Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,849 members, 7,813,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) (133210 Views)

My Elder Sister Is Feeling Suicidal / Are you feeling angry right now? Let-off steam here! / Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 16, 2013
Hello, I'm duffie....

I'm lost....I'm not thinking about suicide but I'm just really down.....I've tried so much to get better but I'm sinking everyday.

Everybody feels I'm this "ever happy andd ever-cheerful person" but I'm not, I'm just lost.

I don't sleep anymore.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by cheny4love(f): 6:51am On Sep 16, 2013
Hellow Freinds, so much going on here. what so ever u are going through, pls stay strong. life is beautiful.
This is what i do when so many things are troubleing me. i just empty my mind and relax as if nothing is happening, then look for solution. you could try it too.
Be strong cos u are the best. Gudmorning
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 16, 2013
So shocked at the kind of posts I c here.
If we know we can't relate to a depressed or suicidal person, can we pls not post anything at all?
Some posts will actually make some withdraw into their shell more.

Pls we all, infact all of us here r not professional counselors. Some talk out of xperience, hv seen it happen to one close to them, xperience from work or accumulated xperience in life generally.
Whichever one we belong to, pls let's always read tru our posts b4 we press that button cos what we post can help save or kill a life.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 7:18am On Sep 16, 2013
@Nadia,

Can you please answer Sagamite's questions?
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 7:30am On Sep 16, 2013
emk4lif: Mine is somewhat complicated, I'm in my late teens and an engineering student..always been a high flyer academically in high school and not doing so badly in the university, I hold no religious belief and my views border on atheism..I've been struggling with depression for over two years and I've considered suicide at times....life just feels so empty most times to me and I struggle daily to find a meaning to everything,I also feel like I could be doing so much more with my inherent potential, this coupled with the challenges of being a nerdy introvert teenager with few friends and eccentric thoughts leave me with just a bleak outlook of life....I spend a lot of time alone and I believe that no one really understands me..my parents are too religious and emotionally distant for me to share my fears with them....no matter how I try to deal with it, I always relapse back...I just feel lost and I just wonder whether if I just end it all,maybe I'll just find that elusive peace.it might seem cowardly and sound like overkill but the despair I feel daily, the depths of loneliness,fear and self-loathing I go through daily just drives me crazy
actually wanted to open a thread on it before I came across this

You are such a gifted and talented kid. I know because of the way you crafted the words up there. You are putting too much pressure on yourself because of these inherent talents that you have. Understand that you are still in the early phase of your life, hence you have enough time to fulfill and express your potentials to the world. Just be patient and take it step by step. You will surely fulfill your potentials..

As per the bolded, you may consider what I want to say as foolish or not relevant to you but it is just the truth. Your inner man desires a relationship with the metaphysical being which you have been suppressing for a long time. Your search and quest to understand reason for your existence with no answers in view is leading to this feeling of emptiness. I do not know any other diplomatic way to tell you than this, you need to give God a chance in your heart to fill that void of emptiness. Only the creator of a thing can explain its function and purpose for which it was created. In like manner, only God can give you the fulfilled answer to the question you seek. Jesus said, "come unto me all ye that labour and are heavily laden, I will give you rest..." I am not asking you to be religious but to develop a relationship with God so that the void in you can be filled.

It is well with you.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 7:31am On Sep 16, 2013
duffie: Hello, I'm duffie....

I'm lost....I'm not thinking about suicide but I'm just really down.....I've tried so much to get better but I'm sinking everyday.

Everybody feels I'm this "ever happy andd ever-cheerful person" but I'm not, I'm just lost.

I don't sleep anymore.

Can you please give a little detail of why you think you are lost?
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 16, 2013
bellong:

Career, school, life,etc...

I don't know what I want from life or have any plans for my life..
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 16, 2013
bellong:

I chose the wrong career, I've written my final exams and I just know my life is all wrong....

My family is in chaos, it hass always been like this right from my childhood but right now it's tearing me apart...most people tell me to blocck it out but I just can't....

I've shut everyone out of my life and I'm just lonely.....

I've got a health scare and I'm really scared....

Right now, I've got no plans for my future.....

The irony of it all, most people that think they know, believe ikve got no troubles because I'm always cheerful.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 7:43am On Sep 16, 2013
duffie:

Career, school, life,etc...

I don't know what I want from life or have any plans for my life..

Whatever choices and decisions you have made in the past concerning the above, be sure that you can still start all over. There is no fixed date, age and period for attainment of fulfillment and success.

Now, do a self evaluation of where you are and where you want to be. The assessment will help you to know where to start the rebuilding process from. You may think you have no plans but you definitely have one in your subconscious. If there are people you desire to tow their career paths or wants to be like them, its an indication that you have a plan, it is just that you are yet to come to the reality of it.

