Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,257 members, 7,953,964 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:54 AM

How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career (33394 Views)

Habits And Ways Of The Rich And Successful / How Successful Nigerian Made It; How You Can / Young And Upcoming Professionals, Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
Are u sure that if its there real ages....
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by icon8: 6:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.

Aig & Herbert actually left GTBank as Executive Directors (EDs) in 2002.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by fpeter(f): 6:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
free2ryhme: Did Obasanjo and Dangote schooled outside nigeria

That is why folks like you need to be properly schooled!.........GBAGAUN undecided

2 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Deiok(m): 6:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
Is it compulsory that everyone should get rich or successful at a very young age?. take Steve job and mark zukerburg, as an example they are both successful but at a different age in life.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AZeD1(m): 6:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
Question for Jarus

A large section of the Nigerian sector is informal; Don't you think as an accountant providing consultancy services (Tax, wealth Management e.t.c) for this people is a potential gold mine?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 04, 2013
Na gov. money them chop.... talk of legitimate money
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by icon8: 6:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
lacasa: Most of the names i read here had very influential parents and guardians who most likely than not facilitated their access to vibrant sectors and quick rise to the top.

Compare them to enterpreneurs like chris gardener and oprah winfrey who came from modest if not wretched backgrounds to the top of their respective trades.

Bone that thing abeg!!! Na silver spoon tinzz

No sire! The parents of most of the guys on that list are ordinary civil servants, a la Tayo, Aig et al...
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by 299: 6:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Know the right people at the right time

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 6:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
icon8:

Aig & Herbert actually left GTBank as Executive Directors (EDs) in 2002.
Thanks. Imagine, ED at 34.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
A-ZeD:
Question for Jarus

A large section of the Nigerian sector is informal; Don't you think as an accountant providing consultancy services (Tax, wealth Management e.t.c) for this people is a potential gold mine?

I agree it is, but can it fetch me 1m per month? cheesy That's the 'risk'.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by icon8: 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus:
Imagine, ED at 34.

I tell you!
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 6:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
icon8:

I tell you!

At 34, my friend had to doctor his age to 26 to get entry level job grin

Maybe he will become ED by 60 cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Jarus(m): 6:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
icon8:

No sire! The parents of most of the guys on that list are ordinary civil servants, a la Tayo, Aig et al...

Thanks jare.

Some people just open their mouths and condemn everything blanket.

Ditto Fola Adeola. Atedo Peterside was also from a poor family.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Pdizzle(m): 6:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Discovering ur talent is also important, the bible said 'your gift shall make a way for you'

2 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AZeD1(m): 6:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus:

I agree it is, but can it fetch me 1m per month? cheesy That's the 'risk'.

After 15 years it should
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by duni04(m): 6:54pm On Jul 04, 2013
Deiok: Is it compulsory that everyone should get rich or successful at a very young age?. take Steve job and mark zukerburg, as an example they are both successful but at a different age in life.
Not quiet true. Jobs was one of Bill Gates greatest competitors in the 80's when apple first came on board. The company and jobs went through hard times in the 90's but rebounded early last decade,when you were born smiley
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Bondd: 6:56pm On Jul 04, 2013
boko are rams: Ibadan is not a place for any progress minded individual to live in
Thia is purely EVIL. LMAOOO
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nosyke(m): 7:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
Very intelligent Topic. I am surely following closely.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by crowne: 7:08pm On Jul 04, 2013
Lol.. Some very funny responses... Dese r ma own steps to acheiving success...
1. Find smtn u love to do that °̩s lucrative smtn dat commands your entire attentn
2. Make a decision to become the absolute best in in no1 above
3. Be honest hv integrity nd redefine ur own meaning of success
4. Gods grace

Presently on No2 in ma own journey nd its real fun when u realize ur learning wat u love to do..

Most nigerians r inluv with showing off withot nytyn in d bank.. Abi y else will u take a bank loan to buy an "ipad"...
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 04, 2013
Am coming
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Deiok(m): 7:09pm On Jul 04, 2013
duni04:
Not quiet true. Jobs was one of Bill Gates greatest competitors in the 80's when apple first came on board. The company and jobs went through hard times in the 90's but rebounded early last decade,when you were born smiley
While then are you not as successful as he is, since you have lived 5 decades. Claiming to know all or you are the oldest is not an achievement.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nosyke(m): 7:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus:

At 34, my friend had to doctor his age to 26 to get entry level job grin

Maybe he will become ED by 60 cheesy

*Dies*
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Olucheye(m): 7:14pm On Jul 04, 2013
The responses so far have just wow'ed me and given me a renenwed inspiration to work harder. Just can't thank the contributors enough. God bless y'all!

MOD thanks for giving the topic the audience it deserved. I'm reading up on the comments.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 04, 2013
Bondd:
Thia is purely EVIL. LMAOOO
I just don't know how you people are just senseless, what has Ibadan got to do with what we are discussing? Is Arisekola not successful? Is Bode Akinjide not successful? There are so many successful people in Ibadan than that the village where you came from, Bastards

3 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Olucheye(m): 7:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
Stegomiah: Nice I have so much 2 say but i'll av 2 stop hia 4 naw.

Thanks for your contribution. Would look forward to reading more from the lots you've got on your mind. I'm sure that it'll also be of help to others who are following the thread.

Cheers

For those who said attending Ivy league schools wasn't major, it was just a trend i noticed in their lifestyles that i listed.

For example check our own Aunty Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Charles Soludo and so on.. This trend keeps recurring if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by delors(m): 7:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
Chei! shocked shocked Olopa ooo! If person dey lobomise grammar like this person no go be successful at a very young age o!
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by redcliff: 7:21pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.

A brilliant writeup like this getting just 1 like? The people of this generation are not made to be successful. Because everything is being given to them on a platter of gold, there's no room for thinking. The only thing people of this generation know is how to have fun, wear the latest brazilian hair, the latest trendy fashion in town and PING!!! From morning till night. The MAN in this generation keeps degenerating and it would soon get to the point where we won't be able to think for ourselves anymore, we'l start seek external help. 1000 likes for oga jarus.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by delors(m): 7:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
Pdizzle: Discovering ur talent is also important, the bible said 'your gift shall make a way for you'
yeah...OP, hope you dey hear o...Okocha, Kanu, Mikel, Akeem Olajuwon, Henry Akinwande all of them no go LSE, Harvard and others oo...infact, na hustle dem take finish from Odigbogborafe Grammar school for Otukpo...but money dey, fame dey, VIP, VVIP, HIV, RSVP...so, watch. use your talent...shoe making is one strong talent!
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by bokoarerams: 7:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
Dat place called ibadan will numb ur brain trust me I lived there for 17yrs
kumbalo:
you mean those who live in Ib are not progress-minded? You dey make me laff o

2 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by pastorprosper(m): 7:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
I think,success depends largely on ones ability to be innovative, finding out an opportunity, taking advantage of it, finding out a need, meeting it,a problem and solve it.discover an innovation, create it, find out what u want to be and be it. That's what all these guys have in common.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know / Chikezie Emmanuel Uzuegbunam Makes 100 Brightest Young Minds In Africa 2017 List / Physically Challenged Man Controls Traffic In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.