Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (685576 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Blessedluvdfavd: 7:42pm On Mar 07, 2018
omopeace4luv:
pls can I get an Ottawa doctor contact from you please ?

Sorry dear I have never been to Ottawa. All the best!
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by shinethelight(m): 8:30pm On Mar 08, 2018
Hotstepper:
hmmm,my dear just have the baby in Naija......ur due date is too near

Thank you for taking the time to reply Hotstepper.
I intend to go ahead with my application regardless, I have a fit to fly and I've found 1 gyno in Mississauga who's willing to give me an appointment. my problem is that the costs at the hospital she uses is outside my budget. it is about 4500 CAD/day for baby and child.

You can help me with advice on which hospitals/locations I could get better pricing. I am ready to scour the area to find a gyno/midwife that will take me unless you have a recommendation.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by shinethelight(m): 9:29pm On Mar 08, 2018
Hotstepper:
The amount of emails I get on a daily basis ehh from this thread is alarming. Plz post ur questions here so everyone will benefit . U can also do ur own research on Google or contact family members, friends or someone who had given birth in Canada.

If u r not considering having a baby in TORONTO for instance, I really can't help anyone with doctor or hospital .

Good luck with visa

hello again, i've just seen this, please help me with toronto costing for doctor & hospital
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 9:32pm On Mar 08, 2018
My concern iz that u have not applied for visa yet.

4500? is the hospital fee or the drs fee?

shinethelight:

I intend to go ahead with my application regardless, I have a fit to fly and I've found 1 gyno in Mississauga who's willing to give me an appointment. my problem is that the costs at the hospital she uses is outside my budget. it is about 4500 CAD/day for baby and child.

You can help me with advice on which hospitals/locations I could get better pricing. I am ready to scour the area to find a gyno/midwife that will take me unless you have a recommendation.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 10:31pm On Mar 08, 2018
What @Hotstepper is saying is basically you being due in May which is 2.5 months away its virtually impossible to apply and receive visa in time to make the trip especially if you are applying from Nigeria. If you are applying from another country that has a shorter processing time then you can be lucky and get it in time. But mind you to apply in any country other than your country of national you would require a resident permit for that country in which you wish to apply.

shinethelight:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by shinethelight(m): 10:40pm On Mar 08, 2018
Hotstepper:

4500? is the hospital fee or the drs fee?

Hotstepper:

4500? is the hospital fee or the Drs' fee?

Hospital fee oh, per day. (about 3,200 for mother, 1,700 for baby , per day)

DOctor's fee is 5000 for CS.

I have filled the application form, just completing my document checklists before i submit, i reckon i'll be submitting tomorrow or at most by monday.
I'm trying to find someone who's not too busy for my wahala to help me pickup my proof of appointment at the Gyno's place tomorrow.

that would be 1 more document less than what i need.

Where i need help is with expenditure when i actually reach canada, as i cant afford to pay 1,700/baby/day (i'm having twins). so i am willing to consider a new city, fingers crossed
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by shinethelight(m): 10:45pm On Mar 08, 2018
hajidel:
What @Hotstepper is saying is basically you being due in May which is 2.5 months away its virtually impossible to apply and receive visa in time to make the trip especially if you are applying from Nigeria. If you are applying from another country that has a shorter processing time then you can be lucky and get it in time. But mind you to apply in any country other than your country of national you would require a resident permit for that country in which you wish to apply.

ok, I understand, I'm not overly religious, but I believe in miracles. and i believe in @hotstepper ..... there's nothing we cannot do if we put our minds to it. and if we do not dot it, hopefully, others will learn something of value

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by shinethelight(m): 11:41pm On Mar 08, 2018
I learned so much from your post. Thank you for giving back.

Can someone please advise if having twins will double babies daily hospital rate.

dazzing:
Dear forum contributors, thank you for sharing all your experiences. I have been a silent follower of this thread since July 2017, and I benefited greatly from the forum. I would like to share my own experience so others can benefit and particularly shed some light on areas that may not have been adequately covered in the forum.

