Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,653 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives (11433 Views)

I Feel so Angry With My Husband. Help! / My Niece-in-law Is Dying, ANY UN/NGO HOSPITALS? pics / Pls My Brother In Law Is Hypnotized, How Do I Handle The Scammer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by bellong: 12:40pm On Jun 19, 2013
The fault is not solely on your MIL. You need not blame her completely for her actions though some of her actions may not be right and conducive for your home. None of us know what she went through for that particular guy who is your husband. His own case may be different totally from the other children. Very emotional mothers are like that and it doesn't make them a bad person.

As for me, the big problem is with your husband who at this stage of his life cannot differentiate between a wife and a mother and who still want to be sucking from two bosom without sound knowledge and wisdom of balancing the equation. He is the one who is supposed to detach himself (not completely but reasonably for peace in the home) from his mother and set unwritten boundaries without compromising the affection and love he has for his mother.

If he has trusted friends he listens to, let them help him to restore his sense that he is now a married man. As far as I know, there is nothing you can do to that woman to change except her son subtly and with wisdom remedy the situation.

As suggested, you can become mama's friend too if you care to. If you win her trust and friendship, I believe with wisdom, you can also remedy the situation. Meanwhile, I believe you were not paying close attention during courtship, you would have noticed this easily.

I am the last born of my mum and the favourite. I detached myself from her and learnt to be a man long time ago even before I became an adult. Your generalisation of last borns is wrong.

It is well with your home

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by bellong: 12:42pm On Jun 19, 2013
@OP,

Lest I forget, I hope when you grow to become a MIL, this will be a great lesson for you not to police your son around and make the home hell for your DIL.
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by bukatyne(f): 12:44pm On Jun 19, 2013
Royal Roy:
Not at all. If I want to be happy, there are more ways to be happy than been confrontational, life is not about making trouble where simple reasoning & dialogue could be employed.
Ignoring people can also be a choice......u won't need to fight to be happy, trust me!!!

It's all good.

I try to avoid confrontations myself cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
Babz temmy:
U see what am saying, those is my shoes can never find it easy, ask ur frnd, d advice is sweet to give, but if u were in those shoes u will know how it truly feels. I pray it doesn't take me years to learn how to live with this.

I understand you
It is easy to sit in our homes and say all the nice politically correct things
You are the one living it.
You are the one that has a phone call coming in 3 in a row at 3 AM
You are the one with phone calls coming in during SE.x and your husband has to withdraw his sword to answer his mother
You are the one that makes plans with the man you married and the plan is changed suddenly to suit mama's plans
You are the one whose opinion is only listened to only when it jives with mama's opinion
When we give all our " holy" advice and log off you will be the one with an MIL calling her son to ask if he liked your Ogbono soup

I do not agree your solution is to get close to her
Your solution is to speak to your husband because so far it doesn't seem you have,I haven't read where you said so
The solution to bad behavior is not to pretend it doesn't exist and then rant on the side
You need to tackle this by talking about it to your husband

Tell him how you feel about his mother's involvement

The two people at fault here are that mama and the son enabling her bad behavior
You have to work hard at making him see how this is affecting you
Do that tonight and tell us what he said
You going out of your way to draw closer to an annoying woman is not the solution IMHO
She needs to curb her bad behavior and you can do it through the son

Let me ask,has your MIL come to spend time with you yet?
How was it?
This one the woman is wielding such powers from afar,I dread what will happen when she visits
She may send you to the visitor's room so she can rock her son to sleep and sing him lullaby
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
Royal Roy:
Well, what happens to ignoring them?
If you are known to be confrontational don't u think that limits the number of people who want to relate with you?
If dialogue fails, then why not ignore?
Do you confront your boss at work just to earn his respect too?
Remember, there is a lot to loose in life by being confrontational......eni to ba fi ori fo agbon....kii duro je o!! (he who uses his head to break coconut, doesn't stay around to eat out of it.)
That proverb is worng oga cheesy
At this present age, i will never use my head to break coconut and i wont stay around to eat ooo cheesy cheesy
After i rub off the pain na to start chopping the coconut oo
I just dey joke o wink
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2013
Royal Roy:
Well, what happens to ignoring them?
If you are known to be confrontational don't u think that limits the number of people who want to relate with you?
If dialogue fails, then why not ignore?
Do you confront your boss at work just to earn his respect too?
Remember, there is a lot to loose in life by being confrontational......eni to ba fi ori fo agbon....kii duro je o!! (he who uses his head to break coconut, doesn't stay around to eat out of it.)
of course at work i mind my buisness and if my boss is doing something i dont like,i tell him and leave e.g sir i dont like the way you talked to me yesterday,even though i am your employee,there should be ways in which we adress each other.if you feel offended the way i put it,i am sorry.walk out and leave him with his conscience

