Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,451 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

Rise Of The Feminist Wedding - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (38784 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / I'm An African American Woman That Grew Up In The FEMINIST Way Of Life- Help! / The Truth About The Feminist Revolution 1-8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 26, 2013
~No veils, no engagement ring - and don't DARE try to give me away
~Brides are increasingly shunning traditions surrounding weddings
~Choosing not to have engagement rings or wear white on the day
~Almost a quarter plan to keep their maiden name after marriage
~19% agree aspects of traditional weddings are 'anti-feminist'
~But 76% still want to be walked down the aisle by their father

The image of a veiled bride walking down the aisle on her father's arm could become a thing of the past as a growing trend for 'feminist weddings' has been detected among modern brides to be.

Doing away with the engagement ring, choosing not to be 'given away like property' and wearing a colour other than white are key themes gaining traction in the feminist wedding trend.

The findings, revealed in a survey of 200 brides to be, revealed that almost a quarter of women planned on keeping their maiden name after marriage, while one in 10 were planning to wear a colour other than white on their wedding day.

Traditions such as the wearing of an engagement ring are also increasingly being rejected by brides who feel it is anti-feminist - with such an obvious token to be worn on the finger marking the woman in question as 'taken'.

The tradition of wearing a veil is being similarly rejected, as some women believe it plays into the idea that a woman is 'revealed' to her husband as the virgin bride (though actually the use of a veil is steeped in history and has very different significance across multiple cultures).

However, while there is undoubtedly a stirring among young brides to be, parents can take comfort in the fact that while some women are beginning to push back against the patriarchy, the majority are still keen to uphold certain traditions, with 76 per cent of brides saying they really would like their father to walk them down the aisle.

SOURCE

5 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 2:56pm On Jul 26, 2013
feminist wedding?

it sounds almost like an oxymoron - so feminists do actually marry? that's a big laugh!!! no engagement ring? well, that saves me a fortune....

keeping their maiden name? why marry at all then? isn't marriage supposed to be 2 becoming one? this is the most hilarious article ever. feminists are confused!

38 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by yiboboy: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
Mumu peeps! Shouldn't their mums be walking them down the aisle?

10 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by biolabee(m): 3:57pm On Jul 26, 2013
good news... ,means that they can fund the wedding

25 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 26, 2013
wow... undecided

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 5:51pm On Jul 26, 2013
biolabee: good news... ,means that they can fund the wedding

can they? you mean a feminist would buy herself a ring worth her 6 month salary?

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
So what's left of the "wedding".

Bullcrap
undecided

3 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by dayokanu(m): 6:01pm On Jul 26, 2013
Welcome development

Why even marry just cohabit, Cos marriage is even anti feminist

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2013
dayokanu: Welcome development

Why even marry just cohabit, Cos marriage is even anti feminist

that's why i said it's an oxymoron.....they want to keep their maiden name because answering their hubby's name is antifeminist. meanwhile, the maiden name is their father's last name which is also patriarchal!

see how confused these women are....

22 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by dayokanu(m): 6:08pm On Jul 26, 2013
Waiting for the NL feminist opinion on this

Ileobatojo where are you?

3 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 6:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
dayokanu: Waiting for the NL feminist opinion on this

ileobatojo cannot be married and be a feminist. she's married so she isn't a feminist. she just aspires to be one but it's too late for her. grin

2 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 26, 2013
dayokanu: Waiting for the NL feminist opinion on this

coogar:

ileobatojo cannot be married and be a feminist. she's married so she isn't a feminist. she just aspires to be one but it's too late for her. grin

Lol. Haters!! angry grin

@ thread. This is one for the trolls isn't it. Cause it makes no damn sense to me. This is actually a cause some people pursue? Okay now. More grease to their jobless elbows.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar:

I didnt know Ileoba was married oo.