First thing is that I read the entire forum discussion from page one until the fifties. I got my visa some years back, I was given till the end of my passport. I have been to Canada before, therefore when I went for birthing it wasn’t my first time in the country. I had an interesting experience as the hospital I registered and went for ANC is not the same hospital I delivered at, as my labour came unexpected in late night. There was a mild snow storm (December weather so expected) so we couldn’t drive to far to my original hospital, I went to the hospital closest to me which was the famous Brampton civic hospital. My original plan was Stevenson memorial in Alliston.

TIP 1: register in a hospital close to your house as anything can happen.

I rang the doctors whose details was shared on this forum and true to what has been mentioned, both Dr Grace and Dr Abou, said they do not take non-OHIP patients anymore. Dr Kayode still does, but I didn’t use him. I also rang the Amma mid-wives services and their fees is CAD 4600. This excludes the hospital fees if you do decide to have a hospital delivery, also I opted not to use them. Below is break down of my expenses:

Epidura – CAD 500
Doctor fees – CAD 2,350 (this is a combo of the doctor fees who did my check ups and the delivery fees on the day)
Hospital fees – Brampton 2600 (i.e. 200 registration, 400 baby, 2000 my hospital day fee) Stevenson 500 (registration fees for non-resident)
Baby check-up CAD 300 – (i.e. 50 for baby doctor fees after delivery, 200 full baby check-up at mother and child clinic, 50 for walk in centre baby check-up a few days after)
Total for the above medical is 6250

Other expenses include several uber trips. I was with a relative so my costs on that was covered I also had a friend who gave me some free ride when opportune, but we did have a CAD 450 bill for uber hospital visit just as an illustration of that particular expense.
Lifelab – CAD 107, tests for myself
TIP: Please do not do any ‘out of your way’ tests in Nigeria, cause it’s so expensive as rubella alone labs in Abuja were telling me between 35 and 45,000 naira.

Documents
Long and short certificate – CAD 35 & 25 respectively
Intl Canada passport – CAD 107 (hubby did go to Abuja consulate to sign a form)
Nigeria ETC – CAD 137 (includes my express post and return envelope cost). I got good service with them; I rang a few times to tell them it was real urgent as I applied for all my documents two weeks before my departure date. It took them two days to process and post back.

TIP 2: Clarification on applying long and short certificate on line.
I wish someone had told me that on the website I should just go ahead and fill out the form and pay the fees as there is no option for payment for expedited service for a new-born. I almost made an error and wasted money, but thankfully that was averted.
Pretty much what every other person has shared is the standard process for birthing in Brampton. I’ll say additional CAD 1000 for other expenses including documentation. It could be more for others, please note I stayed at a relative (so no cost for rent, feeding and Wi-Fi) and I had my phone line, so cost of that CAD 35 x four months (internet on this package was weak so you may have to get a more expensive option if you need solid internet for when you outside). Canada phone set cost CAD 80.

TIP 3: a phone line makes your ‘ubering’ experience easier.
Sorry this post is getting too long, I just wanted to put in as much as I could. I spent almost four months, and I just returned this early February. Also baby won’t get health card, expect resident in country for over 150 days. Best of Luck to other expectant mothers.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 1:02am On Mar 09, 2018
I think it will double it cuz then 1700 will be per twin as both wont be in the same bed

shinethelight:
I learned so much from your post. Thank you for giving back.

Can someone please advise if having twins will double babies daily hospital rate.

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dserious: 4:25am On Mar 09, 2018
@ Shinethelight.....I believe your faith can work for you o, nothing is impossible.

I applied for my visa Nov.15th and got the message to pick up my passport in January, exactly 55days after I applied. I have read on this very thread that some people have gotten their visas processed in one month; i have also seen one week processing time on this thread. So if you have the faith, I would say go for it...........