2ndly it is not in every situation you get tempramental.there are some situations you ignore or overlook,there are some circumstances and people you discuss with like a human being but when it is bothering on messing with my intelligence or ego,i will have to put anybody in their place,God so good my friends know the kind of person shewa is.i give them their respect,i respect their boundaries and or marriage and they also reciprocate the respect.moreover the same yorubas say mowa foniwa,oun logun ore.
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by RoyalRoy(m): 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2013
nikkykay:
At this present age, i will never use my head to break coconut and i wont stay around to eat ooo cheesy cheesy
I just dey joke o wink
Lollllllz
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Babztemmy: 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2013
[quote author=nikkykay]
Dis playing any act of competition is like acting like a rival.
Just pray silently in the corner to God to bring him to his senses.
God has joined you to him and not to his mother so tell God to be ur mil's husband if she doesnt have her own husband.
She shld just leave you to let u enjoy ur husband. Whatever u dont want in ur marriage and it is beyond ur power, my dear take it to Him in prayers. He is willing to hear
I am not against her praying for her son, call him to say some prayers but when it turning out to be odd hours, it is a no-no.
Whatever she sees in d middle of the night concerning her son can wait till d morning.The reason why God made her his mother is 2b his guardian angel so she can pray as at the time she has anything and call her son's attention to it later.
Please be calm. God will help you
[/quote\
Thank you ma
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
kulyie: of course at work i mind my buisness and if my boss is doing something i dont like,i tell him and leave e.g sir i dont like the way you talked to me yesterday,even though i am your employee,there should be ways in which we adress each other.if you feel offended the way i put it,i am sorry.walk out and leave him with his conscience

2ndly it is not in every situation you get tempramental.there are some situations you ignore or overlook,there are some circumstances and people you discuss with like a human being but when it is bothering on messing with my intelligence or ego,i will have to put anybody in their place,God so good my friends know the kind of person shewa is.i give them their respect,i respect their boundaries and or marriage and they also reciprocate the respect.moreover the same yorubas say mowa foniwa,oun logun ore.
Babes idk you but take a chill pill wink wink
Life is easy wink
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
nikkykay:
I just dey joke o wink
lol,baba suwe in the making.he is the one that knows how to corrupt yoruba proverbs in a funny way just like you are doing cheesy funny guycheesy
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 19, 2013
nikkykay:
Babes idk you but take a chill pill wink wink
Life is easy wink
lol,ok,i will 8-)
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 19, 2013
Babz temmy: [/quote][quote author=Babz temmy]
u r welcome dear
*E-hugss*
kulyie: lol,ok,i will 8-)
wink
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by RoyalRoy(m): 1:08pm On Jun 19, 2013
kulyie: of course at work i mind my buisness and if my boss is doing something i dont like,i tell him and leave e.g sir i dont like the way you talked to me yesterday,even though i am your employee,there should be ways in which we adress each other.if you feel offended the way i put it,i am sorry.walk out and leave him with his conscience

Well, I believe it works for you.
All good, we can't be all wired up the same way!!!
Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2013
babyosisi:

I understand you
It is easy to sit in our homes and say all the nice politically correct things
You are the one living it.
You are the one that has a phone call coming in 3 in a row at 3 AM
You are the one with phone calls coming in during SE.x and your husband has to withdraw his sword to answer his mother
You are the one that makes plans with the man you married and the plan is changed suddenly to suit mama's plans
You are the one whose opinion is only listened to only when it jives with mama's opinion

I do not agree your solution is to get close to her
Your solution is to speak to your husband because so far it doesn't seem you have,I haven't read where you said so
The solution to bad behavior is not to pretend it doesn't exist and then rant on the side
You need to tackle this by talking about it to your husband

Tell him how you feel about his mother's involvement

The two people at fault here are that mama and the son enabling her bad behavior
You have to work hard at making him see how this is affecting you
Do that tonight and tell us what he said
You going out of your way to draw closer to an annoying woman is not the solution IMHO
She needs to curb her bad behavior and you can do it through the son

