Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,046 members, 7,818,145 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise (19673 Views)

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise / My Boss Nags Each Time Its Time To Pay Salary. Please Advise Me. / Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 21, 2013
#bizfirst#:
I'll leave you with a quote by Steve Jobs that I applied when I faced a dilemma like yours. It goes:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary"

- Steve Jobs

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by GboyegaD(m): 11:50am On Jun 27, 2013
Picomon:

Ok, passion doesn't pay the bills. But at least you should love what you're doing. How will you perform or do a great job if you don't like what you're doing?

He said he doesn't like the course, I think there's nothing wrong in starting all over again. If he should go fully into that field, because of money and he doesn't love what he's doing, I'm sorry man, he might commit a big murder.

For your friend, you said she's a brillant gal, but she hate pet engr. Don't you think she might graduate with poor results and with that she will regret for studying the course? And that might her affect her big time.

Since, she opted out by herself and changed her course of study, I guess she will be happy with that. Even if she's earning a lil pay for now, that doesn't mean that's how things will be for life.

I want you to know that what really matter in life is happiness. Not all the time, money. Yes, money is important and it's used in supporting life.

Passion is about telling yourself you love something. Loving what you do is the best way to develop the passion for it. It is his choice and that is why I cannot contribute here since he will be responsible for his decision in the long run.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by GboyegaD(m): 12:36pm On Jun 27, 2013
ultimateballer:
This is false. you could Google top paying careers in the US and pet Eng and IT takes the cake

Are you kidding me or you just chose to live in illusion?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by onyekachee(f): 10:35am On Dec 01, 2013
well my dear,u are not the first and neither are u going to be the last,many docs are getting dissatisfied already and are opting out.it is only the youngsters who do not know what life is all about that are so crazy about medicine,it is time consuming and most of them earn peanuts
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by LMay(f): 5:41am On Jan 04, 2014
Josh316:

From me, I'd say, go for your MPH, and you can leave core hospital work to pure public health work, with either NACA, FHI, Or any NGO dealing with public health (AIDS, TB, Malaria etc). That's what I did

Trust me, it will be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr better than starting afresh.

DON'T LOSE HOPE LAD!!!!

Hi pls I would like to hear frm sm1 like u who's alrdy into MPH, what d pros &cons are. PH has always bn my dream specialty post MBBS since I don't see myself going into d typical vigorous clinical practice everybody s scrambling for. I want smtn less vigorous, less "time consuming" -i mean smtn wt flexible work hrs &most importantly since m warm &enjoy speaking a lot, I want to assume ds might b a vry gd career path for me post mbbs. Pls enlighten me, I wnt to mk an informed decision. Also I wd like to knw step by step tns to do post mbbs to find myself there. Pls dnt fail to include d pay o, lemme knw wat m gettn myself into. grin Anticipatn ur reply. Tnxxxx
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by aminutade: 8:35pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hello,

I'm a graduate of bch. I've been offered admission into MPH program with the options of specialization on one of these;

1. Epidemiology;

2. Environment and occupational health;

3. Maternal and child health.

Please I'm seeking counselling cuz u guys seem conversant with the field of MPH.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by sisiafrika(f): 4:10pm On Jul 03, 2014
aminutade: Hello,

I'm a graduate of bch. I've been offered admission into MPH program with the options of specialization on one of these;

