Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,538 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (15287 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Franky9584(m): 9:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
I THINK GOVERNMENT SHOULD INSTEAD PAY EVERY GRADUATES #19800 * 12 WHICH WILL BE MORE BENEFICIAL 2 THEM(4 THOSE THAT WANT 2 ESTABLISH THEMSELVES) OTHER THAN WASTING A WHOLE 1YEAR ALL IN D NAME OF SERVICE..
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Saleem2: 10:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
In fact, i really appreciate each person's comment but am deeply agree to those who against the topic. NYSC would not be scrapped. In addition, it is our common experience that having one good thing is better than having 100 things whose are not useful for a man. The money given to NYSC per month for a year could be made them to achieved in life. In sum, some NYSC have something that are doing before proceed to studies, e:g photographers, plumbers, fashion designers etc so dey can use this money to raise their businesses and care for their family without depends on government works. Finally, by tranferring each of dem to another state is part of education. That is my aims.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by tblackE61(m): 10:42pm On Jul 04, 2013
It shuld be scraped!!! Cant wait to leave anambra state!!! Total waste of time!!!!#teambatchC
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Anvaller: 10:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Saleem2: In fact, i really appreciate each person's comment but am deeply agree to those who against the topic. NYSC would not be scrapped. In addition, it is our common experience that having one good thing is better than having 100 things whose are not useful for a man. The money given to NYSC per month for a year could be made them to achieved in life. In sum, some NYSC have something that are doing before proceed to studies, e:g photographers, plumbers, fashion designers etc so dey can use this money to raise their businesses and care for their family without depends on government works. Finally, by tranferring each of dem to another state is part of education. That is my aims.

Are u trying to be funny with ur grammar or this is for real?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Zither(m): 12:34am On Jul 05, 2013
What a wreck NYSC has become. Its original purpose of existence has been thwarted and defeated. Of what use is NYSC to our numberless dead comrades? Of what use is NYSC to the thousands of bereaved mothers and fathers who tilled the soil with their fingers to provide their children the educational skills they would need to succeed in life? It is just a scheme that has outlived its usefulness.

Those who are opposed to its being scrapped on the grounds that it is a way of earning money before facing the cold world of financial struggle may be right but the truth is they lack innovations and ideas that could better their lives even before graduating from their respective tertiary institutions. Look around and you will find many 'working' students who do not look forward to it as a result of the 'peanuts' the scheme offers - they have other legal and approved means of earning their income.

The point is when something has ceased to produce the desired result and has lost its usefulness, there is no debating what to do - it should be done away with, scrapped, jettisoned...that it may create room for a better innovation or development to replace it.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 05, 2013
CrazyMan:
I feel like given you a reply just for the fun of it.

Wake up from your slumber will you...

I really don't get what you mean by me waking up from my slumber. undecided I have seen different projects that were completed by NYSC participants in communities up north, far distant from their homes or states of origin. If you say NYSC doesn't help foster national integration in any way then that's your cup of tea.

Busy doing what exactly...wasting away in a remote primary school in an environment that has no electricity, no roads, no portable drinking water...Etc. Busy doing what I ask again?

This is naija we are talking about; bad roads and non-availability of electricity and good sources of water are prevalent almost everywhere in the country and even at tertiary institutions.Youth service will be whatever you make out of it. If you want yours to suck, it will suck. Without youth service, MOST graduates without connections will go back home and will probably be there for years before they land good jobs. So you tell me what is wrong with having university graduates serve their father land for just 1 year instead of they going home. Tell me exactly what is wrong with that.

And how many of the youths so far have been able to re-organize their goals in this terrible state the country is in? The unemployment rate in the country is still as high as ever so what goals are they re-organizing?

I still maintain that youth service is an opportunity for people to gain meaningful life experiences (if they so want).Yes unemployment is a rampant issue but I don't see how the dissolution of the NYSC solves that problem. If you spend one year away from home trying to eke out a living amidst scarce resources and do not learn one or two things from it or at least plan ways of negotiating your path in the future then na u sabi! I have talked to a lot of friends who have told me the about the experiences they gained during NYSC and how useful it has been to them so far. undecided

Your university is fun as well…I’m sure you made lots of male and female friends…as for the connections, less than 5% are likely to benefit from that, so you can’t include it in your argument.

You are probably right on this one, but don't quote percentages without sources please. undecided

You obviously haven't served, and you haven't lost a dear one in service.

Let me ask you some questions.

1. After service apart from your certificate what else does the government you wasted one year serving give you in return?

What is this thingy called? SERVICE- Not some magnificent project through which you will be fed with milk and honey, adorned with a golden crown and then have your bank account loaded with dollars. It is a service for the nation, for the people... some of the kids in the rural schools you mentioned probably have these graduates as one of the best instructors they would ever meet... you don't even see things from the perspective of how the society benefits. All you seem to care about is how much recognition the participants will get. You served the people, that alone should be self-fulfilling. At least that's how I see it.