Let me ask,has your MIL come to spend time with you yet?
How was it?
This one the woman is wielding such powers from afar,I dread what will happen when she visits
She may send you to the visitor's room so she can rock her son to sleep and sing him lullaby
then that is a five year old child not an adult :/

even secondary school children live for years with each other in the boarding house without everyday visits of mummy or dady except phone calls once in a while how much more a marriageable adult :/

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 19, 2013
Royal Roy:
Well, I believe it works for you.
All good, we can't be all wired up the same way!!!
Cheers!
thanks roy
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 19, 2013
nikkykay:
u r welcome dear
*E-hugss*

wink
lol,i have taken a chill pill.kiss kis.catch am

emuahhhhhh:*:*:*:*:*:*
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 19, 2013
kulyie: then that is a five year old child not an adult :/

even secondary school children live for years with each other in the boarding house without everyday visits of mummy or dady except phone calls once in a while how much more a marriageable adult :/

There is more in this story definitely
I would like to know for instance

1. Did the MIL arrange for her to marry this son
2. Is the MIL the one paying their rent or does she give them financial assistance,are they living in one of her houses?
3. Did the wife come from a lower socio economic class than the one she married into

Because it sounds to me like the woman has a financial control on them too.
A woman who has this much control I would reason most certainly chose the wife for him too,she had to
And she must have chosen someone she believes will fall in line with her ways

I need the OP to tell us more and paint the true picture beyond the calls
It is not possible to say more without her telling us the full story
There is more to this story.
The phone calls are just symptoms of something deeper IMHO
Looks like mama is mama Jireh,their provider here
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 19, 2013
Remind me of this talkative-single mom staff that has only one son child, my son this , my son that, calls in sick like crazy every-time, doctors appointments nko?, I have decided to just leave her be despite all her reprimands *sighs* several calls to HR from creditors to garnish her wages to consolidate bills.
I discussed her with my hubby couple of months ago , and the first thing he said was, baby please don't let my kids near that boy( as per my matchmaking mission grin), now or never cos that lady is one monster in- law in making cheesy

The potential daughter in law is in for a long battle with that feisty lady, I feel sorry for her already.

Brings me to my short and 'easy' conclusion on this --- OP, If you can't beat 'em , join them....Love me love my crazy and possessive Dog.
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by lacicrips(m): 1:27pm On Jun 19, 2013
Mother-in-law & Daughter-in-law rivalry. When will it ever end?

These same daughter-in-laws end up being mother-in-laws in future and become worse. The cycle continues.

Pls let's learn to tolerate one another abeg.

Look at the related posts on top of the page; one is even forcing her mother-in-law to leave her home. I wonder why the men don't have this same problem with father-in-laws

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 19, 2013
babyosisi:

There is more in this story definitely
I would like to know for instance

1. Did the MIL arrange for her to marry this son
2. Is the MIL the one paying their rent or does she give them financial assistance,are they living in one of her houses?
3. Did the wife come from a lower socio economic class than the one she married into

Because it sounds to me like the woman has a financial control on them too.
A woman who has this much control I would reason most certainly chose the wife for him too,she had to
And she must have chosen someone she believes will fall in line with her ways