Are you presently in school? if you are, are you studying what you wanted to study or just accepted your course to be doing something? If you are not, what efforts are making to start school and where is that area you desire to contribute to humanity and progress of others?

You can always pick up your life and start over again. It is and can never be too late to start all over again. You should know that it will not happen overnight, it takes time, dedication and conscious effort with God's help. You can do it duffie.....
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 7:44am On Sep 16, 2013
duffie:

I chose the wrong career, I've written my final exams and I just know my life is all wrong....

We are getting closer to it. What career did you choose and what career are you interested in?
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by damiso(f): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2013
Nice thread.I really am not too good with posting and responding with all the posters who need encouragement one on one but il just say this:

Life will always have ups and downs, but know if only we (myself included) just learn to take each day at a time, it would make things so much less complicated.Alot of our worries stem from the past and the future. I apologise for bringing faith into it because I don't want to be preaching at people but unfortunately that's the only thing that I can actually relate to that helps me when am down.

Psalm 46:10 a says'Be still and know that I am God' really ministers to me in times of trouble cos it just encourages to slow down.Slowing down sometimes just makes us see that thing we think is hopeless might not be so afterall.I even think that's the premise of yoga which is just calming down and trying to focus on something else other than that issue which might seem insurmountable.

That said sometimes depression goes further than words and you might actually need to see or speak to a professional. Unfortunately mental health(except of course outright insanity) is something that is seen as not real where we come from and so many people just suffer in silence.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by damiso(f): 7:47am On Sep 16, 2013
Saw this on a bible plan I follow so thought to share here:

Depression can be experienced at many levels and for many different reasons. It’s rarely an easy thing to get out of depression. And, of course, there is a difference between being depressed and living in depression. Something may go differently than you had hoped and you feel depressed. But when your choices and your life begin to look different because of the negative feelings you have inside, then you are facing depression.

Depression is the fruit of something deeper. You shouldn't feel ashamed about your feelings, but you must know that God desires something better for you. He wants to comfort you and restore you to a life of joy. Get quiet before God and let Him be your counselor.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 16, 2013
bellong:

We are getting closer to it. What career did you choose and what career are you interested in?

I'm almost graduating from a health science course, but I want to go back and stuudy business management...

I was offered the course andd I just took it because I wanted to just be in school getting admission in nigeria is quite difficult....

I never thought about my long-term goals...

Right now, I've got to go back and re-write my waec and jamb and people think I'm crazy..
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 16, 2013
chaircover:

sweetheart, noting is too late so long as you have breathe in your lungs. My pastor who is in his fifties just finished his law degree. He was an engineer by profession. He and his daughter were on the same law degree. She is back from law school. but us the congregation refuse to let him leave us to go to law school. I dont think he has any intention of working as a lawyer, its just something that he has always wanted to do and he did it.

If you come to obodo oyinbo, you will see that many people are in different professions from what they had their degree in. Its no big deal at all. Late is better than never. You can still achieve what you want to achieve.

Sit down and work out where you want to be/want to do and then look at ways in which you can achieve it. Nothing is too late. You can still change the course of your life. Right now I am taking some courses in my spare time. Learning is an ongoing experience. So long as you have the zeal to do it.

One of my aburos did 3 years in a Nigerian uni, before coming to the UK to start UNI all over again from scratch. He came out with a first class and has now nearly finished his masters. Oju ni nkan pe si. I dont know how to translate that into English.

In a nutshell . . . its not over until its over. Your life is yours to mould into what you want it to be and no one will do it for you. It is well.

Thank you.

I'm still depending on my parents and they all kicked against it and told me to just graduate and get married......

There's not much I can really do...
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 8:05am On Sep 16, 2013
duffie:

I'm almost graduating from a health science course, but I want to go back and stuudy business management...

I was offered the course andd I just took it because I wanted to just be in school getting admission in nigeria is quite difficult....

Right now, I've got to go back and re-write my waec and jamb and people think I'm crazy..

You are at the point where the opinions of people should not stop you from fulfilling your dreams. Thank God, you realised this while you are still young. Go for your dream, if it means writing JAMB and WAEC all over again, its worth it in the long run. The fulfillment of achieving it cannot be compared with what people are saying. It is your life and not theirs so live it to the fullest.

Meanwhile, while you are going for the course and career of your dream, you can get a job with your present degree for sustenance and living expenses. You may develop a new dream and passion on the job.

It is well with you
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by bellong: 8:08am On Sep 16, 2013
duffie:

Thank you.

I'm still depending on my parents and they all kicked against it and told me to just graduate and get married......