2. If par-venture you die in service, would you be recognized as a national hero who died serving his nation?

First tell me how many people participate in this scheme and how many participants die during service yearly. undecided The ideal situation in a country where everything works will be a national ceremony to honour the fallen heroes; even though I don't really see how such titles appease the bereaved. undecided So the lack of recognition is enough reason for the program to be scrapped? Something should be done, I agree, but I really don't see how scrapping the NYSC helps at all. No one knows his/her death time so I can also argue that those who died may probably have faced the same destinies even at home or elsewhere, who knows? So Mister, this is a very weak point.

3. If you have an accident during service, and become an amputee, do you think the government would care?
Truth is they don't care about you, so why should you care about serving them?

Like I said earlier...Na the regular people for street u dey serve no be government. The Nigerian society needs corpers especially with the way things are right now. Kids in rural areas benefit from this scheme... useful community service projects are completed in different parts of the country by these corpers... it should not be scrapped.

I like arguments that are backed with statistics. You don't just come out dishing out heavy claims with nothing to back yourself up. How does the number of casualties (which increased only recently because of the recent violence in Northern naija) compare to that of those who successfully complete their projects. Is it really that bad? I haven't served yet but I am so looking forward to it. cool Must serve my fatherland whether things are working or not. NYSC should not be scrapped, daz all cool

#NaijaMustBam

2 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 5:31am On Jul 05, 2013
Zither: What a wreck NYSC has become. Its original purpose of existence has been thwarted and defeated. Of what use is NYSC to our numberless dead comrades? Of what use is NYSC to the thousands of bereaved mothers and fathers who tilled the soil with their fingers to provide their children the educational skills they would need to succeed in life? It is just a scheme that has outlived its usefulness.

Those who are opposed to its being scrapped on the grounds that it is a way of earning money before facing the cold world of financial struggle may be right but the truth is they lack innovations and ideas that could better their lives even before graduating from their respective tertiary institutions. Look around and you will find many 'working' students who do not look forward to it as a result of the 'peanuts' the scheme offers - they have other legal and approved means of earning their income.

The point is when something has ceased to produce the desired result and has lost its usefulness, there is no debating what to do - it should be done away with, scrapped, jettisoned...that it may create room for a better innovation or development to replace it.

The highlighted,my friend, are very heavy claims. Please elaborate more on how the NYSC has lost its usefulness. Also tell me how the original purpose has been thwarted... undecided
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Tikitaka(m): 7:15am On Jul 05, 2013
I personally tink dat d nysc scheme has lost its purpose. However rather than scrap it, I tink it should be reviewed cos much is at stake. Most Nigeria graduates lack d basic skills needed 4 survival. The idea of camping is ok by me bt i tink it shuld b extended 2 maybe six months or even a yr in camp, during dis time corp members shuld b taught basic skills that can aid them in life. After which they shuld b paid a stipulated bt reasonable amount. Companies lukin 4 fresh graduates must b made 2 go 2 such camps 2 test them out.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by REVOLUTNIS: 7:31am On Jul 05, 2013
YES
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Zither(m): 2:31pm On Jul 05, 2013
ekwah:

The highlighted,my friend, are very heavy claims. Please elaborate more on how the NYSC has lost its usefulness. Also tell me how the original purpose has been thwarted... undecided
It needs no special skills of observation to arrive at my conclusion. It was created after the civil war to foster good relations among the various ethnic regions and groups in the country so as to ensure that the war did not repeat itself. That was the sole purpose of the birth of NYSC. However, in the light of events that have taken place which have claimed numerous lives up North one can only conclude that the aim, which is to foster peace and union among the various parts of the country, has been utterly defeated.

Now, NYSC would only be a ridiculous scheme if many parts of the North are marked out of the process as a result of the instability in the regions. On the other hand, deploying corps members into those red-zone regions would only amount to digging mass graves for them. Surely, you cannot opine that the scheme be restricted only to the more stable regions like the East, West, and South or that it should be reviewed and that the status quo in the North be taken into proper consideration to sustain the continuation of the scheme. Either way, the aim of the scheme has been thwarted by natural events that call for its discontinuation.

Some folks are of the opinion that scrapping it would only result in the financial handicap of NYSC staff as well as hampering the opportunity of graduates to make a decent income before setting out to face the world. These are genuine generalizations. However, the proponents refuse to face the fact they are mere secondary benefits associated with the scheme. They cannot replace the original purpose of the scheme. They are mere 'incentives' whose value cannot be compared to the aim of Nation-wide peace, union and general goodwill. In the end, corps members will still have to grapple with a consistent means of survival. The scheme only delays it for a short period. It boils down to 'you' and not NYSC or the government to fashion out a means of earning a consistent income however decent just like the majority who did not attend schools or tertiary institutions like you but they are living fine because they have established a suitable means of income - modest or grand. This is why this benefit or advantage is only secondary.

