Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,622 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? (16793 Views)

10 Common Bad Habits That Cause Kidney Failure/damage / I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant / Nigeria Has 7 Hospitals For Kidney Transplant- Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by klodike(m): 11:29pm On Jun 30, 2013
druid06: I don't think medical surgeries of this complexicity could be done in Nigeria. It's too advance for our surgeons and moreover I don't think there is any hospital equipped for such surgery in Nigeria. If anyone thinks otherwise, please name one institution..
Mr man read prev comments b4 dropping urs. Successful kidney transplants done in AKTH, UITH, beninTH.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by klodike(m): 11:31pm On Jun 30, 2013
chei: Anyway, this question is irrelevant and out of place. OJB decides where he wants his transplant to be done all he wants is support. If he wants to go to the moon for the transplant, thats his business.
If you want to undergo a kidney transplant in nigeria, thats your business.
Qst is relevnt, cos they wnt Nigerians to wste money donating whilst culd b done @ cheaper rate.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by klodike(m): 11:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: I think we don't trust our hospitals. Don't blame them much, expecially people who v bad experience in Nigerian hospitals.
Moreso, I think people ll not want to gamble with their lives, expecially with a case like kidney transplant.
But with time, Nigerians ll still appreciate their own hospitals.
Of course, but when drs embark on strike for beta wrking condition, every Nigerian murmurs or calls dem heartless
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by klodike(m): 11:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
howfarwhatagwan: So that when something goes wrong the doctors can tell his family to take heart it was God's will? not trying to downplay Nigerian doctors expertise in fact I think they are doing very well considering the state of our hospitals it must be very difficult for them but believe me the number of people who die from 'minor ailments' is disheartening and makes every one afraid
Mr man, patients die everywhr. Weda USA, Germany, britain etc. If u present late or complications devp, u die.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by adeyinkaolajide: 12:40am On Jul 01, 2013
Umth(university of maiduguri teaching hosptal),Unilorinth, oauth are 3 of the federal government hospitals that renal transplant(nephrectomy) has been successfully carried out couple of times.
Saint Nicholas hospital on lagos island does laparoscopic nephrectomy almost every month. Dr Ebun Bamgboye is their consultant nephrologist.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by ajibsca: 12:42am On Jul 01, 2013
klodike:
Mr man, patients die everywhr. Weda USA, Germany, britain etc. If u present late or complications devp, u die.

"""" the number of people who die from 'minor ailments' is disheartening and makes every one afraid """"
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:44am On Jul 01, 2013
Inferiority complex! Full stop! And this cuts across every Nigerian citizen including the Government officials.

I know kwara state specifically is one of the states with very developed medical facilities. I even made some threads on it. I also read that an Advanced Diagnostic Centre has been opened in Ilorin. But fact is; all these won't stop deluded Nigerians from going 'abroad' for treatment. Even if na Cotonou, dem sha go 'abroad' for checkup/operation grin
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 01, 2013
The big question is "what if...?"
Let OJB go where his heart and money can take him. Besides needing expert attention, plus a stable system, he needs to be emotionally and mentally fit to cope. But naija, as presently constituted, does not inspire one's belief in the fatherland. Because the prolonged system failure in naija has led to a serious distrust of anything or anyone naija, even by Nigerians, and rightly so.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 01, 2013
ajibsca:

"""" the number of people who die from 'minor ailments' is disheartening and makes every one afraid """"

People who die in Nigerian hospital die mostly Cos of Nonchalant attitudes of Nigerians:
1. Nigerians don't do regular checkups
2. Nigerians don't go to the hospital when they are ill until they've tried everyother stupiid solutions (going to the chemist, drinking concoctions, praying/deliverance or not even using anything believing it will go by it self).

There will definitely be high rate of 'unsavable' deaths anywhere in the world where the citizens behave like this. Aaargh!
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by ajibsca: 2:24am On Jul 01, 2013
speedyboi:

People who die in Nigerian hospital die mostly Cos of Nonchalant attitudes of Nigerians:
2. Nigerians don't go to the hospital when they are ill until they've tried everyother stupiid solutions (going to the chemist, drinking concoctions, praying/deliverance or not even using anything believing it will go by it self).

