Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids (4557 Views)

Man Catches His Mother With Her Lover, Attacked By Mum's Lover (photos) / Photo: See Billionaire Man Buries Mother With Hummer Jeep / Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by EfemenaXY: 1:35am On Jul 21, 2013
How come mine never do any of the stuff I've read on this thread, re: tantrums?
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 2:36am On Jul 21, 2013
Efemena_xy: How come mine never do any of the stuff I've read on this thread, re: tantrums?

Different temperaments. If you already have a toddler that can sit for hours by your side coloring at home, you know you will have a good flight. But if you have one that can't stay longer than 5 seconds without moving around, lol, you are in for it!
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by damiso(f): 6:12am On Jul 21, 2013
chaircover: I am a mother but I still love my peace and quiet and I will automatically find a seat in church, restaurant, train etc as furthest away from a child as possible.

From experience, I know that some kids are just difficult to manage no matter what the mother does to get them to behave, but in many cases, the mothers themselves dont do enough to keep their kids occupied and under control. I was on a flight recently and this kid was loudmouthed and rude throughout the flight & kept disturbing other passengers but the mother carried on watching her movie like the kid didnt belong to her

On my last flight a mother changed her baby right [b]there in the cabin and put the used pamper in the sick bag and when the cabin crew came round to clean up after we had our meal, this woman put her soiled baby nappy on the trolle[/b]y. How disgusting is that!!!!!

motherhood is not a bug, and if we plan adequately then a kid should be able to travel allowing peace for the other passengers, peace for the parents and peace for the kid itself.

Pack food that the kid enjoys and is already used to so that there are no tantrums and nasty surprises with airline food. Bring crayons and paper so the kids can occupy himself by drawing, bring lots of books for the kid, tablets and other electronics will keep the kid occupied . .so will games such as connect 4. you can also bring the kids some crafts that they can be getting on with during the flight, there are also hundreds of puzzles one can get for kids.
Now that is just disgusting.Eew.Some people are just plain dirty and nasty.

I get you CC about you trying to keep them occuppied but as Ile said different temperaments. Age also matters as there is rarely any activity (except sleep maybe) that would keep a 14 month who is just learning to explore the world around them still for 14 hrs.
Now my daughter is obviously much more well behaved, cos as I said tablets, ,coloring etc will occuppy her for a while . Though she is at the why age, mummy why, mummy what's this, mummy angry angry grin Grrr that can also be irritating.
My son already as a 16month old shows signs of being far quieter cos he naturally is a calmer baby.He cried faaaaar less than she did on flights as long as he is fully fed but I still think we will struggle a lil cos he is walking now and wants to explore.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 21, 2013
The joys of motherhood. Kudos to all the moms.

1 Like

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 21, 2013
Lol. I and my mom sw or experienced something very similar.we were going to agege and our car broke down and so we had to park in a safe place and take brt.while we were in the bus we were enduring the screaming,noise and crying of kids.mumsi was like manage,we will soon get to where we are going.to make matters worse we were stuck up in a go slow and the weather was sooo hot.before I knew what was happening we perceived one kind of disgusting odour and I was eating gala that time.i don't know what made me look towards the mother removing diapers and I saw where the stench was comming from.imidiately I threW that gala away and the mother poured everything in the nylon and left it on the floor.honestly I pitied the man that sat beside her.my moms patience was already exhausted and she said what kind of filthy woman are you behaving as if you don't even know other people are sitting around you.she now started apologizing.that moment I wish I could just get down and go back home.I had to tell mummy its ok.she was so upset because everyone was uncomfortable.mumsi was like only God knows how your sitting room is.men oko e try gan.she started apologizing and all but honestly it wasn't a pleasant eXperience
chaircover: I am a mother but I still lohve my peace and quiet and I will automatically find a seat in church, restaurant, train etc as furthest away from a child as possible.

From experience, I know that some kids are just difficult to manage no matter what the mother does to get them to behave, but in many cases, the mothers themselves dont do enough to keep their kids occupied and under control. I was on a flight recently and this kid was loudmouthed and rude throughout the flight & kept disturbing other passengers but the mother carried on watching her movie like the kid didnt belong to her

On my last flight a mother changed her baby right there in the cabin and put the used pamper in the sick bag and when the cabin crew came round to clean up after we had our meal, this woman put her soiled baby nappy on the trolley. How disgusting is that!!!!!

motherhood is not a bug, and if we plan adequately then a kid should be able to travel allowing peace for the other passengers, peace for the parents and peace for the kid itself.

