Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. (29898 Views)

I Bet, U Dont Know You Are TRYPOPHOBIC!! / Would You Still Be Nigerian If: / You Know You Are An Americanized Nigerian If You Now Say: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Henrypraise: 7:42pm On Jul 12, 2013
Prostitute/whor.e instead of runs babe and ashaw.o

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by akpomeme(m): 7:43pm On Jul 12, 2013
Abu Mikey: You Know You Are An Americanized Nigerian If You
Now Say,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
"Truck" instead of "Lorry"
"SUV" instead of "Jeep"
"Never mind" instead of "Fashi"
"Wassup?" instead of "How far now?"
"Hood" instead of "Bonnet"
"Trunk" instead of "Boot"
"Gas" instead of "fuel"
"Fries" instead of "Chips"
"Fireworks/Firecrackers" instead of "Banga/
Knockout"
"Soda" instead of "Minerals"
"Detergent" instead of "OMO"
"silly" instead of "Mumu/Ode"
"Concrete" instead of "Cement"
"Trash Can" instead of "Dust bin"
"Power is out" instead of "NEPA has taken light"
"Cop" instead of "Police"
"Later" instead of "We go yarn"
"Graduate" instead of "Pass out"
"Security Guard" instead of "Gateman"
"Cookie" instead of "Biscuit"
"Pants" instead of "trousers"
"Underwear" instead of "pant"
"Extensions" instead of "Attachment"
"Cornrows" instead of "weave"
"French braids" instead of "Dee-dee"
"Weave" instead of "weave-on"
"Suitcase" instead of "Box"
"Sneakers" instead of "Canvas"
"Soccer" instead of "Football"
"Motorcycle" instead of "okada"
"Flip-flops" instead of "slippers" (more like "silpas"
"Nail polish" instead of "Cotex"
"Hallway" instead of "Corridor"
"Living/Sitting Room" instead of "Palor'
"Balcony" instead of "Varanda"
"Poke" instead of "Chook"
"Pen" instead of " Biro/Bic"
"Ballpoint pen" instead of "Eleganza"
"VW Bug" instead of "Beettle"
"Negative 5" instead of "minus 5"
"Twenty five hundred" instead of "two thousand five
hundred"
"Boss" instead of "Oga"
"Circle" instead of "roundabout"
"Apartment building" instead of "block of flats"
"Flashlight" instead of "torch"
"Conjuctivitis" instead of "Apollo
"wife-beater" instead of "singlet"
"dreadlocks" instead of "da da"

Some of them don't follow. Nigerians speak proper English not even bullshit American English.
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by leonard509(m): 7:44pm On Jul 12, 2013
wow. .neva knew i was an americana nigeriana til 2day. . . .wanna. .instead of want to. . .gonna instead of goin to. . .medcine instead of drugs. . . . .dis last one implicate my aunty wey enta u.s. . . . .i quote. Airport att''_madam wat do u hav in dis small leather bag. . .my aunt--drugs. . .while it was just panadol nd co dat was inside. . .u nid 2 c d impresn in d cops face

4 Likes

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by dayokanu(m): 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
[size=14pt]"Toothpaste instead of macleans

Seasoning instead of Ajinomotor

Detergent instead of Omo/Surf

Metro bus instead of BRT/Molue

Obese/Overweight instead of orobo

"Model-like figure" instead of "HIV patient"[/size]

6 Likes

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by cosify: 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
It's funny on d side of Naija English but educative on d side of d American English. Both are worlds apart.
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by dayokanu(m): 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
Cheating instead of "Side runs"

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 12, 2013
dayokanu: [size=14pt]

"Model-like figure" instead of "HIV patient"[/size]

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL grin cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 12, 2013
delors: 'To go' instead of 'take away'
'Chequing' instead of 'savings account'
'mean' instead of 'wicked'
chequing acc.na current acc. Come, do you stay in Texas street, Lagos? undecided

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Idowuogbo(f): 7:47pm On Jul 12, 2013
delors:
BMX grin grin
D money wey he go use by BMX, don buy b@nger na! Same noni! grin
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by dayokanu(m): 7:50pm On Jul 12, 2013
"He's Serving/Doing time" instead of "He dey prison"

4 Likes

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
akpomeme:

Some of them don't follow. Nigerians speak proper English not even bullshit American English.

