Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (15284 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by godman01(m): 1:46pm On Jul 04, 2013
Scrap it and give the whole 12 month salaries to use start something worthwhile and if you don't use it well, that will be your problem..
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Greenslim: 1:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
I STRONGLY DISAGREE TO NYSC BEING SCRAPPED BECAUSE GOD IS USING NCCF TO TOUCHING THE LIVES OF MANY PEOPLE MORE ESPECIALLY THE CHILDREN
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Petraman(m): 1:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
GODDAMN IT! Y, on earth will they scrap NYSC. They should not scrap it, going for National Youth Service is d only opportunity some may have travelling across d boarder of their state. This National Youth Service enable u to know ur country better
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by emmakind: 1:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
this nysc of a thing need not be scrapped rather the government should come up with a plan whereby students after their secondary schools education are made 2 compulsorily serve a year in the military before pushing further. this as a matter fact should provide an avenue to recruiting competent and interested individuals in the the army, airforce, navy and the police. those who become interested should be made to go through military or police varsities before they are absorbed into the society.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by infogenius(m): 1:56pm On Jul 04, 2013
passttorr: what i think the govt shld do is to extend d 3 weeks camp to about 2 to 3 months to enable corp members learn diff. skill and entrepreneur after which the 19800 for the whole year (N237600) + other allowances be given to them at the end to start up something.

I totally agree with you.The service is now a trash and bloody time wasting.Besides the full one yr doing nothing by majority of our corpers,imagine the number killed in places of assignment.Really terrible.
Yes I enjoyed mine at Nguru nevertheless,I knew very well,I had wasted one full yr of my life.

Life is too short to waste,especially the life of very productive Nigerians.There is really no need to restructure NYSC as it will still have the same corrupt players with the same corrupt agenda.

It should be scrapped completely and a brand new youth programme should be put in place for greater skill learning and aquisition for all our graduates so as to prepare them for an enviable future.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by zuchyblink(m): 2:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
they shud channel the money they waste on nysc every year to power sector.steady power supply will create employment for our youths

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Jencejyde(m): 2:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
Long overdue, should have been scrapped longets time. Btw, even a university degree is overated these days, we need to look around and see whats happening.. 13 yr olds are seasoned programmers in russia, india and the likes while here, peeps are still struggling to go and waste strike laden years to study computer science...

Naija sha, Govt knows this but the corruption is way too much...my 2 cents is " If you have the guts, then simply go for it and leave their service for them...Service does not change anything..look around an see people that served, how much has changed in their status?

Maybe in the early days of our grandfathers generation, service was definitely worth the punt but nowadays...mennnnnn....long tin ni jare.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
Forget the money. Money isnt everything.

I am not sure that this OP has been on NYSC, the NYSC handbook has all the many objectives of the scheme, some of which are cross-cultural orientation, ideological interchange, self reliance and etc. The Experience I had at Osun State cant be traded.

NYSC is one of the best things to happen to any Nigerian Graduate, it positioned me mentally for this successful future, without which I would have been just another guy on the street.

Money cant buy the NYSC experience!

2 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 04, 2013
Should be modified.
Any state with security concerns will only get people from their state to serve there.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by 360command: 2:11pm On Jul 04, 2013
The main aim NYSC came into the system was to integrate the masses into different tribes,community and living. Its a pity the Govt did not see ahead as to when the people finish with NYSC , what will happen when they are through with the NYSC JOB posting?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by EmmyDe25(m): 2:11pm On Jul 04, 2013
ony073: CAPITAL YES!!! D only tin dt do make me happy na dere 19800 dey do pay.apart from dt,d scheme lack class. Can't wait for october to come and run comot 4 dis calabar to start a new chapter of my life. Painful aspect be say,I neva save one naira from dis dere money :'
In P~square's voice: Eeyahhhhhhh..
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by barapistis(m): 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
una want make them scrape watin some guys dey take surpot them family
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by yame014: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2013
lottoe: Personally, I feel NYSC should be scrapped, and the government should stop wasting innocent youth time and energy cos of 19,800 per month.I feel, nysc as lost it original purpose.Most youth after nysc,remain unemployed,so what is the major gain of serving the country?
I think they should rather provide job opportunties for youths, by establishing more industries and also upgrading of various sectors in the country,which will equally help in moving the country forward.
Does any youth still have faith in this nysc scheme? For me NO!

you're on point! the 19,500 paid to corp members should be diverted into agriculture, training of youths, and massive industrialization...we are blessed in this country yet we r suffering...self employment cannot really solve the economic situation in this country...
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Eneze1(f): 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2013
my service year can't be traded with anything, really enjoyed it, it was a good experience to learn and was retained after the service year

