Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers (17669 Views)

21 Aspirants Jostle For Kogi Governorship APC Ticket [see Full List Inside] / Retired Generals Jostle For Civil Defence Top Job — Leadership Newspaper / Dangote, Elumelu Jostle For 10 NIPP Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by touchmehard: 3:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
While u agree that there is unemployment in the land, i still have my reservations about these PhD and MSc holders in question.
Those could probably be those type of Msc and PhD holders who cannot defend their certificates. When you interact with some of them, or engage them in intellectual discussions or read what they've written, you begin to wonder what type of school they went to. Which goal-driven organization would want to employ them?
Sometime when you attend interviews, you see some graduates not putting in enough effort during the interview to convince the recruiters that they are the right candidates for the job.
Their countenance just appears helpless and at the mercy of the recruiters, looking as if they are begging for the job. At the end of the interview you hear them saying "pls Oga/Madam help me". All they know is "help help help!" Yet they haven't convinced the interviewers on why they should be recruited. They haven't placed on the interview table what they are bringing into the organization.
And yet you see the few that appear self-confident and knowledgeable during the interview, getting the job, why?
Because they put their foot on the ground and convince the interviewer that they have something upstairs, and therefore should be hired.
Let everybody look inwards and ask him/herself this crucial question "Am I employable?" "Can I contribute to the growth of a company".

Meanwhile, everybody may not be able to get a white-collar job. What happens to creativity and innovation? People with good business plans are getting financed through the Sure-P and YouWin programmes of this administration. People are out there benefiting, while others are just sitting down whining, just because they can't think!
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Sijo01(f): 3:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: You might actually wanna heed the sensible advice of getting busy. It pays.

Your own advise is sure gonna be useful to you. Going through your posts, its obvious you'r very bored and in an urgent need of a life outside nairaland. Get a real life before boredom kills you.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Franky9584(m): 4:26pm On Jun 06, 2013
I cry 4 my pple! Its a pity. Dis same tin happnd during d Nimc registration wen 158000 pple kil themselves 4 jx 1750 vacant position yet we claim 2b gaint of Africa
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by ekwerendi(m): 4:27pm On Jun 06, 2013
c to urself maadam,am currently doing my P.hd too
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by omotayos01(m): 4:38pm On Jun 06, 2013
Phd holder jostling 4 25k job. Pls wake me up if dis is tru. In my dept, we dont av up to 6 phd lecturer and we are stil lukin for more base on NUC crateria for acreditin a course and here we av suposedly phd holder aplyin for 25k job dat even a first clas graduate wil neva aply for. Perhaps dey get deir phd from somalia university or dey are nt intelectualy sound.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2013
tpia@:

come back home is a foreign phrase, nigerians dont like that kind of foreign talk.
I quite understand.Anywaz there's no place like home.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by omotayos01(m): 4:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
MsSantaClaus:

You better beleive it my dear, when I advertised for "Sales Girl" in a clothes shop, I got applications from all of the above. Some were begging me for the job, that they are tired of staying at home, just somewhere to go to everyday, a lady who is an accountant even knelt down crying! I have seen them all.
huh! Lier
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by omotayos01(m): 4:47pm On Jun 06, 2013
Marco-P :

Publish the names of the PhD and MSc holders that applied for the job.
Its all ACN propaganda.

We know there are no jobs in Nigeria, but not for a PhD to apply for your clerical job when there are many private schools that will gladly employ them for much more just to shore up the profile of such schools.

Anyway, how can there be jobs for people when all the jobs created through the questionable public-private partnership ventures in Lagos are meant only for members of Tinubu family and their close associates.

Go to Lekki Concession Company, Alpha Beta Consulting, LAGBUS, Office of Public-Private bla bla bla, Oriental Hotel, Southern Sun Hotel, and many others.

Soon they will say its GEJ that's responsible for Tinubu's drug problem. May God deliver our leaders.
yep, let dem publish d name and d university dey got dier phd from, den we i blive dis is tru cuz i knw wat it take to b a master holder nt to talk of phd
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Ahmednaija: 4:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
slap1: All these people screaming self-employment seem to forget that you have to start with something. Everyone is not equally blessed. You need money to start anything, no matter how little. Our youths are hardworking, but the government is not supportive.
You need 1billion to start something ko? yinwa zai kashe ai!!! Hunger never deal with you thats why you dey there dey make mouth....You can start from somewhere...
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by bloggernaija: 6:08pm On Jun 06, 2013
No electricity
The rail sector is dysfunctional(can easily employ 1,000,000 people)
Rampant importation of even the most basic items(IWEALA IMF POLICIES)
Too much dependence on oil(corruption of ideas and intellectual laziness)
No surprise that the economy is dysfunctional.
Fact: Ajaokuta can easily launch nigeria into the first world within 20 yrs(AGAIN IMF AGENTS AND CORRUPTION RESPONSIBLE FOR ITS PRESENT STATE)

