Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,374 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Society Should Revert To Polygamy. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Society Should Revert To Polygamy. (1504 Views)

A Nairalander wishes to embrace Polygamy, Please advise. / Bad Attitude From A Wife Can Make Men Cheat Which Can Lead To Polygamy. / Advantages Of Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:24pm On Jun 24, 2013
Everyday I hear women complain about how their husband/boyfriend cheated on them and broke their heart inspite of all the love they have showered them with,all their faithfulness and loyalty. I often get bemused and wonder why these silly women think its ok for a man to get stuck with one woman all his life. I mean,when did monogamy became part of our culture ? Right from the early times man was created to have as many wife as he can,so long he can cater for them and make all his women happy.It is true that things have changed and we live in a modern world with greater population and more demand for food but what is wrong with a man having concubine/mistress,if its ok with the wife/wivies ? The problem we are creating in trying to force men to stick with one woman,deal with it and shut up is that we are making them to seek other means in satisfying God given nature,thereby,making them to cheat,secretly,bringing home diseases and what not. Women,don't you think you will be more comfortable if you know who your husband is sleeping with and her status ? I know some of you knuckle heads will jump in here and start saying "well,why can't women have multiple husbands,too" but the truth of the matter is that women weren't created to be like men and that's why God created us,differently. Women were created to answer to men that's why Sarah called Abraham "my lord". In some culture women do prostrate to their husbands as a sign of respect but todays women has desecrasted the sacredness of the man. They even go around buying dildos to bonk their fellow females...alu! My point is that women should back off and let us live as God created us,simple. And for all you jagbajantis who will rush in here to abuse me be ready because I'm fired up!
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:42pm On Jun 24, 2013
I am currently engaged to be married but before that I was seeing this black American chic whom I told I had a girl that I plan to marry but I don't mind having two wives,at first she frowned at it but after I explained how I will not overlook her and take care of her she bought the idea and I was very glad. Now,I had to find a way to talk my Naija chic into it who resides in Nigeria. When I first mentioned it she flipped and all hell got loose. I tried to pet and sweet talk her and she said NO. I know she love me and is very loyal,so,I threatened to quit the relashionship. Didn't call her for days and my friend called me and went off on me about my desires. This girl cried so hard that I was deeply troubled and that made me to change my mind but I told her not to disturb me about how I live my life outside of our matrimonial home and she agreed.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Enegod(m): 9:23pm On Jun 24, 2013
i like the idea of polygamy but you have to look at the good and bad side of it before coming to conclusion...the good side you have said..polygamy can lead to overpopulation,neglect,fight among wives and children,jelousy,hardship etc.
polygamy is not an option in this present world
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by kingjohnny(m): 9:48pm On Jun 24, 2013
These reasons are not genuine
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by UyiIredia(m): 10:14pm On Jun 24, 2013
NRI-PRIEST: You should consider that a reason why polygamy is phasing out is because it isn't affordable. In those days, when farming was the mainstay of a village's economy, having lots of wives and children was needful to get helping hands to farm huge plots and accumulate wealth. These days, education is more costly and cost of living has increased, so polygamy is not as viable. Not to mention the fact that Christianity looks down on it and modern women are getting averse to the notion of being a 2nd or nth wife.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
Honestly, without being hypocritical or pretending, threadstarter, you have valid points but Christianity frowns at polygamy and like another poster did said, modern women also frown at it.

Blame it on modern civilisation which is gradually backfiring on the world- environmental problems (pollution), same-sex marriages, increased suicidal rate due to societal disatisfaction, health hazards, delayed marriages, etc.

Man has really created more problems for himself than he solved.

Women by nature were created with high level of contentment, endurance, etc, but modern civilisation has changed them to the opposite and its a big problem to the world at large now.

Gender equality is another time-bomb waiting to explode with time. Women thought its favouring them, but at the long run, they will realise that gender equality was their enemy.

The world can only witness peace if we can revert to certain ancient practices like polygamy.

See, I am not trying to justify or encourage infidelity in marriage, and neither am I speaking for myself but from a scholarly perspective, and as a way of proferring solution to the rampant cheating amongst modern day married men in Africa, Nigeria as a case study. I know women cheat too, but cheating is often high amongst married men than in married women. Ladies can cheat when single but once married, majority stop cheating but men become worse.

Majority of men are born explorers. Majority are naturally born polygamous, and when u stop them from being legally polygamous, they must definitely find an alternative way to fulfill their inborn trait, and that's why majority of married men of today cheat on their wives.

