Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour (14579 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Tinubu’s Daughter To Replace Abibatu Mogaji As New ‘iyaloja’? / Tinubu’s Mother, Abibat Mogaji Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by osymerga(m): 11:38am On Jun 18, 2013
Lagos Markets Shut-Down In Honour of Abibat Mogaji

All the markets in Lagos have been shut down today,in honour of Alhaja Abibat Mogaji and to commiserate with the Tinubu family.

Alhaja Abibat Mogaji was the mother of Aswaju Bola Tinubu, the former Governor of lagos State, and the Iyaloja of Lagos (Head/President General of Lagos market women/men Association)

How is market activities in your area ?
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by musiwa24: 11:44am On Jun 18, 2013
how is shuting down the market commiserate tinubu family. It is not commiserate her.. It is Yoruba tradition to shut down market when the leader of the market women dies.. When if the name of the market leader was Oladada.. they will shut it down..it as nothing to do with Tinubu. But more of Yoruba tradition.

but some may refuse because of tinubu.

18 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by KGB2008: 11:47am On Jun 18, 2013
Rubish.Went out this morning to get some Tomatoes and Vegetable and every where was locked up.This is bullshit.Eko-Ille and co,please explain cool

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by dridowu: 11:53am On Jun 18, 2013
Ds hapins normally when a market leader dies. So Tinubu no talk say make dy klose market ooooooooooooo.
Rumor Mongers beware

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 18, 2013
the mods should modify the topic. As its no longer just in lagos. I stay in akute, a border town to lagos state.
But my problem is with these hungry local govt officials or council. we were made to understand dat only the market are to be closed. But now today, this council pple came out en masse, seizing goods from
shop owners, locking shops, (you'd have to pay 2k or thereabout to them to have it opened). My mumsy's shop is not even in the market, but the roadside and her shop was almost locked.
Infact what is the council's business with the death of iyaloja?? if anybody has the discretion to do this thing it has to be the association of the market pple or whatever its called. These pple are corrupt hungry fools

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by musiwa24: 11:57am On Jun 18, 2013
first of all.. If she is not your own market leader. you dont need to close your market. It is only the market , that she is leader off. Lagos have many market leaders... I think she was in cosmos. so they need to close cosmos up. they cant close down the who of lagos market. but only cosmos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 18, 2013
musiwa24: how is shuting down the market commiserate tinubu family. It is not commiserate her.. It is Yoruba tradition to shut down market when the leader of the market women dies.. When if the name of the market leader was Oladada.. they will shut it down..it as nothing to do with Tinubu. But more of Yoruba tradition.

Am proud to announce that this is the most sensible comment coming from my egbon since I joined NL....

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by KGB2008: 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
@ Musiwa,then this the first Market Leader that died in Lagos.I have reside in Lagos for over 15 years and market has never been shut down for any of those reason?A 97 years woman ? shocked
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by musiwa24: 12:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
they can only close down all of lagos market if the oba dies or kings, and not all market for a market leader.. only where she was.

she is not the oba . they only do that if the oba of lagos die. only an oba is given that respect. she is not an oba or king. they dont do that in Yoruba culture.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Desola(f): 12:46pm On Jun 18, 2013
Shebi Alaba and Ladipo are open.
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by omonnakoda: 1:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
musiwa24: how is shuting down the market commiserate tinubu family. It is not commiserate her.. It is Yoruba tradition to shut down market when the leader of the market women dies.. When if the name of the market leader was Oladada.. they will shut it down..it as nothing to do with Tinubu. But more of Yoruba tradition.

There is Nothing Yoruba about this ? Can you tell us the name of ONE ,(JUST ONE EXAMPLE PLEASE) When a market leader died and markets were shut down,The name of the woman and her town! I agree it is nothing to do with Tinubu but there is no such tradition specific to market leaders perhaps for kings etc but not market "leaders".

This woman was the market leader when Awo was jailed and was very influential then(mobilizing thousands) for a long time before and after. Before her I do not even know that there was a tradition of "MARKET LEADERS" not to talk of for mourning their demise

They may close market for Mogaji(SPECIFICALLY) because of who she was as a person and politically Her influence was across the Western Region not just Lagos State which had not even been created. I do not see it happening again. Is there even a market leader today
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by bory09(m): 1:17pm On Jun 18, 2013
We have close our shop now, what is the benefit. I think lagos is a mega city competing to be cities like dubai, london, johannesburg. Is this how they close market there, did i say market, even those task force come to my forgotten street to close shop even when it comes to infrastructure they forget us but today they remembered us. Lagos is monopolise by tinubu and his ACN cohort that is for sure. If the tinubu himself die they will make it operation lock yourself inside. ACN ARE MADDAFUCKER THEIR OWN WORSE PASS GADAFFI.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 18, 2013
Well the important thing is, even if market close for one year: i still get garri to soak!
Datz all!
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 18, 2013
Bullshyte!
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by OAM4J: 1:21pm On Jun 18, 2013
omonnakoda:
There is Nothing Yoruba about this ? Can you tell us the name of ONE ,(JUST ONE EXAMPLE PLEASE) When a market leader died and markets were shut down,The name of the woman and her town! I agree it is nothing to do with Tinubu but there is no such tradition.This woman was the market leader when Awo was jailed and was very influential then for a long time before and after. Before her I do not even know that there was a tradition of "MARKET LEADERS" not to talk of for mourning their demise

Whenever a king or an Iyaloja dies in any Yoruba town, the markets under them are closed for a day or more in their honour. This has been a practice from time memorial.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Chasitty001: 1:22pm On Jun 18, 2013
Desola: Shebi Alaba and Ladipo are open.

