Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) (133211 Views)

My Elder Sister Is Feeling Suicidal / Are you feeling angry right now? Let-off steam here! / Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by onegig(m): 8:50am On Aug 20, 2013
joywendy: @onegig. i dont know where to start. firstly am not happy with myself, i feel there is something missing in my life. i feel meaniless like i have no purpose or goal. 2nd of all, i dont feel like anyone loves me or appeciates me 4 who i am, am not sure i have friends
at one point in life we would feel that way. Like we have under achieved or not measured up to standard. Although its good to weigh ones achievement but unhealthy competition is whats bad. Like you comparing yourself to others.we are all created unique.

Also you need to sit down and examine yourself. What do you want to do with your life? What level do you think you should be by now? What brings happiness to you. I have always said it that trying to conform to societal standards is one major disservice people do themselves. Set realistic goals of things you know YOU want to achieve not what others want you to achieve. Also please work on yourself, if you don't love your self, no one will love you. Be positive about life. Please if you are replying you need to give us insights to things like your age range, academic qualifications and what you feel you should have achieved. From there we can tackle your depression more effectively. Just remember dear, a stopped clock is twice correct a day. It might not be panning or working out the way we like it but if we are positive then things would definitely work out.

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by onegig(m): 8:53am On Aug 20, 2013
joywendy: @onegig. i dont know where to start. firstly am not happy with myself, i feel there is something missing in my life. i feel meaniless like i have no purpose or goal. 2nd of all, i dont feel like anyone loves me or appeciates me 4 who i am, am not sure i have friends
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 10:35am On Aug 20, 2013
Ivynwa: @Joywendy I wanted to come back and post later because I am sleepy and tired after the day's work but the tone of your posts was tugging at my heart and I couldn' t go away, close my eyes and sleep peacefully with the thoughts of you being somewhere feeling terrible. I do hope that others will come along and bring on more comforting words for you. You don' t have to feel terrible like that, it is good to have friends but we should love ourself and enjoy the time we find ourselves alone without friends and family around. You shouldn't feel too depressed at such times. You can improve on yourself by reading or doing other educative & creative things okay. I don't know what it is you said you did but whatever it is remember that nobody is perfect. Stop feeling too terrible and please don' t do anything to harm yourself. I will talk to you more later okay. Take care of yourself.
ok...i will tanks.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 11:11am On Aug 20, 2013
i am a 18. currently studying demography in the university.although i choose the course. i feel it not the right thing, like am going on a wrong path. i like the course and my course mates are wonderful set of people. at first i didnt want 2 study that.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by onegig(m): 12:19pm On Aug 20, 2013
joywendy: i am a 18. currently studying demography in the university.although i choose the course. i feel it not the right thing, like am going on a wrong path. i like the course and my course mates are wonderful set of people. at first i didnt want 2 study that.

Ok...What would you have loved to study instead? Ain't demography same with statistics?

and why do you think it is the wrong path? are you struggling with some of the courses or you are scared about the career opportunities?
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 5:56pm On Aug 20, 2013
onegig:

Ok...What would you have loved to study instead? Ain't demography same with statistics?

and why do you think it is the wrong path? are you struggling with some of the courses or you are scared about the career opportunities?
no it is not the same thing. I wanted to study computer science or computer engineering.I was told back in secondary school that i was not qualified for science class so I went to art class but later I still wanted to be in science but my parent refused saying it will stress me. So I decided to stay. What scares me is the career oppurtunity ahead and will I be happy? Secondly am a shy person I have difficulty in making friends and when I finally make them they leave it so painful,really words cant explain
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by onegig(m): 6:10pm On Aug 20, 2013
joywendy: no it is not the same thing. I wanted to study computer science or computer engineering.I was told back in secondary school that i was not qualified for science class so I went to art class but later I still wanted to be in science but my parent refused saying it will stress me. So I decided to stay. What scares me is the career oppurtunity ahead and will I be happy? Secondly am a shy person I have difficulty in making friends and when I finally make them they leave it so painful,really words cant explain

hmm...I see. So what level are you in?

Everyone is sometime anxious about their future.....What would it bring forth?

