Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125777 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:15am On Sep 07, 2013
Below,are the two reduction plastic gear i used. They were gotten from a big toy car truck....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
now I'm dead confused, how long did it take you to assemble all that.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:03pm On Sep 07, 2013
Preboy: now I'm dead confused, how long did it take you to assemble all that.

Three months and some few weeks.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
Here is my 2.4ghz transmitter. The only modification made,was changing the packaging,and replacing the joystich with a playstation controller joystick. This was done so that each joystick could control both x and y axis.
I will soon be dropping this transmitter,as soon as Sidajili's Full range DSM 2.4GHZ Tx/RX arives.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:50pm On Sep 07, 2013
K.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 08, 2013
would u give the the transmitter as u won't be needing it anymore
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:50am On Sep 08, 2013
Preboy: would u give the the transmitter as u won't be needing it anymore
Yea
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:52am On Sep 08, 2013
Here's is the Receiver(Rx)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:18am On Sep 08, 2013
Also.... A li-ion battery i got from a Dell laptop. I seriesed and parallel 4 out of the 6 pieces it had,to get this.......

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:20am On Sep 08, 2013
But am also looking forward to replace it with a lipolymer. As soon as Sidajili sends me his lipolymer as promised.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:28am On Sep 08, 2013
Below is the Pwm amplifier circuit i built. It amplifies the little pwm signal from the Rx. So it can drive the motor without burning out.
Notice the two mosfets. The lower mosfet mounted on a heatsink drives the main motor. While the mosfet without heatsink drives the tail rotor motor. This is so,as it has nothing to worry about,in terms of current.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:37am On Sep 08, 2013
This circuit will also be waved aside,as soon as Sidajili sends me the ESC he promised. Because there wont be any use for them. They've served there purpose. But they did prove to be working well and could stand more abuse.
The pix belo was a test run i did with the circuit,powering the tail rotor. It performed well,without much signs of localized heating

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:47am On Sep 08, 2013
The tail rotor...

The tail rotor consists of two props,rotating in opposite directions,powered by two powerful micro motors.
Below is a pix before i spun it up.....
Note: it is clamped and is disconnected from the helicopter.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:59am On Sep 08, 2013
I am confident enough to believe this tail rotor would be strong enough to produce the force required to counter the torque,and as well have more headroom for steering (yaw). .
This tail rotor assembly is so strong that it can lift up the whole assembly,if left unclamped. This is illustrated in the picture below. Notice the rotor arcing,making an angle to the horizontal plane,even when clamped....

3 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 4:39pm On Sep 10, 2013
10/09/2013
MODIFICATION UPDATES.

Finally,work is now complet on the heli.
Some few weeks ago,the heli was taken to pieces. This was based on Sidajili's advice. All parts containing aluminium was changed and replaced with Styrofoam and fiberglass,where necessary.
Although this wasn't easy,but it had to be done.
Below is a pix of her,without her main blades and flybar paddles

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 4:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
When building this kind of project never overlook the tendency of injuries. They often occur.........

6 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 4:55pm On Sep 10, 2013
For those who might want to build a custom built swashplate. Note the three ball bearings in contact with the groove on the white plastic. It is there to serve as the bearing. Don't let there contact press too hard and create an unreasonable friction. Neither should you let them press too feebly against the grooves: they'll simply fall off..
That's just the best i can come up with for now,and without a CNC ....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 4:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
Oops. Here's the heli withs its old Tx.Humbly ,but sadly waiting for Sidajili's Dsm Tx/Rx to arrive.... cry

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:02pm On Sep 10, 2013
Here's the gearing section. It lies below the main shaft and motor.
The potruded object on the left gear is a one waybearing i built. It permits the rotor to spin freely when spining in the wrong direction. This makes autorotation possible. Although this is impossible with my fixed pitch design. The primary reason why i decided to build this part was because,it saves my gear when i close the throttle stick too quickly. I was aware of the burning fact that if i don't use this autorotation wheel,my motor would serve as a brake when i close the gas.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DDon11: 5:12pm On Sep 10, 2013
Parkingzzz how do we contact you?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:17pm On Sep 10, 2013
Am in Abia state. Perhaps through my email Kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com
or via 07015387845

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:27pm On Sep 10, 2013
Here's a close up shot,showing the battery pack and camera below...

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:29pm On Sep 10, 2013
And behind....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2013
Newly landing skid installed......

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:33pm On Sep 10, 2013
The heli under inspection...

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
New Styrofoam chasis

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
Humbly waiting inspection....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:39pm On Sep 10, 2013
Close-up shot of the tail rotor.....

Note!!!!....... The tail rotor isn't horizontal as one may think. It has some properties in the 'Z' Axis.
As a matter of importance. It is tilted to an angle of is an 75 degrees and not 90 degrees,as it may seem to appear.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
Standing on the terrace.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:41pm On Sep 10, 2013
Standing with her Transmitter.....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
The heli is tail heavy. Notesadthe battery sitting on the nose to counter it this weight..).

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
The heli during remodification....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.