Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,179 members, 7,957,407 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:09 PM

What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (60213 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / What Does The Bible Say About Sex Before Marriage? / What The Bible Say About Sports! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by naijaboyof4life(m): 12:22am On Jun 19, 2013
frosbel:

Has nothing to do with culture, there are men's trousers and there are women's trousers, there are men's skirts and there are women's skirts, there is indecent dressing and there is modest dressing.

Our business is not to set rules for believers.

that is deception of satan. I knew you will reply with men trousers and women trousers.
The making a female version of what is made for the man and vice versa is the deception of the devil. In the english country, Trousers was made for men and skirt for women. In ireland they made kilts for men and something else for the women. Jews had a special robe for men and another type for the women, they had different names but I forgot. It is the deception of satan that will tell people that we can have a male version or female version of something that was made for a particular sex. Sir, I ask you do you support men wearing skirt and if a men version of skirt is made will you support wearing it. Make-up, weave, earring is wrong.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by trolling(m): 12:23am On Jun 19, 2013
let me just clarify this controversy about trousers, any fabric with two "legs" is a trouser,so yall can go ahead and keep rationalizing it, trousers belongs to men,its a man's clothing
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by alexleo(m): 12:34am On Jun 19, 2013
Nkemsplendid:

Sin seems to be a relative matter when it comes to believers of the 21st century. Men of God will find interesting ways of twisting bible verses till they justify their teachings on what is and what is not a sin. It has been a most painful part of my ministry as a pharmacist married to a paediatrician to watch children of God die because they would not take their medication, because they were told by pastors that accepting a surgical procedure was a sign that they trust the ultra sound report more than the Lord. They keep impressing these opinions on brethren who are at a vulnerable period of their lives until the patient is full of guilt for even being in the hospital. God has used us to reach a lot of such people, parents who would rather watch their children die than allow a blood transfusion, husbands that refuse a bleeding wife a transfusion on the operating table, I think the most common would be the women who refuse a ceaserian section in cases of complicated births... the list is endless. Spicymimi I can understand why you are confused that some denominations can actually ask people not to seek medical attention when they need it, but it is real and unfortunate. As for the trouser and makeup story, seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all other things shall be added unto you... including a clear revelation on how to live your life, how to respond to fellow humans etc. You can seek him my sister by praying and meditating on his word. Many Nigerian christians today are giving in to laziness and using spiritual mercenaries to write the JAMB of heaven. It won't work. Get to know God for your self my sister, when you do it will be a sweet relationship. One that will turn you into a beautiful, pleasant lady that everyone will like to reckon with. Matt 5:16. God's grace to you my dear.

yeah some penticostal churches do what you have said these days when there is a health issue(especially those of them that do miracle crusade here and there) but what role are you playing to sensitize them on the need to accept the medical process? You know Nigerians have this general response "its not my portion" when they are having health issues and are being told to seek medical attention.
Again you also know that the poverty in the land and the high cost of quality medication here in most cases contributes to the rejection of medication not neccessarily that pastors are intimidating anybody. They ll prefer going through only prayers because they feel it will cost them much less or even nothing, depending on the church or prayer house the person is visiting for prayers. Heaping blames upon blames on pastors is not fair enough. Am not a pastor and nothing concerns me o. I take medication when i want to and when i dont feel like, i go on prayers and definitely not because of money but just that i must not also be a slave to medication. it has been working for me too. All am saying is that the Nigerian factor is also playing a role in this case being that a Nigerian may want to cover lack of money for medication with prayer house and all that in some cases. Thanks
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by alexleo(m): 12:45am On Jun 19, 2013
frosbel:

Thank you so much for this piece, I was almost a victim to this same teaching and was hours away from death according to my parent who talked with the doctor. At this time I was still a young 18 year old undergraduate.

I was in such a bad shape, that I ended up vomiting bile , could not eat , was like a famine struck victim and at a point could not communicate effectively .

The church leaders kept praying and never once recommended I take medicine until my uncle begged and begged me to accept help which I did.

I was rushed to the general hospital, some tests performed and admitted immediately in an emergency, stayed there for a week on drip and other drugs to regain health and vitality. Once recovered I fled away from that cult never even to go back there. Sorry for the horrific details of my experience.

Not many were fortunate like me. Many have died.

These churches prey on young students , the gullible and illiterates.

If we are led by the Spirit we will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh , but if we are led by MEN , which seems to be in the majority of cases today , we will end up performing a legalistic type of religion with no good fruits.

These are the same people that want to control how we dress, how we talk, where we go to , who we interact with etc.

My question to them is what happened to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Thanks.