1 unemployment will continue to rise until there is adequate electricity
2agriculture and mining will continue to be in the doldrums until the rail sector start functioning properly(lead to the even spread of development and progress)
3we will always be lepers until we have a functional steel mill.there are people with knowledge of how to build a power plant. Even I know the underlying principle and science behind it . You need a functional steel mill and machine tool company to make progress in this endearvor.just make a replica of one of the power station made by the Chinese .
However do not hold your breath.
The fool who run the country cannot even construct a road without the Chinese ,German ,Syrians and Lebanese. Imagine ,Lebanese .
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by bootlegaz: 6:15pm On Jun 06, 2013
Find your way to United States if you have such degree.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 06, 2013
These people will even earn better as bus drivers. What on earth am i gonna do with N25,000. Chineke

Is that for car maintenance Phd holder!!! When i reviewed our educational system and job opportunity after school, i told myself that BSc was enough. The next was to make money and it is paying off.

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
emmysenior: Self employment! Self employment!! Self employment!!! Plus skill acquisition na em be the koko now ooo...

Do not wait on the government to provide you with jobs ooo...

Almost all the of our politicians don't care about us ooo...

All their energies are channelled towards the jaga jaga of 2015 ooo...

Dem dey look for money to steal and stock pile in readiness for 2015 ooo...

They are all thieves and rogues ooo...

Start today, input innovative ideas, refuse to give up even if that your babe wey love run go, when you hammer, dem go dey worship you.

Once again self employment ooo...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all the Batch B corp members on their POP today.

I love that line, ''Once you hammer, dem go worship''...

Money dey cover potbelly...
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jun 06, 2013
Gbawe: I think we read similar to this not too long ago when PHD holders were amongst those applying for driving vacancies in one of Aliko Dangote's companies.

Employment cannot be boosted appreciable if the centre remains unwilling to make efforts against current practices sabotaging the growth of the SME sector (the main employer of labour worldwide) and stifling economic prosperity of the nation.

How, as one example, can the SME sector grow when 70% of annual budgeted spending is used to recurrently fund governance and politics? Generally, far more help, as a matter of utmost urgency, should be available for the SME sector for a nation like Nigeria with a chronic and serious unemployment problem. This is not the case because spending the wealth of Nigeria profligately on politics, politicians and patronising offices/activities affiliated with governance is the self-destructive obsession of a myopic class of leaders Nigeria has had at the centre since 1999.

Keep speaking english... People like Dangote did not wait for govt support or policies.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
ndudichukwumah: Dis is a disgrace to a country where phd and msc haunting for a job of 25k.if dis msc and phd holders can take dis offer then thier result should be question because no matter d rate of unemployment dey can do something better to earn more than dat amount dat will be paid by govt.

Using ones brains and being innovative is different from paper knowledge. This is the bane of the Nigerian youth.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by creativemusic: 6:48pm On Jun 06, 2013
abeg the best thing now is to learn handwork ooooooooooooo since phd and msc are looking for 25000 job. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin niger i hail thee oooooooooooooooooooooooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 06, 2013
MSc and PhD prepares you to think independently. If these holders apply their knowledge properly, they won't be unemployed. Some people are also not keen on going into their parent's or family businesses because they are not fancy enough. I am self employed and I must say there's no better country to do business than in nigeria. So don't wait for ur government to feed u o. There are endless opporttunities in nigeria. Just put ur head to work and u will find a good opportunity in no time. Just be creative with your ideas
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
Car washers in abuja make six thousand naira per day. But of course we nigerian graduates love fancy jobs where we get paid only 25 thousand naira per month

2 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by abouzaid: 9:18pm On Jun 06, 2013
Nigayoyo:

lie!!!...not PhD holders in STEM fields
guy phd na phd whether in electrical engineering or basket weaving. The news headline is that phds are suffering in usa, their area of study is just the news in detaili.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by lastpage: 9:45pm On Jun 06, 2013
PEREP:

Not in all cases. There are people who simply advertise shoes on BB only to go pick it from an aunt or a shop owner when a friend is interested. I also know of people who simply wake up, look around for addresses of houses that are vacant around lagos and propagate it via the social media and get percentage accordingly. This is not to talk of people who copy phone numbers on cars parked for sale and get a buyer while the seller simply pay a percentage. Some pple even start with counseling school pupils after a detailed research on choosing a career via the Internet and get the parents of those kids to pay as low as N500 to attend.

