Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,905 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) (10421 Views)

N5k Or Employments And Infrastructures Which One Is Preferably / (photos)ABA BAD Roads And People Suffering / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by nuclearboy(m): 11:10am On Jul 03, 2013
biafranqueen: Have not been to this part yet

Its a huge place,so large that its over 40 years I first got there and while I went to both high school and university plus have also lived there over 15 years, I doubt I know more than 2/3rds of it
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Gbawe: 11:32am On Jul 03, 2013
nuclearboy:

Its a huge place,so large that its over 40 years I first got there and while I went to both high school and university plus have also lived there over 15 years, I doubt I know more than 2/3rds of it

Thanks for the picture dude. Some of them really put some things in perspective. The picture of the new bridge, for example, shows an effective 'filter' solutions for drivers who simply wish to go straight ahead without being impeded by the junctions beneath the bridge. Pictures of the bridge in use also shows that lanes (going and oncoming) are more than wide enough and entirely functional.
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by rodeo0070(m): 12:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
MORE...

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by rodeo0070(m): 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2013

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by tawa89(f): 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2013
geeez: One thing people fail to realize is that Oyo State's landmass is almost the same with all the states of the SE put together

What this means is that should you see one in four houses being modern, it means all the modern houses in Oyo put together cannot fit space-wise into the biggest state in the SE

Its almost interesting that KFC will open in Ibadan ahead of any SE state.

Shoprite has also opened there are banks in the state are a lot more than you'll find anywhere else in Nigeria apart from Lagos

This can only mean that Oyo State is more commercial than any of the states people have chosen to compare it to
my friend shoprite has bin in Enugu for years....... And why are u lighting the fire of tribalism on this thread .
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 03, 2013
Interesting thread and pics. However, a lot still needs to be done.

Also, since I've promised to keep it real at all times - I'll go no holds barred and I don't care whose ox is going to be gored. We've got a massive population of Ibadan people in the UK and most of them are doing alright. So why can't they get Ibadan the help the city needs? The government can't fix private buildings. All those old buildings need a new look - especially the roofing and the exterior. The ancient city needs to be great again. These guys need to stop wasting money on champs in clubs and get back to building their city. Only an Ibadan guy will buy a big car, yet can't afford petrol.

I've got nothing but the utmost respect for Ibadan and Ibadan people - and my mum is from there(Molete to be exact). However Ibadan represents the cradle of Yoruba civilisation and we all need to keep the city alive. Shyte, I love Ibadan girls - they've got body for days. grin

Hale Molete!!

Hale Ibadan!!!

Ibadan is alive!!!! wink
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by TonySpike: 1:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
ShyM-X:
Interesting thread and pics. However, a lot still needs to be done.

Also, since I've promised to keep it real at all times - I'll go no holds barred and I don't care whose ox is going to be gored. We've got a massive population of Ibadan people in the UK and most of them are doing alright. So why can't they get Ibadan the help the city needs? The government can't fix private buildings. All those old buildings need a new look - especially the roofing and the exterior. The ancient city needs to be great again. These guys need to stop wasting money on champs in clubs and get back to building their city. Only an Ibadan guy will buy a big car, yet can't afford petrol.

I've got nothing but the utmost respect for Ibadan and Ibadan people - and my mum is from there(Molete to be exact). However Ibadan represents the cradle of Yoruba civilisation and we all need to keep the city alive. Shyte, I love Ibadan girls - they've got body for days. grin

Hale Molete!!

Hale Ibadan!!!

Ibadan is alive!!!! wink

You've got lots of warrior blood in you bruv, Ijebu + Ibadan...lol
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by mandarin: 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
[quote author=ShyM-X]Interesting thread and pics. However, a lot still needs to be done.