And how about the penticostal churches that are doing the no medication thing but are also in support of your trouser teaching? Stop classifying what you dont understand.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 12:50am On Jun 19, 2013
trolling: let me just clarify this controversy about trousers, any fabric with two "legs" is a trouser,so yall can go ahead and keep rationalizing it, trousers belongs to men,its a man's clothing

Women have only 1 leg.

grin
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by naijaboyof4life(m): 3:26am On Jun 19, 2013
SpicyMimi:
thanks so much.

Actually, i ws kinda confused and still confused why going to the hospital should be a sin?

Honestly Frosbel got nothing to do with this, am just really more concerned about this. sad
No it is not but believing that the doctor will heal you is a sin. The woman with the issue of blood went to physicians and she wasn't condemned for that. There are things that the doctor cannot do but through prayer and faith and a non-sinful heart with the willingness of God(cause if God says He won't do anything, who can query Him?)all things are possible.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by pauladeshipo(m): 4:30am On Jun 19, 2013
deut 22.5
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 19, 2013
naijaboyof4life:
No it is not but believing that the doctor will heal you is a sin.

100% nonsense.

A Majority of Nigerian Christians have been so brainwashed , I honestly worry for them. How can you rightly divide the word of God when your church or pastor's doctrine takes precedence over the word of God ?

Why do we go to see doctors if not because they can heal our ailments ? What sort of fanaticism suggests that trusting in a doctor's expertise is a sin ? Who are you to determine what is or is not sin ?

Luke was a doctor , even Jesus said those who are healthy do not need a doctor inderpinning the importance of this profession even in times of antiquity.

You people need to start reading your bibles , asking God for wisdom and stop following men.

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 19, 2013
trolling: let me just clarify this controversy about trousers, any fabric with two "legs" is a trouser,so yall can go ahead and keep rationalizing it, trousers belongs to men,its a man's clothing

I disagree dear.

I think it is a figure of speech or a metaphor.
that women should not take on the role of men and vice versa.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 19, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trousers#Prehistory

Antiquity[edit]

Scythian archer. Interior from an Ancient Greek Attic red-figure plate, ca. 520–500 BC, from Vulci. British Museum, London.

Germanic trousers of the 4th century found in the Thorsberg moor, Germany
Trousers first enter recorded history in the 6th century BCE, with the appearance of horse-riding Iranian peoples in Greek ethnography. At this time, not only the Persians, but also allied Eastern and Central Asian peoples such as the Bactrians, Armenians, Tigraxauda Scythians and Xiongnu Hunnu, are known to have worn them.[5][6] Trousers are believed to have been worn by both sexes among these early users.

Although women had been wearing trousers for outdoor work thousands of years earlier in the Western world, by the time of Christianization it had become taboo for women to wear trousers

in other words it was just a simple way for people to cloth themselves in the ancient days.
misogynistic Christians are the ones who made it into a male vs. female thing.

I don't think God loves women any less for wearing pants.
FFs men in the ancient days work "skirts" or kilts lol. so it's about the roles and not so much the clothing. you can't take everything in the bible literally.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by alexleo(m): 8:41am On Jun 19, 2013
frosbel:

100% nonsense.

A Majority of Nigerian Christians have been so brainwashed , I honestly worry for them. How can you rightly divide the word of God when your church or pastor's doctrine takes precedence over the word of God ?

Why do we go to see doctors if not because they can heal our ailments ?

You are wrong. Healing comes from God through any medium- medication, prayers,herbs, dieting, excercise or any thing that God wants to use. Jesus used clay to heal a blind man, at another time he just spoke and another blind man was healed. In the old testament God healed through so many medium. The bottom line is that it is God that heals and whatever sickness he doesn't want to heal, go to any doctor you want, it will remain there. We have seen a lot of cases where some ailments defiled medications and the doctors still refered the people to prayer snd they were also healed. Some doctors will tell you that they only care but healing comes from God. Stop limiting God with your brain. Study the bible through the Holy Spirit sir.

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by trolling(m): 8:43am On Jun 19, 2013
*Kails*:

I disagree dear.

I think it is a figure of speech or a metaphor.
that women should not take on the role of men and vice versa.
who cares what you think, you shall not wear or a woman shall not wear a man's clothing isn't figurative or metaphoric, keep exposing your ass to everybody, He said He will discover their secret parts anyways there they go rationalizing Yah's word just to disobey it, daughters of Zion wore gowns don't know about you people
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 19, 2013
alexleo:

You are wrong. Healing comes from God through any medium- medication, prayers,herbs, dieting, excercise or any thing that God wants to use. Jesus used clay to heal a blind man, at another time he just spoke and another blind man was healed. In the old testament God healed through so many medium. The bottom line is that it is God that heals and whatever sickness he doesn't want to heal, go to any doctor you want, it will remain there. We have seen a lot of cases where some ailments defiled medications and the doctors still refered the people to prayer snd they were also healed. Some doctors will tell you that they only care but healing comes from God. Stop limiting God with your brain. Study the bible through the Holy Spirit sir.