Pack food that the kid enjoys and is already used to so that there are no tantrums and nasty surprises with airline food. Bring crayons and paper so the kids can occupy himself by drawing, bring lots of books for the kid, tablets and other electronics will keep the kid occupied . .so will games such as connect 4. you can also bring the kids some crafts that they can be getting on with during the flight, there are also hundreds of puzzles one can get for kids.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by EfemenaXY: 11:38am On Jul 21, 2013
kulyie: Lol. I and my mom sw or experienced something very similar.we were going to agege and our car broke down and so we had to park in a safe place and take brt.while we were in the bus we were enduring the screaming,noise and crying of kids.mumsi was like manage,we will soon get to where we are going.to make matters worse we were stuck up in a go slow and the weather was sooo hot.before I knew what was happening we perceived one kind of disgusting odour and I was eating gala that time.i don't know what made me look towards the mother removing diapers and I saw where the stench was comming from.imidiately I threW that gala away and the mother poured everything in the nylon and left it on the floor.honestly I pitied the man that sat beside her.my moms patience was already exhausted and she said what kind of filthy woman are you behaving as if you don't even know other people are sitting around you.she now started apologizing.that moment I wish I could just get down and go back home.I had to tell mummy its ok.she was so upset because everyone was uncomfortable.mumsi was like only God knows how your sitting room is.men oko e try gan.she started apologizing and all but honestly it wasn't a pleasant eXperience

I fail to grab your point here Kulyie.

You all were travelling in the bus /car - so you were on the move. The baby soiled his/her nappy and the mother promptly changed it, tied up the contents in a nylon bag and dropped on the floor pending you lot reach your destination.

So what else did you expect her to do? Fling out the bag of shyte through the window whilst you lot were still in motion? Or leave the crying baby in the soiled nappy for goodness knows how long?? The poor woman did what she had to do, so I don't get your beef. It's not like there was a mobile dustbin / trash can that the mother refused to use, is there?

1 Like

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 21, 2013
grin omo I no like that idea o grin when I carry a chilkd,I ask the mom first have you wore pampers in her body.if she says no,I will carefully drop the child with the mom or if the child is smeared with cartarrh in his nose or saliVa and buiscit smears on him,no go area
tpia@:

well, yorubas say if a baby pees or poops on you, it means the baby likes you, so perhaps the kid did all that in your apt because he likes you, abi how you for see am.

the whole thing actually is starting to sound like a soap opera on tv.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 21, 2013
I would rather have her do it discretely and package it back in a nylon bag without anyone seeing that stuff let alone perceieve it and dispose it off when she gets down.I have seen a couple of clean mothers that pack their kids thrash without any one noticing,that's my point
Efemena_xy:

I fail to grab your point here Kulyie.

You all were travelling in the bus /car - so you were on the move. The baby soiled his/her nappy and the mother promptly changed it, tied up the contents in a nylon bag and dropped on the floor pending you lot reach your destination.

So what else did you expect her to do? Fling out the bag of shyte through the window whilst you lot were still in motion? Or leave the crying baby in the soiled nappy for goodness knows how long?? The poor woman did what she had to do, so I don't get your beef. It's not like there was a mobile dustbin / trash can that the mother refused to use, is there?
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by EfemenaXY: 12:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
chaircover: I am a mother but I still love my peace and quiet and I will automatically find a seat in church, restaurant, train etc as furthest away from a child as possible.

On my last flight a mother changed her baby right there in the cabin and put the used pamper in the sick bag and when the cabin crew came round to clean up after we had our meal, this woman put her soiled baby nappy on the trolley. How disgusting is that!!!!!

CC, I get you jare, but you know, sometimes things like this aren't the mothers' fault but the airline's. Although putting a bag of baby shyte on the food trolley was extreme and crass though.

Take Arik Airlines from Lagos to Warri for example, last year. Shortly after boarding the plane, before it took off, I had to change my daughter's nappy. So see me with my changing bag, mat, wipes, nappy, nappy sacks, creams, et al. I asked the attendants to direct me to the mother and baby changing room and the response was: "Ah madam, we nor get that one here o! Na only normal toilet for adults dey here!"

