Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,572 members, 7,958,769 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:19 PM

Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist (12677 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / Will/Can A Feminist Make A Good And Wife Material? / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 9:03pm On Jul 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

Billie Jean King is a living tennis legend, multiple tennis grand slam winner, feminist and social activist. She was front and center in the fight for equality of the male and female tennis circuit including equal pay. She was part of the women's lib movement.

How is there equality in the male and female tennis circuit pay? Men play a minimum of 3 sets and up 5. Women never play more than 3 and typically 2.

Both the male and female winners at this years Wimbledon tournament took home £1.6 million. Based on work done, any notion of equal pay is a nonsense. True equality would demand the women worked harder, the men worked less or alternatively the men were paid more.

In the semi's, the eventual womens winner won over two sets in something like 62 minutes - a long lunch. The eventual mens runner-up was on court for over 4 hours and played 5 sets. A proper days work.

More equal outcome than equal pay. And certainly not equal input

TV

2 Likes

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 9:31pm On Jul 08, 2013
That point has been argued so ....

One male player that broached it risked being branded sexist

But women will never accept
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 9:34pm On Jul 08, 2013
And this is why men n women stick together in my view

If not for kids....

There would be less marriages.....

Sweet post
77 likes
TV01:

As a Christian, the short answer here is biblical writ, which I believe even non-believers are aware of even if they don't subscribe to it.

But whatever your faith or choice not to subscribe to any, one needs only look at how societies have developed - or how they work in practice - to reach that objective conclusion. Most especially when bearing in mind the optimal benefit to men, women, children and hence society as a whole.

Society has a vested interest in ensuring it's perpetuation and hence raising of the next generation, the simplest way to do this is for men to commit to the mother of the children they jointly produce. This means whilst the state still has to spend on infrastructure (hospitals, schools etc), the welfare bill is reduced.

Co-habitation is not as good for kids, rarely proving as enduring as marriage. Polygamy is second best here as all things being equal there will be less time and resource for the children and women and it does not meet the emotional needs of the women involved as well. Polyandry will never have widespread acceptance by men. Men are more likely to commit and provide when the parenthood of children is not in doubt and the female is monogamous. SSM is nowhere, it's not actually procreative, unitive or coital. They can't actually have s.ex and they can't really be married. Any children are by design denied one of their biological parents. Single parenthood is likewise not optimal. All told children thrive best with their biological parents.

I could go on about the benefits to men and more about those to women, but it could get expansive. But that's a starter for 10. Open to question or challenge.

Criteria, benefits to men, women and children. Most natural and cost effective and least likely to engender societal ills.

TV
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
TV01:

How is there equality in the male and female tennis circuit pay? Men play a minimum of 3 sets and up 5. Women never play more than 3 and typically 2.

Both the male and female winners at this years Wimbledon tournament took home £1.6 million. Based on work done, any notion of equal pay is a nonsense. True equality would demand the women worked harder, the men worked less or alternatively the men were paid more.

In the semi's, the eventual womens winner won over two sets in something like 62 minutes - a long lunch. The eventual mens runner-up was on court for over 4 hours and played 5 sets. A proper days work.

More equal outcome than equal pay. And certainly not equal input

TV

Please direct your rant at the tennis associations or the players that fought for it. I never said I support the equal pay in this instance. I was only answering the question of who Billie Jean King is and presenting the plain facts. Please focus on what you are reading not on what you are conjuring up in your mind.

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 08, 2013
Abeg kulyie carry go, nothing do you.

It is always amusing to see men crying about the evilness of single parenthood whenever a woman says she doesn't desire marriage. Its almost as if they cannot bear the thought that women can exist independently without them.

In how many Nigerian families do the fathers actually take active interest in raising the children? Many Nigerian men look down on childcare and they regard it as something that is beneath them, something that women are meant to do, not the type of work that 'real men' should get involved in. They believe that their major and most important responsibility is providing money for the house, yet the children from their families still turn out fine and well balanced.
Presence of a father in the house does not necessarily translate to good, well behaved children and it might even lead to the opposite in some cases smiley.
I see nothing wrong with single parenthood and I am even considering it myself. . . .

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
^^^smh
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by tintingz(m): 10:24pm On Jul 08, 2013
^^ i SMH join
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ^^^smh
tintingz: ^^ i SMH join
grin
When una shake tire, you can stop shaking and go and sit down.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

Please direct your rant at the tennis associations or the players that fought for it. I never said I support the equal pay in this instance. I was only answering the question of who Billie Jean King is and presenting the plain facts. Please focus on what you are reading not on what you are conjuring up in your mind.

Rant? Merely pointing out that at least one of your so called "plain facts" bear no real basis in truth. And whatever your position - be it you festoon your home in support or go on hunger strike in protest - is a moot point. Best of 3 sets is obviously your level.

Cheers big ears (analyse that grin)

TV

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
TV01:

Rant? Merely pointing out that at least one of your so called "plain facts" bear no real basis in truth. And whatever your position - be it you festoon your home in support or go on hunger strike in protest - is a moot point. Best of 3 sets is obviously your level.