First of all , we can say that GOD gave MEN a brain for a purpose , to think, reason and apply logic.

A Doctor uses his God given ability plus hard work and experience to heal people , it has nothing to do with prayer or otherwise.

God has made us and asked us to govern this earth and use our abilities for positive outcomes, this is the essence of having a medical profession , to heal people.

Finally , I believe 100% that GOD heals no doubt I have experienced it, but to suggest that the attribution of healing to a Doctor is sin is plainly false.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Emmalexico(m): 3:21pm On Jun 19, 2013
frosbel:

Go and learn what the term CONTEXT means.
Ok but u read d scriptures?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 1:25am On Jun 20, 2013
naijaboyof4life:

Deuteronomy 22:5 "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this" You show that you lack understanding of the word of God. All what the bible is saying is that whatever that has being made for man cannot be worn by woman and whatsoever that has being made for a woman cannot be worn by man.

1. The picture looking like Jesus
Warning: Do not post picture that depict Jesus, that is idolatry.

Did I mention it that the picture is that of Jesus? I only showed you example of what is worn during those period.
Now back to the dressing in the days of Israel. They wore robes but even though in the old days everyone wore robes, the robes made for men were different than the robes made for women. Therefore, if a man were to wear a woman's robes (or vice versa) they would be in violation of the commandment that I quoted above.
I don't know what has beclouded some people that they use different standards for the same situations. Now you agree that the robes worn in the days of Jesus were worn by both males and females but they differ in style. Is that not the same thing for the trousers worn by males and females nowadays which differ in style? if you think trousers were only meant for men go to the market buy a female pair of trousers and wear it then, come back here to give testimony if people won't look at you like a new masquerade who just escaped from Yaba left.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Isiboy(m): 2:14am On Jun 20, 2013
I wonder y u all are arguing and tryin to prove points. U frosbel na u sabi pass o. Odaz stop wasting ur time.

@OP I don't mean to b rude, but if u haven't gotten an answer to ur question den somtin is wrong somewhere. Bye guys.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:42am On Jun 20, 2013
SpicyMimi:
thanks so much.

Actually, i ws kinda confused and still confused why going to the hospital should be a sin?

Honestly Frosbel got nothing to do with this, am just really more concerned about this. sad

Ignore the confusion and focus on what to put on. If the heart is pure the hands will be clean. Here is an edifying article that will go a long way in helping you decide what to put on.

What to Put On
June 19, 2013

"And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high" (Luke 24:49).

People give much attention to what material clothes they should put on, but the New Testament tells us what spiritual clothes to put on. First, we are to be "endued with" power from on high. This Greek word (enduo) is normally rendered "put on." That is, we are to put on power, and this is imparted only by the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8,), according to Christ's departing promise.

"Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. . . . put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof" (Romans 13:12, 14). "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ" (Galatians 3:27).

Along with this, we are to "put off concerning the former conversation the old man," and then to "put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness" (Ephesians 4:22, 24). Then we must "put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil" (Ephesians 6:11).

These items of spiritual clothing—the power of the Holy Spirit, the light of God's presence, the new man in Christ, the resurrection life of the indwelling Christ, His imputed righteousness and holiness and all our spiritual armor—provide the foundation clothing for beautiful spiritual jewels and accessories. "Ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: . . . Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; . . . And above all these things put on charity |love|" (Colossians 3:9-10, 12, 14). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 20, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Ignore the confusion and focus on what to put on. If the heart is pure the hands will be clean. Here is an edifying article that will go a long way in helping you decide what to put on.

Good advice but nothing to do with the sister's question.

Do not bring her under the bondage of your cultic teachings.

The key word is Modesty in all things not fanaticism.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by shdemidemi(m): 9:57am On Jun 20, 2013
people think they know what you can do and cannot do to please God..good advice is not good news. Which means they may sound proper to your ears but they are far from what God is really saying. Study, study, study.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 20, 2013
SpicyMimi: I know too much of anything is bad, and ve also accepted that wearing of Trousers is an abomination to God.
when that law was passed men didnt wear trouser...they wore garments undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
okay guys please lets be attentive now.
Pastor Kumuyis son got married lately to another pastors daughter in deeper life church. okay so, lets see what the marriage gowns looked like then we can conclude if make up is indeed sinful or not i will post the pics but lemme start first with a nairaland link. here we go http: https://www.nairaland.com/1331069/john-kumuyis-wedding-take#16353659

