Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,541 members, 7,819,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? (1246 Views)

Most Youths Of This Generation Lack Self Control / I Lack Self-confidence. Why? / Many Gals Lack Self-respect... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 07, 2013
Why?
I say this ofcourse, in terms of our materialistic nature.
Materialism is in itself, a symptom of low self esteem.
The feeling that You as a person, are not enough and cannot be respected until you have X.
That another, as a person, is not enough and cannot be respected until they have X.

X could be anything, even a title.

E.g When I browse through LinkedIn, I am almost certain that the person you see with Engr. in front of their name is bound to be a Nigerian. There is a simplicity from western culture that I envy. A quiet understanding that "I am enough and no less a human whether I have X or not" and it is little wonder that they make better headway with life than the boistrous Nigerians. Sometimes I think the universe watches and laughs at our pettiness.

In western culture, people who do this are often seen as juveniles, still finding themselves. Still young in their journey of self discovery. Generally, they are seen as people who aren't there yet...and it's true. Where-as, in Nigeria (and maybe ethnic blacks in general?), it is the very opposite.

i.e. You are no-body unless you pose with a BMW and point at the sign grin
Like... seriously? cheesy You know who you are wink

NB: I am quite well-to-do [Glory be to God] so this is not some broke guy whining. Just encouraging introspection among my brothers and sisters. It is my hope that getting to the root of this would help us rise against the extreme greed present in our society today.....because everyone feels they are not enough.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Afam4eva(m): 8:34pm On Jun 07, 2013
It's because we have our value system twisted. You can't really blame Nigerians for behaving like this because our system respects titles as against what you have upstairs. So, to go far, you need to keep shouting Chief, Doctor, Reverend, Pastor, Honorable for everyone to hear.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by freecocoa(f): 10:56pm On Jun 07, 2013
2buff, wetin dey worry you lately?

So if I'm an engr, I shouldn't attach that to my name so you'll know I have self confidence? As if no be onyibo people first start am.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2013
freecocoa: 2buff, wetin dey worry you lately?

So if I'm an engr, I shouldn't attach that to my name so you'll know I have self confidence? As if no be onyibo people first start am.

Really? Which Oyinbo? Maybe the western ones act differently from the ones in the east?
Most Oyinbo I see here could have all the quals in the world, but they will still prefer their names.
And they will wear shokoto join. You won't know what they are until they tell you. They take pride in their simplicity.

I admire that lifestyle. It behooves everyone to treat everyone with respect.

Whereas black folk, mcheeww. If them knack small money like dis the first thing is to show the world that "Look O I have money. Please respect me now!" lol. My people sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 07, 2013
Buffy Let it be on record that not every Nigerian is engulfed in this Insecurity thing. You'd be playing out a big deal of Inductive reasoning by thinking every Nigerian Is into the act.

Yeah, Materialism and Low self has got a correlationship, Its more like the higher the Self esteem the lower the materialism and the other way round.
I'd blame some Parents for the menace Sha. Studies has proven that a Child who's got emotionally supportive parents would develop a healthy self esteem thereby, turning out to be Less materialistic.

We're in a society where the parents dont give a heck about how their Kids feel, what they want and what they detaste. Where Choices are imposed on Kids clearly against their wishes - The downside Is one thing 'Insecurity'.

So here's my stand, hell lots of Nigerian parents have to wake up and be Parents and save the nation Loads of Low self esteemed Niggers.

My Parents are a testimony, am proud of them - I Can actually stay On this Forum for 10years without letting out to y'all that am the King of Our town - Just goin' by the El Guapo username not having a Prefix 'HRH' shiit! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by MrCork: 11:42pm On Jun 07, 2013
2buff: Why?
The feeling that You as a person, are not enough and cannot be respected until you have X.
That another, as a person, is not enough and cannot be respected until they have X.

E.g When I browse through LinkedIn, I am almost certain that the person you see with Engr. in front of their name is bound to be a Nigerian. There is a simplicity from western culture that I envy. A quiet understanding that "I am enough and no less a human whether I have X or not" and it is little wonder that they make better headway with life than the boistrous Nigerians. Sometimes I think the universe watches and laughs at our pettiness.

