Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,986 members, 7,814,360 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125700 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Helifreak: 8:01am On Sep 22, 2013
@ Pakingzzz,
Congrats man!..... Am from South Africa. I heared about you through a couple of Heli members here in Johannesburg. Also saw a bit of your works in a couple of journals online...
You'r such a wonderful Engineer. Heli members in South Africa are thrilled by your feat. We'r looking forward to seeing your heli take to the air. We would like to donate and encourage you. Pm me please.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Helifreak: 9:36am On Sep 22, 2013
@ Pakingzzz
Some Rc members here in Johannesburg would like you to explain how you got the bearing and what holds it.
And how you got ahold of the materials you used in fabricating your swashplate?
And also,the external circuitry you built to amplify the Pwm signals from your Airhogs Rx,please elaborate and throw more light?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:58pm On Sep 26, 2013
I shall be answering your questions sooner
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
And some explanatory vids
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Gigeadek: 5:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
mr kingsley i like u, i av read all d script concerning d helicopter. I too av a passion to build a helicopter, but i want u to help me on it. God will bless u and increase ur knwledge, dis is my fazbuk acct name Adekola Gigeadek or i shld av ur numbr plse. Thanks mr kingsley i like u, i av read all d script concerning d helicopter. I too av a passion to build a helicopter, but i want u to help me on it. God will bless u and increase ur knwledge, dis is my fazbuk acct name Adekola Gigeadek or i shld av ur numbr plse. Thanks mr kingsley i like u, i av read all d script concerning d helicopter. I too av a passion to build a helicopter, but i want u to help me on it. God will bless u and increase ur knwledge, dis is my fazbuk acct name Adekola Gigeadek or i shld av ur numbr plse. Thanks
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:24am On Oct 02, 2013
@Gigeadek,

i don't see any reason why i should have your facebook account name. If you think i can help you,then do feel free to ask your questions here. I don't give out my number,unless i know who i'm dealing with.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Gigeadek: 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
my questn is dt, how can d swash plate control automaticaly by radio controller. I jst want u to analys on it and d receiver and transmittr
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gigeadek: my questn is dt, how can d swash plate control automaticaly by radio controller. I jst want u to analys on it and d receiver and transmittr

Ok....
To put it in a way you'll easily understand. I shall explain the relationship between them.

The relationship between them,is that; the swashplate is connected to the servo. The servo is connected to the Rx. The Rx recieves pwm signals sent from the Tx.
There's a component you missed.
The servo. The servo is a device that converts pwm signal into mechanical movement. Simply put. A Servo is a small device that has an output shaft. This shaft can be positioned to specific angular positions by sending the servo pwm signals. As long as the pwm signal exists on the input line, the shaft of the servo will maintain a certain predetermined angular position. As the pwm signal changes, the angular position of the shaft changes.

The Tx has a joystick. The Tx transmits a pwm signal. When the position of the joystick is changed. The pwm signa also changes. This change is directly proportional to the position of the joystick.
When the Tx transmits,the Rx receives this signal and demultiplexes the signal to the various channels.
The servo receives a pwm signal from one of the channels in the Rx. It then uses this pwm signal to move it's output shaft to a certain angular position,determined by the current pwm signal it is receiving at that instant.
The swashplate is connected to the output shaft of the servo,through a crank setup that converts the servo's output shaft angular movement into a linear movement(up and down movment,in this case)
This is the relationship that exist between these devices.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by BabaAlabi: 2:31am On Oct 03, 2013
This is awesome. I hope it flies after all this hardwork. What did you read in school?

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:05pm On Oct 03, 2013
BabaAlabi: This is awesome. I hope it flies after all this hardwork. What did you read in school?
The answer to your question is in the first page of this thread.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Gigeadek: 4:53pm On Oct 03, 2013
@pakingzz plse show me the picture of servos and hw its work. Thank u god bless u@pakingzz plse show me the picture of servos and hw its work. Thank u god bless u@pakingzz plse show me the picture of servos and hw its work. Thank u god bless u

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:03pm On Oct 03, 2013
@ Gigeadek,

Below is an animation picture of a servo.
NOTE!!: The black screw you see rotating from a clockwise direction to an anti clockwise direction is the output shaft.
The black arm you see moving from left to right is the crank setup.
The movement it does,from left to right is technicaly called a 'linear movement'.
So you now see,how the black arm simply converts rotary movement into a linear movement?

