Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125793 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Jakumo(m): 3:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
Hello Parkingzzz your RC piloting skills will take a quantum leap if you take some time to practice with a simulator on your computer. You will be able to master nose-in hovering, as well as hovers facing either left or right, just by putting in the hours. The cheapest simulator out there is FMS, shown in the link below, and costing the equivalent of about 10K naira. It is worth every penny, for the stress-free practice you can amass, with zero crash fears, on your computer.

http://electric-scooters-motorized-bicycles.com/FMSsimulatortransmitter.htm ( Costs $65, with its own dedicated transmitter)

Certainly there are far costlier RC simulator packages, like Phoenix4 RC, Real Flight 6.5, Aerofly5 and so on, but those will run you between $200 and $300, which is a lot compared to FMS, especially since you can learn the exact same skills on all of them.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:11pm On Jan 05, 2014
Jakumo: Hello Parkingzzz your RC piloting skills will take a quantum leap if you take some time to practice with a simulator on your computer. You will be able to master nose-in hovering, as well as hovers facing either left or right, just by putting in the hours. The cheapest simulator out there is FMS, shown in the link below, and costing the equivalent of about 10K naira.

@ Jakumo
It's easy to point out that flaw to me... You have no idea what i do for a living.. I am well aware of the fact my piloting skills will improve if i use a simulator.. But i can't afford an Fms simulator at the moment. And untill i can. Using a simulator will become a pipe-dream... Thanks though for the advice.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Jakumo(m): 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
Pakingzzz:
@ Jakumo
It's easy to point out that flaw to me... You have no idea what i do for a living.. I am well aware of the fact my piloting skills will improve if i use a simulator.. But i can't afford an Fms simulator at the moment. And untill i can. Using a simulator will become a pipe-dream... Thanks though for the advice.

No problem buddy. I will be sure and keep my advice to myself in the future. I realize that 10K naira is a massive expense and I apologize for even suggesting that you consider such a waste of money. Your piloting is as good as it needs to be.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
Jakumo:

No problem buddy. I will be sure and keep my advice to myself in the future. I realize that 10K naira is a massive expense and I apologize for even suggesting that you consider such a waste of money. Your piloting is as good as it needs to be.

@Jakumo
No no no... Now you're getting me wrong.. I aint insinuating you keep your advice to yourself.. No not in the slightest.. With due respect. I just wanted to hint out a possible fact to you.... Hope no hard feelings?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Jakumo(m): 9:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
Pakingzzz:

@Jakumo
No no no... Now you're getting me wrong.. I aint insinuating you keep your advice to yourself.. No not in the slightest.. With due respect. I just wanted to hint out a possible fact to you.... Hope no hard feelings?

I forgot to mention that the download of FMS is free, if you do not require the dedicated $65 transmitter that is sold with FMS. Since you already have a compatible transmitter, you will only need a cable with the right plug, to connect your Futaba transmitter for use with the FMS simulator absolutely free on your computer. Given all you have invested in your helicopter so far, I thought you might be interested to hear of a cheap way to train your reflexes without risking your bird all the time in actual flight.

Google FMS for that free download, and the cable will cost far less than you probably paid for your phone handset. No hard feelings at all, my brother. I felt that perhaps my suggestion had been interpreted as over-sabi, which was not my intent at all. It is good to see a young Nigerian student interested in RC flying, and I am confident that your project, described so well here, will attract the attention of people who will have far more to offer than just advice, so you can reach for greater heights.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Syncapos(m): 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2014
Kingsley, you are simply a genius!!!
Do you know of Chief Damian Anyanwu (MON) also known as Radio Mbaise?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:38pm On Jan 08, 2014
Syncapos:
Do you know of Chief Damian Anyanwu (MON) also known as Radio Mbaise?

