Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,697 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore (82975 Views)

Fayose's Tweet On Rivers Rerun Election / How I Ended Maitatsine Crisis, By Buhari / Junaid Muhammad Blasts Patience For Role In Rivers Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by jimjones: 4:52am On Aug 07, 2013
ceah: I decided to share this interesting piece by Omoyele Sowore of Sahara Reporter which he posted on his facebook page.He posted the text and explain the meaning of Patrick Obahiagbon Igodomigodo's discussion while appearing on the Saturday Sunrise daily @ Channel TV. Enjoy -

An Attempt at Making Sense of Igodomigodo's Verbal Acrobatics. The Lingual Contortionist was quoted recently, in reference to the Cross River State Crisis:

“Let me say as quickly as possible, the political “crinkum crankum”, if you like, the political “higi haga” that has enveloped the politics of Rivers State for a period of time now has all the trappings of an odoriferous saga cum ‘’gargantua gaga," and I am bewildered that this situation is of no serious concern to the Commander-in-Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria…It is very crystal clear like the biblical ‘teke teke menoyafasin.’ It is audible to the deaf and visible to the blind...If you look at the totality of the crisis in Rivers State just now, it leaves me with two conclusions that 2015 is inherently laden with a political and democratic ‘Thalidomide.’ Two, some social scientists like myself have gone to town for donkey’s years, saying that what we have is not democracy but civilian rule. But with recent events, I say no. Nigeria is neither witnessing civilian rule nor democracy but what we have at best is a form of government I call ‘kakitomoboplutocracy’ and that is bad for us as a nation...As far as I am concerned, I can see the ship of the Nigerian state hovering around the political Bermuda Triangle, and if we do not take urgent and responsible steps… My critical history and historiography of the study shows that the war of attrition in Rivers State did not commence with the Obio/Okpor political tendency. It commenced, strictly speaking, from the suspicion that Governor Rotimi Amaechi nurses an ambition for the Vice- Presidency of this country.’’ ~ Patrick Obahiagbon.

1. Crinkum crankum: Something full of twists and turns; A thing fancifully or excessively intricate and elaborate.

2. Higi haga: (Synonym of above?)

3. Odoriferous: Giving off a strong and offensive odour; Morally offensive.

4. Gargantua gaga: Huge, widespread madness; Celebration of insanity? Was Obahiagbon referring to the 16th Century novels written by the French author, François Rabelais, based on The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel, the story of two giants, a father, Gargantua, and his son Pantagruel, and their adventures, written in an amusing, extravagant, satirical vein?

5. Teke teke: Was he making reference here to the 2009 Japanese horror film, titled "Teketeke" directed by Kôji Shiraishi and based on urban legend? (I confuse!!!)

6. Menoyafasin: !!!#%@?Help needed!!!

7. Thalidomide: An anti-nausea and sedative drug that was introduced in the late 1950's to be used as a sleeping pill, and was quickly discovered to help pregnant women with the effects of morning sickness. It was sold from 1957 until 1962, when it was withdrawn after being found to be a teratogen, which caused many different forms of birth defects, including still- born babies.

8. Kakitomoboplutocracy: A Kakistocracy is defined as a government by the worst. A Mobocracy is a government by mobs or crowds, while a Plutocracy is either - 1. The rule or power of wealth or of the wealthy. 2. A government or state in which the wealthy class rules, or 3. A class or group ruling, or exercising power or influence, by virtue of its wealth. A 'Kakitomoboplutocracy' would therefore imply a merger of all three forms of government, as possible only in the "Igodomigodo" lexicon!

9. Historiography: The writing of history, especially based on the critical examination of sources, the selection of particular details from the authentic materials of those sources, and the synthesis of those details into a narrative that stands the test of critical examination; The term also refers to the theory and history of historical writing.

When we cry, we must also find time to laugh!

the sahara reporters guy tried, innit...but he didn't have to go and start making some sh!t up. so i'll just address his made up sh!t:

4. gargantuan(NOT gargantua!) gaga - he aint referring to any 16th century bullsh!t. gargantuan, amongst other things, simply means "of immense size", and gaga in this context refers to irrational $h!t. so the high chief is saying the rivers crisis is massively irrational/nonsensical. simples. so of course, the sahara guy was on track until he took decided to push his luck by taking us to the 16th century.

