Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career (33199 Views)

Habits And Ways Of The Rich And Successful / How Successful Nigerian Made It; How You Can / Young And Upcoming Professionals, Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Olucheye(m): 5:08pm On Jul 04, 2013
Over time out of the hunger for success, I've constantly wanted to know how the likes of Jim Ovia former MD of Zenith Bank, outgoing Access bank MD Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, Late Tayo Aderiokun, current MD of GTB Segun Agbaje, Chief Obaze an intending gubernatorial aspirant in Anambra state all built their careers and rose to the top at a very young age.  The hunger and thoughts of being like them 'young and successful" builds up in most Nigerians everyday most especially me.

I've searched maybe not deep enough but i will like to share the things that I've noticed about them.

1. Harvard business school has mostly played a major role in their career.
2. They've mostly had education outside the shores of the country; US and UK.
3. Had training in well renowned  international institutes.

Looking at their different paths, it took a whole lot of financial requirement to make all of this come true and we've got a whole lot of people from average homes who want to achieve what i will term as this 'lofty dream" 

Please I would like to ask from the more enlightened and experienced ones on NL to please help us younger ones as to how we could train ourselves and model our different careers ending up 'young and successful". Specific mentions of school they might have attended or how this could be done would of immense help.

Moderator please help move this to front-page so as to get wide range of advice from more experienced minds.

12 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by leunamme93(m): 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
Following

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 5:24pm On Jul 04, 2013

3 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 5:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.

26 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Olucheye(m): 5:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 5:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
As for those that rose within a short time without establishing their own business, I think there are no two ways about it: you have to be good.

If you are very good (and admittedly lucky), I think you can have your way to the top quickly too.

On this route, the following can be factors:

1, You being very good
2, Attending a good school (networking opportunity)
3, Finishing school early. Imagine starting working at 20. By 28, you have 8 years working experience. That's enough to run a company or a big department
4, Working close to 'Oga at the top'. If you work closely to the Group CEO, you stand a good chance of your competence and work being noticed early, and projected to career rise. That's why it's better to work in Head Office than in oen hinterland branch.
5, Diligence, integrity and hardwork. You can't wish away these qualities. They are very helpful is rapid career rise
6, Luck and opportunity. Some circumstances may just work in your favour. Your boss being posted to a new position or leaving, and pronto, you are given the challenge. Lucky you. I know people that got high position through these events.

Updated: This post inspired me to do a blog post on teh subject: http://jarushub.com/2013/07/04/5-routes-to-rapid-career-rise/

12 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Olucheye(m): 6:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.
As much as we all know of their groundbreaking success stories, my mind has always wandered on what they seem to all have in common In terms of educational background, previous work experience, e.t.c. I know it can't be 100% same but an insight into the life before the success is what my mind seeks.

Opportunity truly maybe have come their way coupled with luck they've had but we all would agree that they must have all had 'Preparatory Stages". What they all did at their preparatory stages is what I'll like better experienced people share with us upcoming youths.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by bokoarerams: 6:14pm On Jul 04, 2013
Ibadan is not a place for any progress minded individual to live in
honeydrop25: Good day,
Female Models are needed for a photo shoot session in ibadan for just a day. Monetary value is not associated but exposure and buiding your portfolio is an advantage. Send your picture to phenomenallooks@yahoo.com.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by aaidel(m): 6:15pm On Jul 04, 2013
truth is not everybody can be successful at a young age most of the people mentioned above benefited from a lot of good fortune and more importantly being born to parents in the right circles

3 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Orikinla(m): 6:15pm On Jul 04, 2013
[size=28pt]The most successful young men and women in Nigeria did not go to Harvard or any Ivy League school and were not bred in America or Europe, but in Nigeria.
Deji Adewunmi, Lekan Olude and Opeyemi Awoyemi, founders of Jobberman and Jumia co-founders Raphael Afaedor and Tunde Kehinde are proudly made in Nigeria.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Odunharry(m): 6:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: As forthose that rose within a short time without establishing their own business, I think there are no two ways about it: you have to be good.

If you are very good (and admittedly lucky), I think you can have your way to the top quickly too.

1, You being very good
3, Finishing school early. Imagine starting working at 20. By 28, you have 8 years working experience. That's enough to run a company or a big department
4, Working close to 'Oga at the top'. If you work closely to the Group CEO, you stand a good chance of your competence and work being noticed early, and projected to career rise. That's why it's better to work in Head Office than in oen hinterland branch.
5, Diligence, integrity and hardwork. You can't wish away these qualities. They are very helpful is rapid career rise
6, Luck and opportunity. Some circumstances may just work in your favour. Your boss being posted to a new position or leaving, and pronto, you are given the challenge. Lucky you. I know people that got high position through these events.
God bless u
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by tobex23(m): 6:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
so how does 'how to be young and successful' come in now?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by free2ryhme: 6:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
Did Obasanjo and Dangote schooled outside nigeria
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
Okay
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by lekkie073(m): 6:19pm On Jul 04, 2013
If u r in a rush to be successful at a young age, why not try money ritual. angry

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Mobsync(m): 6:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
FOLLOWING like fly following excreta...or like 190 following Flytefalls grin grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile...[url=http:https://www.nairaland.com/1347444/10-misconceptions-nigerian-filling-stations#16623225]HERE'RE 10 MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT NIGERIAN FILLING STATIONS[/url]
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Uziehot(m): 6:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
It is well
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Orikinla(m): 6:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
[size=18pt]GTB is a front for some ogas at the top who are ex-military dictators.
Did you ask where those who floated these new generation banks got the capital?[/size]

