Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (15286 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Akpaife(m): 12:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
Must everybody work? Wht abt farming nobody wat 2 farm anylonger everybody wat an easy way get money
Govt will nt provide work 4 everybody
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Anvaller: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2013
Scrap it off!!!

The disadvantage of NYSC grossly outweighs the benefits. If they are not ready to restructure it and do stuffs like

1)Make posting corpers out of their region optional
2)Raise minimum pay for corpers
3)Put better facilities in NYSC camps (not the shamefully ugly camps they call camps)
4)Encourage more investment so there can be actually meaningful placement for these corpers instead of posting majority of them to remote villages to teach.

If they can not fix all of the above as soon as possible, they should scrap it until those are fixed.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by nuelnuel: 12:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
What matters is not knowing one person,what matters is the condition of majority of the corpers.
ennYapeh007: i am not of the opinion that NYSC should be scrapped. you all talk about FG to stop wasting the time of youths for 12 months and paying them N19,800. ask yourselves, before going for NYSC, how many graduates have things doing to even earn them 5k per month or more? a few i believe. NYSC provides you many opportunities for 12 months,
(1) As a Corp member, you are entilted to minimum of 25,000 per month, depending on your PPA, some corp members earn as much as N60K per month, am not talking of those in the medical line yet o(earning over N150K). i know someone who saved over N280k from just her monthly N24K, she was feeding well, living her normal life, after NYSC she invested with this money somwhere in Warri, Delta state and she is doing well now. (2)You have d chance to meet well placed people in the society, depending on the LGA you are serving/ served all cos they know you to be a government property( you can get connection here) (3)People in the community easily patronize any of your initiative cos the believe you have been well trained and a stranger that may be bring something new and intresting. (4)You have the chance to meet diffrent people, embrace diffrent culture, encounter diffrent behaviours,you live an independent life for a whole year, gain some sense of responsibility, and above all be trained in your place of primary assignment, NYSC is a working experience. Not all graduates did IT nor even worked somwhere, so many lack the appropriate manner in a work place. many more points dey jaree
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by bigiykesammy(m): 12:04pm On Jul 04, 2013
what are they waiting for? sharply
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by MaziOmenuko: 12:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
For what? No lemmie catch you eh! How will all those single ladies tropping to the camp fulfill their or.gie.s and fantasies How will those ladies trapped in a bored and lifeless marriage revive their sexualities Which parastatal will absorb all the staff of nysc if you scrap it? who will eat abakiliki rice and most of the local foods produced in our country?

No lemmie catch you! Scrap ko evolve ni!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Tinoxky: 12:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
Abeg o! MAKE I GET MY OWN NATIONAL CAKE [19800], B4 UNA stop am o!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by AlPicapcI(m): 12:19pm On Jul 04, 2013
tellwisdom: What is scrapped??... Na biscuit? sad
calling you stupid is an insult on stupid people...u re
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by PedroJP(m): 12:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
bella berry: I think restructuring it would do. However, the aspect of innocent southerners being sent to the north should be scrapped. That is a suicide posting.

My thought exactly. Ehmmmmm!!! OP, Dat Alawi matters ooo. Blike say u dey ur mama house dey chop otherwise u for know d value of dat 19,800 dem go give u every month. To make 1h no easy
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by passttorr: 12:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
what i think the govt shld do is to extend d 3 weeks camp to about 2 to 3 months to enable corp members learn diff. skill and entrepreneur after which the 19800 for the whole year (N237600) + other allowances be given to them at the end to start up something.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ceejayluv(m): 12:29pm On Jul 04, 2013
MacLovington: .

You don't have to crisscross your country to be patriotic or get ideas. All those Farook and thieves in government did NYSC and it didn't make them better people. Most countries don't it.