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by honeikate(f): 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
but'day:
Hw wil u even tink of such? Scrap NYSC? Fr why na?.... D happiest moment of a graduate is around da period?...do u knw d kinda fun in d nysc camp?? I guess no..da place is madt fun.u'll jst b happy allthru except ur d unhappy type... And I knw d persn da said dis tin shuld b scraped is actin in accordance to d earlier report by one foolish aboki who said da muslim female corp mem physical exercise shul b separated 4rm dat of male ones,BULLshit!! I said BIG NO,nevr scrap it oooo. Abokis shaa,hidding undr unemployment,ur full of shiiii

So is d fun dat matters to U̶̲̥̅̊,U̶̲̥̅̊ aren't serious..government shld scrapped nysc nd pay graduates d money spent on them in d course of nysc so meaniful tins can bε̲̣ done wt it,how do U̶̲̥̅̊ feel wt ur qualified certificate been jobless after d nysc fun?

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Jarus(m): 3:10pm On Jul 04, 2013
Billyonaire: Forget the money. Money isnt everything.

I am not sure that this OP has been on NYSC, the NYSC handbook has all the many objectives of the scheme, some of which are cross-cultural orientation, ideological interchange, self reliance and etc. The Experience I had at Osun State cant be traded.

NYSC is one of the best things to happen to any Nigerian Graduate, it positioned me mentally for this successful future, without which I would have been just another guy on the street.

Money cant buy the NYSC experience!

Co-signed.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
All these peeps who just jump into the bandwagon chanting scrap it! scrap it! sef. Can you please elaborate on the exact things about the NYSC that would support your stance?? I know that the program isn't perfect but it has done alot more good than harm in my opinion.

1)Whether you like it or not, the NYSC program has helped promote national integration. This is one of the rare schemes in this country through which people from different regions get to intermingle/plan for a common goal in the real world.

2) It keeps youths busy... you wouldn't have to go back straight home after school to begin to hustle for a job and probably spend one or two years at home in the process... u can hustle for good things while u serve in my opinion.

3) I see the one year gap spent doing this program as an opportunity for people to re-organize their goals or plans for the future, while earning something to grease their palms as they do so.

4) NYSC is fun; you meet people, build useful connections (if you no be dull-baby), meet life-partners ( tongue), and so on and so forth.

Yeah people have died because of this scheme. It's sad, but I won't call for the program to be scrapped because of this sole reason.

Like I said earlier, I want to know the real reasons why some people want this fun thingy to be scrapped. Saying the aim of the scheme has failed doesn't mean anything to me jor. undecided

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
finebadtboy: Yes yes oooooo I say yes oooo Yes 1000 times. It's looooong overdew. >(
dem suppose close urschool ni......
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
finebadtboy: Yes yes oooooo I say yes oooo Yes 1000 times. It's looooong overdew. >(
dem suppose close ur school ni......
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Samabu07(m): 3:49pm On Jul 04, 2013
You wan kill Yakubu Gowon and other retired Military personnels? Its practically un-achievable. cool
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by CrazyMan(m): 4:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
ekwah: All these peeps who just jump into the bandwagon chanting scrap it! scrap it! sef. Can you please elaborate on the exact things about the NYSC that would support your stance?? I know that the program isn't perfect but it has done alot more good than harm in my opinion.
I feel like given you a reply just for the fun of it.

ekwah: 1)Whether you like it or not, the NYSC program has helped promote national integration. This is one of the rare schemes in this country through which people from different regions get to intermingle/plan for a common goal in the real world.
Wake up from your slumber will you...

ekwah: 2) It keeps youths busy... you wouldn't have to go back straight home after school to begin to hustle for a job and probably spend one or two years at home in the process... u can hustle for good things while u serve in my opinion.
Busy doing what exactly...wasting away in a remote primary school in an environment that has no electricity, no roads, no portable drinking water...Etc. Busy doing what I ask again?

ekwah: 3) I see the one year gap spent doing this program as an opportunity for people to re-organize their goals or plans for the future, while earning something to grease their palms as they do so.
And how many of the youths so far have been able to re-organize their goals in this terrible state the country is in?

The unemployment rate in the country is still as high as ever so what goals are they re-organizing?

ekwah: 4) NYSC is fun; you meet people, build useful connections (if you no be dull-baby), meet life-partners ( tongue), and so on and so forth.
Your university is fun as well…I’m sure you made lots of male and female friends…as for the connections, less than 5% are likely to benefit from that, so you can’t include it in your argument.

ekwah: Yeah people have died because of this scheme. It's sad, but I won't call for the program to be scrapped because of this sole reason.
You obviously haven't served, and you haven't lost a dear one in service.

ekwah: Like I said earlier, I want to know the real reasons why some people want this fun thingy to be scrapped. Saying the aim of the scheme has failed doesn't mean anything to me jor. undecided
Let me ask you some questions.

