Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125691 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Here's the second one.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
Suffice it to say that,i inserted a bushing into the control ball link,to help as a bearing.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
After that,i tested the tail seperately,to ascertain it was working,and that,there were no vibrations..
I proceeded to couple the whole pieces together..
And here's the finished helicopter,with the training gear on,and a lipo battery strapped on. I shall take that training gear off,once i learn how to fly her well.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
I tried hovering the helicopter today,it was very stable. The gyro held the tail very well..
Here's a picture of the helicopter in mid air,while i was hovering it. I shall upload the video soon..

8 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by donigspain(m): 2:21am On Dec 05, 2013
I am so proud of you, nwanne m.

4 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:49pm On Dec 05, 2013
donigspain: I am so proud of you, nwanne m.

Thanks too nwannem oma

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:17pm On Dec 05, 2013
I bought a green and white paint,to use in painting the heli...
Below is the heli,with it's new look.

3 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
Here's a hover practice i was doing today.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
Then i proceeded to rise a bit high over the building roof.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:35pm On Dec 05, 2013
Hovering is usually sweet and enjoying to fly.. I got so carried away. I decided to leave the heli up there in the sky.

4 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2013
I have been nursing the idea of flying in an environment that looks hilly and natural. In my residential area,there's this place that suits my imagination. However,having spray painted my helicopter with a grass green colour,i feared the environment might might make the helicopter unseen...
Below is a picture i took of the site.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by ZeusAyo: 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2013
wink wink
Pakingzzz: I have been nursing the idea of flying in an environment that looks hilly and natural. In my residential area,there's this place that suits my imagination. However,having spray painted my helicopter with a grass green colour,i feared the environment might might make the helicopter unseen...
Below is a picture i took of the site.
advice for you dude look for someone in d millitary(airforce to be precise) and just display dis baby and am telling you that if it reaches the right place, you are made for life...........advice by the way

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by duruiyke(m): 9:58am On Dec 18, 2013
Keep it up bro.i've always wanted to do this right from childhood but dont know how to go about it.just gained admission to study chemical engr but my question is "can one still learn all these eletrical/electronic techniques while doing chemical engineering?"thanks
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:41pm On Dec 18, 2013
duruiyke: Keep it up bro.i've always wanted to do this right from childhood but dont know how to go about it.just gained admission to study chemical engr but my question is "can one still learn all these eletrical/electronic techniques while doing chemical engineering?"thanks

Yes,you can.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by swtchicgurl: 11:46pm On Dec 18, 2013
WOW!!!!

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING! YOU FINALLY DID IT! shocked shocked shocked

You have no idea how happy i am to see this!

May God catapult you to greater heights o broda! shocked

3 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:27am On Dec 19, 2013
@ Swtchicgurl

Thanks sister
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by samuelkanu: 10:56am On Dec 19, 2013
pakingzz very soon when i am passing to my village in ikwuano i will pay you a visit. love what you are doing and i am really impressed. keep it up the sky is your stepping stone
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:42pm On Dec 19, 2013
samuelkanu: pakingzz very soon when i am passing to my village in ikwuano i will pay you a visit. love what you are doing and i am really impressed. keep it up the sky is your stepping stone

Thanks..... I am also from ikwuano. My village is Okweukwu oboro Autonomous community.... Or perhaps i can write down my contact details....
Phone number: 070153878459
email : kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 4:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
On the 18th December,i went to our school to see if protocols would allow me show our Vc the helicopter. However,on get i was told the Vc was on a Senate meeting. So i was asked to fly the helicopter,as there were doubts in the atmospere as to wheather the helicopter could fly..
I was shown a large expanse field,almost at the front of the school Administration block...
I picked a nice shaddy area under a nearby tree. So i switched on the transmitter,followed by the helicopter. I placed the helicopter just some ten yards in front of me.... And here was when the fun began

6 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
Then i raised the helicopter some few feets above the grass,to establish a stable hover.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:13pm On Dec 20, 2013
I gradually increased the throttle a bit,to climb above the tree tops

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:43pm On Dec 20, 2013
Gradually,i applied a right cyclic to the transmitter stick. Suddenly,the helicopter came alive,as it started to drift sideways to the right,at a scary rate of meters!!!

4 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:56pm On Dec 20, 2013
I watched it as it zoomed rightwards,moving so fast for my comfort.. And what's worse.. This was hapening around 8.30am on the 18th of December 2013. Suffice it to say that,the furious harmattan breeze was dangerously disturbing it's flight characteristics.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:11pm On Dec 20, 2013
I immediately taped the left cyclic stick on the transmitter,stopping the helicopter on it's track,from straying to the right.. The helicopter came to a stop just some few feet above the Electric poles nearby

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:44am On Dec 21, 2013
The harmattan breeze was furious so i had to bring up the throttle a bit,to make the helicopter go higher and avoid getting entangled with the electric poles nearby.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:48am On Dec 21, 2013
Up in the sky,the helicopter looked like a little dot,silhouetting the blue sky

4 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:51am On Dec 21, 2013
With the mist in the sky,a little throttle would've been enough to zap the helicopter out of visibility range,and out to the the vast expanse of the endless sky

3 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by donigspain(m): 2:32am On Dec 22, 2013
Nwanne, I studied Meteorology. I must say I'm very surprised at how familiar you are with Aviation cum Meteorological terminologies. Not just that, your good knowlegde of aerodynamic principles is amazing. Keep it up.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by lobell: 4:12am On Dec 22, 2013
Nice going bro...I followed you from the first page to this point and I must say i'm impressed seeing as you are in far away mathematics! One quick question though, whatever happened to your first chopper? You know, the one you were making from scratch, I will like to see that one fly...to my mind, that prototype is the one with the money! cos it contained a large percentage of your brain and muscle, if you get what I mean (using locally available materials to achieve the needed results). Do all you can to make that one fly even if not as well as this one.

My two kobos worth!

3 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Jakumo(m): 4:50pm On Dec 23, 2013
You is da man, Parkingzzz. I never thought that bird would fly, but your design evolved, and sure enough, your helicopter took to the air.

Balancing the fly-bar paddles, rotor-blades and swash-plate are very delicate procedures that must be performed with great precision, or the helicopter will shake itself to bits when you try to spool up for takeoff. You were finally able to accomplish that very exacting task, and I truly admire the determintaion and ingenuity you have showed all along.

All the best with your future in RC aviation, or perhaps even in full-scale aircraft design. You have shown in this thread some serious potential in that field, and I wish you nothing but the very best as you move forward and build on the knowledge you have acquired mostly on your own thus far.

Fantastic job

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 24, 2013
Pakingzzz: I stole the pot cover from my mother's kitchen. And she has been rattling about it!
grin grin grin grin grin

you have done well bro and I honoured to have had the chance of seeing what can be achieved here in Nigeria. Some blind bats will say no opportunity here in Nigeria but you have just proven one FACT: There is opportunity around us in Nigeria and they are hidden in unexpected places such as scraps.

May God keep you on!

Please pass this ingenuity to your kids... Do not let it die. They may not take to engineering but make sure that whatever they choose to become in life, let that ingenuity be embedded in it galvanized with patience.

Honestly, it is our creativity that keeps us alive during our trying times and I see a sould caged within a body that can neither be defeated.

Thank God for the internet!

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by donigspain(m): 1:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
Why is this not on frontpage?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.