Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? (1911 Views)

Would You Dump Your Partner To Avoid Valentine Expenses? / Would You Dump Your Boyfriend If He Is Married To Someone Just For Papers? / Would You Dump Your Sweety If They Got Fat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 09, 2013
Ladies please be honest. You are in a little over 3 years relationship and engaged. Both of you are very independent and financial stable, own valuable properties both self earned and inherited.

Along the line your man suggested a prenup , will you breakup for that reason? If you would, why?

Do you think the guy should try reconciling the issue with fiancé and drop off the prenup proposal or let her go.

Guys are welcome.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by clemz85(m): 6:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
op, pls what is prenup?

sir
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2013
If it's something he feels strongly about, then he should try to make her understand his reasons for doing so. At the same time though, he should ponder whether or not signing a prenuptial agreement is more important than making his fiancée his wife.

I, personally, wouldn't leave a guy if he asked me to sign, most especially if we're both financially stable. The same way I took care of myself before we married is the way I'll do so if the unfortunate happens. He'll have his reasons and I'll be able to come to terms with them as long as they're reasonable. Divorces happen, and regardless of how much effort one puts into saving a relationship, some break ups are inevitable.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by adconline(m): 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2013
ogugua88: If it's something he feels strongly about, then he should try to make her understand his reasons for doing so. At the same time though, he should ponder whether or not signing a prenuptial agreement is more important than making his fiancée his wife.

I, personally, wouldn't leave a guy if he asked me to sign, most especially if we're both financially stable. The same way I took care of myself before we married is the way I'll do so if the unfortunate happens. He'll have his reasons and I'll be able to come to terms with them as long as they're reasonable. Divorces happen, and regardless of how much effort one puts into saving a relationship, some break ups are inevitable.
Ogugua, you are light years ahead of your peers!
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by onila(f): 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2013
adconline:
Ogugua, you are light years ahead of your peers!
angry shes just there
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Cholls(m): 6:59pm On Jul 09, 2013
My Opinion Based On This

As far as I respect prenup

Agreement bcoz of this unserious people going into marriage and the divorce rate.

Back to the topic. I strongly believe that true love is unconditional. If u av truly found the one you will care less of those material things.

So my take is that. It's there choice only God can bless this kind of union.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
onila: angry shes just there

Jealous init?

ogugua88: If it's something he feels strongly about, then he should try to make her understand his reasons for doing so. At the same time though, he should ponder whether or not signing a prenuptial agreement is more important than making his fiancée his wife.

Exactly. Breaking up because of prenup shows she was on a mission undecided

clemz85: op, pls what is prenup?

sir

Google sir..
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 09, 2013
If you use your brain more and not your heart, you'll survive in any marriage
I won't even waste a minute if a pre-nup is necessary

easiest money I can give to any lawyer
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
It means he doesn't trust her. I ain't signing no prenup sooo I'll pass
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
Well, i'll listen to his reasons first. It depends on the reasons involved. It could be a 'YES' or 'NO'.
I cannot answer for the op...you have your reasons, she has her reasons!
If she's just being sincere and real here (I honestly like people who are REAL with LOVE...it saves a lot of headache), forget the idea and apologize to her. If you think she's just tryna be smart, well, what can I say
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by freecocoa(f): 9:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hmm.

Why does he want a prenup is the question I'll ask and what follows after he answers, is what I don't know for now.

I won't just walk out cos he brought it up, we'll talk about at length then make our decision or my decision(as the case may be).
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 09, 2013
Yes I'll sign a prenup (by the way I'm a lady using my childhood friend's handle on NL to partiicpate on this thread) Sihom isn't gay and I have his permission to use his handle so don't get it twisted.

I'll sign a prenup because my notion of marriage is different from the norm. Personally I would like to get married for 2 reasons and two reasons only - the intimacy and companionship I don't want to have children but I want to have intimacy on a platform that God would approve of so I won't feel guilty and chezzy the way pre-marital intimacy often leaves me feeling.