I asked her what I was expected to do, only to be met with a blank expression. So it was either I changed her back in the cabin or use the general, unisex toilet. To cut a long story short, I opted for using the single unisex toilet there. I wasn't easy with a wriggling 11 month old child but we got there in the end. Suffice to say, I took my sweet time and the pilots just had to wait till I finished and emerged from the toilet with her before they could take off! Sweet revenge eh? cheesy cheesy

You for see the passengers expressions when we emerged from the toilet (lol). I bet you, madam Kulyie must have been amongst them that day! grin grin
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by blank(f): 1:49pm On Jul 21, 2013
kulyie: I would rather have her do it discretely and package it back in a nylon bag without anyone seeing that stuff let alone perceieve it and dispose it off when she gets down.I have seen a couple of clean mothers that pack their kids thrash without any one noticing,that's my point

Your alternative does not make sense. How do you change a baby's diaper "discreetly"? Shit smells. Brt's don't have toilets so what did she do wrong?

1 Like

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by SisiKill1: 1:54pm On Jul 21, 2013
We are talking about kids here right....those little itty bitty bundle of restless energy with large a side of unpredictability, yes?

Just asking oh because the way some are carrying on one would think we are talking about robots with a timer you can set to poop and pee and cry and laugh and sleep at a certain and if all else fails...ya just gotta yank the batteries out and all is well with the world.

Adults can barely predict when they wanna "use it"....so why do we expect more from kids? cheesy cheesy

When it comes to children I've learnt choices are always based on the lesser of two or three or however many evils. I'll take getting the evil side eye from people for changing a diaper over a child who is cranky and irritable because he is uncomfortable in a soiled diaper. Of course I'll also show some discretion in how I handle it but honestly I wouldn't fault a harried mom who can't. In my opinion I don't think it's right to thumb our noses down on these moms who make decisions in situations they have very little control over.

On a lighter note, how do people get worked up over issues that aren't permanent? If the momma and her baby were joined to my hip forever and ever and i have to deal with em day in day out naa....I understand the flipping out but just for a little tiny fraction of my lifetime? Abegi, ain't nobody got time fo' that. cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by rhowly(m): 2:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
slimyem: I travelled by road last weekend and something similar happened. This two year old boy screamed and cried for almost all the four hours the journey lasted. I felt like grabbing him from his mum and flinging him out the window.
Then there was this other one that was seated with her mum behind me. She pulled at my hair through most of the journey while I constantly protested. It was a really uncomfortable trip.
I avoid sitting next to nursing mothers on journeys like that. My tolerance level is very low. I love kids only when they are quiet,clean and cheery. cool
it's quite challenging traveling with toddlers beside you but the amazing thing is how some are so well behaved n others rambunctious
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 21, 2013
Efemena_xy:

CC, I get you jare, but you know, sometimes things like this aren't the mothers' fault but the airline's. Although putting a bag of baby shyte on the food trolley was extreme and crass though.

Take Arik Airlines from Lagos to Warri for example, last year. Shortly after boarding the plane, before it took off, I had to change my daughter's nappy. So see me with my changing bag, mat, wipes, nappy, nappy sacks, creams, et al. I asked the attendants to direct me to the mother and baby changing room and the response was: "Ah madam, we nor get that one here o! Na only normal toilet for adults dey here!"

I asked her what I was expected to do, only to be met with a blank expression. So it was either I changed her back in the cabin or use the general, unisex toilet. To cut a long story short, I opted for using the single unisex toilet there. I wasn't easy with a wriggling 11 month old child but we got there in the end. Suffice to say, I took my sweet time and the pilots just had to wait till I finished and emerged from the toilet with her before they could take off! Sweet revenge eh? cheesy cheesy

You for see the passengers expressions when we emerged from the toilet (lol). I bet you, madam Kulyie must have been amongst them that day! grin grin
lol cheesy good,perfect.that is a decent behaviour.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 21, 2013
blank:

