Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,982 members, 7,814,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125699 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by maclee(m): 8:33pm On Sep 17, 2013
Pakingzzz: @ Maclee

Thanks brother.
I've read a little about arduino in the past. However,i dont know much about them. But i do know they behave like a computer,by virtue of there programmability. And they stuffs like;taking a certain input/inputs and outputing a certain output/outputs and other stuffs,in respect to what you programmed it to do.
I'll take a pretty look at them.
Anyway,how did you order for the package? As in how did you made the payment. Paypal?

When i was growing up, I and my friend built an helicopter with carton and zinc as the propeller, despite the speed of the motor it did not fly. we were just wondering why, we just dey mumu ourself say if we increase the speed of the motor it will fly. not until recently i understood the logic behind R.C. Copters and remote controlled cars that moves in different directions. There are other programmers that will do that work, like Go-Go board which is commonly sold by SEED Store (SEED stands for Schlumberger Excellence in Educational Development, and it's a non-profit foundation connected to the Schlumberger Corporation). And some other stores, but I went for the [Sintron] Master Kit + UNO R3 Board for Arduino Starter+ AVR Learner.

So it so easy to buy it,
make sure you have mastercard or VISA card ATM card go to amazon.com and register for free.
then browse for the item you want, most of them will not ship to Nigeria because of our History.
After searching for the file e.g ([Sintron] Master Kit + UNO R3 Board for Arduino Starter+ AVR Learner) sold by prime. Don't click on it, click on the amount with the number of offers, eg, $69.95 new (2 offers) to see the list of sellers that will offer international shipping and check the one with low shipping cost and buy.
You will find out that with our ATM cards we can shop online.

Please when making online shopping, always use firefox and start browsing with https: and not http because of security. Because money is not easy to come by.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
randwise: Am thinking of making a toy car that can be powered by the sun... Pls, what do u think?
My number is 08131137576.. I have gotten a board and some tyre materials..
Making a solar cell is my textbook and ehow search now..

@Randwise.

I appreciate your determination. However,i won't advice you on what to do because, you're begining to derail this thread!!
I don't like that as an idea. Not in the slightest!
Suppose you go and open a new thread about your project?
We'll all come there to support and chip in,as far as our ability may carry.
if you actualy want to ask such questions here. And you acknowledge it aint at par,with the current said topic.. You may do so.. But include a link where we can all go,and give our inputs.
With due respect. Please don't slip that kind of talk here,and expect to get some sort of answer from me; you won't get it.
Once more. I congratulate you on you progress so far. Open your thread,and i shall give you a clue,how you can use cheap white leads,as a voltaic cell. It's a chance although.
Not much of a chance though.
But at least,a chance....

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
@ Maclee.
Thanks alot on that info
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:35am On Sep 19, 2013
Update!!!
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:40am On Sep 19, 2013
Just uploaded a video of my homebuilt oneway bearing. I will post the link as soon as Youtube makes it available.
At the moment,it isn'nt available. It takes Youtube's search database a day or two to find, index and catalogue uploaded videos, and to update correctly.

I'll keep you all posted.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DDon11: 1:26pm On Sep 19, 2013
Parkingzz, anything you re doing, u must have critics, that is what makes a thread.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DDon11: 1:36pm On Sep 19, 2013
U know, ur topic looks so beautiful but u don't have the equipment to build ur device.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:46pm On Sep 19, 2013
D Don1: U know, ur topic looks so beautiful but u don't have the equipment to build ur device.
Yea D Don1. I actually dont have the equipment. It's even a wonder to me how i have managed,in the long run.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:28am On Sep 20, 2013
Finally,the video's been indexed and catalogued.
Here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6XW2usDbNU&hl=en&gl=NG&guid=&client=mv-google
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:06pm On Sep 20, 2013
ONEWAY BEARING......
A oneway bearing is a bearing that allows movement in one direction only. It is attached to the main gear,and they both form the autorotation wheel.
When the main rotor is spun in the wrong direction,it spins freely,and doesn't spin along with the main gear,although it is attached to it. But when spun in the right direction,the main rotor shaft gets locked to the main gear,by virtue of the oneway bearing,and it spins along with it .
It is this oneway bearing,that facilitates this unique feature. It is attached to the main gear. And this main gear is attached to the main rotor shaft,through the onewaybearing.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:07pm On Sep 20, 2013
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
Coming down to building mine created design problems,as would anything you decide to build on your own.
After some brainstosmings. I crossed the T's, dotte the I's and grouted the tiles. I finaly came up with the design below.
Note!!... The Sim card beside was studiously kept there,to give you an idea of the size.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:23pm On Sep 20, 2013
Building this unit had to be done with care and accurate measurements. Because this unit will be spining at a very high Rpm,it had to be balanced,as would other rotating parts.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
Notice the two silvery grey semi circle objects that are spring loaded on the oneway bearing. I prefer to call them 'Arm'
It is this Arm that does that little trick. When spining in the right direction,it comes in contact with a stopper screw,sprouting out from the main gear. And so the Arms gets locked to the main gear: they spin together as one.
But when spining in the wrong direction,this Arms comes in contact with the stopper screw,but does not get locked. This is because the Arms have a rounded side. And it is this rounded part that comes in contact with the stopper screw when they spin in the wrong direction,and the stopper screw merely slide along the arm,thus depressing and freely passing by. They don't get locked.
Just take a look at the pix below.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:57pm On Sep 20, 2013
To properly understand what i just explained. It would be convenient to look at the pix below.
Suppose A and B are the two stopper screw.
If the oneway bearing should spin in the clockwise direction. It is logical to assume the oneway bearing would abruptly gets stoped by the stopper screw!

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2013
On a closer look,one can easily tell what would happen,if the oneway bearing decides to spin in the anti clockwise direction!
It will spin freely,because the Arms now approaches the stopper screw with its rounded side. Consequently,they just slide along. Take a look at the pix below.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:10pm On Sep 20, 2013
ONEWAY BEARING PARTS....
Here are the parts i used in fabricating and designing it.
(1) The main hub.....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 20, 2013
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:13pm On Sep 20, 2013
(2) Two Micro screws and Four Micro nuts

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:17pm On Sep 20, 2013
(3) The two 'Arms' (cut from aluminuim sheet)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
(4)Two micro springs

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:20pm On Sep 20, 2013
(5) One aluminium ring (fabricated from aluminuim sheet)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:23pm On Sep 20, 2013
(6) One mini screw(for holding the oneway bearing and the main rotor shaft in place)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:26pm On Sep 20, 2013
(7) The main gear,with the two stopper screws screwed in place.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2013
[s]Now, lets couple the whole lots.....
...[/s]
The two screws holding the two Arms are screwed in first.....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:32pm On Sep 20, 2013
Secondly,the two Arms goes in.......

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:34pm On Sep 20, 2013
Thirdly,the springs are fixed and the nuts are driven home.... And a little lubrication.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Afrobasic(m): 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
@pakingzzz, good job.
PS: does any one know where I can get an RC heli in lagos?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:46pm On Sep 20, 2013
Afrobasic: @pakingzzz, good job.
PS: does any one know where I can get an RC heli in lagos?
Ask Sidajili,he knows better.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Afrobasic(m): 7:42pm On Sep 20, 2013
^^^
who is sidajili and how do i contact him?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:55pm On Sep 20, 2013
Afrobasic: ^^^
who is sidajili and how do i contact him?
He's a hobbyst. Here is his thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1414595/nairalanders-remote-controlled-aircraft-suavs
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Afrobasic(m): 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2013
okay.. thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.