I need the OP to tell us more and paint the true picture beyond the calls
It is not possible to say more without her telling us the full story
There is more to this story.
The phone calls are just symptoms of something deeper IMHO
Looks like mama is mama Jireh,their provider here
ok,in that case let me cut some slack
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by zaynie(f): 1:42pm On Jun 19, 2013
@ op, I feel u cos I tynk we r in similar situations buh in my own case we live in d same buildin. Husby n I stay upstairs n she stays downstairs. Husby I'd d first child n as I hia he was rily naughty growin up so she alwaiz worries abt him. Bfor I married him she would police him wiv 4n kalls wen he comes visitin. I overlooked it den. Wen we were newly weds, she would climb up to chk ow neat I was kipin my flat, wot did we cook,y dint I cook, etc. I'm a very patient person n I took it all in gud strides.wen I had had enuf, first tyn I did was remove d doorbell. She wil stand dre sotey!knock tire! I won't ansa. She would sumtyms kall me sef. Den she reduced d way she used to kome ova to our flat n wil mek remarks lyk if we kuku come naw, dey won't open door to which I wil giv no reply. Anodha tyn she used to do was always complain to my husby dt I was too lazy compared to her, n he too wil naw start abusin me wiv it till I shut him up by remindin him dt I was neva a strong peron n whyl we dated for gud 8yrs I neva for once pretended to b wu I wasn't. Dt put an end to dt.thirdly, @ odd hrs she would kall husby or I to giv her cold water even as late as 1 am, even wen we were in d middle of bedroom bizness, well I made sure she got a fridge. 4th tactic;I realised dt husby alwaiz goes straight to her apartment wen he gets bac frm wrk n will stay dre for abt 2hrs, I did wot most ppl hia aff adviced u to do, I moved close to his mom. I gisted wiv her, I got her tyns, cooked for her n den I wil b @ her place n husby wil meet me dre ,by d tym he is ready to leave, me I wil jes b gettin started,probly watchin a movie n gistin.he will leave me behind n I wil stay for abt 2 more hrs, as in sumtyms I don't go till 11pm. By d tym I get to our flat he wil b so furious n if he reports to his mama, she wil b lyk shebi she was wit me naw, abi u don't want her to be wiv me ni? Men r very jealous. D minute u start showin affection to anybody odha dan dem, dey get jealous even if it is dre mother or evn dre child sef.he changed ni Ooº°˚˚° . Wen he gets bac frm wrk he goes straight to our flat n den kalls me dt wia am I ?dt he's ome. N I dint evn nid to tell him*winks*u jes nid to b rily patient n wiv tym u wil reap d reward lyk me. I don't eva feel bad dt I live wit my inlaws, dis alwaiz surprise my sistaz,mom n friends.put 1 tyn in my,"what God has joined togedha, let no man put assunder" to my undastanding, d ppl God joined togeda r dose 1z related by blood, cos dey dint get to choose demselves so pls don't com btw blood. Pray fervently. Prayer works, alwaiz. Also ow is ur relationship wiv d siblings? U kan try to politely let dem in in wot u r goin thru.I did n it yielded gud results, she backed off on matters concernin ow we share our house chores.wish u d very best.

7 Likes

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 19, 2013
lacicrips: Mother-in-law & Daughter-in-law rivalry. When will it ever end?

These same daughter-in-laws end up being mother-in-laws in future and become worse. The cycle continues.

Pls let's learn to tolerate one another abeg.