If we had a situation that makes it like this:

If you are a man and u are okay with marrying one wife without looking elsewhere, then fine, and then, government would make a law that would punish a man caught cheating. And then, if u are a man and u have that innate desire for polygamy, u can go ahead legally, but if u cheat, u get punished.

And again, there will be a law to stop any man with inadequate resources (finance) from marrying more than one wife, and if you must marry more than one wife, u mustnt bear more than 5 children in all.

Ladies won't understand what this op is saying, but of the truth, he has some point, and polygamy is one of the ways to resolve this rampant cheating amongst married men of today becos as it stands today, over 80% of married men in this our region of d world cheat!

You can call me names or attack, truth hurts and people hate to be told truth if doesn't suit their wish/desire.

1 Like

Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by MrsChima(f): 11:36pm On Jun 24, 2013
Polygamy isn't for me and I am not into sharing appendages nor foreign fluids. I am okay with being alone if it ever comes down to that!!!
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by jmoore(m): 11:48pm On Jun 24, 2013
God created Adam and Eve and not Adam, Eve and Adaobi

David had many wives but he committed adultery with Bathsheba.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:08am On Jun 25, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Polygamy isn't for me and I am not into sharing appendages nor foreign fluids. I am okay with being alone if it ever comes down to that!!!

Says a "feminist" ! By the way,are you forgeting one thing ? !!Love Machine!!
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:09am On Jun 25, 2013
jmoore: God created Adam and Eve and not Adam, Eve and Adaobi

I see how you chosed the portion of the bible that supports your arguement.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by MrsChima(f): 12:12am On Jun 25, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Says a "feminist" ! By the way,are you forgeting one thing ? !!Love Machine!!

Proud feminist at that ho!
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 4:22am On Jun 25, 2013
How you live your life outside your home deeply affects how you live it inside the home.. You girl is crazy to continue with your selfish ass.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 25, 2013
Which kain talk be this?
Even if some men have 10 wives at home, they would still do their thing, so, what are we going about?
You people need to stop seeing women as properties, that is your problem! We're humans just like you, we want to be cherished and respected, we also have ego...gerrit?

Except op would agree that his wife-to-be can also do her thing outside the house and he wouldn't mind, THIS THREAD IS TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR-INSENSITIVE AND DEGRADING TO THE FEMININE GENDER!
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Mynd44: 5:41am On Jun 25, 2013
Like seriously?
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by tpia5: 2:27am On Jun 26, 2013
well, i looked it up and it seems sometimes in the olden days, men got too many wives.

when that happened, younger men were given access to some of the wives, in order to cater to their s.exual needs and prevent them complaining.

so, polygamy is not a totally lose-lose situation?
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Adaeze003(f): 11:00am On Jun 26, 2013
I hope you won't be bothered about her dealings outside her matrimonial home as well. Because when she reaches her elastic limit she''ll break out and begin her own adventures. Your future marriage will make a good nollywood movie. Goodluck! smiley
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 26, 2013
polygammy can be successful just like monogamy. We have seen examples of it in the past and present. Mrs chima, i can say the major reason you dont like polygamy is that you do not have the orientation of it. Being married to an igbo man doesnt make u know what it is (polygamy). Havent said that, i do not believe just any one should be allowed to go into polygamy.

I am a product of polygamy. My family is a role model for so many families. My father is highly respected in the locality (thats not because he has more than one wife but becos of his personality which is why he has being able to build such a beautiful family) his children are all morally upright and his kind of family are not rare on the contrary to what people think
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by tpia5: 4:52pm On Jun 26, 2013
^ your thread where you asked if you should beg a woman to be your girlfriend, sort of undermines your stance here. undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/1274085/it-ok-beg-woman-gf
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 26, 2013
tpia@:
^ your thread where you asked if you should beg a woman to be your girlfriend, sort of undermines your stance here. undecided

it only shows i value her so much. I dont go for ladies i dont feel for. The reason being that i cant lie to a woman. For ladies i dont feel for, i wont bother so much if she takes me or not. But because i feel for her and know her worth, i am afraid of one of the two possibilities that she may refuse me the opportunity to have such a wonderful person as a lover
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 26, 2013
tpia@:

pls show that it truely undermines my stance.

A bit of fear is healthy as it keeps you from being arrogant- one of the things some ladies do not like.