I understand your pains...but please to move forward we need to forget about the past and it ills. Yes you would have loved to study computer science but due to one or two circumstances you couldn't make it. Career opportunities abound in the world no matter what you study..

As for your choice, do you know computer science is very easy to cross over to? what you just need is to study some professional courses and bam you are an It person. also we have had many people who studied yoruba or so many other courses but are now finance consultants and so on.

The world is interested in what you have to offer and not necessarily what course you studied in school. What you need to do now is concentrate on your present course of study and make the best out of it....When you graduate then you start worrying about career opportunities available.... When we get to that bridge we would cross it.

About being shy and friends leaving....

Making friends is a trial for shy people—geeks especially. They view it as insincere at best, manipulative at worst. They eschew networking for a variety of reasons including lack of confidence, fear of rejection and a sense of unworthiness.

If they could just relate to others more easily, if they just possessed more self-confidence and weren't such self-conscious wallflowers, the world would be their oyster, and schmoozing would be so much easier.

It is possible for shrinking violets and shy guys to master the skill of networking. They just have to realize, says Ferrazzi, that successful networking is all about building intimate, sincere relationships based on mutual generosity, not duplicity, and that they can't achieve their career goals on their own. They have to network their way to success.

If you're struggling to meet new people, here's some common-sense advice for increasing your networking mojo.
Start Small

If the idea of approaching people you don't know intimidates you, begin your networking efforts by seeking out familiar faces, such as relatives and friends.

"You can do a significant amount of valuable networking without ever having to make a cold call," says Lynne Sarikas, the director of Northeastern University's MBA Career Center. "Starting with a known [contact] instead of an unknown demystifies the [networking] process and helps get a shy person over the hurdle." A series of successful conversations will make you more confident in the process, Sarikas adds.

A logical next step after talking with friends and family is to pursue individuals who graduated from your college. Your alumni network can be a gold mine of connections, says Sarikas. It exists for the purpose of networking, so contacting an alum out of the blue shouldn't feel like a cold call. After all, they joined the network to make and take such calls.
Stop Apologizing

Introverts and inexperienced networkers often apologize when asking for an individual's help because they see networking as an imposition, not as an exercise in relationship building, says Sarikas.

"They feel like they're asking someone to do them a favor. They don't think they're worth someone else's time so they're apologizing for it," she says

Apologizing merely demonstrates your lack of professionalism and confidence. It's also annoying and juvenile. You don't have to apologize for asking for help. You don't have to apologize for wanting to learn more about the individual with whom you're networking. One day you may be able to help her out.
Tap into Your Primal Instincts

"Humans are hard-wired as communal, tribal animals, so the shy person isn't shy by nature," says Ferrazzi. "They are shy by design. Something happened to them to make them want to recoil."

Sometimes, when an introvert hears that he's not inherently a loner, that humans are innately social creatures, the realization helps him emerge from his shell of shyness, he says.

About friends leaving...You don't need them because thats why they left you....and since they left you, you don't need to beat yourself over someone else's decision. Move forward and meet new people that would add value to your life.

You can read more at this link

http://www.cio.com/article/164300/How_to_Network_12_Tips_for_Shy_People?page=2&taxonomyId=3127

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 6:25pm On Aug 20, 2013
Joywendy,

Reading your initial posts and advices given, I want to urge to digest the core message of the advices given to you before now and work on them.

Just to add little to what have been said, do not allow the fear of tomorrow ruin the joy and happiness of the present. Today is what is sure that you have, savour the moment, enjoy it and stop being anxious for nothing about tomorrow.

From my shortsighted understanding of demography, I think it deals with social statistics..I.e population, census etc. You should understand that the present day Nigeria and even the world is dynamic, you can work in almost anywhere in as much as you have a good degree you can defend. If you are keen on working with demography, you can work with World Health Organization, National population commission, as a Lecturer in the university, work with NGOs... etc.. work abound my sister. Please stop disturbing your joy and peace with thoughts of tomorrow. God will take care of that. Face your studies now and get the best out of it.