I 've heared of him..
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:54pm On Jan 09, 2014
just getting prepared to start my homebuilt gas turbine project
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 10, 2014
Pakingzzz: just getting prepared to start my homebuilt gas turbine project
hmmm
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2014
Been quite some time.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by seribroo56(m): 12:41pm On Sep 25, 2014
Pakingzzz: Been quite some time.
are you stil in school and how far with the copter and tumbine
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by seribroo56(m): 12:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
Pakingzzz: Been quite some time.
are you stil in school and how far with the copter and turbine
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:09am On Sep 26, 2014
seribroo56: are you stil in school and how far with the copter and turbine

Yea.. The copter and turbine are still at the stage you saw in the thread.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:45pm On Oct 09, 2014
In a few days,i shall be unveiling my homebuilt rc airplane.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 2:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
Here's a vague picture of the airplan.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by farouksanusi82: 5:53pm On Dec 03, 2014
[sup][/sup]how kan i get d material
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2014
farouksanusi82:
[sup][/sup]how kan i get d material

I have a guy that sells it to me when it is available. Your location might be further away from mine so you can get it from those peeps that fix masts for Mtn,glo,etisalat etc. The will have the flat ones which is what you need.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by ridwan249(m): 1:39pm On Dec 06, 2014
I really appreciated dis project.,u make it real.wat will be d total cost of d project. Wnt to work on dis project incorporated with phone control system....to work as spy system.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:54am On Dec 08, 2014
ridwan249:
I really appreciated dis project.,u make it real.wat will be d total cost of d project. Wnt to work on dis project incorporated with phone control system....to work as spy system.

The total cost would depend on how exotic you want your flying envelope to be.
If you need an RTF heli(Ready to fly),then you can get a 450 size which is similar to the one i built at $599 this will include a Tx and Rx.
But if you are on a tight budget,you can get the 450 helicopter kit from hobbyking.Com at $216. Mind you,this kit doesnt come with a Tx,rx,brushless motor,Esc,gyro and servos. You would have to buy them as an acessory.
So,excluding the Tx and rx,these required acessories should be around 15,000 naira.
You can get a Tx and rx for as low as 5,000 naira,or you can opt for a programable tx. Depending on the brand,you will get some at 30,000 naira or a futaba 6J,at 38,000 naira.
I intend to sell my heli parts,as i am going to get another one pronto,just needed some upgrade. So if you do need any parts,you can contact me via my number: 07015387845.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DaBullIT(m): 3:31pm On Dec 16, 2014
Technically the work does not imply being genius , I mean that in a good way , and I said that because there was material to look at , If the Op solved those problems without having to import anything or viewing schematics , then that's genius in the highest level

Invention = solving problems , if you solved that problem without importing parts, automatically it becomes cheaper !!!!!!

And that's a challenge for you , start a new project !

However for the hard work put into this , You deserve scholarship even a serious Job ,and at least a medal from the president

That being said , have you thought about tactical application of the device / reasons why government would want to buy in large quantities ?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:09am On Dec 22, 2014
DaBullIT:

That being said , have you thought about tactical application of the device / reasons why government would want to buy in large quantities ?

Offcourse.. That was the reason why i installed a cam on the nose of the heli. So it could act as a Drone,/Unmanned Aircraft Systems for Aerial Mapping, Survey, Cinematography and Reconnaissance.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DaBullIT(m): 10:12am On Dec 22, 2014
Pakingzzz:

Offcourse.. That was the reason why i installed a cam on the nose of the heli. So it could act as a Drone,/Unmanned Aircraft Systems for Aerial Mapping, Survey, Cinematography and Reconnaissance.

That's beautiful , real cameras with capabilities , data streaming and stuffs should be incorporated too
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:31pm On Apr 01, 2015
Be coming soon.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by donigspain(m): 6:03pm On Apr 02, 2015
Patiently waiting...
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:36am On Apr 22, 2015
I am putting up all my gadgets for sale. These include tx, rx, servos, speed controllers, shafts, gears, swashplates, blades, blade holder, tail boom, micro bearings, gyros etc. Contact me if you are interested in any of them: 07015387845

The Project is closed for now, till further notice.

Reason; am on to projects that will earn me money not hobby projects that don't sell here in Nigeria.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by iukpe: 2:51am On Jun 24, 2015
Pakingzzz:
I am putting up all my gadgets for sale. These include tx, rx, servos, speed controllers, shafts, gears, swashplates, blades, blade holder, tail boom, micro bearings, gyros etc. Contact me if you are interested in any of them: 07015387845

The Project is closed for now, till further notice.

Reason; am on to projects that will earn me money not hobby projects that don't sell here in Nigeria.