I have exhausted much of my opinion on this topic. My stand will not take any other position besides this - NYSC has lost its usefulness and should be scrapped so as to allow a better innovation that would not unnecessarily risk the lives of poor fellows to replace it. *Drops pen*

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 05, 2013
Zither: It needs no special skills of observation to arrive at my conclusion. It was created after the civil war to foster good relations among the various ethnic regions and groups in the country so as to ensure that the war did not repeat itself. That was the sole purpose of the birth of NYSC. However, in the light of events that have taken place which have claimed numerous lives up North one can only conclude that the aim, which is to foster peace and union among the various parts of the country, has been utterly defeated.

Now, NYSC would only be a ridiculous scheme if many parts of the North are marked out of the process as a result of the instability in the regions. On the other hand, deploying corps members into those red-zone regions would only amount to digging mass graves for them. Surely, you cannot opine that the scheme be restricted only to the more stable regions like the East, West, and South or that it should be reviewed and that the status quo in the North be taken into proper consideration to sustain the continuation of the scheme. Either way, the aim of the scheme has been thwarted by natural events that call for its discontinuation.

Some folks are of the opinion that scrapping it would only result in the financial handicap of NYSC staff as well as hampering the opportunity of graduates to make a decent income before setting out to face the world. These are genuine generalizations. However, the proponents refuse to face the fact they are mere secondary benefits associated with the scheme. They cannot replace the original purpose of the scheme. They are mere 'incentives' whose value cannot be compared to the aim of Nation-wide peace, union and general goodwill. In the end, corps members will still have to grapple with a consistent means of survival. The scheme only delays it for a short period. It boils down to 'you' and not NYSC or the government to fashion out a means of earning a consistent income however decent just like the majority who did not attend schools or tertiary institutions like you but they are living fine because they have established a suitable means of income - modest or grand. This is why this benefit or advantage is only secondary.

I have exhausted much of my opinion on this topic. My stand will not take any other position besides this - NYSC has lost its usefulness and should be scrapped so as to allow a better innovation that would not unnecessarily risk the lives of poor fellows to replace it. *Drops pen*

You have raised very fine points bro. Something better than the current scheme will be good just as you said. In the mean time make we manage wetin dey. Thanks
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2013
Brilliant... And to add up, most corpers are LAZZZZYYYYY.

I am speaking based on what happened over 2 weeks ago.
ekwah:

I really don't get what you meant by me waking up from my slumber. undecided I have seen different projects that were completed by NYSC participants in communities up north, far distant from their homes or states of origin. If you say NYSC doesn't help foster national integration in any way then that's your cup of tea.

This is naija we are talking about; bad roads and non-availability of electricity and good sources of water are prevalent almost everywhere in the country and even at tertiary institutions.Youth service will be whatever you make out of it. If you want yours to suck, it will suck. Without youth service, MOST graduates without connections will go back home and will probably be there for years before they land good jobs. So you tell me what is wrong with having university graduates serve their father land for just 1 year instead of they going home. Tell me exactly what is wrong with that.

And how many of the youths so far have been able to re-organize their goals in this terrible state the country is in? The unemployment rate in the country is still as high as ever so what goals are they re-organizing?

I still maintain that youth service is an opportunity for people to gain meaningful life experiences (if they so want).Yes unemployment is a rampant issue but I don't see how the dissolution of the NYSC solves that problem. If you spend one year away from home trying to eke out a living amidst scarce resources and do not learn one or two things from it or at least plan ways of negotiating your path in the future then na u sabi! I have talked to a lot of friends who have told me the about the experience they gained during NYSC and how useful it has been to them so far. undecided

You are probably right on this one, but don't quote percentages without sources please. undecided

What is this thingy called? SERVICE- Not some magnificent project through which you will be fed with milk and honey, adorned with a golden crown and then have your bank account loaded with dollars. It is a service for the nation, for the people... some of the kids in the rural schools you mentioned probably have these graduates as one of the best instructors they would ever meet... you don't even see things from the perspective of how the society benefits. All you seem to care about is how much recognition the participants will get. You served the people, that alone should be self-fulfilling. At least that's how I see it.

First tell me how many people participate in this scheme and how many participants die during service yearly. undecided The ideal situation in a country where everything works will be a national ceremony to honour the fallen heroes; even though I don't really see how such titles appease the bereaved. undecided So the lack of recognition is enough reason for the program to be scrapped? Something should be done, I agree, but I really don't see how scrapping the NYSC helps at all. No one knows his/her death time so I can also argue that those who died may probably have faced the same destinies even at home or elsewhere, who knows? So Mister, this is a very weak point.

Like I said earlier...Na the regular people for street u dey serve no be government. The Nigerian society needs corpers especially with the way things are right now. Kids in rural areas benefit from this scheme... useful community service projects are completed in different parts of the country by these corpers... it should not be scrapped.

I like arguments that are backed with statistics. You don't just come out dishing out heavy claims with nothing to back yourself up. How does the number of casualties (which increased only recently because of the recent violence in Northern naija) compare to that of those who successfully complete their projects. Is it really that bad? I haven't served yet but I am so looking forward to it. cool Must serve my fatherland whether things are working or not. NYSC should not be scrapped, daz all cool

#NaijaMustBam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC Issue With Date Of Birth / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.