About friends, making friends is not that difficult but you need to ask yourself why you need friends and for what do you need them, what vacuum are u feeling in your life to believe it is friends that will fill the space?

You can only make friends with people that will add value to your life and help bring out your strength and not people with myopic view about life. Never let anybody make you feel inadequate and do not subject yourself to youthful exuberance and peer pressure with no long term importance. Once you can identify people with good values about life and who can make your life better, you can easily walk up to them and appreciate the qualities you see in them. From there, you start to build friendship.

Lastly, never ever compare your life with another. You will only do yourself a disservice if you do that. You are a unique being designed for a unique purpose. Above all, commit your ways to God's hands and develop a relationship with Him.

It is well with you.

I am sorry if what I typed is not coherent, I am in a bus on a journey.

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 6:26pm On Aug 20, 2013
onegig:

I understand your pains...but please to move forward we need to forget about the past and it ills. Yes you would have loved to study computer science but due to one or two circumstances you couldn't make it. Career opportunities abound in the world no matter what you study..

As for your choice, do you know computer science is very easy to cross over to? what you just need is to study some professional courses and bam you are an It person. also we have had many people who studied yoruba or so many other courses but are now finance consultants and so on.

The world is interested in what you have to offer and not necessarily what course you studied in school. What you need to do now is concentrate on your present course of study and make the best out of it....When you graduate then you start worrying about career opportunities available.... When we get to that bridge we would cross it.

yeah am about entering 200 level.thanks. I really need people I can talk I have tried and thought possible times of taking my life.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 6:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
joywendy: yeah am about entering 200 level.thanks. I really need people I can talk I have tried and thought possible times of taking my life.

What about your parents? Do you guys have any kind of close relationship?

If you do, please you can also talk to them. You need them more now.

It is well with you.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 6:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
bellong:

What about your parents? Do you guys have any kind of close relationship?

If you do, please you can also talk to them. You need them more now.

It is well with you.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 6:46pm On Aug 20, 2013
onegig:

About being shy and friends leaving....

About friends leaving...You don't need them because thats why they left you....and since they left you, you don't need to beat yourself over someone else's decision. Move forward and meet new people that would add value to your life.

You can read more at this link

http://www.cio.com/article/164300/How_to_Network_12_Tips_for_Shy_People?page=2&taxonomyId=3127
thanks so much. I feel better
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by onegig(m): 7:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
joywendy: thanks so much. I feel better

Welcome dear....I am happy that you feel better...Please just put this at the back of your mind Suicide would ot make it better, it would just deny you of the opportunity of making it better. Yes your parents might be busy with work and stuff but you owe yourself a responsibility to be happy..

You might also need to talk to your mum....I believe you should be closer to her now. Some parents believe as long as they provide the financial needs of their kids they have fulfilled the yearnings of their kids.. Seriously we need more than that...and many parents don't realise it until something bad happens. You might want to tell her how you feel about things .

Also don't go on seeking friends especially guys now.....they would just complicate your life and would mostly be interested in your body....

I/we are always here anytime...About not having friends to talk to we are all friends in here and you can always poke fun at me.....Am all ears anytime, any day any hour and i guess many others in here would also be....

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2013
stillwater: Ibkaye, how are you? smiley smiley
Hello Stillwater! So sorry I'm just seeing this now, I'm great thanks, how about you? smiley
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
ibkaye:
Hello Stillwater! So sorry I'm just seeing this now, I'm great thanks, how about you? smiley

I'm fine. Keep up the hope!
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
stillwater:

I'm fine. Keep up the hope!
Thanks dear, you too! x
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by maclatunji: 8:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
@Joywendy, life can be beautiful. If you commit suicide, you only cheat yourself out of the sweetness of life.

As for studying Computer Science, don't you know you can study it professionally which is mostly better than doing so academically especially in a place like Nigeria?

Just focus on achieving great results in school. Please, don't seek to be popular for the sake of it. Those you see that are "popular" are often not happy because they have very few true friends.

Ensure that you are a pleasant 18-year old girl that is focused on her future. Very soon, you will make your own genuine friends.

I really hope you are not torturing yourself over boys. At this stage of your life, you don't need it.

