Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,818 members, 7,817,381 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (15285 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ektbear: 10:16am On Jul 04, 2013
waste of time
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 10:17am On Jul 04, 2013
I juggest afta d orientation camp, all d N19,800 for d yr shld be calculated n given to corp member once to go n start up sumfin wit it n b self employ. Wot do u fink?

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 10:17am On Jul 04, 2013
I suggest afta d orientation camp, all d N19,800 for d yr shld be calculated n given to corp member once to go n start up sumfin wit it n b self employ. Wot do u fink?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by surplussurplus: 10:17am On Jul 04, 2013
for what?next
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ELgordo(m): 10:18am On Jul 04, 2013
They should do as they like joor . . . I don flex my NYSC bar finisssssssssss
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by WildChild00(m): 10:19am On Jul 04, 2013
National youth service corps, should not be scrapped, this is one of the only means whereby youths across the nation can get to meet each other, exchange ideals, culture etc today the case might be different due to one or two occurance in some region of the country, perhaps as a result of political instability, Nysc is meant to bring peace and unity among corp members especially during their community development program.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by morenath(m): 10:20am On Jul 04, 2013
Am a corper,am facind hrdship here but I wanna say emphatically dat it is a platform to make or mar a man........NYSC should not be scrapped....longlife NYSC ..my unborn kids will serve but it could be review

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by mesther96(f): 10:21am On Jul 04, 2013
op,who cares about your personal thought or feelingsfor all i care you can go to the national assembly and voice out your opinion about nysc! c wat ASUU strike dey cause nw,joblesness!sad
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by timecop28: 10:22am On Jul 04, 2013
I don't support the popular view that it should be scrapped because if you look at the state of the nation right now, you would see that NYSC seems to be the only thing that cushions against the effects of the Unemployment situation in the country, plus many other advantages of the programme.
The policy only needs to be reviewed because in the real and unbiased sense, its merits far outweighs its demerits.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 10:22am On Jul 04, 2013
Azzinn,make dem scrap am asap.Sum pple wil find it helpful,but 4 ma own side d tin no make any sense.4get d 19000,nysc na crap.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by MacLovington(m): 10:22am On Jul 04, 2013
WildChild00: National youth service corps, should not be scrapped, this is one of the only means whereby youths across the nation can get to meet each other, exchange ideals, culture etc today the case might be different due to one or two occurance in some region of the country, perhaps as a result of political instability, Nysc is meant to bring peace and unity among corp members especially during their community development program.

You don't have to crisscross your country to be patriotic or get ideas. All those Farook and thieves in government did NYSC and it didn't make them better people. Most countries don't it.

Instead it should be a community service programme. You can apply to serve anywhere nationwide from kindergarten to NNPC or national assembly. NYSC should only help those who cannot secure their own places to serve BUT should shed its paramilitary toga.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by CrazyMan(m): 10:23am On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: No
Why?

Don't you feel its lost its value, and have become an avenue for its officials to embezzle funds?

A corper receives 19,800 as federal allowee, in most cases that of the state isn't constant.

The camps are terrible...poor toilet, bathroom, hostel, the foods are terrible, most times you wouldn't be offered accommodation for your PPA, meaning you would have to use your money to rent one despite the fact that you're serving your country.

Wouldn't it be wise if the government adds up this expenses and pay it as cash to graduates rather than torturing them under the guise of serving their father land?

4 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by demmy55(m): 10:24am On Jul 04, 2013
Dey shouldn't scrap anything jor. Abi you wan finish school go siddon for ur papa house?

You may say the aim is defeated but NYSC is still a year of experience. You gain working experience and how to live independently; how to manage 19800 per month. You also get to interact with other people, know their culture, way of living etc. Most people always refer to their service year.

One can also use the opportunity to apply for professional courses at subsidized rate and also apply for jobs.

As for me, I don't think it should be scrapped.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Capnd143(m): 10:26am On Jul 04, 2013
with the current trend of terrorism and ethno-religious brohaha i think it shouldnt be scrapped but broaden to include a compulsory Military service, that way some graduates would be obsessed with, if not posessed by spirit of patriotism and have military training for self defense! That way, It would also save as an active Federal Reserve troops that can be called upon at any time during National security emergency and threat of aggression to defend the country. This in my opinion will be like killing 3 birds with 1 stone, because it will eliminate the need for the govt to maintain/fund a large armed forces, eliminate the problem of lack of military reserve, induce spirit of patrioticism into the graduates, prepare them for both economic,financial and military challanges.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Dygeasy(m): 10:29am On Jul 04, 2013
finebadtboy: Yes yes oooooo I say yes oooo Yes 1000 times. It's looooong overdew. angry
I Hope You Haven't Served...