So many things around to do but most pple are waiting for one capital which is no where. Add value to existing structures and see if you will not make it VERY big.

All the best.

Hi PEREP,
I like your "ideas" and l give you kudos for thinking deep down.
However, l will like to make a distinction on this self employment situation vis-a-vis earning a living.

1.) EMPLOYMENT: To earn a living from any form of work means "that work must be able to pay for your living expenses" (House rent, food, clothing, medicals and utilities like Electricity, water, phone & internet calls, e.t.c)

2.) HOBBY: This is a form of employment that earns you money but what comes from it is just too small to be called "employment" (as in MY MAIN JOB!) and as such, you only do it to either "supplement your current or main job" or you just do it because you ENJOY doing it,... and the money that comes along with it is a BONUS.

Having made those two distinctions, l think what most "youths" are saying, when you ask them to "Take-Up Self Employment" and they counter that they dont have the resources to do so (Capital, Shop/Office, Stable Power Supply, Equipment, other costs w.r.t Utilities) is that:

Using your examples above, let me ask: How much will that guy who advertise "SHOES" on BB, make in a month, to pay for all those things l listed as "expenses" under item 1?
In terms of "capital" you have assumed he already has a BB (where did he get money to buy BB or can everybody afford BB?), he already has internet (check the cost), he already has a Shop and he has machines to produce 'shoes' from raw material which he must have bought somewhere! What about the cost of electricity generator (I better pass) since he cant rely on NEPA? Does he need a "Shop" to keep his machine and materials (He can keep it in his house where Mama and Papa and some other four siblings sleep, if some of them can sleep on the machine and leather in their one-room apartment!
ALL these are initial set-up cost which most Nigerian Youths cant even afford. ..And the banks would not help them by giving out small unsecured loans of say 200,000 Naira, to be repaid at say 5% interest over five years! (as obtainable in saner climes!). Even Dangote got "seed money" (5000 pounds l think) from his Uncle!

Okay, he can be "Housing Agent", right? How many houses can he get rented out in a month and regularly every month as well, (bear in mind there are hordes of "Daddies" doing the same thing, with even better 'reputation' ..if we can use that word ... and those ones still fight tooth-and-nail over commission!) to cover his cost of living?

My position is that we should not think because Mr. A makes money selling pure water in location A, Mr. B can just "copy and do same". It may work for a while but it does not last and does not work for Mr. C and Mr. D.

What we need is a "HOLISTIC PLAN" if we want "Self Employment to work for us".
1.) Special banks to fund SME's must be established and even more importantly FORCED to do their responsibility of giving soft loans to Youths to start Self Employed Business. The Banks we have now only loan money meant for SME's to "Big men" who have no intention of repaying back.

2.) There must be independent Appeal Process to challenge a "refusal for SME loans" to ensure that "paddy-paddy" is not introduced. Sanctions should be stiff and uncompromising

3.) Electricity is the beginning and End of any development. We will never develop or bring down unemployment as long as we still depend on Power Fuel-generators. At least, we must achieve 75% stability in electricity and load shedding can be used to cater for the 25% while we build capacity. Stable electricity will by itself, spring-up many self employed business, as it is a major cost of doing business.

4.) Other infrastructures like roads, water and steel sectors (major Government responsibilities) must also get a boost alongside

5.) Govt must put in place a "Hardship Allowance" for start-Up business to assist them in reducing the impact of the stress that start-up business face. You dont start making money on a business right away (except "buy and sell" which is not deep business anyway). You go through a period of:
(a) investment(pumping all your resources in),
(b) stability (reducing financial input but no profit),
(c) Break-even (zero financial input but still no profit! grin )
(d) and then profit starts building up slowly.

Most businesses "die" between stages 'a' and 'b'. This is when they need Govt/Agency support to survive. This is how it is done in "saner climes' so the self employment can survive. Some even help you to pay the salaries of your employees during this period.

We cannot put the cart before the horse! Our "Leaders" travel to Western countries and they see and know how it is done. Let them not just learn how to copy "tax regime" from these oyinbo countries, they must also copy their 'business and social reforms' as well.

My Take.

Lastpage.