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by SpicyMimi(f): 5:50pm On Jun 20, 2013
Guitarlife: okay guys please lets be attentive now.
Pastor Kumuyis son got married lately to another pastors daughter in deeper life church. okay so, lets see what the marriage gowns looked like then we can conclude if make up is indeed sinful or not i will post the pics but lemme start first with a nairaland link. here we go http: https://www.nairaland.com/1331069/john-kumuyis-wedding-take#16353659
shocked shocked shocked
interesting! Maybe wearing make--ups aint a sin then!
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by emorse(m): 9:22am On Jun 21, 2013
So they have finally kept quiet?
Funny how a simple example of a man had such an effect on people when so many bible based examples were attacked so ferociously. Who do we worship? God or man?

SpicyMimi:
shocked shocked shocked

I'm a bit disappointed it took you this long to figure. Do not see men of God as more righteous than you are. They are humans just like you. And the bible states that the righteousness of man (including men of God) is like a filthy rag in God's sight. But it doesn't stop them from being men of God as our God is such a merciful man.
My point? Don't follow man's examples. Read your bible, pray and do whatever doesn't stir your God-conscious conscience. Enjoy your new relationship sister! Its not bondage.

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 21, 2013
since yesterday just two comments. where is the original poster gone ?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 21, 2013
emorse: So they have finally kept quiet?
Funny how a simple example of a man had such an effect on people when so many bible based examples were attacked so ferociously. Who do we worship? God or man?

I'm a bit disappointed it took you this long to figure. Do not see men of God as more righteous than you are. They are humans just like you. And the bible states that the righteousness of man (including men of God) is like a filthy rag in God's sight. But it doesn't stop them from being men of God as our God is such a merciful man.
My point? Don't follow man's examples. Read your bible, pray and do whatever doesn't stir your God-conscious conscience. Enjoy your new relationship sister! Its not bondage.

Spot on Bro.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 21, 2013
SpicyMimi:
shocked shocked shocked

well, what do you think ? grin

Again, it'a all about modesty , as Paul said :

"For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love." - Galatians 5:13

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Jun 21, 2013
SpicyMimi:
shocked shocked shocked

Watch this videoclip, it explains the church's position on what is the fundamental principles of the Kingdom life of faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4V0kKtxqo
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Watch this videoclip, it explains the church's position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4V0kKtxqo

We do not give a hoot about the deeperlife church's position, our model is Jesus Christ who truly leads the ONE and ONLY church aka Body of Christ, through the Holy Spirit and not through the doctrine, creeds, dogmas and tradition of MEN.

smiley
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by GoodBoi1(m): 11:54am On Jun 21, 2013
Hello, anybody here? The bible has two words for the similar subjects of controversies: SELF-IMPOSED RELIGION and FALSE HUMULITY.
Colossians 2:21 (21) Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle, (22 ) which all concern things which perish with using-according to the commandments and doctrines of men? (23) These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in SELF-IMPOSED RELIGION, FALSE HUMILITY, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

i.e. before trousers, men lust after women
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 21, 2013
Good Boi: Hello, anybody here? The bible has two words for the similar subjects of controversies: SELF-IMPOSED RELIGION and FALSE HUMULITY.
Colossians 2:21 (21) Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle, (22 ) which all concern things which perish with using-according to the commandments and doctrines of men? (23) These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in SELF-IMPOSED RELIGION, FALSE HUMILITY, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

i.e. before trousers, men lust after women

100% agree Bro.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:16pm On Jun 21, 2013
frosbel:

We do not give a hoot about the deeperlife church's position, our model is Jesus Christ who truly leads the ONE and ONLY church aka Body of Christ, through the Holy Spirit and not through the doctrine, creeds, dogmas and tradition of MEN.

smiley

Who are the "we" that you're referring to and who is addressing you? I know that you are do not give a hoot to the bible doctrines neither do you truly care about the body of Christ as you go about as your master, seeking for gullible and unsteady souls to devour.

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Who are the "we" that you're referring to and who is addressing you? I know that you are do not give a hoot to the bible doctrines neither do you truly care about the body of Christ as you go about as your master, seeking for gullible and unsteady souls to devour.

Are deeperlife doctrines 100% infallible bible doctrines ?

And who is really devouring souls ? Is it not MEN who instead of pointing others solely to Christ are making disciples for themselves , teaching for doctrines the commandments of MEN (Matthew 15:9).

and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them - Acts 20:30

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Igbo Boys In Malaysia Respond To Apostle Suleman's Tithe Sermon & Yahoo Boys / Daddy Freeze Replies Leke Adeboye On Farming And Trade By Barter / Bishop Oyedepo And His Wife Kneel Down As Pastor Adeboye Prays For Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.