1. After service apart from your certificate what else does the government you wasted one year serving give you in return?

2. If par-venture you die in service, would you be recognized as a national hero who died serving his nation?

3. If you have an accident during service, and become an amputee, do you think the government would care?

Truth is they don't care about you, so why should you care about serving them?

3 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by originaldave: 4:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
[quote author=lottoe] Personally, I feel NYSC should be scrapped, and the government should stop wasting innocent youth time and energy cos of 19,800 per month.I feel, nysc as lost it original purpose.Most youth after nysc,remain unemployed,so what is the major gain of serving the country?
I think they should rather provide job opportunties for youths, by establishing more industries and also upgrading of various sectors in the country,which will equally help in moving the country forward.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by akbtunes: 4:59pm On Jul 04, 2013
Wel, I served in a bank (think banker-corper) in a lowcost town (think, daily expenses not exceeding 300-meal n errthing) I enjoyed my service year. PS I schooled and served in the SW of Nigeria.
I got my appointment letter in a top tier bank before the end of my service year.
However, I think NYSC should still be SCRAPPED! It’s no longer valid for the Nigeria of today.

2 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by originaldave: 5:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
well to me NYSC is useless its another means of syphoning money in nigeria!its a waste of tym to nigerian youths.after saving your country nigeria,what next ask your self thT QUESTIOn,go back home to start looking for job after one year of graduation?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by deols(f): 5:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
yes.

I need that one year.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Skmoda360(m): 5:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
im really in support of that................TEAM SCRAP NYSC AFTER GRADUATION. smiley grin
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 04, 2013
i think NYSC still has its importance. From my experience, it was a wonderful year. Corpers should just use that one year and rest from uni wahala, have fun, acquire a skill, study GMAT and prepare for interviews. I was posted to Bauchi for my nysc in 2011. I was sad cos i was too sure it was going to be Lagos, but i decided to see what the North luks like, i picked my call up letter, got to Abuja and enjoyed a bit till the 3rd day of camp resumption. I got to the park and was told all the buses going to nysc wailo camp had left. It was difficult to get a cab cos the drivers who were muslims didnt want to go cos they had to pass thru Jos but eventually got a driver going to Kano. It was a wonderful experience cos we chatted till i got to the camp, he told me the history of Jos, d hills, carrot farms etc were beautiful, he taught me how to stop a bus/bike in hausa and negotiate. I was posted to an all girls school and the experience was out of this world, sometimes i cry after lectures and i started a chat period where the gurls had to do the talking and i just listened, i taught them a lot (gud tins o). You can imagine my feelings when my redeployment letter came out after 6 months. I also met my hubby in Bauchi and i also learnt bead making and made gud money selling to fellow corpers in camp, shops/boutiques around and spent most of d wkends readin d GMAT i bought in Camp. I relocated to Lagos, was posted to a bank and got the job after the test etc,was retained before I left to another Company. The story line is that NYSC has its advantages, just make up your mind to make the best use of it
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
yes scrap it
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by dasparrow: 7:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
@Post

NYSC should be optional or scrapped altogether. The hostels in camp were filthy. The bathrooms were so filthy that most corpers were bathing outside. When it came to toilets, corpers did their business in the bush kinda like in boarding school days. One has to be stepping over shyte. So many youths have passed through the scheme and have their certificate but many are still unemployed. Nigerians in the diaspora want to come back and offer their expertise and make a difference in Nigeria but because they didn't serve, they are refused employment. So, NYSC should be optional.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2013
finebadtboy: Yes yes oooooo I say yes oooo Yes 1000 times. It's looooong overdew. angry
Do you mean overdue? No wonder majority of our graduates these days are unemployed. Guy try to improve on your spellings. It is well with you.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by rossete2020(f): 8:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
Seriously!!!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by chuksi79(m): 9:04pm On Jul 04, 2013
AnOlAd: This topic keeps coming up all the time everywhere....#yawns# who wan scrap am Stop jonsing

Enjoy the 19800 and the other fun, networking and all the other good side that comes with it, a lot of people make it in life through this scheme and they build relationships that can take u high...

What the guarantee that if they scrap, youth will get Jobs Immediately....

Look on d better side jare... Forget scrap and less I forget ur opinion won't get to Federal Government cos some people are making billions from the scheme...

One year no go kill anyone...

Once again Enjoy it# winks#

Do you know how many families have lost children and loved ones to this madness, this lost cause known as NYSC?
it's obvious you did not think your comment through

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC Issue With Date Of Birth / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.