Your alternative does not make sense. How do you change a baby's diaper "discreetly"? Shit smells. Brt's don't have toilets so what did she do wrong?
what she did wrong was opening the babys stuff for all to see without giving consideration that you are not in your private car with your family.even if you cant control the smell,no one has to see that.if you were in your house and tou decide to putor change used diapers in your kitchen beside your food that is absolutly your cup of tea but in a public places have regard for other peoples *

meanwhile it doesnt have to make sense to you

summary of my tale is that some women need to have some sense of decency and class instead of behaving crude because you are nursing a child.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
kulyie: what she did wrong was opening the babys stuff for all to see without giving consideration that you are not in your private car with your family.even if you cant control the smell,no one has to see that.if you were in your house and tou decide to putor change used diapers in your kitchen beside your food that is absolutly your cup of tea but in a public places have regard for other peoples *

summary of my tale is that some women need to have some sense of decency and class instead of behaving crude because you are nursing a child.

When u have one, come back and let me see if u will type this.

U are even lucky she packaged it well, I would have even left the diaper close to you using only the Velcro since no bin in the bus.

Sue me. angry

2 Likes

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
damiso:

I get you CC about you trying to keep them occuppied but as Ile said different temperaments. Age also matters as there is rarely any activity (except sleep maybe) that would keep a 14 month who is just learning to explore the world around them still for 14 hrs.

Exactly! Mine was 7 months old on the flight I described so no amount of connect 4's was keeping him under control. But I will extend that age group to even up to 2 or more where it's difficult to force your will upon the child for 8-14 hrs straight abeg. It depends on the child you have. On the same flight where mine was screaming, there were other babies sleeping, cooing and enjoying the scenery.

Lol@ Sisi grin.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 21, 2013
kulyie: what she did wrong was opening the babys stuff for all to see without giving consideration that you are not in your private car with your family.even if you cant control the smell,no one has to see that.if you were in your house and tou decide to putor change used diapers in your kitchen beside your food that is absolutly your cup of tea but in a public places have regard for other peoples *

How do you expect her to do that?. its impossible because the first thing that will draw people to look is the smell. So there is no way she could have changed the nappy discreetly. Taking care of babies is no small feat and no matter how posh you are, there will be some situations where it will be impossible to act posh.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 21, 2013
Someone like kulyi will even throw the tin from window. Even if there is traffic.i know her type....
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by EfemenaXY: 5:05pm On Jul 21, 2013
ileobatojo:

Exactly! Mine was 7 months old on the flight I described so no amount of connect 4's was keeping him under control. But I will extend that age group to even up to 2 or more where it's difficult to force your will upon the child for 8-14 hrs straight abeg. It depends on the child you have. On the same flight where mine was screaming, there were other babies sleeping, cooing and enjoying the scenery.

Lol@ Sisi grin.

Well said.

You know, it really depends on a lot of variables, but suffice to say, I think it's more of a hit or miss thing. I mean, you can have the most placid, even tempered child...but what's to stop your baby from having a bad day and deciding to have a strop?

Children are so unpredictable and merely being in an unfamiliar environment is enough to set them off. Experience does help to an extent where you know your baby's about to pull one on you, so you might have a, b, or c tricks up your sleeve to distract them, BUT there is only so much one can do.

On our way back, while waiting at the Murtala Airport lounge at Lagos, I let my daughter play, play, and play some more with her brothers. Don't know where she got all that energy from. It was tough. She wanted and did virtually everything. Ate, pooed, played, etc. When eventually we boarded the plane, I was seriously praying for her to get some sleep. Luckily for me, she slept in that their bassinet (baby cot) with her toes sticking out! (lol) And boy was I grateful. Was praying for at least 1 hour's rest but she slept most of the way. I was grateful. If she hadn't, I would have seen pepper that night sha, like madame Ile grin grin
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
Lol,wahala tie niyen.you are so entitled your opinion meanwhile I know your type too
Chillisauce: Someone like kulyi will even throw the tin from window. Even if there is traffic.i know her type....
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 21, 2013
Ehen,I hear you
honey86:
How do you expect her to do that?. its impossible because the first thing that will draw people to look is the smell. So there is no way she could have changed the nappy discreetly. Taking care of babies is no small feat and no matter how posh you are, there will be some situations where it will be impossible to act posh.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
Efemena_xy: How come mine never do any of the stuff I've read on this thread, re: tantrums?

I've never experienced temper tantrums with my kids either, regardless of the length of the trip.

And I would certainly be pissed if a mother sitting next to me allowed her toddler to raise Cain on a long haul flight. Even worse if the said toddler threw up all over me. This is nothing to do with being intolerant, more to do with paying for a peaceful flight, and not getting it.