So how does it feel answering a mans last name, Cooking for a mere man, Being under while he pounds away, being called a Mrs, Having a man open the door for you(like you cant do it for yourself), buying you ring and other anti feminist ideas
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by homesteady(m): 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2013
Some women are taking this feminism to too far!!
This is actually crazy

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2013
I would have kept mine but the name long no be small. grin

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by lifestyle1(m): 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2013
movie ?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by coogar: 6:24pm On Jul 26, 2013
ileobatojo:
Lol. Haters!! angry grin

@ thread. This is one for the trolls isn't it. Cause it makes no damn sense to me. This is actually a cause some people pursue? Okay now. More grease to their jobless elbows.

ileoba, are you not one of them? when i said your feminism is the mgbeke type, you wanted my head on a plate. i think we now know who the real feminists are unlike the ones puffing their chests on NL.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by juman(m): 6:24pm On Jul 26, 2013
yiboboy: Mumu peeps! Shouldn't their mums be walking them down the aisle?

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by point5: 6:25pm On Jul 26, 2013
Stori stori..
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by dasparrow: 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2013
@Post

What is a feminist?
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by EmmaB3(m): 6:27pm On Jul 26, 2013
I laugh unah!
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Koolking(m): 6:27pm On Jul 26, 2013
coogar: feminist wedding?

it sounds almost like an oxymoron - so feminists do actually marry? that's a big laugh!!! no engagement ring? well, that saves me a fortune....

keeping their maiden name? why marry at all then? isn't marriage supposed to be 2 becoming one? this is the most hilarious article ever. feminists are confused!

You did justice to pun by the op. Feminists are pretenders hiding behind female, shooting in dark hoping to make a hit. How sarcastic this sounds.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Aleeyouchalawa(m): 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2013
keeked: ~No veils, no engagement ring - and don't DARE try to give me away
~Brides are increasingly shunning traditions surrounding weddings
~Choosing not to have engagement rings or wear white on the day
~Almost a quarter plan to keep their maiden name after marriage
~19% agree aspects of traditional weddings are 'anti-feminist'
~But 76% still want to be walked down the aisle by their father

The image of a veiled bride walking down the aisle on her father's arm could become a thing of the past as a growing trend for 'feminist weddings' has been detected among modern brides to be.

Doing away with the engagement ring, choosing not to be 'given away like property' and wearing a colour other than white are key themes gaining traction in the feminist wedding trend.

The findings, revealed in a survey of 200 brides to be, revealed that almost a quarter of women planned on keeping their maiden name after marriage, while one in 10 were planning to wear a colour other than white on their wedding day.

Traditions such as the wearing of an engagement ring are also increasingly being rejected by brides who feel it is anti-feminist - with such an obvious token to be worn on the finger marking the woman in question as 'taken'.

The tradition of wearing a veil is being similarly rejected, as some women believe it plays into the idea that a woman is 'revealed' to her husband as the virgin bride (though actually the use of a veil is steeped in history and has very different significance across multiple cultures).

However, while there is undoubtedly a stirring among young brides to be, parents can take comfort in the fact that while some women are beginning to push back against the patriarchy, the majority are still keen to uphold certain traditions, with 76 per cent of brides saying they really would like their father to walk them down the aisle.

SOURCE

am waiting for ladan to call for sallah, me wan drink water abeg...
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by ichommy(m): 6:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
Eh? Film
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by dayokanu(m): 6:30pm On Jul 26, 2013
[size=13pt]76% of Feminists still want to be walked down the aisle by their father?

What happened to their mothers walking them [/size]
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Afam4eva(m): 6:31pm On Jul 26, 2013
It beats me why humans just like causing confusion. We were created as tribes and as if that was not enough, people started creating religion. As if that was not enough, women started asserting themselves in the most stup1d ways. As if that's not enough, one day we'll have children fighting for their rights from their parents. Kai.

5 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by armyofone(m): 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
what is a feminist?
what is fem-nazi?

i'm confused oh.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by question(m): 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2013
Friends for benefit is a cheaper option.
Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2013
Afam4eva: It beats me why humans just like causing confusion. We were created as tribes and as if that was not enough, people started creating religion. As if that was not enough, women started asserting themselves in the most stup1d ways. As if that's not enough, one day we'll have children fighting for their rights from their parents. Kai.

That makes life fun. If everything were perfect how will life be? Boring!

So enjoy life bro.

3 Likes

Re: Rise Of The Feminist Wedding by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
Popcorn + Coke cool.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

See Moment A Little Boy Kicked His Mom's Pot Of Stew While Dancing(See Reaction) / How Can A 37 Yrs Old Single Lady Attract Suitors? / I Want To Die, 85-year-old Woman Rejected By Children Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.