Boi, still trying to find out when "American" became a language. Those mofos speak a bootleg version of the English language. I was expecting words like: airplane, condo, chapstick, check, parking lot, the movies, parentheses etc..

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
Looking through the list again - I say the majority of the non-americanized. tongue
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by 3ace(m): 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2013
Funny thread, I like it. Surprisingly, none of this garri lovers has commented on how it affects the price of garri.

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by delors(m): 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2013
Idi Amin: chequing acc.na current acc. Come, do you stay in Texas street, Lagos? undecided
Lolz...I dont understand ur rhetorical question but seriously, what we call savings account in Nigeria is called chequing in North America...you use debit as we use ATM and withdraw/deposit as u want...Savings his more like Nigerian current account. Weird!
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by delors(m): 7:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
3ace: Funny thread, I like it. Surprisingly, none of this garri lovers has commented on how it affects the price of garri.
Price of garri has increased....Dem no get money buy again so their head never wake up.
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
Open market/goodwill instead of bend down select.

Shopping mall instead of supermarket

99cent instead of shopright
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by tellwisdom: 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2013
Please what will i gain reading this?? sad
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Idowuogbo(f): 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2013
shymexx:

Boi, still trying to find out when "American" became a language. Those mofos speak a bootleg version of the English language. I was expecting words like: airplane, condo, chapstick, check, parking lot, the movies, parentheses etc..
Lmao! Shyeazzzzzy! Easy boi! grin grin
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by 25Calibre(m): 7:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
Americans don't listen, I don't know where they get their English from.

They took the British English, and contorted it into various nonsense.

Anti-venom = Antai-Venom

Even the late Libyan dictator Ghadaffi, they called him Quadaffi

Osama bin laden is pronounced Usama bin laden.

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2013
CFCfan: Buhari instead of abraham lincoln
Kim Kardashian instead of Tonto Dikeh

Amber Rose instead of Vanneni
grin
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by harlos: 7:57pm On Jul 12, 2013
CFCfan:
I don see am.

'SniperInADiaper' instead of 'Sniperinpampers' grin

gringrin
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
delors:
Lolz...I dont understand ur rhetorical question but seriously, what we call savings account in Nigeria is called chequing in North America...you use debit as we use ATM and withdraw/deposit as u want...Savings his more like Nigerian current account. Weird!
bros, I have the two accounts in bank of america. Though I use one debit card for the two, I use chequebook for chequing and savings booklet for my savings account. Cash is moved from chequing acc.to savings every month at a customer's order. undecided
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by 3ace(m): 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
ouch! instead of yaaaeeeehh!

2 Likes

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Lmao! Shyeazzzzzy! Easy boi! grin grin

I was just messing about.

Nigerians don't know better, everything is American to them. Ever spoke to your cousins in naija and they tell you, you sound American or you're in America? grin It's annoying. Most can't even differentiate the words and the accents.

Anyway, most of the words up there are British words.
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by fakulty(m): 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
Sugar daddy instead of aristo
watz up instead of how far
airtime instead of recharge card
top up instead of load
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by harlos: 8:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
Kayus instead of kayode
car instead of moto
weed instead of igbo
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
delors:
What Nigerians call current is what Americans call checking.
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by dayokanu(m): 8:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
EYE-RAQ instead of HE-RAQ(Iraq)

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by bright007(f): 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2013
Brain:what do you think is the criteria for making frontpage?.......... Pinky:Just post any stale/dry topic as far as it obeys seun's 20 commandments.
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by armyofone(m): 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2013
grin
eye ran instead of he ran

dayokanu: EYE-RAQ instead of HE-RAQ(Iraq)
Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by milky3(f): 8:04pm On Jul 12, 2013
adaobi123:

Looool.....its not my fault tongue

"Paiyint" ? LOOL
grin grin grin
no joor, it is 'pata' not paiyint
olodo

1 Like

Re: You Know You Are An "Americanized" Nigerian If You Say Any Of These.. by genxris: 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2013
Pant instead of trouser

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos Of The Python Nigerian Soldiers Killed Today / 10 Most Precious Gemstones / Photos Of The Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.