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:07pm On Oct 03, 2013
The animation picture below is the servo moving the swashplate.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:13pm On Oct 03, 2013
The picture below is the swashplate changing the pitch of the blades.
NOTE!!! : The servos moving the swashplate is hidden inside the helicopter.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:17pm On Oct 03, 2013
Below is a slower animation of the swashplate moving up and down,changing the pitch of the blades!

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:20pm On Oct 03, 2013
Below is a Tx(Dx6i).
NOTE!!! : the two joystick!

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:56pm On Oct 03, 2013
The picture below is my own verson of swashplate.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
If you feel like looking up the technical details. You can click here: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2008350
The documentation there is more up to date than the documentation here. With more step by step pictures of the helicopter construction. And also some links to some youtube videos,featuring the explanation of most critical components.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by swtchicgurl: 2:59am On Oct 06, 2013
Pakingzzz: .

welldone sir! ow far have you gone with this project?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:12am On Oct 06, 2013
swtchicgurl:
Am througi with the project.... Just waiting for a transmitter and receiver some one donated to arrive. Then i'll fire up the helicopter,and post the videos.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by hiuser(m): 8:15pm On Oct 06, 2013
Pakingzzz: My name is Kingsley Obinna, Aka Pakingzzz.
I am a student of Michael Opkara University of Agriculture. Currently studying Mathematics.... Enough of the introduction about me...

I am currently bulding a homebuilt radio control helicopter. My initial sponsor,is a friend of mine called Chemezie ohia AKA Bush,currently in Malasia now..... Enough of the introduction about my sponsor..

The helicopter weighs 950grams including the battery.
The battery is a li-ion battery,the ones that powers your mobile phones. Mine was gotten from a dell 650 laptop battery,with a capacity of 4200mah,at 11.1v.
The helicopter main motor draws a whoping 11amps,at 11v. This was after i modified the number of turns in thd motor.
The tail motor draws 3amps at 7v.

One problem most Nigerian youths do have when building a pratical model helicopter is: the ability to get certain required parts....
In my own design,this has been so.
The only option here is to try and be resourceful.. You've got to have a great amount of grit and patience
when building a homebuilt helicopter. You've got to deal with design ideas,design theories,design problems,mechanics,fabrication and having an idea of material structural strength.
The critical components to acquire are;the transmitter(Tx) and receiver(Rx),a suitable main and motor,the right gears,the rotor head,the blade,the swasplate,Esc,servos and a gyro.

In my design,i was lucky enough to get a Tx and Rx,by virtue of a model Airhogs bluesky airplane i bought.
The Tx operated at a frequency of 2.4ghz and had a micro camera embedded on the receiver.. According to the manual,it could take up to 100 pictures and a 5 minute length video. A pretty setup.
It's a wonder how these companies shrink technologies lately. I bought these,for a paltry sum of 3000 naira.
The next thing i did was,tear the airplane apart,and stole the receiver and camera.
I figured i might kill two pretty birds with one stone. Using the Rx and its camera.

On the Tx,there are two joysticks a trim and two red soft touch buttons. It functions just like a mode 2 radio control system,where the throttle is on the left and aileron is on the right. Each joystick has one axis of movement(an unusable feature for heli control). ..
In my helicopter,this was the only gadget i bought that wasn't modified much.
This airhog Tx/Rx was built to drive a micro motor that ran at 3.2v,and drew 1amps.
I modified this,by building an amplifier to amplify the 3.2v to 12v.
So i went ahead to build a little Bec for the Rx.

At first,the Rx wouldn't pair with the Tx. I suspected there where some interference coming from the main motor. I soldered a diode to the output of the Bec and the problem was solved.
Suffice it to say that,the amplifier was incorporated so that the main motor,running at 12v,and drawing 12amps,would'nt burn out the tiny Esc embeded inside the Rx.