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Les: 8:39pm On Aug 20, 2013
am goin tru the same tin..... believe me, the number of times wrong numbers call me is higher than the number my contacts call me, am just a manin ma own words. itstarted wen i left the city i grew up in for another city for no reason and i cant go back...

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by joywendy(f): 4:00pm On Aug 21, 2013
maclatunji: @Joywendy, life can be beautiful. If you commit suicide, you only cheat yourself out of the sweetness of life.

As for studying Computer Science, don't you know you can study it professionally which is mostly better than doing so academically especially in a place like Nigeria?

Just focus on achieving great results in school. Please, don't seek to be popular for the sake of it. Those you see that are "popular" are often not happy because they have very few true friends.

Ensure that you are a pleasant 18-year old girl that is focused on her future. Very soon, you will make your own genuine friends.

I really hope you are not torturing yourself over boys. At this stage of your life, you don't need it.
thanks alot. guys arent my priority for now.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by GodwinAyo: 11:07am On Aug 30, 2013
I have this suicidal thoughts always in me. This as I know is because of insult, bully and the shame when people come to realize that "I DO NOT KNOW MY DAD NOR WHICH PART OF YORUBA HE'S FROM). In this condition, i need someone to advice the best idea to counter this once and for all. PLEASE HELP1

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by iamanonymous: 3:56pm On Aug 30, 2013
Last year, I was diagnosed with MDD and was place on medications. I felt better and have since discontinued the medication. Recently, I fear that I am having another episode. I feel so terrible, the only thing keeping me is the grief I will cause my loved ones. I have talked to a trusted person about how I feel and I was encouraged. I did feel a bit better after the chat, but the thoughts still creep in.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by onegig(m): 10:45pm On Aug 30, 2013
i_am_anonymous: Last year, I was diagnosed with MDD and was place on medications. I felt better and have since discontinued the medication. Recently, I fear that I am having another episode. I feel so terrible, the only thing keeping me is the grief I will cause my loved ones. I have talked to a trusted person about how I feel and I was encouraged. I did feel a bit better after the chat, but the thoughts still creep in.
would respond to both soon .
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by greatgod2012(f): 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2013
I saw this and I thought it's worth sharing on this thread.

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
i_am_anonymous: Last year, I was diagnosed with MDD and was place on medications. I felt better and have since discontinued the medication. Recently, I fear that I am having another episode. I feel so terrible, the only thing keeping me is the grief I will cause my loved ones. I have talked to a trusted person about how I feel and I was encouraged. I did feel a bit better after the chat, but the thoughts still creep in.

How interesting. Yesterday, I read of Ellen Forney (a cartoonist) who has depicted her personal journey living with bipolar disorder (or manic depression). I've plucked a few interesting quotes for you:

"The depressions were certainly more painful for me to experience and for friends and loved ones to witness," Forney says. "But, curiously, looking back, the manic episodes now feel rather more dangerous.

"The euphoric parts were amazing.

Finding the right medication to stabilise her moods was a long and frustrating period.
So, did Forney ever wonder if the medicines were making any real difference to her condition? "Of course," she says. "I think every patient with a mental illness wonders that at some point. But stopping a drug regime that appeared to be working, even if it was only coincidentally, was not a chance that I felt I could afford to take. The possibility of relapsing into manic depressive mood swings was unbearable.

Still, for Forney, facing up to the fact that she needed to remain on medication was not easy.

Perhaps it is time to visit a doctor and discuss long-term medicinal strategies. This need not mean you are on pills all of the time,just when your body needs it. You need to take control and it starts with being honest with yourself. Many people with MDD manage their condition with medication. Having this control creates peace-of-mind; handy for mental disorders I am sure. Bipolar needn't hold you back smiley
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 2:01pm On Sep 02, 2013
Godwin Ayo: I have this suicidal thoughts always in me. This as I know is because of insult, bully and the shame when people come to realize that "I DO NOT KNOW MY DAD NOR WHICH PART OF YORUBA HE'S FROM). In this condition, i need someone to advice the best idea to counter this once and for all. PLEASE HELP1

Have you asked your mum about your dad? Let her give you all the info that she can which may help in locating him.