Overdew ko, Overrain ni...
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by lafuria1(m): 10:30am On Jul 04, 2013
It shouldn't be scrapped. Youths complain that nysc is a waste of all time and all that but 6month after service year, they are at home doing nothing. Nysc is the only guarante source of income for some people.
If the problem is security, then people should have two choice of geopolitical area they would like to serve.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ichidodo: 10:31am On Jul 04, 2013
Hell No!!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Itoroetti(m): 10:33am On Jul 04, 2013
The should re-structure it such that craft been learnt at the camp is taken seriously and all the corpers must chose atleast one that suits him or her.after the camp,since its bin alleged that they do spend 500k for each corper,they should dispatch is corper with 400k to atleast start up something.certain not everybody will make use of it,but if 40percent in each batch is able to use that money judiciously,u all will see how our economy will grow such that unemployment will be reduced to the bearest minimum.
That to me is d best option.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by francis4real(m): 10:39am On Jul 04, 2013
My suggestion is NYSC should not be scrab, instead of wasting A year in service y not spend 3 month in camp to aquiared knowledge about skill aquisation then pay off the Corp members enough Money to starts with what they learn.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ITbomb(m): 10:40am On Jul 04, 2013
NO!!!!!!!!
If not for NYSC, some lagosians would think that Akwa Ibom is the size of Lekki beach and that the north the size of Lagos, Adamu would not know that not all easterns are Igbos and that there are more than 50 distinct languages and ethnic groups there.
Chima would still believe that the West is Lagos and some other smaller states around.
That was the essence of NYSC and not job creations or links to banks and multi-nationals, though the opportunities are there.
In my opinion it should be broaden to include compulsory military service as the last chance to instill discipline among Nigerian youths before unleashing them to the society
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by WildChild00(m): 10:41am On Jul 04, 2013
MacLovington: .

You don't have to cross your country to be patriotic or get ideas. All those Farook and thieves in government did NYSC and it didn't make them better people.

Instead it should be a community service programme. You can apply to serve anywhere nationwide from kindergarten to NNPC or national assembly. NYSC should only help those who cannot secure their own places to serve BUT should shed its paramilitary toga.

You're absolutely on point, but be that as it may be, there should be a review and not totally scrapping of the program complectly, you made measured of Hon. Farook passing through the nysc scheme and still, he stole monies, you should not forget that nysc does not necessarily teach you not to steal, " but to be a good citizzen" it is greed that makes him to accept bribe, I agreed nysc scheme should be reviewed by the federal government. Similarly, you equally said, it should be made in such a way that people can easily apply to serve in any sector of the economy, nnpc, national assembly, if students are given the opportunities to choose anywhere to serve, dont you think that all student will be choosing nnpc, mobile, agip, national assemble, and neglect the main aims and objective of the program, which is developmental plans as in teaching etc. The scheme should be reviewed.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by free2ryhme: 10:41am On Jul 04, 2013
lottoe: Personally, I feel NYSC should be scrapped, and the government should stop wasting innocent youth time and energy cos of 19,800 per month.I feel, nysc as lost it original purpose.Most youth after nysc,remain unemployed,so what is the major gain of serving the country?
I think they should rather provide job opportunties for youths, by establishing more industries and also upgrading of various sectors in the country,which will equally help in moving the country forward.
Does any youth still have faith in this nysc scheme? For me NO!

If you served in Lagos or Abuja ... I am 100% sure you would never had open this thread
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 04, 2013
Going through some of the comments here, I feel it's our educational sector that needs a total revamp...
cry
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by opeyemiofG(m): 10:44am On Jul 04, 2013
As long as Nigeria exists, NYSC shall remain. Let's see the better part of the programme and stop concentrating on the negatives. But I agree, its due for reform just like most sector of the Migerian nation. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by haitto99(m): 10:44am On Jul 04, 2013
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes, it shld be scrapped,i had to leave a job dat pays 3 times the yeye 19800 temporally cosof d nysc certificate,cant wait to go back,kogi sucks
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by greedie1(f): 10:49am On Jul 04, 2013
yes!!!!!! and before november
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Eneze1(f): 10:54am On Jul 04, 2013
gree-die:
yes!!!!!! and before november

guess that is when you are going for service, if so you are on a long thing

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Osama10(m): 10:55am On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC IS WASTE OF TIME. angry angry angry
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ogunjimiwalefat(m): 10:55am On Jul 04, 2013
IT SHOLDN'T B SCRAPPED BECAUSE THERE WOULDNT BE ANY FRUITFUL THINGS IN IT EXTINCTION.THE MAJOR THINGS FOR NOW IS FOR D MASSES TO CORPORATES AND FIGHT CORRUPTION,CHEAT AND ABUSE OF POWER DATS JUST WAT THIS COUNTRY NEEDS NOW.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by dazzy4real(m): 10:56am On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC is not helping in anyway...some pipul will only support it cos dey never had d skul life odas had in d state n federal uni so dey tink its time for dem to xperence it. For me NYSC is jz a waste of time most pipul don't even knw wt their duty was buh dey went tru it. If it could be scrapped it shud. I don't blive ma future is in anywere buh God's hand....
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by VirginFinder: 10:57am On Jul 04, 2013
No it shouldn't.

It prepares you for the real world thereafter.

NYSC toughened me,I must confess.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC Issue With Date Of Birth / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.