This marriage would be solely for intimacy and companionship, for example the man can leave in Abuja doing what he knows best to make a living while I do the same say in Lagos or any other city. We hook up whenever one of us feels the urge, enjoy each others time and company before, during and after the sex then we go back to our lives. No living together 24/7 abeg

We can take trips together to different cities/countries on holidays, doing good wherever we go by genuinely meeting needs of the poor and less privileged regardless of race be it in China, Gambia or Switzerland. The mission as a couple being never walk away from a person (or people) in need. This would be like a mega friends with benefits relationship but with the seal and approval of God so yes REALITY101 I'll sign a prenup with these conditions involved.

PLEASE OOH, before all you oversabi, ITK Pharisees and Sadducces of NL start screaming western education, Oprah Winfrey or Kim K brainwashed female, know now that there are 3 major reasons for marriage
1. intimacy and the need to curb fornication/adultrey
2. Companionship and
3. Procreation

Plus I am no fan of Kim K or Oprah's, neither I'm I negatively influenced by western culture (If I was I would have turned a lesbian a long time ago). I am a well grounded african lady who doesn't fancy the same things most folks do and I desire something different from the norm or rather the package which society has handed to us women... the package being get married, have children and become a mother.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 09, 2013
sihom: Yes I'll sign a prenup (by the way I'm a lady using my childhood friend's handle on NL to partiicpate on this thread) Sihom isn't gay and I have his permission to use his handle so don't get it twisted.

I'll sign a prenup because my notion of marriage is different from the norm. Personally I would like to get married for 2 reasons and two reasons only - the sex and companionship I don't want to have children but I want to have sex on a platform that God would approve of so I won't feel guilty and chezzy the way pre-marital sex often leaves me feeling.

This marriage would be solely for sex and companionship, for example the man can leave in Abuja doing what he knows best to make a living while I do the same say in Lagos or any other city. We hook up whenever one of us feels the urge, enjoy each others time and company before, during and after the sex then we go back to our lives. No living together 24/7 abeg

We can take trips together to different cities/countries on holidays, doing good wherever we go by genuinely meeting needs of the poor and less privileged regardless of race be it in China, Gambia or Switzerland. The mission as a couple being never walk away from a person (or people) in need. This would be like a mega friends with benefits relationship but with the seal and approval of God so yes REALITY101 I'll sign a prenup with these conditions involved.

PLEASE OOH, before all you oversabi, ITK Pharisees and Sadducces of NL start screaming western education, Oprah Winfrey or Kim K brainwashed female, know now that there are 3 major reasons for marriage
1. Sex and the need to curb fornication/adultrey
2. Companionship and
3. Procreation

Plus I am no fan of Kim K or Oprah's, neither I'm I negatively influenced by western culture (If I was I would have turned a lesbian a long time ago). I am a well grounded african lady who doesn't fancy the same things most folks do and I desire something different from the norm or rather the package which society has handed to us women... the package being get married, have children and become a mother.

Your view and what you regard as marriage is weird and hilarious. Good luck with that dude ma'am
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2013
freecocoa: Hmm.

Why does he want a prenup is the question I'll ask and what follows after he answers, is what I don't know for now.

I won't just walk out cos he brought it up, we'll talk about at length then make our decision or my decision(as the case may be).

Lets say as a guy you heard or noticed something strange and feel like that's the only way to clear out what's ringing up in your head. Knowing if she agrees to it you gonna let the prenup ish go.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 09, 2013
REALITY I always get that you are weird line from people when I share my views on the sort of marriage I would like. But seriously come to think of it what exactly is weird about it?

The moment a woman expresses a view or an opinion contrary to the norm she hears all sorts of things. But truly speaking I don't want children and not every female is maternally inclined or would make a good mother just because she's female oooh.

My most important mission in life isn't finding a mate, getting married and having children it is serving my creator in the best way and manner that would guarantee my seeing His face one day because I believe he is REAL and TRUE.

Don't misunderstand me because I hate to be misunderstood If marriage happens fine and good if it doesn't, its still fine and good. I won't be knocking my head against the wall about my marital status whether it reads single or married.