I really am impressed with your energy and interest especially the way your thread started and you actually achieved your thoughts accepting ready made technology. I particularly commend the way you made out the fly-bar and swash-plate yourself. Reminds me of things I used to do many years back. When there were no internet or easy cameras.
Your efforts made it easier for you to apply all the parts and components you eventually received. Kudos my friend.
I have always wished I could get wrapped up with guys like you. I have a strong passion for making things work too. But our country is too full of hustling and less fun. I used to fly stuff like this some time and still have a lot of spares for them.

https://www.nairaland.com/154012/rc-hobby#4467479
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Tommyclancy(m): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2015
Pakingzzz:
My name is Kingsley Obinna, Aka Pakingzzz.
A student of Michael Opkara University of Agriculture. Currently studying Mathematics.... Enough of the introduction about me...

CONTACT DETAILS.
email: kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com

I am currently bulding a homebuilt radio control helicopter...]The helicopter weighs 950grams including the battery.

One problem most people often have,trying to building a pratical model helicopter is: the ability to get certain critical parts....
I want to show them how to bypass that.
If you want to bypass my method,then you must have some sound idea about design ideas,design theories,design problems,mechanics,fabrication and having an idea of material structural strength.
[/color]
In my design,i am using a model Airhogs bluesky airplane Tx and Rx.
The Tx is a 2.4ghz,and has a micro camera embedded in the receiver.. According to the manual,it could take up to 100 pictures and a 5 minute length video.

The Tx functions just like a mode 2 Tx,where the throttle is on the left and aileron is on the right.
Each joystick has one axis of movement(an unusable feature for heli control). So i disoldered it and replaced it with a Playstation joystick. I did this that i can have a joystick with 2 axis .
This airhog Rx was built to drive a micro motor that ran at 3.2v,and drew 1amps.
I wanted it to drive a motor that draws about 15amps at 12v with it. I knew this impossible without destroying the mosfet in the Rx.
I simply built an amplifier to amplify the 3.2v to 12v,and the current as well.
I also buit a little Bec for the Rx.

At first,when i connected the Rx to the Bec,it wouldn't pair with the Tx. I suspected there where alot of interference coming from the main motor,and disturbing the reception. I soldered a diode to the output of the Bec and the problem was solved.

THE MAIN BLADES

I built the helicopter blades, from a strip of baton board or ceiling batton stick,(i dont know what you call yours).
It was hand carved. You have to have a ton of patience doing this,and love it as well.
Mind you,these batons are unsymmetrical in their dispersion of weight. You would have to balance your blades statically and dynamically,else your heli will never fly.

As with the blade, all other parts are mostly custom built.
The construction of the blade holder or rotor head,was done,using light aluminuim sheets.
If you have any question,you can do so here,or contact me via my email kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Tommyclancy(m): 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
My nam is tomiwa am buildin a rc heli al i nid is servo esc gryo tx rx nd swashplate
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:07pm On Oct 21, 2015
Tommyclancy:
My nam is tomiwa am buildin a rc heli al i nid is servo esc gryo tx rx nd swashplate

Call me on 08099875308
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Jakumo(m): 2:25pm On Oct 25, 2015
Parkingzz it is a bit sad to see that your RC projects are being set aside for now, but one thing is for sure, the engineering knowledge and techniques that you learned and taught yourself, during the time you tinkered with RC flight, will ALL come in useful in other electronics or mechanical engineering projects that come your way in the future. Thus that technological know-how is NOT wasted, and could well come in veyr useful down the road of life, in ways that you might not anticipate at present.

I would like to suggest that if possible, you do not sell your RC project materials and electronics equipment, because a lot of those items have multiple applications in many other diverse areas of design and engineering. Besides, the application and value of RC aircraft parts is not appreciated in the Nigerian market, meaning that the offers that people will make will be considerably less than the market value of all those parts and accessories.

All the best, nwannemm. Nigeria needs young minds like yours, who are actively engaged in technological experimentation, and in time, the opportunities will come your way, be that in the public or private sector. Of this I am certain.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Tommyclancy(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2016
hi,my name tomiwa olatunji a.k.a tommyclancy i am also involved in making rc projects,i have also built sum project like heil,airplane,boat,cars e.t.c.but due my location and lack of money am not able to complete it and make it work.pls if u can help let me knw.here re sum pix of it.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Tommyclancy(m): 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2016
My rc heli is scratch built but as soon as pakingzz snd what i odered i wuld start building the right way.am unable to complete it yet,i hope pakingzz shuld nt 4get. If the materials are delivered i will post the pics of it from the beging to the end of making the homebuilt rc helicopter

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.