Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Pagan9ja - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pagan9ja (9585 Views)

Where Is Pagan9ja / Occupy Nairaland: Free Pagan9ja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

yes to an extent. but its not so much these days.

Humm ,okay.
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
fellis:

Ok, thank you for telling me that tongue tongue tongue grin

Sorry, I couldn't resist grin
Alright enough of the thanking

wink

I understand what your trying to say, however, the masquerade costume, has to be the type that the Gods approve of. It cannot be used if the gods don't like it not so? For instance it has to be a decent costume costume assuming the gods are the type that ordain decent dressing for all occaisions or for religious festivals. In the end, that costume even though its origins are cultural or if it originated from the people, its usage would be determined by the god's stance. If they complain about it then it is changed, if they say nothing or if they don't complain then the people use it cos they assume their god's silence signifies approval.

Yes it has to be decent in line with the customs of the people. Generally the costumes we use are the same that were put in place 1000s of years back with maybe slight modifications. Yes I'spose you are right.

I have never come across much cases as of such, so I cant speak much on it. But I think you are right in that.

However these are related to the religous customs'/cultures, not secular ones.

I can't give such an example, that's why I said cultures and religion go hand in hand.

yes as of those related to the religion. Hwoever you gave me something to think about. It might be so that the customs of an ethnic group were already set in line with the religion. we dont know exactly. it happened 1000s of years ago.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jun 11, 2013
onila: shocked shocked

Yr democratic elected rulers or yr traditional rulers?

if traditional rulers then I am disappointed

traditional rulers protect our cultural heritage n epitomize our heritage

in south south and east Nigeria

its our current day pastors that are preaching against masquerades
saying we are going to be possessed by demons and evil spirits if we watch them tongue

masquerades are stupid, IMHO.
This is hilarious, lol @ being possessed by demons lmao
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
onila: shocked shocked

Yr democratic elected rulers or yr traditional rulers?

if traditional rulers then I am disappointed

traditional rulers protect our cultural heritage n epitomize our heritage

in south south and east Nigeria

its our current day pastors that are preaching against masquerades
saying we are going to be possessed by demons and evil spirits if we watch them tongue

Traditional Rulers.

a couple of years ago, Sarkin Abuja (Suleja) outlawed some masquerades and traditional co.ck tail holding (which is part of traditional Hausa marriage ritual), etc., on the occasion of the mass State sponsored weddings and other such dances and practices.

His explanation was this "Now I have a better understanding of islam".

Im not even making this up. I swear by Lord Dogon Daji, this is what he said.
Re: Pagan9ja by onila(f): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

masquerades are stupid, IMHO.
This is hilarious, lol @ being possessed by demons lmao

thats because u dont have them in that yr beti tribe

its fun

some have nice dance moves and get to chase you ard town

Nigerian masquerades have swag mehn. masquerades in Africa originated from Nigeria tongue
Re: Pagan9ja by onila(f): 11:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Traditional Rulers.

a couple of years ago, Sarkin Abuja (Suleja) outlawed some masquerades and traditional co.ck tail holding (which is part of traditional Hausa marriage ritual), etc., on the occasion of the mass State sponsored weddings and other such dances and practices.

His explanation was this "Now I have a better understanding of islam".

Im not even making this up. I swear by Lord Dogon Daji, this is what he said.

in igboland and southern Nigeria

you cant be a traditional ruler, if you dont support masquerades or important cultural practices

I guess islam has taken over in the North
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
onila:

its fun

Nigerian masquerades have swag mehn. masquerades in Africa originated from Nigeria tongue

I agree Nigerians are the best. However there was one awesome one from somewhere in Mali. I lost the video. it was like he was floating in air.
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
onila:

in igboland and southern Nigeria

you cant be a traditional ruler, if you dont support masquerades or important cultural practices

I guess islam has taken over in the North

True. thats one good thing about SE SW.

However our Sarkin Daura and Sarkin Argungu are very supportive of Hausa cultures and religion. Afterall, they are descendants of Bayanjidda.