Look at the related posts on top of the page; one is even forcing her mother-in-law to leave her home. I wonder why the men don't have this same problem with father-in-laws
to be factual even though some people hate hearing (reading) the truth.many women are inherently or unconsciously overbearing.they dont even realise their over bearing nature is negatively affecting daughter inlaw,kid sister,sister inlaw etc
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
zaynie: @ op, I feel u cos I tynk we r in similar situations buh in my own case we live in d same buildin. Husby n I stay upstairs n she stays downstairs. Husby I'd d first child n as I hia he was rily naughty growin up so she alwaiz worries abt him. Bfor I married him she would police him wiv 4n kalls wen he comes visitin. I overlooked it den. Wen we were newly weds, she would climb up to chk ow neat I was kipin my flat, wot did we cook,y dint I cook, etc. I'm a very patient person n I took it all in gud strides.wen I had had enuf, first tyn I did was remove d doorbell. She wil stand dre sotey!knock tire! I won't ansa. She would sumtyms kall me sef. Den she reduced d way she used to kome ova to our flat n wil mek remarks lyk if we kuku come naw, dey won't open door to which I wil giv no reply. Anodha tyn she used to do was always complain to my husby dt I was too lazy compared to her, n he too wil naw start abusin me wiv it till I shut him up by remindin him dt I was neva a strong peron n whyl we dated for gud 8yrs I neva for once pretended to b wu I wasn't. Dt put an end to dt.thirdly, @ odd hrs she would kall husby or I to giv her cold water even as late as 1 am, even wen we were in d middle of bedroom bizness, well I made sure she got a fridge. 4th tactic;I realised dt husby alwaiz goes straight to her apartment wen he gets bac frm wrk n will stay dre for abt 2hrs, I did wot most ppl hia aff adviced u to do, I moved close to his mom. I gisted wiv her, I got her tyns, cooked for her n den I wil b @ her place n husby wil meet me dre ,by d tym he is ready to leave, me I wil jes b gettin started,probly watchin a movie n gistin.he will leave me behind n I wil stay for abt 2 more hrs, as in sumtyms I don't go till 11pm. By d tym I get to our flat he wil b so furious n if he reports to his mama, she wil b lyk shebi she was wit me naw, abi u don't want her to be wiv me ni? Men r very jealous. D minute u start showin affection to anybody odha dan dem, dey get jealous even if it is dre mother or evn dre child sef.he changed ni Ooº°˚˚° . Wen he gets bac frm wrk he goes straight to our flat n den kalls me dt wia am I ?dt he's ome. N I dint evn nid to tell him*winks*u jes nid to b rily patient n wiv tym u wil reap d reward lyk me. I don't eva feel bad dt I live wit my inlaws, dis alwaiz surprise my sistaz,mom n friends.put 1 tyn in my,"what God has joined togedha, let no man put assunder" to my undastanding, d ppl God joined togeda r dose 1z related by blood, cos dey dint get to choose demselves so pls don't com btw blood. Pray fervently. Prayer works, alwaiz. Also ow is ur relationship wiv d siblings? U kan try to politely let dem in in wot u r goin thru.I did n it yielded gud results, she backed off on matters concernin ow we share our house chores.wish u d very best.
lol,i admire your courage and resilience.really i admire ladies like you.you are one real smart girl
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by slimyem: 1:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
This matter has no fantastic solution. Mama is going nowhere and its rather too late for the husband to sever ties this strong.
I know this kinds. I'm almost certain there's a brick wall waiting right at the end of any talks with him about it.
Pity op didn't understand what she signed up for before she did. Many have walked at subtler signs of this kinda situation.cool
Op,learn to live with it. In my people's words..fi se osun koo fi para.cool
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 19, 2013
jidegirl12: Remind me of this talkative-single mom staff that has only one son child, my son this , my son that, calls in sick like crazy every-time, doctors appointments nko?, I have decided to just leave her be despite all her reprimands *sighs* several calls to HR from creditors to garnish her wages to consolidate bills.
I discussed her with my hubby couple of months ago , and the first thing he said was, baby please don't let my kids near that boy( as per my matchmaking mission grin), now or never cos that lady is one monster in- law in making cheesy

The potential daughter in law is in for a long battle with that feisty lady, I feel sorry for her already.

Brings me to my short and 'easy' conclusion on this --- OP, If you can't beat 'em , join them....Love me love my crazy and possessive Dog.
lol cheesy jiiiidddeeeeee o.you wont kill me with laugh cheesycheesycheesy
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 19, 2013
All of us ladies reading these stories should learn what sort of t MIL not to be
Some women are going through hell in the name of overbearing MILs

Sit your own mothers down and talk to them about how to behave when they go to stay with their DIL
I did it with my own mother
I called the first time she was coming to stay with my brother and told her not to put mouth in anything
I told her that if my SIL called me to complain about a thing,I would blame her
I told my mom the same thing when she came to my house
I said mommy even if u are coming downstairs and hear my voice or my Okonkwo's voice rising,biko go back upstairs and stay there
And that is exactly what she did and does
She never ever asks or meddles

All these people are guests in the home
I love my mom to pieces but she cannot put a wedge btw hubby and I
And I won't allow my MIL do same

I have written here before of the challenges I had in my first years of marriage with my MIL
I learned a lot in that experience
We are good friends today but after that initial rough patch

I have jokingly said many times ,that I will be a funky grandma when the time comes
I will do my own omugwo from a hotel room
Fly to their city with my return ticket rent a hotel room and a car and operate from there lol.
No DIL will say that babyosisi did or said
Anyday I feel like it,I depart back to my home
I love my privacy too much,I hate staying in people's homes
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 19, 2013
To all the Married women nairalanders,especially the ones that are yorubas,please can i have your attention,i want to ask a question that up till today i havent found answers too.its about this mother inlaw isshhhh

in yoruba engagement weddings,shebi theres a part of the ceremony where the m.c will ask the bride to sit in between mother inlaw and father inlaw and put your hands on their shoulders to take pictures.then the mother inlaw will hug you and give you a peck,(i am not sure but correct me if i am wrong) to show that she loves you,approved your relationship with her son and accepted you (with your strengths and flaws) the m.c will even say the bride and groom should kneel down so that mother inlaw and father inlaw can pray for you so after all the public display of affection by mother inlaw etc,why all the hulabaloo and isssh that my mother inlaw did this,did that,she isnt allowing me to enjoy my home,she is to nosy and overbearing.i am lost here.because with all the public display of affection,one should believe or presume that the mother inlaw will love and pamper her to high heavens.