People of other cultures who do this are often seen as juveniles, still finding themselves. Still young in their journey of self discovery. Generally, they are seen as people who aren't there yet...and it's true. Where-as, in Nigeria (and maybe ethnic blacks in general?), it is the very opposite.

NB: I am quite well-to-do [Glory be to God] so this is not some broke guy whining. Just encouraging introspection among my brothers and sisters. It is my hope that getting to the root of this would help us rise against the extreme greed present in our society today.....because everyone feels they are not enough.

....yes we agree...Homebased Nigerians normaly lak low selfesteeem.....nots sure if it has sumtin wit the way the look (no oofeoise) angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Nobody: 4:53am On Jun 08, 2013
2buff:

Really? Which Oyinbo? Maybe the western ones act differently from the ones in the east?
Most Oyinbo I see here could have all the quals in the world, but they will still prefer their names.
And they will wear shokoto join. You won't know what they are until they tell you. They take pride in their simplicity.

I admire that lifestyle. It behooves everyone to treat everyone with respect.

Whereas black folk, mcheeww. If them knack small money like dis the first thing is to show the world that "Look O I have money. Please respect me now!" lol. My people sha.
Eh, leave them let them continue. They worked hard for it and the system they had to go through to reach that level of title no be beans, compare it to the US where studying medicine is easier than studying medicine here in 9ja then you would understand better.
The fact is, they are still coming up and understanding, nwantinti oge, okomoko ahu niile apuo..vanity upon vanity? =
Leave them let them realize it themselves. Right now it is flexing time.
Omoba flex with your title o, to b renowned Doc for 9ja no b beans.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:01am On Jun 08, 2013
2buff: Why?

In western culture, people who do this are often seen as juveniles, still finding themselves. Still young in their journey of self discovery. Generally, they are seen as people who aren't there yet...and it's true. Where-as, in Nigeria (and maybe ethnic blacks in general?), it is the very opposite.

ha! bros, u can lie oooooo!!!

Tell me, do u watch documentaries at all? Tell me u dnt see titles wen oyinbo write their names Bros, why the nigerian stereotyping na? Dem swear for u?

And who said it's low self esteem dt make u wanna get all dude up before u got respected? Te world made it so. U got cash, u got recognition! It's all over!

And if u dnt get d cash, u gotta be so well stable. That is d world and not a nigerian thing, ok?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Ilekokonit: 4:50am On Oct 31, 2014
2buff:
Why?

Same reason a LOT of women are still single into their 40's because they were looking for "already made" men.

They forget that there are not enough "already made men" to go around the hordes of single women around.

What happened to the tried and tested method of loving for loves sake and not because he has or hasn't got money.

A Nigerian womans definition of a knight in shining armour boils down to money, money, money.

our men are equally materialistic but it doesn't affect their choice of spouse as most naija men would date a woman who is poor but a naija woman wouldn't and they forget that money is temporal and does not speak of a mans good characters at all.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Lack Self-esteem? by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 31, 2014
I will completely like to agree with you that most of us have a problem with self image and self esteem.
We do not believe in ourselves.
We are ostentatious and extravagant.
We like to oppress and show power and riches as a form of superiority over one another.
In fact people don't like some jobs because they believe it is degrading.
You want to live in a flat when you can only afford the first year.
You are sad you don't own a vehicle at 28.
We attach so much importance to vain things and yes we are very very petty.
The reasons for all these disconnect between Ethnic blacks and the westerners is because:

1) Emphasis on respect in a wrong way as found in our culture. Children get suppressed and they are told they do not make sense when elderly people are talking.
2) We are abusive and we condescend one another and this makes people to begin to doubt their abilities.
3) The lack of freedom to express that our children don't have at home and at school. Etc

Generally it all begins from childhood. Our importance to what to wear to this occasion or that. The different materials we pick for ceremony.
The mindset that I must look better than my cousin. The competition mentality, the you are not worth anything if you don't have material things mentality amongst others.

They begin to place more value on properties and titles etc rather than on "self".

(1) (Reply)

5 Unconsidered Facts Why Long Distance Relationships Usually Do Not Work. / A Candid Advice For The Ladies / How Do You Tell Her She's Getting Fat??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.