Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,083 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam (9125 Views)

A Detailed Look at Quranic Perspectives on the Honey Bee / A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective / A Look At Islam’s Victory By Nonviolent Resistance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 21, 2013
Islam and quality can't b in the same sentence.very dry joke. Northern Nigeria is a great example of why Islam is bad , people refusing vaccines in 2013 only 2 countries are still fighting polio yup you guessed right Nigeria and Pakistan .lwkd

3 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by cold(m): 7:29pm On Jun 21, 2013
With hardliners like Ustaz maclatunji having no qualms using a derogatory term like 'Kaffir' to address non-Muslims,I'm afraid your dissertation is an exercise in futility.At op,I'd strongly suggest you channel your energies towards reconstructing the mindsets of the likes mentioned above and his co-travellers.Anything short of this,you're simply dissipating your time and I dare say the dialectical premise upon which your argument is predicated is flawed from the outset.Thus,dead on arrival

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by adepojuot: 7:34pm On Jun 21, 2013
Msgamble: @walexz, why nt learn about iran,iraq,saudi,pakistan etc they say'no proselytizing' even their citizen who covert 2 Xtianity av 2 leaves d country or face prosecution/lynch by mob..are u a learner
don't mind them jareeeee,majority of them don't have dstv for house,how do they know what is going on around the world.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by diarra94(m): 7:45pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

That is what you deserve for deliberately ignoring the UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Turkey, Morocco etc as countries that are doing great under Islam.

You sought to misrepresent Islam and got misrepresented as a result.

*In dramatic voice* Justice has been served.

Having #Fun today. tongue

undecided
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

That is what you deserve for deliberately ignoring the UAE, Qatar, , Saudi Arabia, I, Morocco etc as countries that are doing great under Islam.

why don't you tell the whole world how they lived before khaffire , why don't you tell how khaffire found oil for them ,pumped that oil , built refineries , and now buy that oil wink or you are saying Islam made rich? Lwkd. Well if you didn't know .your masters were eating sand and fcking camels before khaffire .

3 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
*made them rich*
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by UyiIredia(m): 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2013
There are always two sides to a coin.

Indeed I think Islam has noble objectives in calling adherents to a higher living. The unity (despite schisms as evident in the Shia, Sunni and Suffi split) is not in doubt. Islam redefined the geo-political boundaries of the Middle-East, Europe, Africa and Asia. That it spread quickly to Syria, Jordan etc after being birthed is not in doubt. The common religion became a rallying point for otherwise feuding tribes and their lords. This established Islamic hegemonies as well typified by the United Arab Emirates. I once stated to someone (who believed there was nothing good in Islam for obvious reasons) that some modern-day Islamic states are in fact a counter-point to that. Malaysia and Kuwait are examples that come to mind. There is an interesting video, here, wherein which the speaker talks about the role Islam is playing in building successful democracies. A quote from the author is worth considering:

“Many Muslims in Saudi Arabia believe that the core values of Islam, namely acknowledgement of God’s sovereignty and basic human equality before God, are themselves compatible with liberty, equality and free political choice.”
- Noah Feldman

As for negatives, well there is the case of persecution of atheists (as with Christians) killing of homo$exuals, and Islamic fanaticism, as commonly portrayed (possibly to the point of being over-stated) in the media. Of course, female emancipation is another woe that bedevils the religion. These negatives together constitutes the quandary the modern Muslim faces: how to keep core tenets whilst co-opting cultural elements of a world that is gravitating towards liberalism and secularism. Personally, I think Dubai is a good social experiment in this direction.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by UyiIredia(m): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
There are always two sides to a coin.