Meanwhile, do not let the tease of others discourage or lead you to committing suicide. Be grateful to God that you still have a mother who took good care of you.

When they mock you of your father, let them know they are not better than you with no father as they lack knowledge and are shortsighted. A lot of people know their fathers but it make no effect on their lives as the fathers are practically useless.
Focus on your dream and visions for life, work on them and become fulfilled. I am very sure when you become great tomorrow, it is your dad that will come searching for you.

It is well with you
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 2:04pm On Sep 02, 2013

I have no idea what MDD is but I know that when we allow the fear of a thing to overwhelm us, it usually happens. You need to conquer this evil thought in you to allow peace and rest of mind in your heart. Subject the thought and be happy with your present good health. Afflictions shall not arise the second time...

Meanwhile, you can discuss with your doctor to find a balance between using and stopping the medication.
May God heal and make the healing permanent.. It is well with you
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by maclatunji: 6:15pm On Sep 02, 2013
Godwin Ayo: I have this suicidal thoughts always in me. This as I know is because of insult, bully and the shame when people come to realize that "I DO NOT KNOW MY DAD NOR WHICH PART OF YORUBA HE'S FROM). In this condition, i need someone to advice the best idea to counter this once and for all. PLEASE HELP1

I am not going to say fathers are not important but you need to focus on yourself. Let the taunts of those haters motivate you to be great in life. Don't fall in despair, rise with hope. Trust me, by the time you are seen and known as an achiever, those haters will want to be your friends and I believe you will know what to do with them then.

Finding your roots should be much easier then - everybody loves a winner.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by baby124: 4:08pm On Sep 05, 2013

Aww, pele. I cant imagine how you feel because i have never been there. However, you give people the power to treat you how ever they want to. You need to stay away from those people and forge your own path in life. As for your ancestry, you need to find someone in an established organization from that state. Who may be currently living in the state you live in. With your mothers consent of course, move closer to the person and tell them your story. So that maybe when they are going home for holidays or something, you can follow them and during the holidays ask around where you think your father may have come from. Also check on facebook for people with similar names and contact them. Ask them where they are from first without giving any information on what you know. Then ask other questions. With the instability in Nigeria and high death rates, i pray you meet your dad alive and well. It is tricky, but dont set yourself up to be let down if what you find is not what you want.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by baby124: 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2013

What is MDD? You mean MPD? Multiple Personality Disorder? Please take your medication always. This illness is something you may have to live with all your life kind of like diabetes. You have to take your drugs daily for your mind/body to work. So please, dont deceive yourself about getting healed. It is the cross life has dealt you. We all have to carry ours with grace and hope for something better.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by fungramot(f): 6:58am On Sep 08, 2013
Nice thread. Just just came across dis thread u guys aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ wonderful. I attempted suicide bfor. Feb 24 dis year τ̅☺ be precised due τ̅☺ marital or let me say mother inlaw frustration. I took local insecticide and I found myself being refered frm one hospital τ̅☺ d other and lastly open my eyes τ̅☺ found myself at UCH. I thank God a̶̲̥̅♏ alright now it did not claim my life.when there is life there is hope I bliv. Happy sunday everyone
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by maclatunji: 7:08am On Sep 08, 2013
fungramot: Nice thread. Just just came across dis thread u guys aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ wonderful. I attempted suicide bfor. Feb 24 dis year τ̅☺ be precised due τ̅☺ marital or let me say mother inlaw frustration. I took local insecticide and I found myself being refered frm one hospital τ̅☺ d other and lastly open my eyes τ̅☺ found myself at UCH. I thank God a̶̲̥̅♏ alright now it did not claim my life.when there is life there is hope I bliv. Happy sunday everyone

Sorry about your ordeal. However, you need to build a support system around yourself. Find trusted people to advice you on issues that are heavy on your mind.

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 08, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

I Was A Husband: My Experience / I Am Forced To Marry My Own Mother, What Do I Do? / My Wife's Sister Is About To Crash My Marriage, Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.