There's not much I can really do...

Ok, now I understand. Yes, they are right, you should graduate from the course you are doing but you can only marry when you are ready to. Let them not push you into what you are not ready for.

Graduate, get a job with the degree and fund your passion from the job.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 16, 2013
Thank you Bellong and thank you CC....

You made me smile this morning..

I'm off to the hospital...
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Tinkybabe(f): 8:46am On Sep 16, 2013
duffie:

Duffie!I can relate with what you're facing now.Though the path is slightly different but I found myself in similar shoes..What I will say to you;pay no mind to the people talking.At the end of the day ,it's your life and only you would experience the joy and fulfillment or pain and regrets if you keep listening to what people have to say.

Let me share my story with you to explain what I mean

I had started uni in fact almost completed year one when I relocated to the UK..I had to go back to college to do my A-levels when I got to England.Completed college after 2yrs then my mum dropped the bombshell.

I would not be going to uni that year as I had to be in the country three years before the commencement of my tertiary education.I cried my eyes out cause as at this time,my mates-ones I finished secondary school with had already graduated from uni or were in their penultimate year.

I was not a dull student,oh I was very far from dull therefore saw no reason why I had to have such a setback(that's what I saw it as then) in my academic life.

I had plans for me and had gauged my life that at a certain age I would be done with uni. I was so sad and whenever I spoke with friends back home,some were quick to remind me of this..questions like "so where are you now?You should have just stayed back in Nigeria to complete your degree"

Anyway, I braced myself up(thanks to some good people around me too)-started ignoring the talkers, applied to uni and deferred, made good use of my gap year..Chose a course I really like and wanted as I had matured and knew what I wanted.

Right now!got 2 more years to complete my mpharm degree and smile to the haterz or those that thought I made a mistake going down this path.

May I say also that I'm sure I would have been sad if I had finished from what I was doing in Nigeria cause to be honest I never really liked it.

So my dear,it's really down to you!your decision to make and do not allow anyone,not even your parents to stand in the way of what would give you fulfillment.

All the best.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by RoyalRoy(m): 8:50am On Sep 16, 2013
All ye that are heavily yoked, may God meet you at your point of need!

Thanks Onegig, Damiso, Bellong, Chaircover, Tinkybabe & YellowPawPaw for posting here.

May your gardens continuously be watered!! Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Sagamite(m): 10:44am On Sep 16, 2013
emk4lif: Mine is somewhat complicated, I'm in my late teens and an engineering student..always been a high flyer academically in high school and not doing so badly in the university, I hold no religious belief and my views border on atheism..I've been struggling with depression for over two years and I've considered suicide at times....life just feels so empty most times to me and I struggle daily to find a meaning to everything,I also feel like I could be doing so much more with my inherent potential, this coupled with the challenges of being a nerdy introvert teenager with few friends and eccentric thoughts leave me with just a bleak outlook of life....I spend a lot of time alone and I believe that no one really understands me..my parents are too religious and emotionally distant for me to share my fears with them....no matter how I try to deal with it, I always relapse back...I just feel lost and I just wonder whether if I just end it all,maybe I'll just find that elusive peace.it might seem cowardly and sound like overkill but the despair I feel daily, the depths of loneliness,fear and self-loathing I go through daily just drives me crazy
actually wanted to open a thread on it before I came across this

I am 100% sure I can source out what the issues are based on your write up.

I take it you live in Nigeria, a solution is to continue working hard academically and then move abroad to further your studies. From there, things would "get better" for you.

1 Like

Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by tunapa2009(m): 11:17am On Sep 16, 2013
It is nice joining this thread. Am so happy today that I will be willing to share my experience when I found myself in this deadly situation. How I overcame and the aftermath Joy.
Depression is an inward mind set that kills every positive thought in a person. It is also a feeling of "worthlessness" by a person either from external factors or internal factors. A lot of teens are battling with this "low-self esteem" infection.
Am very happy to join this thread.. Thanks a lot.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
Sagamite:

If I may ask:

What do you regard as "better"?

Describe a set of things you will like to see changed that, if those changes happen, you will regard your life as better.

What are the things that will make you happy?
can we talk offline think its better there..

Lotsa probs I hve
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Sagamite(m): 2:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
nadia_SA: can we talk offline think its better there..

Lotsa probs I hve

Cool. I will be happy to.

I will PM you.
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by jaybee3(m): 2:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
Sagamite:

Cool. I will be happy to.

I will PM you.
Don't go toasting her oh, Mr smooth talker tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 16, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

I Was A Husband: My Experience / I Am Forced To Marry My Own Mother, What Do I Do? / My Wife's Sister Is About To Crash My Marriage, Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.