When i got home, everbody wanted to know how it went, what questions were asked, i couldn't tell them the truth, i was so ashamed of my self, everytime, they keep asking me if i have heard from them and i wll say no,knowing within me that i will not hear from them.

Where am working now, that God it was what i read in the University so i went in with all confidence and i didn't fix weavon, i had to do braids, because after that my first experience i vowed never to fix weavon for any Interview, any way that was my second interview and i got the job because i charmed them with my smiles.They had no option and GOD AND LUCK was on my side.

I hope i didn't BORE you with my LONG experience.
Have a nice time everybody.

6 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by software(m): 6:23pm On Nov 19, 2008
NL mo go kill me,

so much to learn from all the stories,
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by whiteroses(f): 7:44pm On Nov 19, 2008
i wouldn't wanna be you that time, woosh embarassed
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by solowealth(m): 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2008
One other thing to learn is that most of the interviewing panel have also been interviewed one time or the other. At the same time, most of them are employees and they are like your neighbours, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, fathers and mothers at home. So be bold! the panels are also human being like you.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by shylladear(f): 12:32am On Nov 20, 2008
smiley well i guess the fun is still on
ride on guys am catching my funnnnnnnnnnnnn grin cheesy
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by tamai(f): 12:03pm On Nov 20, 2008
I went for a zenith bank interview,when it was time
for me to go in, i knocked on the door,and walked in with a smile on my face
only to be told to wait outside.it was quite embarassing.

When its your turn to go in,knock on the door,and don't go in and sit until you are
asked to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / Beware Of This So Called Company, They Are Kidnappers / QUESTIONS: GMAT,JOB APTITUDE TEST,GOVERNMENT JOB TEST &(5) COVER LETTER SAMPLES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.