I quite disagree with your statement about old structures. Ibadan is an ancient city unlike many young towns and cities. in the year 1850's it was already a large city. Cities like Rome, London etc do have old structures combined with new ones and that's what make historical cities unlike very much new 21st century settlements. I do not think government need to encourage old structures be reconstructed or roofs removed but the city must reflect the existing different stages of its developments.
What government need to do is to build or encourage new settlements, new business districts, new markets, SME spirits to give a good image to the city and you must realize that compared to other states in Nigeria like Kaduna and Kano, Ibadan is not a city state as oyo state still have many other large towns as Ogbomoso, Oyo, Shaki, Ighoho, Iseyin, and many large towns and Kano and Kaduna allocations are far more than what the state get.So coupled with corruption and indifferent approach of some past governments, the city has been dilapidated until recent times.
Permit me to say that Ibadan has the potential to compete with Lagos if a serious government is sustained over 8 years. The size of the city exceeds that of any city in Nigeria may be except metropolitan Lagos!
Its market size and landmass make labor cost to be effectively low and cost of living is at rock bottom. Its a leading city in Poultry farming and can lead in industrial capacity if harnessed. The government of the state needs to harness its opportunities in raising the IGR to propel fast developments of the city. Ibadan alone needs at least $3 billion budget over a decade to glow it into an international city of repute while it has to develop major Central Business Districts to make it a better alternative to Lagos.
I know the city so well and I will advise the city infrastructures be developed especially more in areas of hygiene, sanitations, education, agriculture, finance and trade, within a decade it will be a power house and can reach a $30 billion GDP.
New areas of the city will need accelerated developments in the areas of new roads like Oluyole, Akobo, old Ife road etc to give them deserved aesthetic looks. I do not know in how many cities in Nigeria would you travel or drive at high speed consistently on a Sunday morning for 40 minutes like Ibadan, may be even over an hour in an unbroken settlements, the city is a gold Nigerians must mine and up till now its still the second highest energy consuming city in Nigeria, its a huge and promising market people.

3 Likes

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
Tony Spike:

You've got lots of warrior blood in you bruv, Ijebu + Ibadan...lol

grin grin grin

Perhaps, that's why I used to be a hot-head and fearless. grin
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
mandarin: I quite disagree with your statement about old structures. Ibadan is an ancient city unlike many young towns and cities. in the year 1850's it was already a large city. Cities like Rome, London etc do have old structures combined with new ones and that's what make historical cities unlike very much new 21st century settlements. I do not think government need to encourage old structures be reconstructed or roofs removed but the city must reflect the existing different stages of its developments.
What government need to do is to build or encourage new settlements, new business districts, new markets, SME spirits to give a good image to the city and you must realize that compared to other states in Nigeria like Kaduna and Kano, Ibadan is not a city state as oyo state still have many other large towns as Ogbomoso, Oyo, Shaki, Ighoho, Iseyin, and many large towns and Kano and Kaduna allocations are far more than what the state get.So coupled with corruption and indifferent approach of some past governments, the city has been dilapidated until recent times.
Permit me to say that Ibadan has the potential to compete with Lagos if a serious government is sustained over 8 years. The size of the city exceeds that of any city in Nigeria may be except metropolitan Lagos!
Its market size and landmass make labor cost to be effectively low and cost of living is at rock bottom. Its a leading city in Poultry farming and can lead in industrial capacity if harnessed. The government of the state needs to harness its opportunities in raising the IGR to propel fast developments of the city. Ibadan alone needs at least $3 billion budget over a decade to grw it into an international city of repute while it has to develop major Central Business Districts to make it a better alternative to Lagos.
I know the city so well and I will advise the city infrastructures be developed especially more in areas of hygiene, sanitations, education, agriculture, finance and trade, within a decade it will be a power house and can reach a $30 billion GDP.

Sir, I understand your point. Most of the cities in the UK are like that - combination of old Victorian houses and the new. Heck, the face/beauty of London are the architectural masterpieces of the medieval ages and the time of yore. However, what makes London different from Ibadan is that - the old buildings have been brought into modern times, through maintenance and modernising the exterior aesthetics - with the old structures still in place.
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by nuclearboy(m): 2:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ibadan is changing - it was slow but believe me, whats happening now will surprise many. That's why I am using photos that show not just roads, but what we are building nowadays, like below

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 03, 2013
^^^^Sir, I know there are tons of massive mansions scattered all over Ibadan. I have seen pictures and I can give you links on the internet.