Could anyone answer that
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
zaynie: @ op, I feel u cos I tynk we r in similar situations buh in my own case we live in d same buildin. Husby n I stay upstairs n she stays downstairs. Husby I'd d first child n as I hia he was rily naughty growin up so she alwaiz worries abt him. Bfor I married him she would police him wiv 4n kalls wen he comes visitin. I overlooked it den. Wen we were newly weds, she would climb up to chk ow neat I was kipin my flat, wot did we cook,y dint I cook, etc. I'm a very patient person n I took it all in gud strides.wen I had had enuf, first tyn I did was remove d doorbell. She wil stand dre sotey!knock tire! I won't ansa. She would sumtyms kall me sef. Den she reduced d way she used to kome ova to our flat n wil mek remarks lyk if we kuku come naw, dey won't open door to which I wil giv no reply. Anodha tyn she used to do was always complain to my husby dt I was too lazy compared to her, n he too wil naw start abusin me wiv it till I shut him up by remindin him dt I was neva a strong peron n whyl we dated for gud 8yrs I neva for once pretended to b wu I wasn't. Dt put an end to dt.thirdly, @ odd hrs she would kall husby or I to giv her cold water even as late as 1 am, even wen we were in d middle of bedroom bizness, well I made sure she got a fridge. 4th tactic;I realised dt husby alwaiz goes straight to her apartment wen he gets bac frm wrk n will stay dre for abt 2hrs, I did wot most ppl hia aff adviced u to do, I moved close to his mom. I gisted wiv her, I got her tyns, cooked for her n den I wil b @ her place n husby wil meet me dre ,by d tym he is ready to leave, me I wil jes b gettin started,probly watchin a movie n gistin.he will leave me behind n I wil stay for abt 2 more hrs, as in sumtyms I don't go till 11pm. By d tym I get to our flat he wil b so furious n if he reports to his mama, she wil b lyk shebi she was wit me naw, abi u don't want her to be wiv me ni? Men r very jealous. D minute u start showin affection to anybody odha dan dem, dey get jealous even if it is dre mother or evn dre child sef.he changed ni Ooº°˚˚° . Wen he gets bac frm wrk he goes straight to our flat n den kalls me dt wia am I ?dt he's ome. N I dint evn nid to tell him*winks*u jes nid to b rily patient n wiv tym u wil reap d reward lyk me. I don't eva feel bad dt I live wit my inlaws, dis alwaiz surprise my sistaz,mom n friends.put 1 tyn in my,"what God has joined togedha, let no man put assunder" to my undastanding, d ppl God joined togeda r dose 1z related by blood, cos dey dint get to choose demselves so pls don't com btw blood. Pray fervently. Prayer works, alwaiz. Also ow is ur relationship wiv d siblings? U kan try to politely let dem in in wot u r goin thru.I did n it yielded gud results, she backed off on matters concernin ow we share our house chores.wish u d very best.

I Love this.
Love the part where you leave the woman standing outside cheesy * God forgive me*

Kai! some of us are so lucky, I have not set my eyes on my MIL since my wedding day 5 years ago. I think I have spoken to her a total of 6 times in those 5 years.

Really feel sorry for the OP
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 19, 2013
babyosisi: All of us ladies reading these stories should learn what sor of t MIL not to be
Some women are going through hell in the name of overbearing MILs

Sit your own mothers down and talk to them about how to behave when they go to stay with their DIL
I did it with my own mother
I called the first time she was coming to stay with my brother and told her not to put mouth in anything
I told her that if my SIL called me to complain about a thing,I would blame her
I told my mom the same thing when she came to my house
I said mommy even if u are coming downstairs and hear my voice or my Okonkwo's voice rising,biko go back upstairs and stay there
And that is exactly what she did and does
She never ever asks or meddles

All these people are guests in the home
I love my mom to pieces but she cannot put a wedge btw hubby and I
And I won't allow my MIL do same

I have written here before of the challenges I had in my first years of marriage with my MIL
I learned a lot in that experience
We are good friends today but after that initial rough patch

I have jokingly said many times ,that I will be a funky grandma when the time comes
I will do my own omugwo from a hotel room
Fly to their city with my return ticket rent a hotel room and a car and operate from there lol.
No DIL will say that babyosisi did or said
Anyday I feel like it,I depart back to my home
I love my privacy too much,I hate staying in people's homes
lol,funny enough my mom acts almost similar.