Sultan Sokoto is completely islamic. his drubars are mostly displaying FUlani cavalry, drums and Bororo/Fulani Cattleherder regalia thinz.
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
I found one of Tyi Wara in Mali. this is not the one i talked about.

This is about Bambara farmers worshiping the god of harvests. Its famous.

today they are muslims though.

THe motions of the mask dancers represent the ploughing of the fields and the union of the male and female antelopes is for fertility.

I like these old videos from colonial times. smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hailQwhA_7U
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 2:36am On Jun 12, 2013
onila:

its fun

nothing to do with that, I just don't find ugly looking masks and people with dirty clothes funny, I don't see the fun, I mean we ain't toddlers.c'Mon what's funny there?
Lol @ masquerades come from Nigeria
Re: Pagan9ja by deols(f): 10:19am On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

God reveled it to me. Are you saying Mohamed knew about Islam before his pseudo revelation? And I know more than you do about Bwiti so don't worry for me, how many times should we tell you, that paganism is not centralized?

dont tell me uv bn seeing things. You may be suffering from psychosis.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 12, 2013
deols:

dont tell me uv bn seeing things. You may be suffering from psychosis.
and you are suffering from inferiority complex, Arab slave/worshipper wink
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 12, 2013
fellis:
Girls were more vulnerable in the past where weapons for self defence were not as sophisticated as they are today. Pen knives, pepper spray and for females over 18, fire arms.

what about countries were weapons,guns are prohibited?
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 12, 2013
[quote author=fellis]

So Cameroonpride, I am curious, why do you think God opened your mind?
Zamba opened my mind, because he's the truth and knows the truth, he knew I was on the wrong path and didn't want me to suffer anymore, so he decided to open my eyes/mind to save me

How did you know he was the one telling you paganism was true path?
my God is not the deceiving type, he's the one telling me that because he exposed the fake religions, he made me think logically about what I was doing. Only a powerful God the true God can make you leave something like Christianity. So I know it was him

How are you sure it was Going these things and not just your intuition/gut feeling
humans call it intuition or logic but for me it was the message of God, the true revelation. This is the story of my life but it has to be told: I was a good catholic, leading prayers, did all my sacraments, collecting and giving money to the church. Bringing new followers, I did all that for that fake God and his son Jesus. But the day I asked something to the abrahamic God he didn't answer my prayers. I don't think the for what I was praying is required. But his failure showed me that that God doesn't represent me, doesn't represent my identity, then the true one comes to me and show me how and why I have been deceived, how wrong I was to worship someone/something that has been forced on us, something that justified slavery and the killings of my people. Then I went to Europe(God sent), see me empty churches. So I asked myself why do wee keep following this when the people who created it are not interested anymore. I see how African are treated in both religions , can a true Christian or true Muslim b racist? Why do they hate so much? Yet they want to call us Christian or Muslim, why is that an African will never b a pope? Why is that I have to go in Arab land to be a respected Muslim? Yet even there we are still called monkey,etc? My God never encouraged slavery, is not racist,my God doesn't fight and doesn't ask me to fight for him. Etc
If you have more questions go ahead