Can somebody please confirm that if you have visited that area today.

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 18, 2013
omonnakoda:
There is Nothing Yoruba about this ? Can you tell us the name of ONE ,(JUST ONE EXAMPLE PLEASE) When a market leader died and markets were shut down,The name of the woman and her town! I agree it is nothing to do with Tinubu but there is no such tradition specific to market leaders perhaps for kings etc but not market "leaders".

This woman was the market leader when Awo was jailed and was very influential then for a long time before and after. Before her I do not even know that there was a tradition of "MARKET LEADERS" not to talk of for mourning their demise

I am edo,was born in lagos and grew up there and i do know that it is a tradition.they have market leaders of various market then they have the main iya of them all,i rem bariga been shut down years back when their leader died,my mom used to sell there
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by osymerga(m): 1:23pm On Jun 18, 2013
From volks to alaba int'l market is under lock down. All the shops there(even the ones in the street) are shut down. Which kind nonsense be this,see men dey go hungry cos of this*yawn*****
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by buJu234: 1:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
if its PDP & GEJ... ACN & APC will call them bad names...

I still believe that ACN & APC are worse DEVIL than this funny GEJ & PDP govt.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by sexymoma(f): 1:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ah Thank God.... I know ma mum will be resting at home now, i knw she will still go in the evening but atleast make she sha rest. had it been they didn't close down market today i wonder when she s gonna rest. what a relieve. make una dey argue o if na Yoruba Tradition.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by omonnakoda: 1:25pm On Jun 18, 2013
OAM4J:

Whenever a king or an Iyaloja dies in any Yoruba town, the markets under them are closed for a day or more in their honour. This has been a practice from time memorial.
Not everywhere and Iyaloja /Oloja Ogbeni-oja etc means different things to different Yorubas e.g it could mean simply King or Queen and not "leader of market women" as you seem to be saying Abibatu Mogaji was leader or Market women's associations in Western Nigeria and there is no precedence for that or how to mourn her demise
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by phineas: 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2013
This is not the first time a market in lagos has been shut down to honour its market leaders demise.its not possible to give names,as its obvious no one is really interested in market politics as such,one just remembers the inconvienience that's all.

For the guy that has stayed 15 yrs,its posible she has had the position for longer than that or no overall state market leader died during that period.

It is good to respect the culture of the people,old or new however it may be.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by firstolalekan(m): 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2013
[size=18pt]so, we no go chop again because person die undecided angry[/size]
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Alexebo1(m): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
Hw cn i place a topic hia on nairaland.....,som1 hep plzzzzzzzz
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by babe4chi(f): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
Its jus bullshit!!!
Dose mkt pple didn't close down on their on freewil,they were forced to...

Wen she's nt even the oba,d whole markt in lagos closed dwn wit agberos doin wat they knw best: stealin!

Mtcheeew
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by firstolalekan(m): 1:29pm On Jun 18, 2013
Alex ebo: Hw cn i place a topic hia on nairaland.....,som1 hep plzzzzzzzz
www.placetopic@nairaland.com cheesy
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by firstolalekan(m): 1:30pm On Jun 18, 2013
buJu-234:
if its PDP & GEJ... ACN & APC will call them bad names...

I still believe that ACN & APC are worse DEVIL than this funny GEJ & PDP govt.
shutup

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
Desola: Shebi Alaba and Ladipo are open.
Ladipo is closed. I pass through the place like 4 hours ago, but I don't of Alaba
Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
KGB2008: @ Musiwa,then this the first Market Leader that died in Lagos.I have reside in Lagos for over 15 years and market has never been shut down for any of those reason?A 97 years woman ? shocked
It a normal tradition among the market union, when the market leader of a particular market dies,market is closed for at least 2 days as a mark of honour.. Now the market leader of d whole Nigeria has gone to meet her maker,all markets in the federation ll be closed as a mark of honour,that she is 97 does not change a thing..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 18, 2013
babe4chi: Its jus bullshit!!!
Dose mkt pple didn't close down on their on freewil,they were forced to...

Wen she's nt even the oba,d whole markt in lagos closed dwn wit agberos doin wat they knw best: stealin!

Mtcheeew

Sharraaappppp..if you can't stand the culture ...move out!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Markets Closed In Abibat Mogaji's Honour by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 18, 2013
sexymoma: Ah Thank God.... I know ma mum will be resting at home now, i knw she will still go in the evening but atleast make she sha rest. had it been they didn't close down market today i wonder when she s gonna rest. what a relieve. make una dey argue o if na Yoruba Tradition.
wetin concern us with this okpkata yarn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Three Severely Burnt In Lekki Gas Fire / Zoning Formulas & Our Polity – By Charly Boy / Voters Registration Begins April 27 – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.