My mother knows how to mind her buisness.even when my sister inlaw (elder brothers wife gave birth) she asked my mom wont she come and stay with her first grand child,my mom told her she will only come and visit and go home that same day and the lady was saying jokingly mummy this is your house,you should come and spend some time with us na and my mum said that is not my house,i have my own house.where you are is your house.i will come and visit over the weekend.i am always telling her you are a lucky woman to have my kind of mom as your mother inlaw.she now jokingly said which kain lucky woman,me that i will call your mom and complain to her that your brother cyril did this to me and she will tell me to learn how to manage my internal affairs that it is none of her buisness.she is so indifferent except when she sees her grand child.i said is your home her buisness before.do you expect her to be intruding into what doesnt concern her.she said at least she should be giving me advice na and be on my side.i just laughed and said sweet heart,if your mother inlaw doesnt mind her buisness,you yourself will not be ok at all so she sha said thank God for my mil o and i was like now you are talking.i asked her does she leave her own house and tell you do this,do that,cook this,dont cook that,she said no,does she bully you or pick on you unnecessarily she said no.then i said what then is your problem.she sha turned it to a joking matter saying who will a fly support if not the person that has the injury.we just laughed over it and went out for shopping
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 19, 2013
Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 19, 2013
biolabee: hmm.. kuly fighter cheesy grin

abeg make u kuly temper o... life no be war

nothing do u
lol biola baby,kujo meta cheesy e don tey since i see you for nairaland.kilonshele cheesy

anyway o.mion shey fighter.i am not a fighter.i am a very loving and accomodating person except when dey wan use soap rub me for body.anyway regards to mama biola o and dont fail in your duties.you don hear.live mama alone :p

ko takia 8-)

1 Like

Re: I Feel My Mother In Law Is Sooooooooooooo Into Our Lives by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
kulyie: lol,funny enough my mom acts almost similar.

My mother knows how to mind her buisness.even when my sister inlaw (elder brothers wife gave birth) she asked my mom wont she come and stay with her first grand child,my mom told her she will only come and visit and go home that same day and the lady was saying jokingly mummy this is your house,you should come and spend some time with us na and my mum said that is not my house,i have my own house.where you are is your house.i will come and visit over the weekend.i am always telling her you are a lucky woman to have my kind of mom as your mother inlaw.she now jokingly said which kain lucky woman,me that i will call your mom and complain to her that your brother cyril did this to me and she will tell me to learn how to manage my internal affairs that it is none of her buisness.she is so indifferent except when she sees her grand child.i said is your home her buisness before.do you expect her to be intruding into what doesnt concern her.she said at least she should be giving me advice na and be on my side.i just laughed and said sweet heart,if your mother inlaw doesnt mind her buisness,you yourself will not be ok at all so she sha said thank God for my mil o and i was like now you are talking.i asked her does she leave her own house and tell you do this,do that,cook this,dont cook that,she said no,does she bully you or pick on you unnecessarily she said no.then i said what then is your problem.she sha turned it to a joking matter saying who will a fly support if not the person that has the injury.we just laughed over it and went out for shopping

I like her style o jare
That will be mine too
All these stories of MIL coming from Aba and Abraka to visit and refusing to leave will not be my portion IJMN
Na dem go beg me to come and I will be doing shakara
It is them that will come to visit me in my own home
I will even suggest to my daughters to come to my house if they agree with their husbands ,let me do their omugwo in my home for a month or two instead of going to someone's house to walk on egg shells
I love my space too much
I will be a grandma wearing tight jeans grin grin grin and ordering take out when I feel like not cooking
Rebranded omugwo style grin grin grin
I no dey for all that mama Iyabo sumtin and being a pain in the bakassi
For what?
Infact if I visit sef and what I see dey scratch me for eye,they won't even know when I change my ticket ready to fly back to my home. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Would You Marry A Man Who Was Perfect For You, But His Family Did Not Like You? / Would You Sleep With Your Pretty Mother-in-law? / What If Marriage Were Temporary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.