However, this is about the old structures and bringing them into modern times. I believe Ibadan and Abeokuta(awesome Egba architectural masterpieces) can become the London/Paris/Vienna/Moscow etc. of Nigeria.
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 03, 2013
geeez: One thing people fail to realize is that Oyo State's landmass is almost the same with all the states of the SE put together

What this means is that should you see one in four houses being modern, it means all the modern houses in Oyo put together cannot fit space-wise into the biggest state in the SE

Its almost interesting that KFC will open in Ibadan ahead of any SE state.

Shoprite has also opened there are banks in the state are a lot more than you'll find anywhere else in Nigeria apart from Lagos

This can only mean that Oyo State is more commercial than any of the states people have chosen to compare it to

Guy, make una forget it. D pics are boring. Are these the rebranded ihe wa? Check any houseworth looking at-it must be a public building. All public buildings are fine even if its in Ogbomosho.

I dont give a damn abt d size of SE, the most impt thing is that each inch in villages have MANSIONS, beautifully built. Then, the capitals, u know nah

.......whatever is your reason for mentioning SE in your first post.
Am still shuddering at the crowd of brown zinc and low-cost houses
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 03, 2013
Shymexx let me tell you something about those old structures you're looking at, most of them are family houses, where more than 15 families claim as their family compound. Why they don't renovate it I don't know, but what I know is, even to sell it is a big problem, because no one single person, not even the Mogaji can do anything without the approval of other arms of the family, you can imagine that most people were polygamous back then, those are many of the hindrances to the quick development of the ancient part of ibadan.

Many of the children of owners of those building live in better houses themselves in newer parts of the city.

Senator Lanlehin for example, repaired his family house and repainted it, but he never changed the roofs, its not about not being able to change it but not wanting to change it.

I'll try and a get a picture of that building at 'ode oolo' along 'oniyanrin' area.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
ShyM-X:
^^^^Sir, I know there are tons of massive mansions scattered all over Ibadan. I have seen pictures and I can give you links on the internet.

However, this is about the old structures and bringing them into modern times. I believe Ibadan and Abeokuta(awesome Egba architectural masterpieces) can become the London/Paris/Vienna/Moscow etc. of Nigeria.

Guy, foret it too. At least, those Victorian houses look impressive and u can find their rich ppl living there?

Ibadan houses are not impressive. Build a fine house and ask any of ibadan residents to pack into it, u go see rush. Are your politicians living in those houses.

Poverty is sth that should never be celebrated
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Guy, make una forget it. D pics are boring. Are these the rebranded ihe wa? Check any houseworth looking at-it must be a public building. All public buildings are fine even if its in Ogbomosho.

I dont give a damn abt d size of SE, the most impt thing is that each inch in villages have MANSIONS, beautifully built. Then, the capitals, u know nah

.......whatever is your reason for mentioning SE in your first post.
Am still shuddering at the crowd of brown zinc and low-cost houses

All the fine houses in the whole of enugu, owerri and awka will not fill up apata-odo ona area alone.
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Guy, foret it too. At least, those Victorian houses look impressive and u can find their rich ppl living there?

Ibadan houses are not impressive. Build a fine house and ask any of ibadan residents to pack into it, u go see rush. Are your politicians living in those houses.

Poverty is sth that should never be celebrated

^^^^STFU and don't quote me, the forest dwelling primitive one. I'm sure if Ibadan people are to post the mansions in their city, it'll outnumber those in all your cities combined. You lot struggled to post 200 pics on your primitive thread - yet you go around chest-beating like silver-back gorillas.

GTFOH!!

2 Likes

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by tpia5: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2013
Is shymex yoruba at all, or nigerian for that matter.

He claims too much.
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by tpia5: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2013
Topic

Nice pictures
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
django1: Shymexx let me tell you something about those old structures you're looking at, most of them are family houses, where more than 15 families claim as their family compound. Why they don't renovate it I don't know, but what I know is, even to see it is a big problem, because no one single person, not even the Mogaji can do anything without the approval of other arms of the family, you can imagine that most people were polygamous back then, those are many of the hindrances to the quick development of the ancient part of ibadan.

Many of the children of owners of those building live in better houses themselves in newer parts of the city.

Senator Lanlehin for example, repaired his family house and repainted it, but he never changed the roofs, its not about not being able to change it but not wanting to change it.

I'll try and a get a picture of that building at 'ode oolo' along 'oniyanrin' area.

I'm just saying they need to also look after the old structures as well.