Instead it should be a community service programme. You can apply to serve anywhere nationwide from kindergarten to NNPC or national assembly. NYSC should only help those who cannot secure their own places to serve BUT should shed its paramilitary toga.
Shed para military toga?? I'm even suggesting it should be a full blown mandatory military service...
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by IME1: 12:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
let me share this very copyright protected part of a song I wrote about NYSC:

Service and humility,
where there’s no security,
treat us with levity,
disgracing humanity.
Many want it scrapped,
but lets not over react,
when they passed the Act,
it wasn’t meant to be like that.
The intendments have gone wrong,
the motives no longer strong,
we’ve taken it for too long,
let us sing a new song.

and on and on cool

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by RichEstate(m): 12:36pm On Jul 04, 2013
i think the programme is still relevant if each will stop being tribalistic and youth have vision for dear life. for me, it's a year to commit my future to God's hands under NCCF.get initiative and stop chasing shadow called good job! we will make it friends
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by chei: 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
It should be made optional.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by tariwalters(m): 12:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
I GUESSED MOST OF U PEOPLE HERE THAT ARE SUGGESTING IT SHOULD BE SCRAPPED VE HAD EXPERIENCE OF NYSC, WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE ALLOW OTHERS EXPERIENCE THEIRS N QUIT THIS DEBATE/DELIBERATION/SUGGESTION. WELL AT LEAST NOT WHILE AM WAITING FOR BATCH C.

WHEN THERE IS OVERHAULING IN THE ENTIRE PROCESS THINGS WILL GO WELL
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by yogun(f): 12:57pm On Jul 04, 2013
Yes
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2013
it shouldnt be scrapped period
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by 1ndidi2(f): 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
piaget+skinner:
YES aND NO!!!yes, bekos after 11months of compulsory servic.. Thers no assurance that thers a ready job 4 one...and No becos, thos who are wise enough, save during the course of their servic year..and eventually set up businesses atleast not to stay hungry.that period might b their only opportunity#my opinion though!

Wise enough to save ke?? Bros abeg!
How can somebody who isn't getting money from anyother source save on 19,800 plus even d meagre money d state. Manages to give u!

It aint that easy bro! I remember some corpmembers back then took loans from our LGi, what, With feeding,paying bills,transport,,rent,travelling,nysc pay this pay that,CDs this and that!!! Saving is almost impossible.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 04, 2013
To me i say it shud nt be scrap out. Rada the govt shud rearrange it so well dat after it those dat pass out wil get a job. Nysc was useful to me. I have good friends wen i was a corper. I visited places i wud nt knw they exist in nigeria. It helps me to see different cultures outside mine and to articulate it wit mine. If nt for this crisis in the north and kidnaping in some vilages and town nysc experience is worth having. Expecially wen u r posted in a diferent city.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 04, 2013
bella berry: I think restructuring it would do. However, the aspect of innocent southerners being sent to the north should be scrapped. That is a suicide posting.
nothern naija is not the gaza strip. Some places are dangerous. But nothern nigeria, i repeat, is not the gaza strip.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by HoLEEsinner: 1:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
sholay2011: I don't agree that it shud be scrapped. It shud only be 'reviewed'. As much as many youths lost their lives in the course of the programme, others had opportunities opened for them through this means.

I can't imagine finishing school and just going straight to my papa's house wiv nufin to look forward to. Lol.

nice one.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by emmasege: 1:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
It should not be scrapped, but youths should be allowed to serve in any part of the country where they so desire other than their state/region, but where they understand the people's way of life i.e. religion. Cultural differences seem to be less of a problem now in Nigeria, but religion remains a crucial factor. In this way, an indigenous christian from the N/East or West can still serve in the south and learn about other tribes and cultures, but am not sure if a southern muslim will even feel safe in the North if religious crisis heightens in the region.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by finebadtboy(m): 1:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
fresh_dude: Overdue, you mean? I think that 1year should be used learning how to spell. Would you agree?
whatever, o boy I dey vex forget my spelling if you see the suffer wey I pass thru u no for worry about my spelling. Do you know what it means to come face to face with death? Dey dia dey check spelling u never jam. because you work your own angry tomorrow you say Nigeria is very corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Brighten1: 1:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC should be scrapped
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ejanla: 1:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
Personally my service year was one of the best experiences I ever had. Scrapping it is out of the picture but it should be subject to review by d goverment an better security for d corps members by their host communities.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by viktor556(m): 1:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
Dudes these days go to service to screw Hot chicks. D most excitin thing an average guy says about going 2 camp is an envisaged 'sexcapade'.. And I think people should be allowed to fill in states they'd like to serve in.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Osama10(m): 1:41pm On Jul 04, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC Issue With Date Of Birth / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.