1 Like

Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

what about countries were weapons,guns are prohibited?
I have never heard of a country where it is prohibited to carry a pocket knife. If they cannot carry guns then they can carry pocket knives or pepperspray or rape whistle.
I don't even know what type of vulnerabilty you are saying girls have, men can also be vulnerable for heaven's sake. They can get robbed/mugged or murdered.
The best thing to do is advice your female children (and male children) to avoid lonely places and to avoid parts of the town where crime or violence is rampant.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 12, 2013
fellis:
I have never heard of a country where it is prohibited to carry a pocket knife. If they cannot carry guns then they can carry pocket knives or pepperspray or rape whistle.
I don't even know what type of vulnerabilty you are saying girls have, men can also be vulnerable for heaven's sake. They can get robbed/mugged or murdered.
The best thing to do is advice your female children (and male children) to avoid lonely places and to avoid parts of the town where crime or violence is rampant.
I didn't say men are not vulnerable, I said girls are more vulnerable. can you fight a man? What if they are a gang? Is your pepper spray going to b enough?
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 12, 2013
[i] I don't know for sure but I think knives are forbidden don't know if the pocket type are also forbidden,but come to think of it ,can you protect yourself with a pocket knife? Also can you kill someone?[i]
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: humans call it intuition or logic but for me it was the message of God, the true revelation. This is the story of my life but it has to be told: I was a good catholic, leading prayers, did all my sacraments, collecting and giving money to the church. Bringing new followers, I did all that for that fake God and his son Jesus. But the day I asked something to the abrahamic God he didn't answer my prayers. I don't think the for what I was praying is required. But his failure showed me that that God doesn't represent me, doesn't represent my identity, then the true one comes to me and show me how and why I have been deceived, how wrong I was to worship someone/something that has been forced on us, something that justified slavery and the killings of my people. Then I went to Europe(God sent), see me empty churches. So I asked myself why do wee keep following this when the people who created it are not interested anymore. I see how African are treated in both religions , can a true Christian or true Muslim b racist? Why do they hate so much? Yet they want to call us Christian or Muslim, why is that an African will never b a pope? Why is that I have to go in Arab land to be a respected Muslim? Yet even there we are still called monkey,etc? My God never encouraged slavery, is not racist,my God doesn't fight and doesn't ask me to fight for him. Etc
If you have more questions go ahead

The reasons you stated above have been stated by many atheists as the reasons why they left christianity and islam, ie the slave trading and racism etc. The only difference between you and the atheists is that they credit their realisation to logic, ie they say they drew a logical conclusion that god cannot be racist or endorse slavery. But you say it wasn't a logical realisation for you, you say Zamba did it. The thing is, how do you tell the difference between logical realisations and revelations from Zamba? I am sure you would say those atheists were not guided by Zamba but by their logic. I just want to know what is the diatinguishing characteristic between something you figured out with your brain and something Zamba showed you.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 12, 2013
fellis:

I don't think criminals/crimes follow this logic , you can be assaulted everywhere and by everyone, so the best thing to me is to protect the most vulnerable.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:
I didn't say men are not vulnerable, I said girls are more vulnerable. can you fight a man? What if they are a gang? Is your pepper spray going to b enough?
With adequate advice about how to avoid dangerous parts of the town and with the provision of the weapons I spoke of before, girls would not be more vulnerable than boys.
As for your pepperspray question: if a girl is attacked by a gang she will not be able to fight them off just he way a boy will not be able to fight them off. So if gangs are what you are afraid of then you should provide the same rules for both boys and girls because neither of them can fight off gangs on their own.

1 Like

Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I don't think criminals/crimes follow this logic , you can be assaulted everywhere and by everyone, so the best thing to me is to protect the most vulnerable.

You can be attacked anywhere but for heaven's sake there are places where there is lowest chance of being atacked. and like I said before, they should be provided with weapons to protect themselves and then there'd be no problem.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 12, 2013
[
CAMEROONPRIDE: [i] I don't know for sure but I think knives are forbidden don't know if the pocket type are also forbidden,but come to think of it ,can you protect yourself with a pocket knife? Also can you kill someone?[i]
For heavens sake! Are you really asking me if you can protect yourself with a pocket knife? I am starting to get the feeling you are just asking me questions because you don't want to agree with me, not because you actually have any sensible questions
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:44pm On Jun 12, 2013
IMHO all these r.apes and gang rapes within established communities are all recent things. it was not so in the past, and was very rare. these things have increased recently.

people have lost their self-respect, respect for women, pride, culture, dignity ,etc.

The only place where this is not so is surprisingly in the Gulf Arab world, even though its muslim. Im referring to the nations of UAE, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and Yemen.

Tribal culture is very strong in these areas.
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:47pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

nothing to do with that, I just don't find ugly looking masks and people with dirty clothes funny, I don't see the fun, I mean we ain't toddlers.c'Mon what's funny there?
Lol @ masquerades come from Nigeria

Its not supposed to be just for entertainment. Its worship through dance and music. its culture. its one way of worship.

comon they are beautiful. you have never seen them live in my opinion. Check out some videos. but you cant compare that to being actuall there.