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 10:52pm On Jun 06, 2013
ChiefS: IT IS NOT TRUE.This is probably an exaggeration.The truth is that there is a dearth of PhD holders.Anybody with a PhD and knows what he is doing will definitely get a job in the academia or research institutes.
There are so many new federal and state universities in need of PhD holders.What about Private universities?Except the person is not ready to leave Lagos to other parts of the country.
come yankee,come see how some phd holders dey collect food stamps from the system,the economy is bad almost everywhere

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 11:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
saxywale:
I have met a Nigerian PhD holder in chemistry from the university of manchester working at "I'm loving it".
His case would have been different if he was a national of the EU.
no mind this people wey think say because dem get phd and all these pseudo-degrees,say dem don get meal ticket or job security,it all falls back to the state of the economy
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 11:12pm On Jun 06, 2013
c++_crazy:
chai!!! Like seriously am really scared with all this unemployment and bad news flying around. I really want to get married to my girlfriend but If I have no money or still hustling, I can't go on wid d plans cos i wouldn't want to make a mockery of myself by subjecting her to pains of not having wat ever she wants and I may die if I loose this girl cos as time goes on, she'll like to get married and if I don't show seriousness, i wouldn't blame her for leaving me but it'l really kill me.
a man has to provide for his wife o,if you are not capable then its best you wait till you are financially stable,however a woman should assist her husband too,thats why she's called help-meet
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 11:17pm On Jun 06, 2013
omotayos01:
huh! Lier
not liaring,it is happening i have witnessed one personally
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 11:24pm On Jun 06, 2013
nwanna89: Car washers in abuja make six thousand naira per day. But of course we nigerian graduates love fancy jobs where we get paid only 25 thousand naira per month
omo if i dey naija i go do am o with the state of that economy,people dey wash car for 7 dollars and hour,i'd say $50 dollars a day after taxes
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Lekmosh(m): 11:30pm On Jun 06, 2013
Gosh,It really is sad!God Help Us
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nateboijones: 11:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
touch_me_hard: While u agree that there is unemployment in the land, i still have my reservations about these PhD and MSc holders in question.
Those could probably be those type of Msc and PhD holders who cannot defend their certificates. When you interact with some of them, or engage them in intellectual discussions or read what they've written, you begin to wonder what type of school they went to. Which goal-driven organization would want to employ them?
Sometime when you attend interviews, you see some graduates not putting in enough effort during the interview to convince the recruiters that they are the right candidates for the job.
Their countenance just appears helpless and at the mercy of the recruiters, looking as if they are begging for the job. At the end of the interview you hear them saying "pls Oga/Madam help me". All they know is "help help help!" Yet they haven't convinced the interviewers on why they should be recruited. They haven't placed on the interview table what they are bringing into the organization.
And yet you see the few that appear self-confident and knowledgeable during the interview, getting the job, why?
Because they put their foot on the ground and convince the interviewer that they have something upstairs, and therefore should be hired.
Let everybody look inwards and ask him/herself this crucial question "Am I employable?" "Can I contribute to the growth of a company".

Meanwhile, everybody may not be able to get a white-collar job. What happens to creativity and innovation? People with good business plans are getting financed through the Sure-P and YouWin programmes of this administration. People are out there benefiting, while others are just sitting down whining, just because they can't think!
I was liking your comment not until you mentioned "Sure-P and YouWin"!!! Anyways as regards what you've said,have you heardd of loss of interest or losing focus? Its real,we are not all the same physically,emotionally etc...
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by pretyprexy(f): 12:01am On Jun 07, 2013
Only God knows where Nigeria is going to...its obviously all man for himself
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by pretyprexy(f): 12:04am On Jun 07, 2013
trolling: a man has to provide for his wife o,if you are not capable then its best you wait till you are financially stable,however a woman should assist her husband too,thats why she's called help-meet
Kinda true...
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 12:46am On Jun 07, 2013
pretyprexy:
dear its advisable you are know you are capable b4 u enter into marriage..
which kain grammar be this,aha,aha
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 2:20am On Jun 07, 2013
trolling: which kain grammar be this,aha,aha
don't tackle her, i got her message loud and clear. U made ur own grammatical blunder but no one came after you, it may not have been as a result of her grammatical prowess but might have been a typo something. U meant help-mate but wrote help meet, but I understood U and I appreciate but still might rob a bank or even kidnap if the necessity arises when the time arises, just can't contemplate not marrying dat girl and providing 4 her.

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by trolling(m): 3:51am On Jun 07, 2013
c++_crazy:
don't tackle her, i got her message loud and clear. U made ur own grammatical blunder but no one came after you, it may not have been as a result of her grammatical prowess but might have been a typo something. U meant help-mate but wrote help meet, but I understood U and I appreciate but still might rob a bank or even kidnap if the necessity arises when the time arises, just can't contemplate not marrying dat girl and providing 4 her.
help-meet and help mate is the same,if u must commit all those atrocities,it shows how insecure you are,im appalled that you'd spit those gibberish out of mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria / NJC Panel: Onnoghen's Response And Brief / Buhari Meets APC Governors At Villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.