THE MAIN BLADES

I built the helicopter blades, from a strip of baton board or ceiling batton stick,(i dont know what you call yours).
It was hand carved. You have to have a ton of patience doing this,and love it as well.
Mind you,these batons are unsymmetrical in their dispersion of weight. You would have to balance your blades statically and dynamically,else your heli will never fly.

Here's how i managed to balance my blade.
When i mean statically and dynamically,i mean using a knife edge to support the blade,then using a pencil to mark the point where the blade seems to balance. Then doing the same thing to the second blade. After that, bring the blades together,and line them together. Pass a screw through their root(the place they are attached to the rotor head by a screw). Now check the pencil line and see if they are at the same position. The answer is;they won't be. You now have two options. You either have to shift the pencil line that lies neare the blade root, to the pencil line that lies further from the blade root,or visa viz. For example. The pencil line in blade A,is further from the blade root. And the pencil line in blade B,is nearer the blade root. Now you want to move the position of the pencil line in blade A,to the position of the pencil line in blade B. All you have to do is,with a pencil,mark in blade A,the position that lies with blade B's pencil line. Now remove the screw from the blades,take blade A,place it on a knife edge. Makes sure you place the blade on the knife edge on the new line. One side of the blade will now tilt down. This is the heavy side. Use a plaster or glue bond, or epoxy and add it to the lighter side of the blade. Do this untill the blade rests horizontaly. Now you're done with the 1st method. Get a ruler,measure it and get the middle. Pencil it out. Next,measure to your choice,a distance from the middle. Drill a hole in that point. With the same length,turn 180 degrees from the middle,drill a hole here. Get the two blades,place the root of the blade on one of the holes you drilled,pass a screw in it and tighten with a nut. Do the same to the other blade. Now place the middle of the ruler on a knife edge. One of the blades'll tilt down. Heres what you do. Take a glue bond or epoxy(many hobbyst use electric tape),place it on the lighter blade. Be sure to place it in the middle of that blade's pencil line,else you'll spoil the whole day's work. When the two blades are horizontaly levelled,you're done. Take out your blades and fix it in your helicopter,spin it up and see how smooth it runs.

As with the blade, all other parts are mostly custom built.
The construction of the blade holder or rotor head,was done,using light aluminuim sheets. So mind you,dont use any other metal..... If you have any questions you can email me via kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com[i][/i]

We need a #chopper #cab taxi like it! My vehicle plunged in the water the other day!
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by swtchicgurl: 10:15pm On Oct 06, 2013
Pakingzzz:
Am througi with the project.... Just waiting for a transmitter and receiver some one donated to arrive. Then i'll fire up the helicopter,and post the videos.

awesome! goodluck with that bro! cheesy
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:41pm On Oct 15, 2013
I just recieved a load of donation from RCHA in Britain. shocked
They sent me:Tx,Rxs,gyros,ESs,Flyberless control system,Batter chargers,Brushless motors,Servos(digital and analog),Blades,screws and nuts,Ball link joints,Align bell-hiller rotorhead,Shafts,Bearings,lipoly batteries,e.g.
The pix below is the carton that contains the accesories. They sent it through DHL.

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by swtchicgurl: 12:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
Pakingzzz: I just recieved a load of donation from RCHA in Britain. shocked
They sent me:Tx,Rxs,gyros,ESs,Flyberless control system,Batter chargers,Brushless motors,Servos(digital and analog),Blades,screws and nuts,Ball link joints,Align bell-hiller rotorhead,Shafts,Bearings,lipoly batteries,e.g.
The pix below is the carton that contains the accesories. They sent it through DHL.

Yaay! shocked shocked shocked congrats man! Goodluck with the project! cool

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nastydroid(m): 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
finally you are through with the project, i can't wait to see it fly.
bro are all those toy heli created this way?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by sykay: 11:12pm On Oct 15, 2013
@parkings..congrats bruh just bumped into this thread and I'm so impressed this is actually a bold step..neighbour..c67
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
sykay: @parkings..congrats bruh just bumped into this thread and I'm so impressed this is actually a bold step..neighbour..c67
@ Sykay
Do you reside in Ehimiri housing estate?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Below is the Futaba computer Radio they sent

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
The picture below are Rx and Flyberless system control.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
These Servos aswell was also sen. Both Digital and analog

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.