On hospital, Dr Ayodele of Brampton Civic is still taking patients at the old price of $3500cad for doctor's and $2600 for hospital. You would have to pay both fees to him immediately you register though. The doctors fees is for both Vaginal and CS. However, if you are having CS, you would need to pay for 2days hospital stay which is 2600x2=5200.

Missusaga is very close to Brampton, less than an hour depending on what part of Missusaga you would be staying; not bad in my opinion.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dserious: 4:39am On Mar 09, 2018
Lest I forget, ensure to carry all your tests and scan results from Nigeria cos the time will be too short to start running tests. Also, if possible, redo a scan as close to your travel date as possible. It would save you time, stress and money cos Dr. Ayodele accepted all my medical reports from Nigeria.

If you can, also do rubella and Strep B tests too cos I was sent to do them here at Lifelab for 65cad; i didn't have them from Nigeria.

Google the doctor Ayodele's office number and call ahead to book an appointment while still in Nigeria. Call them with a canadian number immediately you arrive to confirm you'ld be coming in for the appointment. I had my baby about 2weeks after my first appointment with them without any hassles...just have the complete money in cash to pay at your first appointment.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:42am On Mar 09, 2018
Yes, I pray it works for her but my concern is that she will be having twins .

If she has someone in Miss. then brampton is also a good option.

I advise you submit the application asap

dserious:
@ Shinethelight.....I believe your faith can work for you o, nothing is impossible.

I applied for my visa Nov.15th and got the message to pick up my passport in January, exactly 55days after I applied. I have read on this very thread that some people have gotten their visas processed in one month; i have also seen one week processing time on this thread. So if you have the faith, I would say go for it...........

On hospital, Dr Ayodele of Brampton Civic is still taking patients at the old price of $3500cad for doctor's and $2600 for hospital. You would have to pay both fees to him immediately you register though. The doctors fees is for both Vaginal and CS. However, if you are having CS, you would need to pay for 2days hospital stay which is 2600x2=5200.

Missusaga is very close to Brampton, less than an hour depending on what part of Missusaga you would be staying; not bad in my opinion.

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by ozycy: 5:03am On Mar 09, 2018
shinethelight:

ok, I understand, I'm not overly religious, but I believe in miracles. and i believe in @hotstepper ..... there's nothing we cannot do if we put our minds to it. and if we do not dot it, hopefully, others will learn something of value
I like your faith. Having twins means travelling even earlier. So get the application going and submit as soon as you can. I don't know if there is option for expedited appointment like in US embassy, that would have just worked. All the best
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by ozycy: 5:04am On Mar 09, 2018
dserious:

Ha dserious, you've reached Canada already, counting on you for all the info. I wish you safe delivery.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dserious: 5:23am On Mar 09, 2018
justwise:
@All

Please keep discussion open here to help this thread grow like USA birth thread, the insane request for PM and dropping of contact details is killing this thread.

@Justwise, kudos for the great work moderating these threads. However, i would say this insane request for PMs is partly your fault. I remember back in 2014 when you started banning people from sharing info freely on the US thread. You stated that "agents" were taking advantage and making money off nairaland. This may be true but unfortunately, hoarding of information will only encourage more PMs.

Right now, when nairalanders come here for info and they dont get it, they quietly PM people with experience. The information is shared offline. Even the so-called agents contact experienced people from nairaland to get information. That same info is now sold to helpless nairalanders who desperately needs the info. This thread is not growing, naiaralanders are not getting info easily and the agents are making a lot of money off nairalanders. Your customers are now the victims. There are several of those agents everywhere now, I even saw one of them on instagram, advertising burden of proof - Phema/Nairaland proprietary document angry

So brotherly, the summary of my long epistle is for you to allow people freely share info here on nairaland.....doctor, hospital, accomodation everything should be here. You would be amazed how many agents come on this thread...when we ask questions here and no one answers, they pm us and offer the information to us at a price...

When you started this thing in 2014, the US thread slowed down for a while, it picked up because of the large number of people going to US to give birth....this your initiative will definitely stifle a small population thread like this..