These days the masks used fetch millions of dollar in the oyinbo market.

Its all about aesthetics and art and spirituality.
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
ofcourse these days the role of masquerades in many areas has been undermined a bit and has become like entertainment.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 12, 2013
[quote author=fellis]

The reasons you stated above have been stated by many atheists as the reasons why they left christianity and islam, ie the slave trading and racism etc
I'm not atheist, I went back to my traditional religion.
The only difference between you and the atheists is that they credit their realisation to logic, ie they say they drew a logical conclusion that god cannot be racist or endorse slavery. But you say it wasn't a logical realisation for you, you say Zamba did it
you should have saidthe only difference between atheist and us.
The thing is, how do you tell the difference between logical realisations and revelations from Zamba? I am sure you would say those atheists were not guided by Zamba but by their logic. I just want to know what is the diatinguishing characteristic between something you figured out with your brain and something Zamba showed you
Zamba is spiritual , omniscient,omnipresent, omnipotent he doesn't come from a human, hasn't been created, no one is equal to him, he's beyond and above anyone. He's the unique, the only one deserving to b adored/worshiped , he's the master of universe, the creator of all life. The distinguish characteristic is simple, I'm not atheist I believe in God.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Its not supposed to be just for entertainment. Its worship through dance and music. its culture. its one way of worship.

comon they are beautiful. you have never seen them live in my opinion. Check out some videos. but you cant compare that to being actuall there.

These days the masks used fetch millions of dollar in the oyinbo market.

Its all about aesthetics and art and spirituality.

Humm
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
fellis:
[
For heavens sake! Are you really asking me if you can protect yourself with a pocket knife? I am starting to get the feeling you are just asking me questions because you don't want to agree with me, not because you actually have any sensible questions

, well what do you mean by sensible questions? Maybe we don't have the same image of pocket knife. Anyway I don't agree with you. So let's stop here. I think women are most vulnerable.there's a reason why we have more women raped or assaulted.
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: . The distinguish characteristic is simple, I'm not atheist I believe in God
I meant what is the difference between something you thought in your mind, of your own volition, and something Zamba told you. For instance if you discover something surprising how will you tell if that something was revealed by Zamba or if it was your mind doing the thinking.
Re: Pagan9ja by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:06pm On Jun 12, 2013
The Dogon have one of the best Spirit Dances (I think this is a more appropriate term than masquerade. masquerade sounds like a circus act. possibly labelled by christians/ colonial observers).

They narrate entire stories with 1 set of dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whAY9R-_7ac
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 12, 2013
fellis:

You can be attacked anywhere but for heaven's sake there are places where there is lowest chance of being atacked. and like I said before, they should be provided with weapons to protect themselves and then there'd be no problem.
it doesn't change what I said, so being focused on a special area will do more harm than good and is literally pointless.
Can you kill someone? What if someone comes from behind to ask you something? Will you always carry the pepper spray in your hand? If yes do you instantly pour it on him or you wait he assaults you first? If you wait at what time do you take the spray/weapon? What if you mistakenly kill someone? And I know what I'm talking about I almost got punched? And my bro almost shot someone. Have u ever carried a gun sef?
Re: Pagan9ja by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

, well what do you mean by sensible questions? Maybe we don't have the same image of pocket knife.
There isn't any special type of image. A sharp pocket knife can be used to inflict injuries on an attackers vulnerable body part like their eye or neck and the girl can run away after stabbing him or killing him as the case may be if she hits his jogular vien.
Anyway I don't agree with you. So let's stop here. I think women are most vulnerable.there's a reason why we have more women raped or assaulted.
The practice of women carrying weapons of self defence is not widespread yet. When it becomes common place then women will no longer be vulnerable smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Callotti's NL. . .Public PM. NO E-MAILS!!! Please, Feel Free Here, / Obafemi Awolowo: Nigeria Is Not A Nation. It Is A Mere Geographical Expression.. / N500k Each To Be Paid To Families Of Policemen Killed On Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.