There will definitely be high rate of 'unsavable' deaths anywhere in the world where the citizens behave like this. Aaargh!

When you can't have minor ailments treated , what can you do about the major surgeries... Believe me I have seen people die in this country due to very minor ailments, poor medical facilities and unpassionate Drs and Nurses who just want to get paid other than having the intent of being their brothers keepers and saving lives.....

Yea, this customer thing is prevalent everywhere from the grassroot to the top....Like they dont care, instead of doing their jobs...they act like they were forcefully employed .If they dont like their jobs,they can simply write a resignation letter instead of not doing what you are being paid to do and acting like people doing favors which of course are not free...
waybaloo: I think if people living here cant even feel they can get adequate basic healthcare treatment then how the heck are they going to submit themselves to open surgery like you described. I am sure there are very competent doctors here in Nigeria but the problem is deciphering them from the ones who are not! I have recently heard of two people who went abroad for a second opinion, one of them went straight to A & E as a result. I also know of one death which was a clear case of medical negligence. There is a distinct lack of trust and I have been told many times by many people if I get very ill ... leave the country! Having attended hospital quite a few times for minor issues with my kids I know why. In general there is a lack of customer care and attention in how patients are attended to here. As you sit with the doctor they are usually taking a phone call, addressing someone who has just walked into the room randomly or looking at you with the look of sheer boredom. And yes, I attend one of the very best hospitals here, supposedly. This is not confined to the healthcare sector. It is prevalent everywhere I go and everywhere I find myself a 'customer.' The banks are the worst, eye contact is not even made and they slope off walking very slowly to get whatever paper work. THIS is the issue. The attitude is insipid. And it is real.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by jay7(m): 5:01am On Jul 01, 2013
Hmm Nigeria anyway i believe everyone here has a point it can be done in this country but our people are afraid due to past experience, all we need to do is to keep praying for this country and also Educate our citizens on the need to believe in our own doctors.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 5:52am On Jul 01, 2013
druid06: I don't think medical surgeries of this complexicity could be done in Nigeria. It's too advance for our surgeons and moreover I don't think there is any hospital equipped for such surgery in Nigeria. If anyone thinks otherwise, please name one institution..
The lagoon hospital
St Nicholas hospital
Reddington hospital
However,none of the comes cheap and might even be more expensive than going to India.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by adeyinkaolajide: 6:48am On Jul 01, 2013
As @ d last time I checked, St Nicholas charges #6m - #8m for post + pre nephrectomy services if you av a donor.
Just my personal opinion o: d same equipments available in foreign hospitals are available here,expecially in d private hospitals. Electricity supply need to be improved, health sector workers welfares need to be look into with regular refresher courses, Nigerians need to be re-orientated, nhis ought to be effective so naija citizens who are tax payers enjoy free health care like it is done in uk etc. We can achieve this goals. We will get there if d FG start today by implementing some far reaching policies.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 7:06am On Jul 01, 2013
Who wan play loto with His life.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 01, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Why come to Niaraland and complain when you can just hug a transformer? see...some questions just dont have answers my friend....

most foo.lish post of all time. This is like a beggar saying NO to KFC foods and going for Sizzler food with donations.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 01, 2013
Nigerian doctors are brilliant. In virtually every major hospital in the UK, you'll find a Nigerian doctor occupying a prominent position. There's nothing wrong with them.

The issues in Nigeria are the environment they have to work in - poorly-equipped hospitals, inadequate / unstable power supply, poor support team etc. That can't be attributed to the Nigerian doctors themselves. They're doctors, not miracle workers.