Indeed I think Islam has noble objectives in calling adherents to a higher living. The unity (despite schisms as evident in the Shia, Sunni and Suffi split) is not in doubt. Islam redefined the geo-political boundaries of the Middle-East, Europe, Africa and Asia. That it spread quickly to Syria, Jordan etc after being birthed is not in doubt. The common religion became a rallying point for otherwise feuding tribes and their lords. This established Islamic hegemonies as well typified by the United Arab Emirates. I once stated to someone (who believed there was nothing good in Islam for obvious reasons) that some modern-day Islamic states are in fact a counter-point to that. Malaysia and Kuwait are examples that come to mind. There is an interesting video, here, wherein which the speaker talks about the role Islam is playing in building successful democracies. A quote from the author is worth considering:

“Many Muslims in Saudi Arabia believe that the core values of Islam, namely acknowledgement of God’s sovereignty and basic human equality before God, are themselves compatible with liberty, equality and free political choice.”
- Noah Feldman

As for negatives, well there is the case of persecution of atheists (as with Christians) killing of homo$exuals, and Islamic fanaticism, as commonly portrayed (possibly to the point of being over-stated) in the media. Of course, female emancipation is another woe that bedevils the religion. These negatives together constitutes the quandary the modern Muslim faces: how to keep core tenets whilst co-opting cultural elements of a world that is gravitating towards liberalism and secularism. Personally, I think Dubai is a good social experiment in this direction.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by UyiIredia(m): 8:18pm On Jun 21, 2013
Of course, I also think Sharia is contravenes aspects of democracy but Feldman seems more optimistic. Interesting topic though, made me think back to TED - been a while since I watched a TED talk.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 21, 2013
uyi save your saliva. When you at it we can sponsor your travel to the north, they need you more than we do
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by UyiIredia(m): 8:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: uyi save your saliva. When you at it we can sponsor your travel to the north, they need you more than we do

You are looking at only one side of the issue you know. If I only emphasised the negatives we probably won't be talking.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Msgamble: 8:51pm On Jun 21, 2013
My ppl,imagine some1 calling maroc,iran,iraq,pakis,north(9ja) successful state when their citizen are running to georgia,greece,uk,france seeking assylum,refugees(including Xtian convert)..compare their standard of living with an average isreali or maybe u're still watching NTA eh eh..i can't laff learner
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by maclatunji: 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2013
cold: With hardliners like Ustaz maclatunji having no qualms using a derogatory term like 'Kaffir' to address non-Muslims,I'm afraid your dissertation is an exercise in futility.At op,I'd strongly suggest you channel your energies towards reconstructing the mindsets of the likes mentioned above and his co-travellers.Anything short of this,you're simply dissipating your time and I dare say the dialectical premise upon which your argument is predicated is flawed from the outset.Thus,dead on arrival

Prove that the word 'Kafir' is derogatory as defined by Islam.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by maclatunji: 9:29pm On Jun 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

why don't you tell the whole world how they lived before khaffire , why don't you tell how khaffire found oil for them ,pumped that oil , built refineries , and now buy that oil wink or you are saying Islam made rich? Lwkd. Well if you didn't know .your masters were eating sand and fcking camels before khaffire .

Such incoherence. #Poor
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

it is simple, tell us what your prophet said about non Muslim
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by maclatunji: 9:41pm On Jun 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

it is simple, tell us what your prophet said about non Muslim

Already did and you obviously ran away from it. Obviously, you seek to misrepresent Islam and have no desire to accept that you are holding on to ignorance.

#Deceitful
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by darelar(m): 9:52pm On Jun 21, 2013
Ameen. May Allah make it easy for you to perform ur Solat regularly. Y
oluwadare26: I Luv Islam although i'm a little bit lazy when it comes to Al-solat sometimes, my prayer to Almighty Allah(S.W.H) is dat i shouldnt encounter any problem no matter how small that will make me and any member of my family convert...

ISLAM IS THE WAY....check out "Ask Dr. ZAKIR NAIK"
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by hikmoj(m): 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2013
Msgamble: @walexz, why nt learn about iran,iraq,saudi,pakistan etc they say'no proselytizing' even their citizen who covert 2 Xtianity av 2 leaves d country or face prosecution/lynch by mob..are u a learner
every country has its constitution,dat is their own constitutions,for instance there are countries dat hav no problem wit ppl dealin wit cannabis &in som countries its a crime.these countries may amend dia constitutions at dia own comfortabl time.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by TeenageMoney(m): 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2013
Many Hidden Posts. Let me not post b4 dem go 'Hidden' Mine Tooo
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by cold(m): 10:52pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