What's with the cancelled dude in your post anyway? You doubting whether Sihom is a man? LOL
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2013
REALITY101:

Lets say as a guy you heard or noticed something strange and feel like that's the only way to clear out what's ringing up in your head. Knowing if she agrees to it you gonna let the prenup ish go.

so, you're testing her
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by adconline(m): 10:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
mechummy: It means he doesn't trust her. I ain't signing no prenup sooo I'll pass
From trust to divorce, what happened? Love pretends to conquer everything, but divorce kills and destroys any pretence of love and lives. Would you not use a condom if u knew that u would get an Std?
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
alutacontinua:

so, you're testing her

Testing ko test drive ni
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 09, 2013
I'd dump him if it were a case of 'I don't trust you etc' then there'd be no point of the marriage really, it's fine other than that
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Oahray: 11:07pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hehehe... Sharp guy. It's her choice what she makes of it and what she chooses to do about it. Some would say he doesn't trust her. I think he's being shrewd, for reasons best known to him.

However, if she can break up without a meaningful discussion, she's capable of ruining him with an expensive divorce later.

1 Like

Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by adconline(m): 11:56pm On Jul 09, 2013
onila: angry shes just there
She ain't! Matter of fact, she's smart above most of her peers!
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 2:03am On Jul 10, 2013
I am not marrying a man who wants a prenup. No angry. Other people can do wtf they wanna do with their marriages and wealth undecided
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Mynd44: 6:43am On Jul 10, 2013
There is no way I am without securing my finances first.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by adconline(m): 6:54am On Jul 10, 2013
Flytefalls: I am not marrying a man who wants a prenup. No angry. Other people can do wtf they wanna do with their marriages and wealth undecided
So what are you bringing to the table? What's your greatest asset?

1 Like

Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by i1: 7:09am On Jul 10, 2013
At topic! First of all: pre-nuptial agreements are illegal, null and Void under Nigerian Law! So I will sign it knowing fully well that the court will always set it aside.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Mynd44: 7:27am On Jul 10, 2013
i.:
At topic! First of all: pre-nuptial agreements are illegal, null and Void under Nigerian Law! So I will sign it knowing fully well that the court will always set it aside.
So a legally binding agreement you signed in when you are sober is null and void abi?

Go read some more books biko
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by k2039: 8:10am On Jul 10, 2013
When I'm not intoxicated with love, a prenuptial agreement is a must, what's the essence of the law of contract I studied. My ultimate goal is to be the world richest man and a divorce could just jeopardize that, besides with a prenuptial agreement the woman will work her ass out to ensure that marriage works.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by k2039: 8:18am On Jul 10, 2013
Mynd_44:
So a legally binding agreement you signed in when you are sober is null and void abi?

Go read some more books biko
1) Offer & Acceptance
2) Agreement to Bind
3) Legal Competence

I'll always win in court with that.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 10, 2013
adconline:
From trust to divorce, what happened? Love pretends to conquer everything, but divorce kills and destroys any pretence of love and lives. Would you not use a condom if u knew that u would get an Std?
FIrst of all, why marry someone you don't trust? IMHO Big NO to prenup
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Excellent7(m): 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2013
I think the guy has made his position clear. You have to consider it or check out. From what I have observed a prenup does not indicate the presence or absence of love.Let us keep sentiments aside. With the way western influences have made "marriage" a walk through a lion infested forest for the men, I expect this to become common with guys that do not want to be sorry. I think its a kind of insurance that the guy does not lose everything if he loses his marriage.If you read the news you will see many babes going for the man's jugular (in terms of assets) when shit hits the fan.
The current marriage laws in the west sets up the man to be "robbed" when the marriage and "love" goes down. You need to make contact with guys that were ruined by this to appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2013
adconline:
So what are you bringing to the table? What's your greatest asset?
Really. Why bother marry if you are planning for a dissolution? Marriage is terminal, and prenuptials are best left for super-rich celebrities with trust issues. My opinion.

For those who cannot submit to a projection of marriage to the death bed, get a civil partnership. It was created in the west for legalities, was it not? undecided. Unfortunately, some men currently suffer terribly after a divorce (although ancedotally I feel some do not suffering enough!). I would rather lobby for a fairer justice system and paternal custodial rights than prenuptual arrangements. Money doesn't always matter, you know.
Re: Would You Dump Your Fiancé/Fiancée Because Of A Prenupt? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 10, 2013
Flytefalls:
Really. Why bother marry if you are planning for a dissolution? Marriage is terminal, and prenuptials are best left for super-rich celebrities with trust issues. My opinion.

Very funny

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Else Is The Use Of A Girlfriend / Girls, Please Give Yourselves Little Dignity!!! / 10 Things You Should Never Say To Your Pregnant Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.