We need to make Ibadan super-attractive.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2013
tpia@:
Is shymex yoruba at all, or nigerian for that matter.

He claims too much.

Or you want me surname, ancestral name, mother's maiden name, to ascertain where I'm from? grin

Why would I ever want to claim the place if I don't have any connection with it? Have you ever seen me claim other Yoruba states?

Heck, if I want to use both paternal and maternal grandparents - then you'll find out that I'm "tri-costal" in Yorubaland. wink But I'm 50% Ijebu.
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by tpia5: 3:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
tawa89: my friend shoprite has bin in Enugu for years....... And why are u lighting the fire of tribalism on this thread .

my dear, help me ask him. Imagine sb that boast of non-yoruba enterprises in his own land while Onitsha peeps are even crying 'foul' at Peter Obi for encouraging Shoprite in Onitsha. Smh.....
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by tpia5: 3:12pm On Jul 03, 2013
When igbos were posting nasty pictures of ibadan and insulting the place, why didnt you claim your mum was from ibadan then?

You saw photos which werent bad and suddenly you became half ibadan.

Just saying.

Feel free to post a link to any thread prior to this one where you mentioned you are related to ibadan, if you can do so then i stand corrected.

1 Like

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
ShyM-X:

^^^^STFU and don't quote me, the forest dwelling primitive one. I'm sure if Ibadan people are to post the mansions in their city, it'll outnumber those in all your cities combined. You lot struggled to post 200 pics on your primitive thread - yet you go around chest-beating like silver-back gorillas.

GTFOH!!

guy take am easy. Is not a barking matter

1 Like

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
You're a learner!! I've always talked about my Ibadan ancestry on this forum and my mum being from there, even when they were posting the dirty pictures - ask ileke_idi and the other poster called Tolannnni from Ibadan. I've been saying it since day one, hence why I always make fun of the way they pronounce "ch," "sh" etc..

Anyway, your opinions don't count. I'm Ijebu and forever will be but I can't deny Ibadan. undecided undecided
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
ngozievergreen:

guy take am easy. Is not a barking matter

Next time - learn how to shut the fvck up and speak when you're asked to. Only primitive and uncouth hicks jump into convos without asking for permission to speak.

Now run along!! undecided
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by TonySpike: 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
Who is this ngozievergreen?
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
Tony Spike: Who is this ngozievergreen?

She's a handsome-looking and elephantiasis-of-the-face having tranny from Enugu, with a little willy, who gets her beards sweaty every time there's a thread about Yoruba people.

These pillocks don't even know that the more the negative energy they give out about other people, the more people start to hate them - law of equilibrium.

I used to create threads about one-Nigeria and black people coming together as one when I joined this forum cos there's power in number. But muthafvk these annoying people - I can't stand most of them! undecided

1 Like

Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by toosweet: 3:54pm On Jul 03, 2013
Nothing on Iwo road/Ojoo axis
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 03, 2013
toosweet: Nothing on Iwo road/Ojoo axis

If you have a picture of those places post it.

Monatan, ojoo, sango, bodija, samonda, felele etc
Re: Ibadan's new look (roads and infrastructures) by RareDiamond: 4:05pm On Jul 03, 2013
I WOULD HAVE IGNORED THIS THREAD BUT FOR THE IDI.OTIC GEEZ TALKING TRASH. A HUGE PART OF IBADAN IS A SLUM WITH POOR ECONOMY FILLED WITH VERY TRIBALISTIC PEOPLE. Ibadan is the capital of old western region hence it is an old city. It would be wonderful if speed trains ply lagos to ibadan because it would bring more developments to this city as people would be able to work in lagos and live in Ibadan. As movement between boTh states would be in 45 minutes. IF THIS THREAD INTENDS TO PORTRAY IBADAN IN GOOD LIGHT, THEN IT WOULD BE WISE TO AVOID MENTIONING ANY IGBO STATE, INCLUDING DELTA STATE. TRIBALISTIC PIGS SHOULD BE GUILDED.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bindow Jibrilla Visits Bomb Blast Victims, Bans Night Market / 104 Dapchi Girls Arrive Yobe To Reunite With Family / Umahi: Tinubu Does Not Need To Show Any Proof Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.