8 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by kumbalo(m): 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
boko are rams: Ibadan is not a place for any progress minded individual to live in
you mean those who live in Ib are not progress-minded? You dey make me laff o

2 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Stegomiah: 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nice contributions by jarus, infact u've made dis thread more interesting, but as a matter of fact the opportunities people have dis dayz is very minute, competition is more stiffer diz dayz, so hardly will you see anyone not 4rm a well known family making it dis dayz, all dos refernces are in the past, it reminds me of when internet first came 2 Nigeria, few were enlightened then, and some used d opportunity 2 set a beta future 4 themselves e.g linda ikeji, seun... Just imagine any1 trying 2 replicate them now dat person won't garner d same success as dey did except the person is highly innovative.

As regards d post, 2 make it young you need INFORMATION, dats the first key, explore fields that are yet 2 b invested, and target d ones likely 2 become a major hit, also av gr8 ideas and take risks, facebook was someone's idea so was youtube, dats why i like d boy who was d brain bhind tumblr, before it was being sold 2 google, he tot (my own assumption) youtube is a collection of videos and it became a major hit, why not start something similar not videos dis time around but pictures..d rest is history. I have so much 2 say but i'll av 2 stop hia 4 naw.

Btw, i think we need more topics 4rm d career section on homepage, tis bin a yl since a topic 4rm dia made d FP and i doubt if it would av if not dat d OP insisted, NL forum should not be all about celebrities, news et al. We need motivational, inspirational posts 2

10 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
Reserved.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AZeD1(m): 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
These guys found a fertile land (Banking). They all founded the banks when the banking sector was just liberalized.

As for now, you need to be smart and be ready to take risk while also being different.

Great ideas usually sound crazy.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by TheRealMrStan(m): 6:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
[size=14pt]COSCHARIS, IBETO, EKENE DILI CHUKWU, ORANGE DRUGS,ABC TRANSPORT and co...their CEOs did not finish secondary school.[/size]

22 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Cultured(m): 6:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
Well , from my own perspective and experience , the secret of becoming successful at young age/ at any age are as follows :

- Master an art through either formal or informal education and always remain innovative
- Imbibe self and continuous education - Leaders are readers ( although, not all readers are leaders )
- Live on your own opinion , because living on others opinion is the easiest route to failure and death
- Surround yourself with people who're more passionate and informed than you are in your chosen field ( chose your team wisely )
- Work hard , but never forget " Smart Work ", because it pays better
- Expansion is good but remember that it doesn't equal profit- profit is what will keep you going
- Positive mindset is also very important , because misinformation and misconception are very bad diseases

Lest I forget ,have it at the back of your mind that theory is different from practical and that experience remains the best teacher ( our prayer always is, may we never be consumed in the cause of experimenting ) . And "quitters never win " they say , but never forget/undermine " Surrender Tactics" , because at some point in the cause of your journey to success you will need it and when applied rightfully will lead you to the desired promise land . Good luck to all who aspires to become successful in life .

Bye the way , you don't necessarily need to attend any IVY league school neither at home nor abroad to become successful - having the privilege to attend one will only help to gloss that greatness which is already in you , for quick public consumption .

19 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Afam4eva(m): 6:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
TheRealMrStan: [size=14pt]COSCHARIS, IBETO, EKENE DILI CHUKWU, ORANGE DRUGS,ABC TRANSPORT and co...their CEOs did not finish secondary school.[/size]
+1000

I don't know why anyone should say one has to attend Harvard to be successful in Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by bestower: 6:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
[quote
author=Jarus]As for those that rose within a short time without
establishing their own business, I think there are no two ways about it:
you have to be good.

If you are very good (and admittedly lucky), I think you can have your
way to the top quickly too.

1, You being very good
3, Finishing school early. Imagine starting working at 20. By 28, you
have 8 years working experience. That's enough to run a company or a big
department
4, Working close to 'Oga at the top'. If you work closely to the Group
CEO, you stand a good chance of your competence and work being noticed
early, and projected to career rise. That's why it's better to work in
Head Office than in oen hinterland branch.
5, Diligence, integrity and hardwork. You can't wish away these
qualities. They are very helpful is rapid career rise
6, Luck and opportunity. Some circumstances may just work in your
favour. Your boss being posted to a new position or leaving, and pronto,
you are given the challenge. Lucky you. I know people that got high
position through these events. [/quote]seconded
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by lacasa: 6:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
Most of the names i read here had very influential parents and guardians who most likely than not facilitated their access to vibrant sectors and quick rise to the top.

Compare them to enterpreneurs like chris gardener and oprah winfrey who came from modest if not wretched backgrounds to the top of their respective trades.

Bone that thing abeg!!! Na silver spoon tinzz

2 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Temismith(f): 6:36pm On Jul 04, 2013
Fingers crossed! Right behind u
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Oildichotomy(m): 6:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
Brush your teeth regularly
Buy a BB
Buy some new shoes , skinny jeans -make sure they're sagged when worn
Grow some dreads
Pay for some studio time,
Do a Demo ----- register into any of the music reality shows around if possible
That aside ----- be passionate, focus and look for some inspiration or probably connection from the right places: the sky will be a stepping stone

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. / Do 60 Sit-ups In 2 Minutes - SA Special Police Force Requirement (PICS) / Meet Dele Taiwo, Magistrate In Ondo State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.