Why should I have to suffer the inconvenience of an angry toddler? It's up to the mother to make sure her tot is well-behaved enough to endure a long-haul flight.

1 Like

Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by damiso(f): 5:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Well said.

You know, it really depends on a lot of variables, but suffice to say, I think it's more of a hit or miss thing. I mean, you can have the most placid, even tempered child...but what's to stop your baby from having a bad day and deciding to have a strop?

Children are so unpredictable and merely being in an unfamiliar environment is enough to set them off. Experience does help to an extent where you know your baby's about to pull one on you, so you might have a, b, or c tricks up your sleeve to distract them, BUT there is only so much one can do.

On our way back, while waiting at the Murtala Airport lounge at Lagos, I let my daughter play, play, and play some more with her brothers. Don't know where she got all that energy from. It was tough. She wanted and did virtually everything. Ate, pooed, played, etc. When eventually we boarded the plane, I was seriously praying for her to get some sleep. Luckily for me, she slept in that their bassinet (baby cot) with her toes sticking out! (lol) And boy was I grateful. Was praying for at least 1 hour's rest but she slept most of the way. I was grateful. If she hadn't, I would have seen pepper that night sha, like madame Ile grin grin

That's all grin.What are you rationalising with an 11 month old? With an over 2, you can try (try o) to use cause and effect e.g. Ok you can have the ipad for 1 hour if you sit still or as I read on one website give them gifts or new stuff through out the journey.But an under 2? They are sooo unpredictable and even adults (I know i dont) dont like travelling not to talk of a toddler who cant even express his discomfort.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
I notice kids trained with pacifier tend to be more tolerate. Once they start their tantrum, just the thing in their mouth. It keeps them busy till they nod off.

As for those that grew without pacifier, na war to calm them down . What ever u going to use to entice them, they soon grow tired of it.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by EfemenaXY: 6:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
^^ Ooops! Guilty as charged cheesy cheesy

But what you say is very true indeed. At least in my case. I weaned her off it at age one. Any longer would have been unbearably difficult if not impossible.

Besides, the fear of her developing buck teeth or a lisp while speaking was enough motivation for me to do it grin grin
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
Chillisauce: I notice kids trained with pacifier tend to be more tolerate. Once they start their tantrum, just the thing in their mouth. It keeps them busy till they nod off.

As for those that grew without pacifier, na war to calm them down . What ever u going to use to entice them, they soon grow tired of it.

Great point that I had also meant to mention. None of my kids took to a pacifier so I didn't have that to fall back on. It does make a HUGE difference.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by damiso(f): 6:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
ileobatojo:

Great point that I had also meant to mention. None of my kids took to a pacifier so I didn't have that to fall back on. It does make a HUGE difference.

Me too none of my kids took to a pacifier.My son sucks his thumb though(very very annoying habbit angry) and I find he is definitely calmer than his sister.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
Mine took a pacifier early until 4 month. She was very calm and tolerate, but i stopped as she wont sleep through out the night because she is searching for her pacifier when she loses it.

Now she sleeps through the night but a very busy day i always have trying to play and calm her down. I still prefer stopping the pcifier early because i dont want to fight when sheis a lot bigger
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 21, 2013
damiso:

Me too none of my kids took to a pacifier.My son sucks his thumb though(very very annoying habbit angry) and I find he is definitely calmer than his sister.

Instead of the thumb, use the pacifier. Incase of nxt time. Suckling calms them down a lot. The pacifier is a miracle to babies
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by tpia5: 8:38pm On Jul 21, 2013
some threads make one wonder if a family section is really needed in nl.

after all, the owners never said either of them is married.
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 21, 2013
Re: Traveling Beside A Mother With Two Kids by tpia5: 1:04am On Jul 22, 2013
True, a lot of people have no manners but what i've discovered is such people actually derive joy from displaying their uncouthness in public.

They do it intentionally most times, to get a rise out of others and since thats the goal, best to not help them achieve it.

Now, having said that, childcare still requires extra effort on the part of the mother, and understanding or patient people around, if and only if, possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Wives, One Bed? / Why Does This Statement Gets Women Angry? / Should You Confront A Dishonest Spouse Or Collect Evidence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.