But pls lets stay on topic. If you still want to discuss that, we can go back to that thread
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by yesooo23: 5:12pm On Jun 26, 2013
great

Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 26, 2013
one very unfair thing people people do when comparing two things is to compare the strength of one to the weakness of the other. This is what people do most times when they compare monogamy to polygamy
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
i dont know if what i am going to say is meaninful. I try to be honest

those of you ladies who say it is inequality for a man to have more spouse than a woman should know that more number doesnt NECESSARILY mean inequality. Are you going to say because you cook more often, you are unequal with your man?
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 26, 2013
just as you do monogamy orientation in church (marriage classes) for monogamy to succeed, so too you need the orientation of polygamy for it to succeed.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by tpia5: 7:15pm On Jun 26, 2013
souldust: it only shows i value her so much. I dont go for ladies i dont feel for. The reason being that i cant lie to a woman. For ladies i dont feel for, i wont bother so much if she takes me or not. But because i feel for her and know her worth, i am afraid of one of the two possibilities that she may refuse me the opportunity to have such a wonderful person as a lover

souldust: pls show that it truely undermines my stance.

A bit of fear is healthy as it keeps you from being arrogant- one of the things some ladies do not like.

But pls lets stay on topic. If you still want to discuss that, we can go back to that thread

if you have to shake and bite your fingers before talking to a woman, not sure how you're going to fare with multiple ones.

they'll just beat you up and go off with your male friends after chopping your dollar.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2013
@Op, your topic is a bit misleading considering the fact that all the regions in Nigeria practise polygamy and you can't revert to something that is still in practice.

The only problem I have with polygamy in this modern age is that the present men are to weak to handle such an institution.

I mean our forefathers walked around unclad bootylicious women and it didn't affect them. Also they built huts for each of the wives and a separate hut for themselves. While still protecting and catering for their wives and children. Not forgetting that they also trained their sons to become men.

Unfortunately, today's man sees a butt of a seven year old girl and the next thing is rape. Today's man cannot afford to build a house for a wife not to talk of wives. Today's man is too lazy to protect and cater for his family: heck he constitutes the insecurity. Also not forgetting: today's men are so lazy that they shift the responsibility of turning boys into man unto their wives/sisters/mothers. Which is why we have so many sissy as men today.

But if you believe you can achieve more than your forefathers considering the age we are in , then go ahead and marry as much as you like.

2 Likes

Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 26, 2013
@Op, your topic is a bit misleading considering the fact that all the regions in Nigeria practise polygamy and you can't revert to something that is still in practice.

The only problem I have with polygamy in this modern age is that the present men are to weak to handle such an institution.

I mean our forefathers walked around unclad bootylicious women and it didn't affect them. Also they built huts for each of the wives and a separate hut for themselves. While still protecting and catering for their wives and children. Not forgetting that they also trained their sons to become men.

Unfortunately, today's man sees a butt of a seven year old girl and the next thing is rape. Today's man cannot afford to build a house for a wife not to talk of wives. Today's man is too lazy to protect and cater for his family: heck he constitutes the insecurity. Also not forgetting: today's men are so lazy that they shift the responsibility of turning boys into man unto their wives/sisters/mothers. Which is why we have so many sissy as men today.

But if you believe you can achieve more than your forefathers considering the age we are in , then go ahead and marry as much as you like.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by tpia5: 3:19am On Jun 27, 2013
I mean our forefathers walked around unclad bootylicious women and it didn't affect them

because they werent ninnies.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by Nobody: 4:50am On Jun 27, 2013
gbaky_floor:

Well said.
Re: Society Should Revert To Polygamy. by bknight: 8:01am On Jun 27, 2013
NRI PRIEST: I am currently engaged to be married but before that I was seeing this black American chic whom I told I had a girl that I plan to marry but I don't mind having two wives,at first she frowned at it but after I explained how I will not overlook her and take care of her she bought the idea and I was very glad. Now,I had to find a way to talk my Naija chic into it who resides in Nigeria. When I first mentioned it she flipped and all hell got loose. I tried to pet and sweet talk her and she said NO. I know she love me and is very loyal,so,I threatened to quit the relashionship. Didn't call her for days and my friend called me and went off on me about my desires. This girl cried so hard that I was deeply troubled and that made me to change my mind but I told her not to disturb me about how I live my life outside of our matrimonial home and she agreed.

Greed. And insensitive. did u have to talk abt a sensitive issue like that in a phone convo? Some issues are best tackled in person. Now I hope u don't mind whoever she'd be fvkking by now, since her loyalty wasn't returned she'd care less abt u now.

@ topic: polygamy may not be totally bad, its peeps like Op dat give it the bad image. Some women willingly accept it, its rare in today's 'civilization' though.

(1) (Reply)

Think twice before committing yourself to someone / Beware Of People You Chat With On Facebook!a Girl Just Run Mad / My Girlfriend Nags Alot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.