Lemme go and drink water to cool down my anger jor...... cool

3 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by ChiNadaro: 6:29am On Mar 09, 2018
@Hotstepper, good day. My wife is 10 weeks pregnant and I want us to have our baby in Canada precisely Ontario. I chose Ontario because my insurance covers there. When do you advise that we begin the visa process.
Do we need to state that she’s pregnant during the visa application.
Should we go through the online process or paper application. Please reply. Thanks
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by justwise(m): 6:31am On Mar 09, 2018
dserious:

@Justwise, kudos for the great work moderating these threads. However, i would say this insane request for PMs is partly your fault. I remember back in 2014 when you started banning people from sharing info freely on the US thread. You stated that "agents" were taking advantage and making money off nairaland. This may be true but unfortunately, hoarding of information will only encourage more PMs.

Right now, when nairalanders come here for info and they dont get it, they quietly PM people with experience. The information is shared offline. Even the so-called agents contact experienced people from nairaland to get information. That same info is now sold to helpless nairalanders who desperately needs the info. This thread is not growing, naiaralanders are not getting info easily and the agents are making a lot of money off nairalanders. Your customers are now the victims. There are several of those agents everywhere now, I even saw one of them on instagram, advertising burden of proof - Phema/Nairaland proprietary document angry

So brotherly, the summary of my long epistle is for you to allow people freely share info here on nairaland.....doctor, hospital, accomodation everything should be here. You would be amazed how many agents come on this thread...when we ask questions here and no one answers, they pm us and offer the information to us at a price...

When you started this thing in 2014, the US thread slowed down for a while, it picked up because of the large number of people going to US to give birth....this your initiative will definitely stifle a small population thread like this..

Lemme go and drink water to cool down my anger jor...... cool

This is a selfish way of looking at things, you want me to allow people to post any info here but you forgot that advertisers will not bother to place an ad here if they can easily post it here without moderation.

US thread did not slow down as many of you predicted then, some of you left but still people who need info still visit, ask questions and still get answers.

I know for a fact that people can share info without advertising it but the problem is that some nairalanders want to make money from this hence my strong stand on direct/indirect ad here.

They refer people to some hospitals or accommodation providers for a commission or discount then they come here to sing praises of those companies so that people will pm them. I will make sure that such individual will not have a space to advertise here.

Canadian route is not popular and not as straight forward as US this is why the thread is not growing like US one. People will send pm no matter what because some of the questions they ask are dodgy ones which will not be allowed here.

Whoever is too lazy to read materials already here or elsewhere should fee free to send pm and get charged for it.

Since 2014 we have had 5 parts of at least 4 hundred pages of US birthing thread even as many of you predicted that the thread will go down and experienced members will leave because they are not allowed to post everything including ads.

Yes some old members left but the thread still stand and no free ad allowed.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by manlikegb: 3:40pm On Mar 09, 2018
dserious:
Lest I forget, ensure to carry all your tests and scan results from Nigeria cos the time will be too short to start running tests. Also, if possible, redo a scan as close to your travel date as possible. It would save you time, stress and money cos Dr. Ayodele accepted all my medical reports from Nigeria.

If you can, also do rubella and Strep B tests too cos I was sent to do them here at Lifelab for 65cad; i didn't have them from Nigeria.

Google the doctor Ayodele's office number and call ahead to book an appointment while still in Nigeria. Call them with a canadian number immediately you arrive to confirm you'ld be coming in for the appointment. I had my baby about 2weeks after my first appointment with them without any hassles...just have the complete money in cash to pay at your first appointment.

@dserious, pls did you put a call through to Dr Ayodele directly or you got referred to him? If referred, is it by a family doctor/physician or through a walk in clinic?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:37pm On Mar 09, 2018
call him direct

manlikegb:

@dserious, pls did you put a call through to Dr Ayodele directly or you got referred to him? If referred, is it by a family doctor/physician or through a walk in clinic?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by manlikegb: 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2018
Hotstepper:

call him direct

Thanks much @Hotstepper.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Blessedluvdfavd: 7:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
But mind you to apply in any country other than your country of national you would require a resident permit for that country in which you wish to apply.