Kafir (Arabic: كافر‎ kāfir, plural كفّار kuffār) is a denigrating Arabic term used in an Islamic doctrinal sense, usually translated as "unbeliever," "disbeliever," or "infidel." The term refers to a person who rejects God in Islam or who hides, denies, or covers the "islamic version of truth." The practise of declaring another Muslim as a kafir is takfir.
This aptly defines the word in question,and please I do not have the patience for your shenanigans or feeble attempts at sophistry in a desperate bid to shield what we already know is the truth
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 21, 2013
cold:
Kafir (Arabic: كافر‎ kāfir, plural كفّار kuffār) is a denigrating Arabic term used in an Islamic doctrinal sense, usually translated as "unbeliever," "disbeliever," or "infidel." The term refers to a person who rejects God in Islam or who hides, denies, or covers the "islamic version of truth." The practise of declaring another Muslim as a kafir is takfir.
This aptly defines the word in question,and please I do not have the patience for your shenanigans or feeble attempts at sophistry in a desperate bid to shield what we already know is the truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc8EjQEpZ3s

don't mind him the dude is only fooling himself lmao.

go to 1:13:00 to 1:18:00 and see how they love khaffir , see what their imams tell them daily
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Msgamble: 11:27pm On Jun 21, 2013
Hey,this 'kafir' issues,my BIBLE tell me not 2 judge others..am nt GOD..maybe that is why Ali(revered by sunni & shia) slaughter innocent jews back then or u av any other explaination to that..saved sermon 4 growing convertees bro(Xtian)in benue/taraba
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by cupid4ig(m): 11:40pm On Jun 21, 2013
Adek15: We dnt nid 2 convince u or anybody.. (i refuse 2 b apologetic) Sure there are crisis associated with islam in d country and in d world @ large buh u knw that's due 2 religious fanatism (christianity and judaism inclusive). For ''we'll show them our signs in them and around them until it became manifest 2 them that this is the truth''.... The truth is everywhere broda if u need it.
why dont u guys start from naija. Let ur leaders come out and deny boko haram. They should tell them pls u are not fighting for Allah. But the truth is u guys wont and will never.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Adamo84(m): 11:46pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

That is what you deserve for deliberately ignoring the UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Turkey, Morocco etc as countries that are doing great under Islam.

this Post got me really Laughing like Gosh! Make una nor kill person o!
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by cupid4ig(m): 11:48pm On Jun 21, 2013
maclatunji:

Reducing poverty, improving access to healthcare, engaging in the political process to help make Nigeria better. Educating the young ones to improve their chances of ascending the social ladder in future. Improving the standing of Muslims in the society etc.

and ur muslim brothers has bn ruling this country from independent but couldnt archive these things? Pls tell me more

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 21, 2013
shut up , can't you see that kaffir are living among them? you corrupted them
cupid4ig: and ur muslim brothers has bn ruling this country from independent but couldnt archive these things? Pls tell me more
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by tbaba1234: 12:03am On Jun 22, 2013
A kaffir is one who rejects or buries the seed of truth when it comes to him. That is the direct meaning.

Not all non muslims are kaffir. The most appropriate english translation is 'disbeliever'.

Words like 'infidel' were made popular by christians when they started their crusades, is that derogatory as well.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by maclatunji: 12:05am On Jun 22, 2013
cold:

It is a definition of the word by Non-Muslims you have presented. If you say the word 'kafir' is offensive. Pray tell, what is the non-offensive word for non-Muslims in Islam? Even your 'evidence' does not 'prove' the 'offensiveness' of the word. It just 'says' it is and that's no different from what some of you have been 'saying' here. Anybody can say anything.

The fact that you choose to whine about a word does not change its meaning one little bit.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by elviszzz: 12:06am On Jun 22, 2013
Jesus is d only WAY,D Truth n D LIFE. Make d right choice while u av d chance to.

5 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by BetaThings: 4:29am On Jun 22, 2013
Thriving on lies again!
Tariq Aziz, Iraqi deputy prime minister and foreign minister under Saddam is a Christian
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by BetaThings: 4:32am On Jun 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

don't mind him the dude is only fooling himself lmao.

go to 1:13:00 to 1:18:00 and see how they love khaffir , see what their imams tell them daily

Try again
Israel is sterilising black Jews to stop them breeding
Yet you still love them!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Language Barriers In Mosques / 12 Quick Ways For Parents To Inspire Manners To Their Children / How To Calculate Time For Each Daily Solat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.