Cheers big ears (analyse that grin)

TV

And as usual you make no sense whatsoever. Did you read what I wrote at all? I said she fought for equal pay. It is a fact that men and women pro tennis players receive equal pay. It's as simple as that. Whether that makes you want to blow a gasket or not is not really my problem. The plain fact is that they enjoy equal pay. I truly couldn't care less how that makes you feel.

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by tintingz(m): 11:18pm On Jul 08, 2013
fellis:
grin
When una shake tire, you can stop shaking and go and sit down.
How you go get the belle? undecided
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 08, 2013
tintingz: How you go get the belle? undecided
u dey mind her?

fellis , u made me puke with that comment
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 08, 2013
* almost
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 08, 2013
tintingz: How you go get the belle? undecided
Let me be the one to worry about that.
You can worry about the fact that less and less women are dependent on men smiley
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: u dey mind her?

fellis , u made me puke with that comment
Why now? Cam? You refused to convert to Islam and marry me so now I want to be a single mum cry
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
Why now? Cam? You refused to convert to Islam and marry me so now I want to be a single mum cry
good luck on your Old hags' path undecided undecided
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
Let me be the one to worry about that.
You can worry about the fact that less and less women are dependent on men smiley
it seems like many of u think being a baby mama is a kind of social status . disgusting
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: it seems like many of u think being a baby mama is a kind of social status . disgusting
CAMEROONPRIDE: good luck on your Old hags' path undecided undecided

Is that the best you can do?
You'd have to come up with more derogatory words if you want to dissuade me.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 8:32am On Jul 09, 2013
Fellis

If I may ask wat are your views

If you are d first wife would you allow your hubby to bring in a second wife

If you are not the first wife, will you marry into such a house hold
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:

Is that the best you can do?
You'd have to come up with more derogatory words if you want to dissuade me.
I said Good luck, I ain't trying to dissuade u lipsrsealed grin grin grin
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I said Good luck, I ain't trying to dissuade u lipsrsealed grin grin grin
You were trying to make single motherhood look disgusting and unattractive wink
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 09, 2013
biolabee: Fellis
If I may ask wat are your views
If you are d first wife would you allow your hubby to bring in a second wife
If you are not the first wife, will you marry into such a house hold
If I am the first wife, then I would probably let him marry another wife, it depends on three things: first, me and the new wife must be living in seperate houses, second he should marry her at the time when I am no longer in love with him or attracted to him that'll be like after a number of years pass in the marriage.
Third, my personal income should be about enough to cater for myself and my children without any help from him.

I doubt that I will ever be willing or able to be a second wife.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
You were trying to make single motherhood look disgusting and unattractive wink
of course it is, .single motherhood is disgusting and his a shame, tua, God forbid, I look down on such wastes .except if your husband left or died.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: of course it is, .single motherhood is disgusting and his a shame, tua, God forbid, I look down on such wastes .except if your husband left or died.
Your opinion man
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
Your opinion man
u thot it was urs?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 9:48am On Jul 09, 2013
Sweet pragmatic response

Thanks for your response

fellis:
If I am the first wife, then I would probably let him marry another wife, it depends on three things: first, me and the new wife must be living in seperate houses, second he should marry her at the time when I am no longer in love with him or attracted to him that'll be like after a number of years pass in the marriage.
Third, my personal income should be about enough to cater for myself and my children without any help from him.

I doubt that I will ever be willing or able to be a second wife.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 09, 2013
@ fellis why are u so concerned about your position?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 09, 2013
biolabee: Sweet pragmatic response

Thanks for your response

biola what about you? Can you marry a second wife?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: @ fellis why are u so concerned about your position?
huh? I don't understand
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
huh? I don't understand
why you don't want to b or don't see yourself as 2nd , 3rd, 4th .....wife?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: why you don't want to b or don't see yourself as 2nd , 3rd, 4th .....wife?
If I am the 2nd wife, I will be expected to show some sort of obeisance or obedience to the first wife, considering the fact that she is the most senior wife. I would have to show her a kind of respect or acknowledgement as the head of all the wives and I don't want to do any such thing.
I am not having any of that crap, I should be the one receiving the respect and acknowledgement from other wives.
Another reason why I would like to be first is because I don't want to cause unhappiness to the first wife by becoming the second. Its possible that the first wife wouldn't have wanted her husband to marry again and if I marry that husband it will make the wife very unhappy, maybe depressed and that will in turn affect how she raises her children and affect the quality of her relationship with their father.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
If I am the 2nd wife, I will be expected to show some sort of obeisance or obedience to the first wife, considering the fact that she is the most senior wife. I would have to show her a kind of respect or acknowledgement as the head of all the wives and I don't want to do any such thing.
I am not having any of that crap, I should be the one receiving the respect and acknowledgement from other wives.
Another reason why I would like to be first is because I don't want to cause unhappiness to the first wife by becoming the second. Its possible that the first wife wouldn't have wanted her husband to marry again and if I marry that husband it will make the wife very unhappy, maybe depressed and that will in turn affect how she raises her children and affect the quality of her relationship with their father.
cool cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Gender And Chores- Issues In Relationships And Marriages / Suraj "Jarus" Oyewole's Statement About Assault Charge / What Do We Really Need Polygamy For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.