[/quote]

This is not necessarily true. My mom was on a visitor's visa to US. She applied to come visit me in canny, processing was like 2 weeks and she got it.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Godsgoodness: 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2018
bimshudex:

I am highly interested. Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I've been busy with so many things. Back in Naija now so I have some free time.
The family doctor(s) prefer you just walk in as against posting their numbers here.

Address is at 222 King Street E, Bowmanville. There is also an Obgyn in that building that uses Lakeridge hospital.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Godsgoodness: 1:40pm On Mar 10, 2018
Ashake001:

Dear Godsgoodness,
How are you? Hope you were able to see a doctor? Please am due in August too, can i have a contact or please put me through on how to birth in ottawa.
Thank you.

Sorry I birthed in 'OSHAWA' not OTTAWA'

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Godsgoodness: 1:56pm On Mar 10, 2018
hajidel:

Same amount of time I had before I reapplied for mine and I just got back to Naija. Mission accomplished.

Online application - biometrics requested 3 days later - passport requested for a week later - stamped passport returned 11 days later.

My dear, I'll advice you reapply. There is no harm. If the baby decides to come before you're granted, at least you tried.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 10:29pm On Mar 10, 2018
I understand it can happen; like the lady said miracles can and does happen. With every rule there's an exception. But going by the application processing timeline for Nigeria its a lengthy time. I hope she applies and gets it and travel out in time.

Godsgoodness:

Same amount of time I had before I reapplied for mine and I just got back to Naija. Mission accomplished.

Online application - biometrics requested 3 days later - passport requested for a week later - stamped passport returned 11 days later.

My dear, I'll advice you reapply. There is no harm. If the baby decides to come before you're granted, at least you tried.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 11:21pm On Mar 10, 2018
hajidel:
I understand it can happen; like the lady said miracles can and does happen. With every rule there's an exception. But going by the application processing timeline for Nigeria its a lengthy time. I hope she applies and gets it and travel out in time.

She should give it a try and submit as proposed by Monday tops. It's been taking an average of about two weeks since last month on both paper and online application, the highest I have seen personally took less than three weeks still in the timeframe I talked of above. God bless the hustle of mothers, and crown them with resounding success, amen!

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 12:00am On Mar 11, 2018
Amen God bless us all in the hustle. Yes I think I will agree with you on the turnaround as I applied for my dad not too long ago and entire process took 5 days. Hopefully she can do it fast.

OmoBendel24:

She should give it a try and submit as proposed by Monday tops. It's been taking an average of about two week since last month on both paper and online application, the highest I have seen personally took less than three weeks still in the timeframe I talked of above. God bless the hustle of mothers, and crown them with resounding success, amen!
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by seemorejoy: 6:22pm On Mar 14, 2018
Pls house i need assistance, my wife is 26 weeks gone and i would like her to have our baby in canada, I need assistance with hospital, doctor and the cheapest state/city.

I will appreciate
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Ashake001: 7:31pm On Mar 14, 2018
[
Alright, can you please put me through so i can go birth there too if you dont mind? Thank you

quote author=Godsgoodness post=65719263]

Sorry I birthed in 'OSHAWA' not OTTAWA'[/quote]
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 9:00pm On Mar 14, 2018
read the entire thread

seemorejoy:
Pls house i need assistance, my wife is 26 weeks gone and i would like her to have our baby in canada, I need assistance with hospital, doctor and the cheapest state/city.

I will appreciate
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by seemorejoy: 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2018
Hotstepper:

read the entire thread

I have read the thread but i could not find any hospital or doctor name. Pls if you have any i will appreciate your assistance, my wife got denied yesterday for USA but still reapplying and why we do that if there is any assistance you can give regarding Canada

Do i need Doctor correspondence for Canada?

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (167) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.