5 and 6 go together(when spelt correctly, of course!). like @richardbry pointed out, it's "mene, mene, tekel, upharsin" from daniel 5:25. no further elucidation required here as @kgdavid and @adenlemmanuel done did so already.

*...meander the interstices of eschewable cataract* - well, here's one for yo a$$! while interstices(plural) means small narrow spaces between stuff, eschewable is not a word. it's one of those words obahiagbon creates in order to drive his point(you know, like kakitomoboplutocracy). obviously created from eschew, eschewable would therefore mean, that which could be eschewed(haha!). cataract in this context should mean a furious/violent downpour of kasala.

**for a good number of the other phrases he used, like transmogrify(metamorphose), terminus a quo(starting point), fons et origo(source and origin), terminus ad quem(end point, destination), etc, etc...he did also state synonyms for the good of the lesser mortals.** cool
Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by Vansnickers: 5:04am On Aug 07, 2013
fr3do: No communication
He has forgotten the very true essence of language.

It's not his fault that you have a stunted Vocabulary.

1 Like

Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by Akpaife(m): 6:10am On Aug 07, 2013
I tot rivers crisis is over

1 Like

Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by ceah(m): 8:38am On Aug 07, 2013
jim jones:

the sahara reporters guy tried, innit...but he didn't have to go and start making some sh!t up. so i'll just address his made up sh!t:

4. gargantuan(NOT gargantua!) gaga - he aint referring to any 16th century bullsh!t. gargantuan, amongst other things, simply means "of immense size", and gaga in this context refers to irrational $h!t. so the high chief is saying the rivers crisis is massively irrational/nonsensical. simples. so of course, the sahara guy was on track until he took decided to push his luck by taking us to the 16th century.

5 and 6 go together(when spelt correctly, of course!). like @richardbry pointed out, it's "mene, mene, tekel, upharsin" from daniel 5:25. no further elucidation required here as @kgdavid and @adenlemmanuel done did so already.

*...meander the interstices of eschewable cataract* - well, here's one for yo a$$! while interstices(plural) means small narrow spaces between stuff, eschewable is not a word. it's one of those words obahiagbon creates in order to drive his point(you know, like kakitomoboplutocracy). obviously created from eschew, eschewable would therefore mean, that which could be eschewed(haha!). cataract in this context should mean a furious/violent downpour of kasala.

**for a good number of the other phrases he used, like transmogrify(metamorphose), terminus a quo(starting point), fons et origo(source and origin), terminus ad quem(end point, destination), etc, etc...he did also state synonyms for the good of the lesser mortals.** cool

Bro thanks ...I hereby confer on you the gargantua gaga cum gaga of nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by nellytivities(f): 1:52pm On Aug 08, 2013
Tekel tekel mene ........ this is found in the bible.
Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by ceah(m): 2:57pm On Aug 08, 2013
nellytivities: Tekel tekel mene ........ this is found in the bible.
"mene, mene, tekel, upharsin" from daniel 5:25.
Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by InvertedHammer: 6:49pm On Sep 19, 2013
jim jones:

perhaps coined from eschew = to avoid; eschewable = avoidable. Patrick! Patrick!!
Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by ehiejr(m): 12:12am On Oct 17, 2013
Patrick Obahiagbon is a man i admire. What he cannot be accused of is not being intelligent or well read. Ppl may condemn his mode of conversation, but what he achieves by the way he communicates is give those who are willing to quest for knowledge some mental pabulum ie. food for thought. Like what all commentators on this board are doing... discussing the meaning of what he said and in the process adding one or two words to our vocabulary. Just saying grin
Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by Aribarr: 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
jim jones:

That word is not higi haga but higgle-haggle and the other word parapoism is a compound word para and poise to get parapoise and then parapoism.

Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by Bamz(m): 12:05am On Aug 12, 2017
It's 2017, and I'm still in awe of this speech. So much grandiloquence in one being.
Re: Text And Meaning Of Patrick Obahiagbon's Discussion On Rivers Crisis - By Sowore by nenergy(m): 11:10pm On Nov 19, 2017
Interesting!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Albino Votes: Is This The Picture Of The Day From Osun Election? / Rhodes-Vivour, Labour Party Governorship Candidate Campaigns At Lagos Markets / President Buhari Visits Asiwaju Bola Tinubu In London (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.