1. Epidemiology;

2. Environment and occupational health;

3. Maternal and child health.

Please I'm seeking counselling cuz u guys seem conversant with the field of MPH.
which school?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by aminutade: 9:26am On Jul 05, 2014
Why asking dear?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by sisiafrika(f): 11:37am On Jul 05, 2014
Gosh! U suck get off. Why can't I ask. Excuse me, eat ur info.[url]Gosh! U suck get off. Why can't I ask. Excuse me, eat ur info.[/url]Gosh! U suck get off. Why can't I ask. Excuse me, eat ur info.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by aminutade: 11:54am On Jul 05, 2014
Lol. Sorry dude. No offence. It's manipal university, india.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by sisiafrika(f): 12:38pm On Jul 05, 2014
Spare me
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by ubongutioh(m): 3:50pm On Dec 27, 2014
DrBaby:
@OP, I am a doctor like u n truth is I av found myself in dis situation a lot of times before now. I was so scared of what il do afta graduation, dint want to get stuck doinwat I dont like....so i started to think....
Now wat is it dt u dont like in medicine....der r a lot of field/dept in medicine...its very rare for u to 'hate' all d dept...see if u can like anyone of it....just incase u really r goin to b 'stuck' in it....so I settled for paeds here...I dint make any commitment at dis stage (no primaries, nothin, just tried to dev d interest)
Next stage, I tot I needed a break frm medicine....sometimes its abt d stress u went thru so wen u eventually bcom a doc it feels like its nt worth it....not new cos we feel same way abt oda things in life....so at dis point I decided to change location (left naija) and settled for a masters in public health...now me not so cut out for oda things in life unlike u who alredi has an interest in pet eng.
Next...afta my one year masters...I looked at d public health thing...for a start I myt av to b travelling from one third world country to d oda to up ma CV n make myself relevant....at dis stage it was glaring I myt av more to deal wt here than in medicine so I said y not try medicine elsewhere, to av an idea wat clin practice is outside naija...so I wrote my licensing exams and started working as a doc here...bliv u me, life feels so diff now...d pay, so much less stress, things r workin well n everyday I see aw my actions or inactions directly affect patient care...n bliv u me, its bn worth it.
Now av said al dat just incase ur reasons r based on wat u see around u...or some fears abt ur future life as a doc where u r at d moment.
Another scenario u can learn from...
My bf is a doc also n since 300 level he has vowed neva to practice medicine so he has bn on a search for wat field to go into...he also wanted something engineering too...so at d end of d day, he settled for occupational health, safety and environment. Now wt dis u work directly wt most engineering companies esp oil n gas...u r a lil closer n u see inside things...there r a lot of certification u can get HSE I, II, III etc, he also alredi has his NEBOSH and he is getting his masters in occupational health safety n environ in d UK.
Now d choice is urs...d world has bcom so liquid dt goin for a first deg in engineering is like driving backwards...der r a lot of middle grounds des days n even heads of companies r lookin for diversified individuals ...cos it pays dem...u wl offer wat odas who av bn strictly in d field cant offer.
If u cld survive med sch..u can pretty much survive anywhere in d world...u av bn built to take over n dt mbbs cert def sets u out from d crowd.
I hope all I av said makes a lil sense n pls pray for God to direct u...dont make d decisions of a life time in a hurry.
Make Sure ur foundation in medicine is secure...as in b fully reg wt d council (mdcn, gmc etc) so dt wen u eventually venture into medicine either as a part time job ( apart frm in naija, its stl one of d highest Paying job outside, so u can b doin locums which pays more than wat oda ppl earn in 3 days for an hour) or for investment ( u myt want to invest in an hospital in d future), u go stl dey kampe
Compliment of the season. I'm a medical Doctor interested in Occupational health safety and Environment. I want to embark on NEBOSH training, but I need someone to guide me. Please kindly drop your boyfriend EMAIL for me here.
ubong_utioh@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by asalimpo(m): 4:49pm On Dec 27, 2014
Lagusta:
hmmmmm......

i'll sincerely advice u go for the MPH and venture into health insurance....

what if u do the pet enginn. and things become worse?

plss dont think about the money ooo, not all oil geeks are rich ooo, my elder bro had a neighbour once that worked in chevron, this guy is paid 750K a month, but this guy still lives from hand to mouth, after a week, money don finish, no savings, borow money to fuel his car, etc.......

there are alot of ways to have a fulfilled life as a doctor without going to the clinic or theatre..... and if its money, there are alot of opportunities meeehn, if u know your way!!!!!

your analysis is soooo wrong.
The 750k/m(8m+ yr) dude isnt suffering from insufficient income but from inability to control his desires and/or other problems.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by asalimpo(m): 7:02pm On Dec 27, 2014
cramjones:
These are my thoughts:

My question is why go for an MPH when you know you want to do engineering? Who is paying for your MPH is it still your parents forcing you? Who will pay for your engineering degree in the US Is it still your parents?

The truth is...Your parents will definitely not support you financially in pursuing an Engineering degree? (I know I am not your parents so I can't be absolutely sure) However, no parent will make all that investment only to wait again for another 4 years paying tuition of over $30,000 per year for four years! Since you have made the mistake of not droping out of medical school or deliberately failing to drop out. Public Health gives you the non-clinical option...as you can choose to work in population health.

The truth is starting pet engineering say at 26 or 27 makes you old. I have a lot of friends here doing their PhDs in these fields at 26, 27 years....Your brain won't be as sharp as the 18 and 19 year olds taking it as majors.

the bolded is one of the ultra asinine statements propagated and peddled by the world system.
Together with ageism, certs discrimination (first class, 2.1,etc),
looks discrimination ,
its one of the illogical factors used to create artificial elitism.

True most brilliant minds make their mark in their profession early, but tht doesnt mean wat ur tryng it to mean.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Lagusta(m): 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2014
asalimpo:

your analysis is soooo wrong.
The 750k/m(8m+ yr) dude isnt suffering from insufficient income but from inability to control his desires and/or other problems.

Hmmmm, na so oooo
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by SwagPower: 6:33am On Apr 23, 2020
Josh316:

From me, I'd say, go for your MPH, and you can leave core hospital work to pure public health work, with either NACA, FHI, Or any NGO dealing with public health (AIDS, TB, Malaria etc). That's what I did

Trust me, it will be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr better than starting afresh.

DON'T LOSE HOPE LAD!!!!
Good morning Sir...I'm thinking of toeing the same path..MPH or MHA...would you advice I go ahead?..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Problems With Learning A Handwork. / "Smile Or Be Suspended": Phillipine Mayor Tells Government Employees / Michele Ekure Receives AIT Staff From ICT Department

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.