With this, I'm perfectly happy to have a major operation carried out by a Nigerian doctor. Just not in a Nigerian hospital in Nigeria. It has absolutely nothing to do with being patriotic, and everything to do with staying alive.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by collynzo2(m): 9:35am On Jul 01, 2013
Ojeremi: Here in OAUTHC we perform renal transplant routinely. Patients are sent from different parts of this nation even neighborhood just for less than 4m.i don't understand why we like to waste resources abroad. Don't forget Stella OBJ died after surgery abroad. Let's have faith in our hospitals.
Maybe they need to travel to USA to treat malaria.
Yaradua too!
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 01, 2013
University of ilorin teaching hospital is not i remember when my mom was sick she was referred there from General hospital Ado Ekiti she spent days there and i was with her day and night one night she developed some complication and i rushed to the doctor on duty who was sleeping i begged him to please come he said he was on his way that i should go ahead i waited for like 30 mins and when he didn't show up i left to look for him again he was still sleeping alas at the point of begging him my younger sister called that she had given up , wont refer my enemy to ilorin teaching hospital its a butcher house and i pray OJB goes abroad but if he wants quick death the Unilorin teaching hospital ill recommend or any Nigerian Hospital
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by ModestSam(m): 10:02am On Jul 01, 2013
Pls speak for yourself and those you know my friend. I almost lost my sister, because the doctor forgot to stitch up after a caesarian section. My sister was bleeding international, and was going pale, and it could have gone the other way, if not for the prompt action of my mum, and the dr had to open her up, stitched what he forgot to stitch and closed her up again. So, it's not about the equipments, it's about the people operating the equipments, and their attitudes to work.
speedyboi:

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by texaco1: 10:10am On Jul 01, 2013
ModestSam: My sister was bleeding international
dis one na INTERNATIONAL GBAGUN
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 01, 2013
texaco1:
dis one na INTERNATIONAL GBAGUN
he meant to say internal bleeding
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Northernbelle(f): 10:17am On Jul 01, 2013
Evry individual might hav gone tru 1 or 2 incidences dat prompt dis lack of trust in our medical system here in Nigeria. If sum of pple say dey need 15mil while odas say dey need 5mil 4 d same treatment na dem sabi jst help wif woteva u can.

wots a 20mil compared to 1's life?
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 01, 2013
its pretty obvious that you didn't read the @OP background writing on this topic, if u you did, then you should have seen the name of institutions that do such surgeries in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:54am On Jul 01, 2013
texaco1:
my brother , there are standard procedures which must be taken and for our institutions to have carried out almost 90% successful kidney transplant that means they know all these procedures and they rigorously adhere to it. dont forget most of the doctors doing this surgeries are CONSULTANTS FOR MANY FOREIGN HOSPITALS , you need to see what our doctors can do , go to the Caribbeans nigerian doctors are not joked with , they are in high demand even in the usa

https://www.nairaland.com/885316/77-black-doctors-us-nigerians

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-us-medical-practice-dominated-by-nigerian-doctors-/110331/
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/online-special/44700-nigerian-doctor-elected-president-of-us-black-cardiologists.html

http://allafrica.com/stories/201210050044.html

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/people/nigerian-named-among-top-american-cardiologists.html

Sure I agree my sister self is a doctor. But what happens when during the surgery PHCN takes light? And the backup gen fails due to it not being serviced on time? or maybe the money for diesel was embezzled ?
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by texaco1: 11:00am On Jul 01, 2013
adewaleafolabi:

Sure I agree my sister self is a doctor. But what happens when during the surgery PHCN takes light? And the backup gen fails due to it not being serviced on time? or maybe the money for diesel was embezzled ?
haba ,my brother ,i am rolling on the floor with laughter .
naija is not bad as that oooooo
nigerians we dont trust anything that has to do with govt.all this is understandable and i think what can boost the image of our health institution is for goverment officials to stop going abroad for treatment.
if a notable national figure undergoes a major surgery operation in nigeria believe me ppl will know and have more faith in the system.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by docadams: 11:20am On Jul 01, 2013
texaco1:
but does the medical professional body in nigeria allow medical establishments to advertise what they can do or is there a law against such ?
You made my day! And I dont give commendations easily. In fact, if u were near me, I would have given u a bear hug.
Now I wont blame those that posted shallow and negative comments here for their usual Naija mentality.
It is true that the medical practise in Nigeria is still bound by old laws despite great strides made and are still being made in various specialties. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO ADVERTISE WHAT YOU CAN DO IN NIGERIA. Despite this, those priviledged to know what our hospitals can do seek their services quietly while many, as found e.g in nairaland, exude ignorance.
Recently, I was sponsored to a workshop on management of a medical emergency with some Britons as resource persons. Along the line, we mutually agreed that I should edit the lectures before presentation.
Let us not act as if hospitals in foreign lands are run by angels. Our problem is not lack of well trained personnel but that of motivation and adequate facilities. Request government to supply u necessary equipments and drugs to work you sometimes get outdated equipments supplied as new or unbranded drugs. If u raise an eyebrow you are either ignored or get threatened. Rarely, you get what u really asked for.
However, in some hospitals, where things are near normal, great strides are being made.
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 11:59am On Jul 01, 2013
bilms: The politician don't need donation to go abroad for their medication, my concern is if you have to seek for donation from Nigerians for the transplant, why can't you do the transplant here in Nigeria since we have competent hospitals?
have u made any donation ? If u haven't then,u r Js an empty vessel making loudest noise. Ppl like u will tell their cousin to stay in a mud house simply because they ask u 4 accommodation moni in skool nonsense!!!
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Decryptor(m): 12:16pm On Jul 01, 2013
U̶̲̥̅̊ wan make dem forget scissors inside your body ni?
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 01, 2013
ModestSam: Pls speak for yourself and those you know my friend. I almost lost my sister, because the doctor forgot to stitch up after a caesarian section. My sister was bleeding international, and was going pale, and it could have gone the other way, if not for the prompt action of my mum, and the dr had to open her up, stitched what he forgot to stitch and closed her up again. So, it's not about the equipments, it's about the people operating the equipments, and their attitudes to work.

This is a totally different case. And trust me when I say Doctors/Nurses like this abound everywhere in the world. Btw, I do agree most Nigerians are not dedicated to their jobs (civil servants, Health practitioners, police, Phcn, etc...). But we always fail to realise we are the ones bringing our country down with our own hands due to our attitudes to our various works. We'd rather put the blame on what's 'not there' (Government).

I always say it that what most Nigerians suffer from is due to the negligence of another Nigerian in his/her job. And our negligence in our various positions is also making another Nigerian to suffer.
ajibsca:

When you can't have minor ailments treated , what can you do about the major surgeries... Believe me I have seen people die in this country due to very minor ailments, poor medical facilities and unpassionate Drs and Nurses who just want to get paid other than having the intent of being their brothers keepers and saving lives.....

Yea, this customer thing is prevalent everywhere from the grassroot to the top....Like they dont care, instead of doing their jobs...they act like they were forcefully employed .If they dont like their jobs,they can simply write a resignation letter instead of not doing what you are being paid to do and acting like people doing favors which of course are not free...

Read the above
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by bilms(m): 2:00pm On Jul 01, 2013
hum
Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by ajibsca: 2:59pm On Jul 01, 2013
adewaleafolabi:

Re: Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? by ajibsca: 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2013
ifyalways:
The lagoon hospital
St Nicholas hospital
Reddington hospital
However,none of the comes cheap and might even be more expensive than going to India.

Now , where is the love ?? If Indian hospitals have MORE expertise and its cheaper to fly there, why would I risk my life when I know of course I can't live twice.My brothers, I have a very close elderly relative who is a Prostate Cancer survivor and is kicking strong even after yrs of surgery in the Middle East.... he was there at the time and considers himself lucky because it costs very little and they called it a minor operation. FYI I have seen a couple of friends or friends of friends whose relatives had Prostate Cancer and I personally did advise them to fly their folks to these countries... None of them ever flew their folks out for surgery and none of them ever survived the surgery in Nigeria. If you were in my shoes , What would you think

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? / 90% Of Nigerian Households Consume Feces-tainted Water / Coronavirus: Don’t Shake Hands, Don’t Hug, Aregbesola Warns Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.